Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine 2012 - The Good, the Bad, or the Ugly??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine 2012 - The Good, the Bad, or the Ugly??

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
    How many years does Whitehead have left on his contract?
    I'm almost certain it runs through the end of the '13/'14 season.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Bleedblue44 View Post
      you dont think fan support can boost a team up? Or constant mindless nitpicking can make them feel even worse ? I beg to differ...
      Again, what's said on here is irrelevant. That's different than fan support at the game.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
        They are all grinders, 3rd or 4th line other than Joey.
        Have you seen Shore in person? I haven't....curious what you think? Curious what you think has happened to Sully?

I did not expect the team to be this bad....didn't expect anything great but there's no way I though it would be like this...

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
        43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
        104-47-14 (.669) in that time
        3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
          Have you seen Shore in person? I haven't....curious what you think? Curious what you think has happened to Sully?

I did not expect the team to be this bad....didn't expect anything great but there's no way I though it would be like this...
          Sully is a #3 on a good team... Always has been.

Marty is quicker and more athletic, no reason not to give him some work, but even Patrick Roy in his prime couldn't salvage Timmy's mess.

Maine will likely improve as the year goes on, but that's setting the bar nearly as low as it can go, considering their only win came against one of the very few teams in the nation that is demonstrably worse.

Timmy enjoyed a perfect storm last year by his standards, and the result was a squeak-in/early exit in the NCAAs, which seems to be as much as Maine can hope for every 4 years or so under his leadership.

The empirical evidence is clear: this program has hit rock-bottom, no ifs ands or buts... To argue otherwise is insane.
          Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-10-2012, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            When Whitehead's contract was extended three summers ago (2010?) he had just strung together the three worst consecutive seasons at UMaine since the final years of the Semler regime. Yet even those three seasons ('07/'08 thru '09/'10) were arguably better on the whole than Walshy's first three years at the helm. Since that extension, he has posted two winning seasons with progressively better records than the previous year. Sure, this season is off to a nightmarish start, but you gotta figure for a program that's for all intents and purposes only ever really had three (3) head coaches in its 35 year history, they are not trigger-happy, and are gonna let him at least finish out his full contract. Buying him out would be pretty expensive, and you'd have to pay his successor too. If he doesn't right the ship by Winter 2014, then I'm guessing you will probably get your wish at that point. But if he somehow gets the program back to the NCAA's in the next year or two, he might be signed up to a lifetime contract ...
            Have you seen the on ice product that has been produced by TW..?

Comment

Is that Jim Montgomery?? And if so, just what are he and Grant doing out in Iowa (aside from winning titles etc.) instead of Orono????

Sorry I've been away for awhile, consider this my first (of likely many) Rip van Winkle moments ...
              Its Jimmy, he is 11-0-1 right now or something like that. Grant isn't out there as far as I know.
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Change is good. Bald is even better.

According to Whitedead in his post BC game interview, there would be no more excuses, and Maine would be ready for Sundays game. Yeah, riiiiiiight.
                Last edited by all bear; 11-05-2012, 06:42 AM.
                sure why not

Comment

Goals Scored, Least:

1. Princeton 3 (2 games played)
                  2. Connecticut 4 (5 games played)
                  3. Brown 5 (4 games played)
                  4. Lowell 8 (5 games played)
                  5. Harvard 9 (3 games played)
                  6. MAINE 10 (9 games played)
                  6. Cornell 10 (3 games played)
                  6. Canisius 10 (8 games played)

Goals allowed, most

1. Alabama Huntsville 38 (8 games played)
                  2. Sacred Heart 36 (7 games played)
                  3. MAINE 30 (9 games played)

Maine hockey: better than Sacred Heart?

