Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine 2012 - The Good, the Bad, or the Ugly??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maine 2012 - The Good, the Bad, or the Ugly??

One more observation about last night's game. After the UNB player committed the 5 minute major and game disqualification, Sweeney did not place another player in the penalty box. That occurred with approximately 1 minute left in the second period (I think). When the third period began, a UNB player was placed in the box.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
      I would wager there are more UNH fans than Maine fans in the Berwicks.
      Yeah
      more fans of Merrimack, BU, PC, Vermont, BC, UConn and every other HE school
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
        One more observation about last night's game. After the UNB player committed the 5 minute major and game disqualification, Sweeney did not place another player in the penalty box. That occurred with approximately 1 minute left in the second period (I think). When the third period began, a UNB player was placed in the box.
        I noticed that too. Someone tried to explain to me that it didn't matter because there was only 1 minute left in the period but I had to explain to them that it did matter. With no one serving the penalty everyone on the bench can play which is not how it's supposed to be. Someone needs to serve so that the team is actually penalized.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
          Some coaches have been trying to establish 4 on 4 hockey for the last few years. It's always up for discussion by the NCAA rules committee. Maine coach Whitehead has been a strong supporter of 4 on 4 in OT. The players love it and so do the fans. The main concern I have heard from those who oppose it, is that the team with the more skilled players has the advantage with 4 on 4. My point is, if a team is more skilled, then why is there a tie? I agree with you.
          I don't really agree with the statement that it helps the more skilled team. It helps the team that is more skilled in quickness, speed, and agility, but harms the team more skilled in player positioning and ability to play the body. I think it helps the more offensive-minded teams and hurts the more defensive-minded teams.
          bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
          SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
          All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
          A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
            Why is the NCAA so stubborn to change on this? It makes for more exciting hockey.

Does it have something to do with concern for rankings?
            I think it is because hockey is 5 on 5. Just as simple as that.

I do not understand why some leagues use the shoot out.. that is not "hockey" any more than a "shoot the puck in the cut out hole in plywood" between periods is.

If leagues are going to break ties using something other than hockey, then why don't the go to a random competition... spin wheel and pick any of:
            basketball free throws
            pin a tail on a donkey while blindfolded
            texas hold em
            dunk the AD by throwing a softball at a target.

none of those is any more "hockey" than a shoot out is.
            and that is why i think the NCAA does not want to tweak the on ice strength of teams in OT

Comment

How about at least using the ice and hockey equipment, KIA. They could:

-Play 2 on 2 - goalies and a skater each, but the skaters have to stay between the blue lines.
              -Move a goal to center ice and play with a short rink.
              -Make positioning lacrosse-style: two skaters have to stay in the O zone, 2 in the D zone, and 1 can go end to end.
              -Play 4-on-4: one guy playing goalie, but with regular equipment, and 3 skaters with goalie equipment.
              -Full strength end to end, but they have to use the lower end of a broken stick.
              -Connect their skates with a 12-inch rope to shorten their stride.
              -Make lefties use a righty stick and vice-versa.

The point is, having different rules for overtime changes the game. Changes it, perhaps, in its very essence. And, as a coach, that change could be very disadvantageous. Of course, for others it will be very advantageous. Shoot-outs, for example, favor a team built on offensive prowess. It favors the team that concentrates on sleight-of-hand stickwork and fancy puck-handling over a team that concentrates on position defense, playing the body, strong checking skills. While breakaways are a part of the game, they are not the manner in which it is played.

And the same is true with 4-on-4. It does happen in the course of the game, but it is not how the game is played. As I said in a previous post, it helps the team built on speed and quickness and hurts the team of bruisers. If you've got a team of mini-mite speedsters and you're going to play a team of brutes (BC vs. 'Hack?), do you want to play the game on a small, short, narrow rink or on an Olympic rink? On the Olympic sheet, of course - your guys will have more room to maneuver and avoid the bruisers who would rather clog the lanes and have a body in the way at all times. So that same speedy team should be in favor of 4-on-4 OT, since the basic change to the game gives them an advantage.

We could argue the benefits and drawbacks to speedster-focused versus bruiser-focused hockey. You and I may prefer one style to the other, but both are valid styles of playing the game and I don't think it is fair to fundamentally change the game in OT, thereby giving one style an advantage.
              bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
              SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
              All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
              A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                How about at least using the ice and hockey equipment, KIA. They could:

-Play 2 on 2 - goalies and a skater each, but the skaters have to stay between the blue lines.
                -Move a goal to center ice and play with a short rink.
                -Make positioning lacrosse-style: two skaters have to stay in the O zone, 2 in the D zone, and 1 can go end to end.
                -Play 4-on-4: one guy playing goalie, but with regular equipment, and 3 skaters with goalie equipment.
                -Full strength end to end, but they have to use the lower end of a broken stick.
                -Connect their skates with a 12-inch rope to shorten their stride.
                -Make lefties use a righty stick and vice-versa.

