Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine 2012 - The Good, the Bad, or the Ugly??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine 2012 - The Good, the Bad, or the Ugly??

Originally posted by Hockeypuck View Post
    Not sure what the point is, but Maine has only had two recruits commit since April so that would explain the lack of coverage. The fact that you base the quality of a recruit by the headline on USHR is comical considering recent players like Nyquist, Flynn, and Abbott got very little coverage and turned out to be top players not only in HE, but the country. Plus at this point most of us don't need lack of USHR headlines to tell us Maine sucks the proof is on the ice.
    Again, those guys were all recruited 5 or 6 years ago, when Maine was still somewhat respected, I'm talking recently.

Comment

Originally posted by '93,'99,?? View Post
      Ultimately, this is all good news. This is the ONLY way Tim will ever get removed. The wheels needed to come completely off the cart. Now just don't show at coming home games and that may finally do the trick. If only 1-2,000 show at the Alfond, something will have to be done. We needed to hit rock bottom but we had been flirting with mediocrity. Just enough to keep him there.
      yup,
      a few of us had been saying this since about 2008.
      and YES, hoping that the team would lose every game, so that Maine may have a decent team once again

Comment

I love everything that is Maine hockey. Please fire Whitehead!

Comment

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
          Again, those guys were all recruited 5 or 6 years ago, when Maine was still somewhat respected, I'm talking recently.
          I don't follow.....this team stinks because there are no recruits for 2 years from now? Heisenberg has 10 USHL guys coming to Maine in 13 or 14....I'm not up on my junior hockey but the thing for years was "Get guys that are good enough to play in the USHL instead of Jr Monarchs." So it's gotta be something right?

A number of teams have a few for '15 listed maybe that's the point?

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
          43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
          104-47-14 (.669) in that time
          3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
            I don't follow.....this team stinks because there are no recruits for 2 years from now? Heisenberg has 10 USHL guys coming to Maine in 13 or 14....I'm not up on my junior hockey but the thing for years was "Get guys that are good enough to play in the USHL instead of Jr Monarchs." So it's gotta be something right?

A number of teams have a few for '15 listed maybe that's the point?
            Just because you have kids coming from the USHL doesn't mean a thing. The top kids in the USHL are obviously good recruits, but there are dozens and dozens of lesser players/recruits that are hardly going to become college All-Americans. It's pretty simple, the kids that teams like BC, BU, MN, Michigan, NoDak, DU, etc get are the top players in their age group in the country. They are on all the select teams, they are typically high draft picks and have been singled out for their play since they were pee-wees. These are not the kids that Maine is getting on a regular basis anymore and you are certainly not winning recruiting battles against those aforementioned teams. Not long ago, you were getting guys like Janik, Moore, the Heisten brothers, the Kariya brothers, Howard, etc, etc, but not so much anymore. It's pretty simple, when you've scored 10 combined goals in going 1-6 in 7 games, 4 of which were against a very weak Army team, the rest against mediocre teams at best, you clearly don't have much talent.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBlackBears View Post
              4000 anyway for each game.
              Maybe closer to sellouts for each game.......it's BC and UNH for cripes sake. Maybe Maine fans last chance to see really good teams play at Alfond this season.......this is NOT the weekend that attendance falls off........after this however, look out below..........

Comment

People will continue to go because let's face it, what else is there to do??
                Curse of the Timmy

Comment

Originally posted by Gusforhobey View Post
                  People will continue to go because let's face it, what else is there to do??
                  Old Town High girl's volleyball is free, right?
                  and you and your family will save at least $100

little kids will still see the big kids in uniforms and be impressed...

and it is not like the volleyball players have a worse chance of getting to the big leagues than Timmy's players, so nobody is missing out on seeing the next paul kariya "when he played for maine"

Comment

Just because you have kids coming from the USHL doesn't mean a thing. The top kids in the USHL are obviously good recruits, but there are dozens and dozens of lesser players/recruits that are hardly going to become college All-Americans. It's pretty simple, the kids that teams like BC, BU, MN, Michigan, NoDak, DU, etc get are the top players in their age group in the country. They are on all the select teams, they are typically high draft picks and have been singled out for their play since they were pee-wees. These are not the kids that Maine is getting on a regular basis anymore and you are certainly not winning recruiting battles against those aforementioned teams. Not long ago, you were getting guys like Janik, Moore, the Heisten brothers, the Kariya brothers, Howard, etc, etc, but not so much anymore. It's pretty simple, when you've scored 10 combined goals in going 1-6 in 7 games, 4 of which were against a very weak Army team, the rest against mediocre teams at best, you clearly don't have much talent.
                    Maine having an entire entering class from the USHL is actually a pretty big deal.
                    there have been a few classes of mosty Eastern League kids... like pretty much all monarchs... but not the monarchs that BU or BC wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                      I love everything that WAS Maine hockey. Please fire Whitehead!
                      fyp

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                        Just when y'all are showing acceptance to a crappy season and hoping for a coaching change, the Black Bears will knock off BC and UNH next week.
                        That's enough outta you!
                        bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                        SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                        All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                        A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

BC beat Lowell 6-3 so they will stay at the #1 ranking. Hopefully that will get the team fired up...or the opposite
                          Curse of the Timmy

Comment

This BC team does not have the scoring depth of past teams. The top 2 forward lines are both excellent and can score with anyone, but it drops off badly after that, with what in reality is two 4th lines that have yet to produce a single point. There are some new faces on Defense, and while this was somewhat of a question mark going into the season, they have played quite well, especially Matheson and Doherty who have pretty much fit right in from the get-go. Milner is having another strong season thus far with a .931 save % and a GAA just under 2. If Maine can shut down the two top lines, they have a chance.

Comment

If Maine can shut down the two top lines, they have a chance.
                              First, Maine's defense is horrible.
                              Second, Maine's offense is horrible.
                              Third, Maine's goal tending is mediocre at best.

The chance of Maine shutting down BC's top two lines is very close to zero. The chances of Maine scoring more than one goal is not great either.

Comment

Any good hockey east recruits playing for the Indiana Ice?

Florida College Classic aside, because it's a good vacation and there are some good teams this year, I've decided to take the money I usually spend on webcasting and use it to actually watch hockey (or is that to watch actual hockey?)
                                1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Working...
                                X