X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern 2012-2013 Season Thread: A New Hope

Originally posted by Go-UML View Post
    Hell of an effort guys. We got the win but you definitely didn't make it easy.
    Not really a great effort. We handed you 3 points is all that happened. That's truth. Two choke jobs and two multi-goal leads blown in a period in consecutive nights. Signs of a horribly coached team. And we've given up the most 3rd period goals in HEA. More signs of poor coaching adjustments.
    Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
    Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
      Not really a great effort. We handed you 3 points is all that happened. That's truth. Two choke jobs and two multi-goal leads blown in a period in consecutive nights. Signs of a horribly coached team. And we've given up the most 3rd period goals in HEA. More signs of poor coaching adjustments.
      I agree with you, but do players get any blame in this??

Coachs get to much credit when things are good and to much blame when things are bad. Truth lies somewhere in the middle.
      Husky Hockey heading to the top of the bottom!

Comment

Originally posted by steve66 View Post
        I agree with you, but do players get any blame in this??

Coachs get to much credit when things are good and to much blame when things are bad. Truth lies somewhere in the middle.
        We probably rolled back into a defensive shell when we went up 4-1 instead of maintaining an aggressive forecheck which allowed Lowell to fire at will on Mountain woh by all accounts made many impressive saves last night. I wasn't there though so I cannot confirm. Also probably wasn't wise to roll with 4 defenseman after Ellement's injury.
        Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
        Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Originally posted by BrocktonNU View Post
          Could have had 4 points
          Should have had 3 points
          At a minimum should have came away with a disappointing 2 points
          We end the weekend with 1 point

I don't even know what to say about this disaster.
          Welcome to Northeastern hockey. It takes years off your life, but ultimately builds character.
          2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
          2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

We probably rolled back into a defensive shell when we went up 4-1 instead of maintaining an aggressive forecheck which allowed Lowell to fire at will on Mountain woh by all accounts made many impressive saves last night. I wasn't there though so I cannot confirm. Also probably wasn't wise to roll with 4 defenseman after Ellement's injury.
            The 2nd and 3rd goals Mountain should have had. The 3rd was a particularly weak goal. The only line that forechecked well in the 3rd was Pimm's line. Otherwise it was dump and chase and then chase UML back up the ice on the breakout. The difference in this game was game plan and the quality of the backliners for UML. They were better at maintaining possesion on the breakout and it showed all game long. Even though Mountain blew some easy ones, he made some very nice saves too. Carr certainly wasn't any better than he was.

I actually think, assuming Roy returns, that they'll be a better team next year. I'm guessing Benning is better than Ellement whose spot he's clearly taking and Szmatula and Stevens will at least be as good Sap and Vermy. The scouting reports I'm reading on Stevens is he's adjusted very quickly to the USHL and Szmatula is leading the league is scoring. Still, we need more talent on the 3rd and 4th lines. Without it, any team is in 8th, 9th or 10th in HE.

Comment

How many impressive saves did Mountain make in the last 11 minutes including OT where he gave up 4 goals. Come on now no free passes. He spit the bit...period.

Comment

We probably rolled back into a defensive shell when we went up 4-1 instead of maintaining an aggressive forecheck which allowed Lowell to fire at will..
                Originally posted by WDR357 View Post
                The 2nd and 3rd goals Mountain should have had. The 3rd was a particularly weak goal. The only line that forechecked well in the 3rd was Pimm's line. Otherwise it was dump and chase and then chase..
                this is true. It does go back to coaching, i am sorry. We forechecked against BU very well, but stepped away from it (and took dumb penalties.. what's new) ..to have 3 gms now where we eeked out a W.. eeked out a tie.. & then last night, could not get away from bad habits & poor leadership.

The HC is just not experienced enough. The only hope.. as has been mentioned now - a mix of newer (more seasoned) players.. & Madigan learning (hopefully doing his homework!) on the job...

The one teenie bright spot.. BU was up 3 goals on Harvard with 5 odd minutes left & lost that gm in OT..6-5 just weeks ago.