The point is, having different rules for overtime changes the game. Changes it, perhaps, in its very essence. And, as a coach, that change could be very disadvantageous. Of course, for others it will be very advantageous. Shoot-outs, for example, favor a team built on offensive prowess. It favors the team that concentrates on sleight-of-hand stickwork and fancy puck-handling over a team that concentrates on position defense, playing the body, strong checking skills. While breakaways are a part of the game, they are not the manner in which it is played.

And the same is true with 4-on-4. It does happen in the course of the game, but it is not how the game is played. As I said in a previous post, it helps the team built on speed and quickness and hurts the team of bruisers. If you've got a team of mini-mite speedsters and you're going to play a team of brutes (BC vs. 'Hack?), do you want to play the game on a small, short, narrow rink or on an Olympic rink? On the Olympic sheet, of course - your guys will have more room to maneuver and avoid the bruisers who would rather clog the lanes and have a body in the way at all times. So that same speedy team should be in favor of 4-on-4 OT, since the basic change to the game gives them an advantage.

We could argue the benefits and drawbacks to speedster-focused versus bruiser-focused hockey. You and I may prefer one style to the other, but both are valid styles of playing the game and I don't think it is fair to fundamentally change the game in OT, thereby giving one style an advantage.
                Liked the 4-4...even when we had the SH situation....made it exciting....and I am a traditionalist still call them sweaters and not jerseys... only wish we had gotten there the night before...not sure I want to go to shoot out though

marty and Morris looked good overall...Marty played big , morris played athletic and quick all good... PP needs work, but will come in short order. ,Cornell seems to get puck off quick and on net, we need bodies there.. Pryor can skate, but is too on the edge at the moment. On D, Rutt didn't have a great weekend, Nemec finally looked like he realised he was a big guy out there, and a mature player, Hutton is going to get burned soon, as he learns, but some talent there...Norman....well.....his brother plays pro....maybe that's the link...looked scared out there.....

Anthoine needs to step up, Beattie too, too much talent not too score early and often, Joe's hit wasn't egregious and maybe speaking to the refs before the games will help, but he has to learn that he doesn't get a second chance....leadership is a funny thing that way
                , Liked Shore, Ceratani's speed, Higgins/Shemmy/Anthoine could do some damage over the year....Liedermark seems to be in decent shape and that can only help, Swavelys looked like they worked hard until Sr got drilled in knee..Merchant may be the sleeper.........Even Riley upfront was encouraging......2 down , 38 to go...hang to your toques.........

Comment

It works in the NHL because there are 82 games and you get an OTL point. College has half the games and no extra point; I don't know how difficult it would be to incorporate that extra point into RPI and PWR.

I saw something once that said even without OTL points most years there's no change to the NHL playoff field. I'm not entirely sure that'd be the case in the NCAAs so in my opinion I think that's why you won't see it.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                  43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                  104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                  3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

I know Orono is a heck of a long way from Kansas City, but, is there any organized contingent of Maine fans coming to Kansas City this weekend? At a cursory glance, I didn't even see any mention of the Icebreaker in this thread, even.

Comment

• Re: Maine 2012 - The Good, the Bad, or the Ugly??

That's because we Maine fans are dreading it.

Comment

Jon Swavely blocked a shot in Sunday's game and took a shot to the knee by the puck. Hopefully, no long term damage. His younger brother Steve was HE rookie of the week.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                          I know Orono is a heck of a long way from Kansas City, but, is there any organized contingent of Maine fans coming to Kansas City this weekend? At a cursory glance, I didn't even see any mention of the Icebreaker in this thread, even.
                          My travel budget is sort of maxed out. I was in St.Louis last October (year too early). Notre Dame tied the national under 18 development team 1-1 in OT. Should be a good game with Maine.

Comment

I just hope that Maine can beat Army, nevermind Notre Dame..........

Beattie hasn't played well since his buddy Sirman left.

Comment

So, aside from half descent goaltending, are there any other positives to take out of these first couple of games? I don't give us much of a chance of beating Notre Dame either on fri.
                              Last edited by '93,'99,??; 10-09-2012, 09:39 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by '93,'99,?? View Post
                                So, aside from half descent goaltending, are there any other positives to take out of these first couple of games? I don't give us much of a chance of beating Notre Dame either on fri.
                                I thought that most of the new players looked pretty good. It's going to take some time this year for guys to get used to playing together, no two ways about it.
                                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Working...
                                X