X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern 2012-2013 Season Thread: A New Hope

Originally posted by steve66 View Post
    You can say that you won't sit by and let things continue, I think you have an ego problem. Who the **** are you to do anything? You donate money, good for you. How has that worked?
    Donations to the program has helped. If you're not too much of a complete idiot to understand this, donations is what has gotten us a new center scoreboard and fixed the roof. It's what renovated the lobby. It's what has completely upgraded the weight rooms and video rooms under the seating area which I am sure you've never seen. It's what has completely overhauled Cabot to make the athletic department on par with other CAA teams. Did you know before football was eliminated, some woman's sports teams coaches had to share offices (Volleyball and Softball had the same room).

Donations help build a program.

I want them to win just as much as you do, but I am not so ****in stupid to think that I can do anything about it.
    You personally can not. I personally can not. But as a collective, things change. It was a collective of people that finally removed Crowder, 4 years too late. All because people didn't want to upset a guy who said hi to them in the varsity club.

Try and convince these kids who have no interest in NU to come here. Go walk into a locker room of 12 year old kids, ask them who there favorite college hockey team is? If 1 said NU I'd be shocked. You think it was any of these current huskies dream to play for NU? Olesiak wanted BU, Bu wanted him but they had no scholarships left so it was of to NU.
    You continue to amaze me with how completely wrong you are and how people like you are the cancer in our program. The point shouldn't be about convincing kids to come here. The point shouldn't be about how its no ones dream to play for NU. NU shouldn't be a punishment for 17 yr olds because their dreams were shattered by York or Parker.

HHV is right. Its not just BC and BU, its Lowell, UMass, MC and PC now that are taking away guys who's dreams were shattered.

The point is that WE SHOULD be a place kids want to play. WE SHOULD be 12 yr olds favorite team. WE SHOULD be a life long goal and dream for Boston area players.

And why not? we have the best arena, the best crowd experience, the best campus. We are 3 blocks from Fenway. 2 blocks from a mall. A 10 minute walk from one of the trendiest shopping streets on the east coast. Everything NON hockey is there, we just need a program that excites them.

You say in 15 years you wont stand by and let thiings remain the same. I HOPE they aren't! But what if they are? What will you do?
    This whole conversation is about how people don't want this to continue. It's about changing the next 15 years.

What will I do? I don't know. Does my donation stop for a couple years? Does it get smaller? Do I look at the schedule and see a weekend vs. Maine for a game where I go, "you know, maybe I just won't go to that one this time"? All possible, but I understand that nothing like that helps the program.

What helps the program is igniting a fan base into caring. What helps the program is letting the board and president know that we are not happy with the status quo and demand change "or else".

As with everything, the bottom line speaks the loudest. The current problem is that with the current AD, when the bottom line goes red, the hockey team will join the football team in the forever undefeated category.

Maybe you're right and people like me are just powerless to make change. But when the younger alums like myself are united and eager to make this program better and continue to grow in size, while the older alums like yourself that are complacent, hope for next year, worry they'll offend someone in the varisty club, enjoy six 10-win seasons just to see if this next guy is the right one, retire and die off. Maybe then in 15 years, the change in mindset of the program will make the change for us.

We're just looking out for you, so that you get more than 1 Beanpot win before you hang up the skates.
    Doghouse Class of 2004

Hockey East Fan of the Year 2004
    NU "Superfan" Award winner 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Husky Victory! View Post
      "If we have an athlete at our school that is being asked not to come back but it turns out it was because they (coaches) didnt think he (player) was good enough, we're not going to allow that to happen"

I think this is a very scary quote and should trouble anyone who donates money to NU Hockey or cares about it in any way.
      While I share your concern about the direction of NU hockey and NU athletics as a whole, I completely disagree with you here. I would be concerned if it NU ran things any other way. I realize that my other alma mater is somewhat unique in its overall appeal as an institution, but ND is quite clear that athletes have a promise to four years as long as they keep up academically. I think this should be the norm throughout college athletics and I fully support Roby on this point.
      Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
      Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Craig.. good point. Hope every institution is like that.. (wishful thinking).