So some perspective here.. it does happen. Just seems to happen to us..er.. at will!
                GO NU HOCKEY
                Always bullish on the future.
                We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by NU Speed Racer View Post
                  Split, Why are you not on the bandwagon yet?....Until the fan base cares. Until they demand a winning program, comments like these will continue. People like Steve will wait. People like Split will hope. And people like me (Happy Husky Victory, Theissen's Better, and various others on this thread) will complain and urge people to care to make this program mean something again...Maybe its because we're younger and only been around the program for 10-15 years that we still care and actually want to have a winning team.
                  I absolutely don't blame you for being beyond pixxed off about where this program stands but I'll have to respectfully disagree with your lashing out at everyone who doesn't totally agree with your points of view. I don't know who you or Steve66 or anyone else on this thread are but if they're taking the time to regularly read this thread and occasionally post their opinions, then trust me--they care, and probably passionately.

As for me, I've been living and dying with this program (mostly the latter) for more years than I want to admit to. How I've managed to survive the grief and frustration and pain this program has inflicted on me for so many years without it killing me is something of a miracle. But I keep coming back for more because I care about this university in general and this hockey program in particular. Passionately. And I put my money where my mouth is and regularly write checks earmarked for this program. Not enough to have even a water bottle named for me but nonetheless consistent.

And I occasionally put my mouth where my money is. I'm probably the only person on this thread to have told the President of this university, to his face, that the hockey program is in trouble and needs fixing. Maybe not in so many words, but that was the message. And I know for a fact that at least one other person in the room on that occasion delivered substantially the same message. So if you think the older alums are content to sit back and accept the status quo, you're flat-out wrong!

So will my verbal shot across Dr. Vowel's bow do any good? Probably not. But neither will insults hurled on internet message boards. It should be painfully evident to all that that the upper echelons of the university administration are content to see our varsity athletic teams play nice in the sandbox. They do not--or will not--see the link between consistent athletic success and the broader impacts on institutional reputation that places like Notre Dame, Stanford, Duke, and even BC not only see but emphasize. But does this mean we have to throw our hands up and accept more mediocrity? Hell no. Nor does it mean we should keep quiet. But let's be honest: We can do little more than tilt at windmills and hope the noise will attract the attention of some of the mega-donors who have the leverage to force change.

But one thing we can do something about is to stop the name calling. We ought to be better than that. It is inevitable (and healthy) that people will have differences of opinion on the direction of the program, the quality of recruits, coaching decisions, whether or not the coaching staff should get another year, and more. But where there are disagreements that can't be resolved, let's agree to disagree without the personal invective. In the end, we're all on the same team.
                  Last edited by Split-N; 01-28-2013, 09:37 AM.
                  "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Don't you just hate it when somebody goes all REASONABLE and MATURE on ya?

Comment

I actually think, assuming Roy returns, that they'll be a better team next year. I'm guessing Benning is better than Ellement whose spot he's clearly taking and Szmatula and Stevens will at least be as good Sap and Vermy. The scouting reports I'm reading on Stevens is he's adjusted very quickly to the USHL and Szmatula is leading the league is scoring. Still, we need more talent on the 3rd and 4th lines. Without it, any team is in 8th, 9th or 10th in HE.
                      Dalen Hedges, http://cjhlsite.stats.pointstreak.co...&seasonid=9216

should also help.

Comment

I actually think, assuming Roy returns, that they'll be a better team next year.
                        Who's in goal? Do Gunn and Sauce take the step forward that we haven't seen from any of the current sophomores this year? Can Lauwers become better positionally to overcome his lack of speed and learn not to take dumb penalties? Will Oskroba, Cornell or Fennell have to suit up regularly and if so, will JM give them meaningful minutes? Will Manson become more visible on a nightly basis? Can Benning have a Newton/Bitetto freshman year?

Way too many questions on D and in net for me to have much confidence next year will be any better.

Comment

Witt will probably be the guy next year. I am assuming players currently playing D improve over the next year.

