Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine 2012 - The Good, the Bad, or the Ugly??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine 2012 - The Good, the Bad, or the Ugly??

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    I don't want to stir-up any infighting here; there is clearly a generational difference in terms of what is considered acceptable re: Maine's performance, but all of us pull hard for the Bears just the same.

Still, as Wally likes to say: "This is not your daddy's Maine team", and it hasn't been so since about 2003. The bar from the late 80's until then was set high, as in, top-5 nationally... These days, we salivate at getting the odd one-and-done in the NCAAs every several years. Apples and oranges.

Maine might not be too far gone to land a coach who can revive the program, though... Look at how Brian Kelly resuscitated a ND football program that had been left for dead for years.

Having said that, if Whitehead somehow gets renewed yet again, clearly the AD has thrown in the towel, and Maine has become another Northeastern for keeps.

I do NOT expect a cup of coffee as a low seed in the tournament in this season or the next... Does anyone?
    If Vegas had the ODDS out on that...could very well be 100 to 1.

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
      Agree with some of this but the goaltending....it is never under Whitehead a sure thing. I just hope Sully doesnt lose his confidence over one or two bad games because I dont think this coach knows how to handle goalies, never mind one that has lost confidence.
      Handle the Goaltenders...he can't handle in game planning...there's never a Plan b or c...just Plan a and if it doesn't work,oh well....you can fill in the blank type excuse you will read in the BDNews the following day....ask Matt Lundin what he thinks of the Great TW.

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
        Agree with some of this but the goaltending....it is never under Whitehead a sure thing. I just hope Sully doesnt lose his confidence over one or two bad games because I dont think this coach knows how to handle goalies, never mind one that has lost confidence.
        I'm not sure that Sully will ever be any more than a *slightly* below-average goalie whether he's confident or not, and I can't figure out why anyone else would think differently, based on the evidence.

The problem with Tim has always been his lack of recruiting, and having Dan as his #1 'tender speaks volumes about that.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
          Absolutely, especially next year.
          I hope you're right, but I doubt it... Maine hasn't skated a complete team in 10 years, and this one has some major holes in it, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by '93,'99,??
            The difference between winning and losing in div 1 coll hockey is a fine line.
            What

Comment

Originally posted by GoUNH View Post
              What
              Good point.
              'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Article on Bill Norman in today's BDN. Matt Morris pleased with win but wasn't scheduled to play.

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/10/1...ef=regionstate

Comment

Originally posted by GoUNH View Post
                  What
                  Well, in the case of UNH it's a rather thick fine line.
                  sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                    Article on Bill Norman in today's BDN. Matt Morris pleased with win but wasn't scheduled to play.

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/10/1...ef=regionstate
                    Maybe we will see Ouillette in net this Friday to completer the rotation. Maybe he will also be getting the nod after not expecting to play. He looked good at the NB game from what I heard.

Comment

Originally posted by fiqure8 View Post
                      Maybe we will see Ouillette in net this Friday to completer the rotation. Maybe he will also be getting the nod after not expecting to play. He looked good at the NB game from what I heard.
                      You may be right in terms of Ouellette starting the St. Lawrence game, but I would sooner think that Sullivan will go if healthy. He established the starting role late in the past season and I feel he will get the start Friday. We may see a different goal tender Saturday, depends I think on how he and the team perform on Friday. I agree with you on Ouellette, in fact all three goal tenders have done well. It's hard for me at this point to say if one is better than another.

Comment

You hear players rave about Marty in practice, haven't seen it in a game yet
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Both Marty and Matt look very good in the UNB game and Marty on Friday would be a wise move with Sully on Saturday. Maybe some type of rotation in future weekends might not be such a bad idea either keeping up confidence levels along with being game ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                            You may be right in terms of Ouellette starting the St. Lawrence game, but I would sooner think that Sullivan will go if healthy. He established the starting role late in the past season and I feel he will get the start Friday. We may see a different goal tender Saturday, depends I think on how he and the team perform on Friday. I agree with you on Ouellette, in fact all three goal tenders have done well. It's hard for me at this point to say if one is better than another.
                            My biggest question is do you think a 3 goaltender rotation can work..? IMO I don't think so...sooner or later someone will be the #1 and the other two will battle it out for #2/backup status....and think about it,this could be the same next season...meaning 3 tenders/Sullivan and Ouellette will be Seniors and Morris will be a Sophmore. I guess we will see this run it's course over the next few games...3 in the net won't work imo.

Comment

Did Joe Kennedy get done as the public address announcer?
                              When you say Tim Whitehead, You haven't said much!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                                I hope you're right, but I doubt it... Maine hasn't skated a complete team in 10 years, and this one has some major holes in it, too.
                                True but it doesn't take '93 Maine to make the tourney anymore. I figure with Sully as a senior and this year's freshmen being sophs, simply making the tourney next year shouldn't be unreasonable. Basically, finishing in the top 4 in HEA should take care of that....not sure how Notre Dame and the shifts out west will change the numbers but still.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                                43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                                104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                                3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Working...
                                X