However, i will add.. Roby also is of the mindset, 'winning is not important.. fans will come cheer regardless..'. This is pie in the sky. We just returned tickets back to the Beanpot (again), for lack of sales.

Roby was an ex-basketball head coach & everyone knows where his favorite (sport) sentiments lie.. and.. thus.. basketball is in good shape (and enjoying success - i am happy for that program) while the hockey program (traditionally the most well attended on campus), is in anything but good shape.

He has (by his flawed decision making a few yrs back - first with Cronin, then with Madigan), truly set the hockey program in the wrong direction. We scraping by teams like Alabama Huntsville with an occasional 'W' here & there. That's it. That is our reality currently. Peter Roby hired this head coach on a handshake & chat.. without due process. Here we are.
        GO NU HOCKEY
        Always bullish on the future.
        We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

As I said, I share your concern about the direction of NU hockey and NU athletics in general. I don't think the goals and outlook are acceptable.
          Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
          Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Husky View Post
            Yes,it's a Roby and Madigan issue,there have been many excellent points,by posters much wiser,and more involved,than myself,and I am enjoying the gentlemanly banter,I would just like like to throw in my two cents on the situation,as for Roby,it's obvious that he does not understand the importance of having a world class hockey program,he is ignorant of everything that is needed to make that program successful,Roby is an AD and he should act like one,and show that he cares about having a succssful program (winning) I will speculate the Roby is a modern PC liberal who might embrace the idea of little league baseball where everybody wins and no one loses,and he translates this philosophy in how he directs the Hockey program,Roby does not care if they win,and he will never care as long as he has power,it's evident in hiring "nice guy" Madigan,that's a PC move,I don't care if Madigan was this or that,he's not a coach,period!,great guy,yes,and I admire him,great scout,maybe,I'm not even willing to give him that,let's look at Gillies for a second,here is arguably the best goalie in Hockey East,He commits supposedly under Madigan,I tip my hat to him for that,but he could not close the deal,he could not tell Rawlings look,let's be honest Chris,your gonna get some games but I'm bringing Gillies in and he's carry the lion's share of work,as one poster wisely pointed out earlier,player's commit to coaches,and coaches have to finish the job,get them here,and coach them into great players,Gillies signed on and Madigan did not and could not get the job done and sit Rawlings out,we would be riding high with the playoff's in sight,a possible Beanpot win and this all builds on itself,wins bring better players,more money for the program,instead you have mediocrity at best and this like a disease that also feeds on itself,guys leave,players won't commit,you guys know much better than I,I'm the new guy,but I love the program and am also frustrated,I am Happy NU has a team and a rich heritage,but a heritage doesnt win games,Roby doesnt want to win,he must leave,Madigan is in over his head,he needs to change jobs perhaps to AD,I would be happy with Cronin again,but that isnt going to happen,so how about an AD that actually wants to win games and a coach who knows how to do it,with that in place the good players will show up,and the good coach will make them even better,Northeastern has a bright future only if hard decisions are made today-Let's go Huskies!!!
            Good points, but man....punctuation and paragraphs, please!
            Gary

www.umlhockey.com
            Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
            "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
            KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
              While I share your concern about the direction of NU hockey and NU athletics as a whole, I completely disagree with you here. I would be concerned if it NU ran things any other way. I realize that my other alma mater is somewhat unique in its overall appeal as an institution, but ND is quite clear that athletes have a promise to four years as long as they keep up academically. I think this should be the norm throughout college athletics and I fully support Roby on this point.
              Why should someone who's sole purpose is to add to the quality of the hockey program, not be judged by his productivity on the ice? If you're not producing, coaches should have every right to re-evaluate your scholarship on an annual basis. These guys are not being recruited because they got A+ on thier trigonometry homework in high school or because they're really nice guys. Enough with the pie in the sky, college athletics utopia crap. When every other kid on campus has to pay $30K+ per year in tuition, I expect solid results from scholarship athletes or that free $30K+ should dry up. Enough is enough.

ROBY MUST GO!
              Dog House Class of 2003

"Puh Pah Playoffs!...You talk about playoffs?... You kiddin' me? Playoffs?"

55-622-73-35-418, I'm on FIRE!

