X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Northeastern 2012-2013 Season Thread: A New Hope

No NU talk at all??
    Husky Hockey heading to the top of the bottom!

Comment

Went to my first game of the year and saw the best goaltending performance by a NU goalie since Brad Thiessen. Bryan Mountain should start every game unless his play dictates otherwise. Play him every minute of every game.
      I was impressed by all of the frosh forwards. Kevin Roy has the potential to be another Jason Guerriero, great passer, good shot, sees the ice very well. Other players will love to be on the ice with him; but any comparisons with Johnny Gaudreau are not relevant; he is no Johnny Gaudreau; schools like NU get a player like Gaudreau about once every 20 years. Oh I forgot Gaudreau never went to NU!
      Cody Ferriero played very well, but he has to learn to control his temper. There are more sophisticated ways to inflict pain on your opponent than hitting them after the whistle.
      He should read “The Prince” by the great Italian, Nicola Machiavelli.
      The biggest surprise of the night was the improved play by Ben Oskroba. He is skating much better this year and all of the other areas of his game have made significant improvement. If he keeps playing this well then by the end of the year he could be NU’s best D man. I know a lot more about basketball and football than I do about hockey, but why was there no D to D passing by the NU defense? New Hampshire quickly adjusted to that fact and Dick Umile ,had his players ignore the NU D men when they were in the New Hampshire zone. They were playing 5 on the 3 NU forwards?
      Question of the month. Harvard had a men’s basketball head coach for 6 years who had the reputation of being the last coach to show up for practice and the first one to leave; who is he? His record was 58 wins and 98 losses for .372 %W-L records. He was unceremoniously dismissed as coach after the 1990-1991, season.

Comment

Originally posted by steve66 View Post
        No NU talk at all??
        There was a bunch here,it was a good thread.things are heating up,it's a great time to be a Huskies fan and Bryan Mountain

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...stern-10-26-27

Comment

I think you go back to the opening night lines but I love having this much forward depth. Also, Mountain has to be the starter until he has a bad game at this point. Still #15 in the nationl. I'll take it. Let's take it to Mack Friday.
          Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
          Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Just highlight's the questionable decision to let Gillies out of his LOI. Makes just no sense. They have no goalie!
            You really don't know what you're talking about, but I guess we are all entitled to our uninformed opinions.

Comment

Mountain > Rawlings. I don't care about the statistics.
              ..Withstanding pain at Matthews since Trevor Reschny was a freshman..
              ...Cover Boston news and sports for Dirty Water Media http://dirtywatermedia.com/
              .....@RealJayKenney on twitter https://***********/RealJayKenney

Comment

I had low expectations heading into the season for this team with the large amounts of freshmen, especially on the blue line, but I have been very pleasantly surprised so far. Four games against very good offenses--two games against BC and two against UNH--and the defense has been very solid. My expectations for the team have definitely increased, but there are a couple areas of vast concern to me:

-The powerplay is absolutely atrocious. They converted on their second chance of the season and have since gone 0-21. I have noticed several different personal combinations on the ice, even using 2 d-men at times earlier in the season, and nothing seems to have worked. I know it's early in the season, and I'm hoping this improves, especially once Roy gets acclimated. However, the huskies haven't had a decent pp in a few years.

-The offense seems to shut down after the first period. Ten goals scored on the season so far, 8 of which have come in the first period. The other two? An ENG by Vrolyk against Merrimack and that fluky goal by Saucerman from neutral ice against bc. It's great to get off to a fast start in games, but you have to keep the pedal down.

-Karlsson has been completely invisible so far. I have noticed numerous bad passes and turnovers from him. As the team's leading scorer from last season, he definitely needs to pick it up for this offense to click.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskies of NU View Post
                  -Karlsson has been completely invisible so far. I have noticed numerous bad passes and turnovers from him. As the team's leading scorer from last season, he definitely needs to pick it up for this offense to click.
                  .. no kidding. His stickhandling has been atrocious. New stick? Figure it out quick 'Famous Warrior'..
                  GO NU HOCKEY
                  Always bullish on the future.
                  We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Ryecheers View Post
                    You really don't know what you're talking about, but I guess we are all entitled to our uninformed opinions.
                    Please explain? Why should they have let him out?

Comment

Where is Gunn?

Comment

Please explain? Why should they have let him out?
                        If you're still asking this question you have proven his point about not knowing what you're talking about.
                        Originally posted by reBlur
                        the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                          If you're still asking this question you have proven his point about not knowing what you're talking about.
                          Are you going to tell me that because Rawlings came back it was the right thing to do to let him go. So what! He would have been playing here instead of what is here.