Comment

The 2nd and 3rd goals Mountain should have had. The 3rd was a particularly weak goal. The only line that forechecked well in the 3rd was Pimm's line. Otherwise it was dump and chase and then chase UML back up the ice on the breakout. The difference in this game was game plan and the quality of the backliners for UML. They were better at maintaining possesion on the breakout and it showed all game long. Even though Mountain blew some easy ones, he made some very nice saves too. Carr certainly wasn't any better than he was.

Carr certainly had a bad weekend, which, unfortunately, is turning into the norm for him this season. He has been fighting the puck a lot lately. He gave up 2 weak ones on Saturday (didn't see the Friday game but would assume more of the same since he was yanked for Robbins). I wasn't too impressed with Mountain either. He had no shot on the first one, but had a clear look at the 2nd and 3rd. I do think the 3rd goal by Arnold was a pretty goal going wideside from just about the dot. No shot on the 4th goal with the scrum in front of the net (similar to the first), and I don't even think he saw the blast from Folin in OT. He has at least a 2 or 3 person screen in front of him.

The rolling of 4D certainly wore on NU, and you could tell they were dragging in the 3rd. I don't know what injury Element sustained, but he was taken out by Cornell in that scrum where Pendenza got called for slashing. When he went down, he went straight for his knee, so that probably doesn't bode well.

Comment

On a better note, Northeastern men's bball won again to improve to 8-0 in conference and are the decisive favorites to represent the CAA in the NCAA tourney. The only negative of course, is that an NCAA berth guarantees Roby isn't going anywhere. That said, congrats to Bill Coen and the team. The hockey Huskies could learn a thing or two about finishing a game from them.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                                I absolutely don't blame you for being beyond pixxed off about where this program stands but I'll have to respectfully disagree with your lashing out at everyone who doesn't totally agree with you to the point of accusing them of complacency or worse. I don't know who you or Steve66 or anyone else on this thread are but if they're taking the time to regularly read this thread and occasionally post their opinions, then trust me--they care, and probably passionately.

As for me, I've been living and dying with this program (mostly the latter) for more years than I want to admit to. How I've managed to survive the grief and frustration and pain this program has delivered to me for so many years without it killing me is something of a miracle. But I keep coming back for more because I care about this university in general and this hockey program in particular. Passionately. And I put my money where my mouth is and regularly write checks earmarked for this program. Not enough to have even a water bottle named for me but nonetheless consistent.

And I occasionally put my mouth where my money is. I'm probably the only person on this thread to have told the President of this university, to his face, that the hockey program is in trouble and needs fixing. Maybe not in so many words, but that was the message. And I know for a fact that at least one other person in the room on that occasion delivered substantially the same message. So if you think the older alums are content to sit back and accept the status quo, you're flat-out wrong!

So will my verbal shot across Dr. Vowel's bow do any good? Probably not. But neither will insults hurled on internet message boards. It should be painfully evident to all that that the upper echelons of the university administration are content to see our varsity athletic teams play nice in the sandbox. They do not--or will not--see the link between consistent athletic success and the broader impacts on institutional reputation that places like Notre Dame, Stanford, Duke, and even BC not only see but emphasize. But does this mean we have to throw our hands up and accept more mediocrity? Hell no. But let's be honest: We can do little more than tilt at windmills and hope it attracts the attention of some of the mega-donors who have the leverage to force change.

But one thing we can do something about is to stop the name calling. We ought to be better than that. It is inevitable (and healthy) that people will have differences of opinion on the direction of the program, the quality of recruits, coaching decisions, whether or not the coaching staff should get another year, and more. But where there are disagreements that can't be resolved, let's agree to disagree without the personal invective. In the end, we're all on the same team.
                                The internet has made a lot of people in the world tougher. 75% of the things written in here would never be said to anyone face to face. Most guys in here if given the chance to speak to Madigan would say good luck tonight then run to there computers and say he sucks fire him. You see it everywhere!
                                Husky Hockey heading to the top of the bottom!

Comment

Working...
                                X