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                    Have you seen the on ice product that has been produced by TW..?
                    Yeah, and I don't disagree with that. But the scary thing if you're a UMaine fan is that he's been around for almost a dozen years, and the school thought enough of his work back in 2010 to extend him a year early by another three years. Then the last two years' UMaine teams have been better than anything he did in the three years preceding his extension. So my point is that despite this year's obvious downturn so far, I don't see the folks at UMaine pulling the plug early on their coach, and while there may not be another early extension in the offing, I'll be surprised if he does not return to finish out his current contract next season. And if the Black Bears get off to a good start next season, you folks may have Coach Whitehead for a few more years.

walrus - check out the Dubuque Fighting Saints USHL website, and guess who's working as Montgomery's "goaltender consultant" ...
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                      Goals Scored, Least:

5. Princeton 3 (2 games played) 1.5/game
                      1. Connecticut 4 (5 games played) .8/
                      3. Brown 5 (4 games played) 1.2/
                      6. Lowell 8 (5 games played)1.6/
                      7. Harvard 9 (3 games played) 3/
                      2. MAINE 10 (9 games played) 1.1/
                      8. Cornell 10 (3 games played) 3.3/
                      4. Canisius 10 (8 games played) 1.3/

Goals allowed, most

2. Alabama Huntsville 38 (8 games played) 4.75/game
                      1. Sacred Heart 36 (7 games played) 5.1/
                      3. MAINE 30 (9 games played) 3.3/

Maine hockey: better than Sacred Heart?
                      Winning Percentages, Worst:
                      Princeton .000 0-2-0
                      Alabama-Huntsville .062 0-7-1 (tied Minn. State)
                      Sacred Heart .071 0-6-1 (tied Army)
                      UConn .100 0-4-1 (tied Union)
                      Maine .111 1-8-0 (beat Army)
                      bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                      SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                      All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                      A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Yeah, and I don't disagree with that. But the scary thing if you're a UMaine fan is that he's been around for almost a dozen years, and the school thought enough of his work back in 2010 to extend him a year early by another three years. Then the last two years' UMaine teams have been better than anything he did in the three years preceding his extension. So my point is that despite this year's obvious downturn so far, I don't see the folks at UMaine pulling the plug early on their coach, and while there may not be another early extension in the offing, I'll be surprised if he does not return to finish out his current contract next season. And if the Black Bears get off to a good start next season, you folks may have Coach Whitehead for a few more years.
                        The AD and president of the University have turned over since Whitehead's last extension.

Granted, the current AD doesn't even live in the Orono/Bangor area, so who knows how much of a **** he gives, or if he is eyeing a run for something somewhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                          Let me ask you something, is every Maine hockey fan a graduate of the university? It's a ******** point even for your standards. If there were no subway alums as they're called, college hockey would be even more irrelevant than it already is in the grand scheme of things. Part of what made Maine hockey great was the fan support, many of which didn't go to the university.
                          That wasn't my point
                          Bc tries to sell itself as an excellent academic institution
                          Some fans make the school look bad
                          If those fans admit that they went to community college, it helps bc save face

Comment

Hey I would like to see Jim Montgomery as the next Umaine coach as much as the next UMaine fan. But I was told something about Mr. Montgomery's that may keep him from becoming a coach at UMaine. Really hoping it wasn't true, has anyone else heard anything?

Comment

walrus - check out the Dubuque Fighting Saints USHL website, and guess who's working as Montgomery's "goaltender consultant" ...
                              The school didnt think enough of him, his dope buddy Blake James did who was AD at the time and has since moved on. Believe me, there's no love for Whitehead I can find. As far as Grant working the goalies in Dubuque....old news.
                              Last edited by all bear; 11-05-2012, 09:17 AM.
                              sure why not

Comment

I had to laugh outloud, when Sully was quoted in the BDN as saying" I thought he was going to come in on me. next time...." Knodle is as big as a house, expecting a spin-o-rama sully??? or a toe drag....He is too deep in his net 4th goal, but he is every game... Wrister from 35 feet +/-....Ouellette deserved the start....but Tim Ghandi couldn't adimit he was "not right" . Pryor is making me long for Heggerty.....4 years of nothing....3rd goal he got beat like a rented mule by the UNH player on a scramble. PP, D - D, rim it in...and then cough it up at the blue line...odd man rush on PK for UNH....I know there are injuries, and Parker and Swavely would help...but still not enough. Anthoine..of the magic hands?? no goals...Shemansky...miss empty netters...Ceratani takes a lot of silly penalties as does O'Connor, keeps slashing instead of moving his feet....Any news on Higgins? He was helped off after blocking a shot.....Has anyone seen a BB practice...lots of standing around, no intensity...Tim has become Captain Video, and has forgotten that video only works if guys are ready to play physical, grinding hockey...... Do we even have a forecheck?

Comment

Working...
                                X