This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State 2013/2014 - Third year in Oz

I felt they played much more as a team last night and the D was pretty solid. Our PP is still not what I personally would like to see, we need quicker passing to keep the opponent off balance and I still see no pucks being thrown across the crease from the sides for a player waiting on the opposite post. I thought this Miami team despite where they are ranked is not as strong an opponent as in the past and we should have been able to take them, not just play toe to toe.
    On a positive note I saw Dave Steckel and his family there last night. His little girl is quite a cutie.

Comment

I thought the Buckeyes did some good things. Hjelle was outstanding in net as usual and the D was pretty solid. Disappointed that Krogh took a stupid penalty late that allowed Miami to tie it up and eventually win in the shootout. Hopefully we come out and win tonight, as Klbaum1077 says, so we have a good feeling going into the break. I watched the game on BTN last night. Mrs 86 and I will be at tonight's game. Hope to see a good crowd there! According to the box score, there was 4300 and change at last night's game.

Comment

Like I said, we played much better as a team but even so someone or someones have to step up and make things happen out there. That's what Umberger did when he played here. We need a fire lit under our guys to attack non stop!

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
          Like I said, we played much better as a team but even so someone or someones have to step up and make things happen out there. That's what Umberger did when he played here. We need a fire lit under our guys to attack non stop!
          Absolutely, we need to always be attacking. There were some times when we were attacking last night, but then there were times when we weren't attacking. We need to be more consistent when it comes to that. Everyone needs to step up, too, rather than waiting for the next guy to make things happen.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
            Absolutely, we need to always be attacking. There were some times when we were attacking last night, but then there were times when we weren't attacking. We need to be more consistent when it comes to that. Everyone needs to step up, too, rather than waiting for the next guy to make things happen.
            The thing that comes to mind that reinforces this is we had a great up ice rush to the net and came away empty because of one pass too many. Got to pull the trigger!

Comment

The thing that comes to mind that reinforces this is we had a great up ice rush to the net and came away empty because of one pass too many. Got to pull the trigger!
              I totally agree with you here. they had so many chances last night to shoot the puck with a clear lane to shoot at and passed the puck

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                I totally agree with you here. they had so many chances last night to shoot the puck with a clear lane to shoot at and passed the puck
                Agree with you both. We have to start getting pucks on net. Good things happen when you shoot the puck. IIRC we only had 23 SOG last night. If we are going to get three points tonight we need to pepper their freshman goalies with shots.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                  Agree with you both. We have to start getting pucks on net. Good things happen when you shoot the puck. IIRC we only had 23 SOG last night. If we are going to get three points tonight we need to pepper their freshman goalies with shots.
                  If you rain pucks on net with guys in position someone should make a good play on a rebound.

Comment

Anyone else having trouble with the video feed?
                    2014-15 NCAA Weekly Pick'em Overall and NCAA Tournament Champion

Love and Honor

Comment

A disappointment to be certain. Miami stepped up their game tonight and we took a step back.
                      Although I believe if we played all game like we did after our goal we may have been able to take this game.
                      Oh well, maybe we'll come together enough that we can return the favor in their house come February.
                      Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 12-15-2012, 09:54 PM.

Comment

When you only play 15 minutes out of 60 you are going to lose everytime. This was very disappointing to watch from the start of the game until the buckeyes scored that goal Miami dominiated this game. Although that first Miami goal should have never happened because one of the Red Hawks stuck his stuck right up Matt Johnsons Jersey into his chin and held it there for about 5 seconds which caused the play that led to the goal. That really doesnt excuse the play of Ohio state which as i said was really poor. Once again they had chances right infront of the net and failed to bang in the goals. Lets hope the reverse from last year happens and we see a much different team come Jan 11 in Ferris. I know they play in Pittsburgh but have 2 weeks off i dont expect that much of a different team.

Comment

ENJOY the Christmas break. I know I need one after there play in tonights game. I hope the Bucks get rested up as the second half might be a long one. I hope the Bucks prove me wrong. " MERRY CHRISTMAS " to all Bucks & fans , Eh.
                          " PUT ME IN COACH. "

Comment

Our next opponent is "MIAMI" so even though there will be no points involved lets get the win for pride's sake. Have a Merry Christmas and a safe trip to Pittsburg for those who are going!

Comment

Not much to add here from me. That was ugly. The only player who came to play tonight was Hjelle. His saves kept us in this game (starting to sound like a broken record). Disappointing performance to say the least. In the post game show on AM 1460 the coach who was interviewed commented that we had energy in the third period. Well, um, yeah, since we didn't expend any in the first two periods. Miami dominated the first two periods. We were lucky it was only 2-0 going into the third period. The only positives I can think of from this one were the play of Hjelle and we tied them 1-1 in the third period. Other than that, that may have been as bad a two periods as we have played all season. I am really trying to ease up on the expectations, but in another year or two when Coach Osiecki has four or five recruiting classes here, my expectations are going to be ramped up, and I will not back off of them. I don't have a problem with a loss to the #5 team in the country that is loaded with NHL draft picks, but in any case, it's unacceptable to come out and play the way we did in those first two periods. Figured Coach would have them do Herbies after this one. "You don't want to work during the game, fine, we'll work now." A couple of Ken Hitchcock-isms came to mind watching tonight's game. "We wanted it to be easier than it was" and "We had too many guys under the bar tonight." It will be interesting to see how we play in Pittsburgh. I thought we had a nice sweep in East Lansing a couple weekends ago, but we've definitely taken a step in the wrong direction the past couple weekends. We'll see what happens in the second half of the season. Hopefully we see some improvement. On the other side of the coin, I am totally envious of the program Enrico Blasi has built down there in Oxford. Plus, he has lost some real good assistants in recent years and hasn't missed a beat. That tells me he is the mastermind of that program and it doesn't matter who the assistant coaches are. Well, that is enough venting from me. We just got in a half-hour ago. Must have been a bigger crowd than usual tonight because it took us longer to get out of the parking lot. I haven't checked the box score to see the attendance ... ok, 5,129, biggest crowd of the year. Hope everyone got home safe! Enjoy the holidays!
                              Last edited by osualum86; 12-16-2012, 12:47 AM.

Comment

So we head into the break sitting at 4th in the CCHA. Not far from moving up, or dropping down quickly. A lot of hockey left to be played. My hope is to do well enough in the 2nd half to finish top 5 and get that 1st round bye, or at worst host the 1st round. Pairwise # is 20-so within striking distance.

A few obvious thoughts. Oz needs to keep mixing the lines to generate scoring-need to start burying chances. Power Play? Ugly and needs to turn around in the 2nd half. Hjelle-keep it up please!

Lastly, I'm not quite sure how to explain this but we need to improve on puck control. Maybe do the egg drill from Might Ducks Puck just seems to hate our sticks-slides off, bounces off, over, etc. Passes to skates not sticks-and knowing where your teammates are on the ice-instead of just flying blind. Miami always seemed to be in sync except for a few moments here and there.

Have a great Holiday everyone!

Comment

Working...
                                X