• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Merrimack to add women's hockey

Yes or they can just read the bylaws.
    Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

Since you can't play up anymore, will the women's team be classified as D-II (unless can you match your men's D-I playup with a women's D-I playup?)? It's immaterial for women as there is a combined D-I/II NC for ice hockey. Scholly's are still 18 no matter what division you're in, so that's not a disadvantage.

D-II's playing women's ice hockey: Franklin Pierce, St. Anselm, St. Michaels. Get 3 more and you have a viable competitive conference that gets an AQ into the tournament.
      Last edited by joecct; 10-12-2012, 08:06 PM.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I thought the deal was that teams aren't allowed to be D-I in hockey and D-III in everything else. I don't believe there is a problem with being D-I in hockey and D-II in everything else, because that is still a scholarship program. For example, Lindenwood is D-I in women's hockey but will be D-II in most of its sports, and they are new to the NCAA as a department.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

The Women's Ice Hockey program will begin club play in 2013-14, with plans to compete at the NCAA Division I Level by 2016-17. Once an NCAA Division I program, Women's Ice Hockey will join the Hockey East Association.

http://www.merrimackathletics.com/sp...es/20121004WIH

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
            I thought the deal was that teams aren't allowed to be D-I in hockey and D-III in everything else. I don't believe there is a problem with being D-I in hockey and D-II in everything else, because that is still a scholarship program. For example, Lindenwood is D-I in women's hockey but will be D-II in most of its sports, and they are new to the NCAA as a department.
            Women have a combined D-I/II championship. Also, if your D-II sport does not sponsor a championship (D-II men's ice hockey), you're allowed to play in the D-I championship, but you're a D-II team. That would apply to any new D-II programs, not the current crop who declared their playup many moons ago. You CANNOT play for a lower championship (D-III).
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Job is posted on NCAA site:
              http://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/jobs#/detail/4984342

Comment

This ad creates more questions about the program. Probably the answers are honest but not yet published for the public.

One thing that jumps out is will this new coach be hired before an AD is hired? If so that would be very unusual.

Comment

Working...
                X