Comment

I have been at every game but the (away) NH game, and the bottom line is this is likely a .500 team in hockey east and far worse if they don’t play disciplined hockey. Tonight’s game had the biggest crowed I have ever seen at The Thom Lawyer Arena for a college game. I have seen a Jr. team game of the Middlesex Islanders in a championship game with perhaps 2500 people in attendence but just never a full boat for the Warriors, so it was nice too see that kind of support, also noted a lot of Husky Jerseys were in the crowd on this parents weekend so me and my boys didnt feel so out numbered.

However, with our freshman “newbies” realistically the best players, it may be a season or two before this team can win against the metal of our league consistantly. They will be able to complete in the middle and should win against the bottom feeders but likely won’t be able to win against the metal of this league unless a goalie is standing on his head. There are a few marginal defensive players and as a result I expect tough road as the issue is not coaching, desire or will but talent. They are about as good as Merrimack but on Friday they lost their cools and on Sat. they played fairly well in a close game. However, a "zero point weekend" is the result of winning only 1 period of the 6 total that were played this weekend.

Regarding the switch to Mountain and now back to Rawlings. I have no idea, except that the coach wanted to rest CR and/or has finally realizes that he likely has a slight goalie issue. CR is making the same mistakes he did when he was a freshman, as he is very vulnerable in a major aspect of goal tending and won’t see a game at the Pro level if he can‘t fix his deficiencies this season. The bottom line is that he is not great laterally and poop poor at ether post. Sadly, this condition is likely due more to his size, than his ability. He is far too big to hug the post and I have never seen any goalie at this level lose track of the puck more than him.

However, to his credit he covers so much net simply by just showing up that this issue often does not hurt him in most games, especially when the shooters are poor, but when you have NHL sniper prospects who can shoot pucks at 80 mph with pinpoint accuracy on some teams in this league, who realize this weakness, he gets tested with shots at the post and sometimes loses. Although, tonight he made some great saves, and played well enough to keep them in the game, as when he squares up he is perhaps the best goalie in HE, its when he has to go form pipe to pipe that he looks bad.

Then we have Mountain, who is really a text book study in both positioning and back stop behavior. He is really much more agile and quicker than CR and is in every sense of the word fairly technically proficient, but he is really too small to cover all of the net in many shooting scenarios and as a result will get likely get burned on shots he can’t see. On Friday night, he let in a softie form the blue line that he should have saved, the 2nd goal was not his fault as he was screwed in poor Husky line change that left the shooter all alone with only one defender in front of him. The other 2 goals were both on PP’s one in the last 2 seconds of a 5 on 3.

The good news is that we do have a few soft teams on the schedule in Bentley, and UAB-Huntsville 2x. So I am feeling 15 wins will be a realistic goal this season any more would be icing on the cake. I simply don’t see another win vs. BU, BC or NH . Although this team has the talent to perhaps steal at least one Beanpot win if they get lucky, however Harvard, BU and BC may all be better than us this year

If we had 2 lines with talent of the 1st line we would be in pretty good shape, and that is next year, I think, I mean I hope. They are good enough this year to steal one here or there but the team has the old Cronin like tendency to lose its composure a bit and I don’t think any amount of coaching can correct this. They are simply going to hit you after the whistle and cross check and charge you into the boards when they are winning or losing and as a fan to be truthful its fairly fun hockey to watch but at nearly $20 bucks a ticket I was really hopeing for a slightly better product. Don’t get me wrong, I like dirty hockey, so, I am fine with it and will still likely pay to see 25 games this season. I am just now quite resolved and accepting to the fact, that with 5 straight non wins over the last 2.5 weeks that they won't be winning most of time and are likely only perhaps slightly better than last years squad.

Sorry Coach M, but why not start Roy for a game between he pipes and see what he can do, to at least figure out what you will be doing when both Mountain and Rawlings are gone.
                            Last edited by RossiRules; 11-03-2012, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Rossi-
                              It makes little sense to waste a year of Roy's eligibility with an experiment with Witt so close to returning to the lineup.

We should have come out of tonight with at least a tie. Cornell's error was egregious and he compounded it by taking a useless hooking penalty on the play that "mack a PP for about a minute at a critical time. Pimm, who had been playing very well, was a waste this weekend. After his entire line earned a first period benching, he added nothing for the restg of the game Then he missed the net on a grade "A" chance with about two minutes left. It was a weekend of missed opportunities. We just make it too hard on ourselves.

About the best thing I can say about this weekend is that we may have found another real player in the freshman class. Mike McMurtry had a great weekend. He got to play with Saponari and set him up for the games's first goal. Then he deflected Roy's shot for his first goal. His play and his passing were excellent. Oskroba has improved markedly from his freshman year.

Comment

http://youtu.be/v4jGSvxCRp4
                                GO NU!
                                --------------------------------------------------
                                2016 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                                2018 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS (no, srsly)

Comment

Working...
                                X