This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Northeastern 2012-2013 Season Thread: A New Hope

Roy is a hell of a player. I was extremely impressed with him and Saucerman. With your upcoming non conference schedule I would maybe play both goalies to figure out who is the number one guy. Manson looks like he could be a solid big hitting defenseman if he kept his hands down because he got stupid Bigos-esque penalties. Good luck the rest of the way.
    Rinks Visited
    DCU Center
    Tulley Forum
    TD Garden
    Tsongas Arena
    J. Thom Lawler Arena
    Conte Forum
    Whittemore Center
    Agganis Arena
    Verizon Center
    Gutterson Fieldhouse
    Matthews Arena
    Thompson Arena
    Mullins Center
    Alfond Arena
    Schneider Arena
    Magness Arena
    Ingallas Arena
    Hart Center
    Prudential Center
    TD Bank Sports Center
    John A Ryan
    Lynah Rink
    Appleton Arena
    Cheel Arena
    Germain Arena
    XL Center
    Class of 1965 Arena

Comment

The lack of scoring after the first period is a growing concern. Outside of the first period, we added a "garbage time" goal on Friday night, and got shut out on Saturday night. Is this a lack of in-game adjustments from the coaching staff? The running total for the season is 14 total goals, with 11 coming in the first period.

The powerplay got a couple goals over the weekend, but the PK is killing this team. It's not just the PK, but the kinds of penalties resulting in PK situations. I have seen a ton of completely dumb penalties already this season, with Ferriero, Vermeersch and Pimm the main culprits. I'm not sure if anyone is ever going to get through to Ferriero, as he was benched several times last year as well. It seems as though if we can keep things at 5v5 we can compete with anyone, but we've been saying that for a few years now. Discipline definitely seems to be an issue, and with a bad PK, it becomes a very prevalent one.

The freshmen class overall looks very solid. Highlighted by Roy, I also like what I've seen from McMurtry and Saucerman. Lauwers, though technically a sophomore, has also been pretty impressive. Some penalties committed by them, but I think it's mostly just "adjusting to the college game" kinds of penalties.

Comment

Originally posted by RossiRules View Post
        They are simply going to hit you after the whistle and cross check and charge you into the boards when they are winning or losing and as a fan to be truthful its fairly fun hockey to watch but at nearly $20 bucks a ticket I was really hopeing for a slightly better product. Don’t get me wrong, I like dirty hockey, so, I am fine with it

I, for one, am shocked by this.
        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

The special teams are god awful and the line changes made after the BC game have resulted in no offense. On the bright side, Roy is already the most dangerous player on the team and has 6 points in 7 games. But they need to get the lines figured out because there is no chemistry with all the shifting.
          Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
          Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

The UNH loss in the last seconds really stung.. kinda set the tone for the last couple gms. Too bad they were all HE gms.. anyway, this wknd cant come soon enough. Hopefully get 2 Ws, figure out the discipline, the lines, get some confidence back at goaltending, scoring, special teams etc & back at it.
            GO NU HOCKEY
            Always bullish on the future.
            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by steve66 View Post
              Where is Gunn?

As of two weeks ago, Gunn was skating, and was expecting to be ready to go by the time the team returns from the Christmas break.

Comment

If Gunn isn't going to be available until after the holiday break, then why not just redshirt him and preserve a full year of eligibility?
                "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                  If Gunn isn't going to be available until after the holiday break, then why not just redshirt him and preserve a full year of eligibility?
                  He's already 20 so I doubt he'd stay 4 more years if he redshirted. That, and he could help us make the HE tourney, because Lord knows, we're going to be fighting to get in.
                  2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                  2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

15 wins and .500 in Hockey East? Are you kidding me Rossi? Are you really at the games? Find me more then 5 wins on the Hockey East schedule now? UMASS and UVM are going to probably defend their home ice against us. i would not be surprised if Maine does too. The forwards, which were supposed to be deep and the best part of this team have stunk up the joint. The goalies, all of them run hot and cold from shot to shot. The defense which was supposed to be the weak point has actually been stronger then most expected, and that is with just 5 guys playing minutes back there. The coaching? Do not get me started at how worthless the three of them have been for the past 15 or so months in charge. I could deal with the team stinking up the joint on special teams, that carried over from the previous staff, but slowly but surely they are starting to lose it at even strength too. We could at least count on the team winning puck battles, winning along the boards, winning at 5 on 5. Well, not anymore. And lets be honest, the defense is going to fall down sooner rather then later. They are playing way WAY above their heads right now.

This team is sunk at this point. IF they can manage more then 5 league wins from here on out, they maybe, MAYBE can scratch out 8th place. But almost a third way through the conference schedule, and 5 points out of a possible 14, done. Stick a fork in them.

Fast start indeed Jim! But, ya know. Keep blaming the league for scheduling us only regular season games in October. And blame Roby for the conflict with Cronin and his idiot hiring. Don't blame the guy actually coaching (at least attempting to) the squad.

IF there is one thing to take out of Jim's tenure so far, is that he is not afraid to bench/suspend guys. So he has that going for him.
                    DogHouse Graduate 2001

Comment

• Re: Northeastern 2012-2013 Season Thread: A New Hope

According to Vancouver scout Judd Brackett on his twitter account, Michael Szmatula of Dubuque of USHL has committed to NU.
                      https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                      Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

is he a goalie? if so, can he register for the spring semester?
                        my huskies > your huskies

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                          According to Vancouver scout Judd Brackett on his twitter account, Michael Szmatula of Dubuque of USHL has committed to NU.
                          Mad Dog Madigan strikes again!!!

USHR says this is very similar to what happened with Kevin Roy.

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                            How is he as a player,anyone have some stats or commentary?

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Husky View Post
                              How is he as a player,anyone have some stats or commentary?
                              Over-ager leading his team in scoring. But over a point per game is pretty **** good in the USHL. Played last year in the Maritimes league. Not many Americans go up there to play. No idea on whether he's viewed as a top six or bottom six guy. Hopefully he's just a late bloomer.

Comment

Originally posted by WDR357 View Post
                                Over-ager leading his team in scoring. But over a point per game is pretty **** good in the USHL. Played last year in the Maritimes league. Not many Americans go up there to play. No idea on whether he's viewed as a top six or bottom six guy. Hopefully he's just a late bloomer.
                                According to USHR, Szmatula committed to Sacred Heart in May, and decommitted last month. He was the MVP and scoring leader of the Maritime Junior Hockey League last season. Back in September USHR described Szmatula as a diamond in the rough for Sacred Heart. They also expected other programs to start sniffing around.

Comment

Working...
                                X