Comment

Happy for #12 Steve Morra for his first career goal,well deserved,for a very hard worker!

Comment

Heard we were up 4-2.. same old same old.. breakdown in discipline.
                  Oh well, Lowell is a good team with a solid streak, so any points this wknd is a plus.

Happy for Morra (and Roy) as well. How did Mountain look?..
                  GO NU HOCKEY
                  Always bullish on the future.
                  We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by NU Speed Racer View Post
                    Donations to the program has helped. If you're not too much of a complete idiot to understand this, donations is what has gotten us a new center scoreboard and fixed the roof. It's what renovated the lobby. It's what has completely upgraded the weight rooms and video rooms under the seating area which I am sure you've never seen. It's what has completely overhauled Cabot to make the athletic department on par with other CAA teams. Did you know before football was eliminated, some woman's sports teams coaches had to share offices (Volleyball and Softball had the same room).

Donations help build a program.

You personally can not. I personally can not. But as a collective, things change. It was a collective of people that finally removed Crowder, 4 years too late. All because people didn't want to upset a guy who said hi to them in the varsity club.

You continue to amaze me with how completely wrong you are and how people like you are the cancer in our program. The point shouldn't be about convincing kids to come here. The point shouldn't be about how its no ones dream to play for NU. NU shouldn't be a punishment for 17 yr olds because their dreams were shattered by York or Parker.

HHV is right. Its not just BC and BU, its Lowell, UMass, MC and PC now that are taking away guys who's dreams were shattered.

The point is that WE SHOULD be a place kids want to play. WE SHOULD be 12 yr olds favorite team. WE SHOULD be a life long goal and dream for Boston area players.

And why not? we have the best arena, the best crowd experience, the best campus. We are 3 blocks from Fenway. 2 blocks from a mall. A 10 minute walk from one of the trendiest shopping streets on the east coast. Everything NON hockey is there, we just need a program that excites them.

This whole conversation is about how people don't want this to continue. It's about changing the next 15 years.

What will I do? I don't know. Does my donation stop for a couple years? Does it get smaller? Do I look at the schedule and see a weekend vs. Maine for a game where I go, "you know, maybe I just won't go to that one this time"? All possible, but I understand that nothing like that helps the program.

What helps the program is igniting a fan base into caring. What helps the program is letting the board and president know that we are not happy with the status quo and demand change "or else".

As with everything, the bottom line speaks the loudest. The current problem is that with the current AD, when the bottom line goes red, the hockey team will join the football team in the forever undefeated category.

Maybe you're right and people like me are just powerless to make change. But when the younger alums like myself are united and eager to make this program better and continue to grow in size, while the older alums like yourself that are complacent, hope for next year, worry they'll offend someone in the varisty club, enjoy six 10-win seasons just to see if this next guy is the right one, retire and die off. Maybe then in 15 years, the change in mindset of the program will make the change for us.

We're just looking out for you, so that you get more than 1 Beanpot win before you hang up the skates.
                    I don't feel like keeping this going. But you just said we have the nicest arena? You are on crack.
                    Husky Hockey heading to the top of the bottom!

Comment

How did Mountain look. He let in a shot from just inside center ice and later a wrist shot from the blue line and gave up a 4-2 lead in 3rd period. Thats how he looked.

Comment

• Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                        Heard we were up 4-2.. same old same old.. breakdown in discipline.
                        Oh well, Lowell is a good team with a solid streak, so any points this wknd is a plus.

Happy for Morra (and Roy) as well. How did Mountain look?..
                        In my opinion, Mountain didn't look that good. He gave up way too many rebounds and Lowell's second goal was a result of him falling asleep in the crease. The Lowell player scored from center ice!! His lateral movement is terrible and as I said before, he cannot control rebounds. My question is where is Witt or why don't they give Derek Roy a chance in net?
                        "We just didn't get the lucky bounces..."

Comment

I should feel god about NU snapping an opposition's 9 game winning streak but the way they only hung on to a point leaves me disappointed. Just like last week how beating BU was dampered by an attrocious 3rd. Another blown multigoal lead in the 3rd tonight. Basically if you were to tell me before the game they would tie a streaking UML team I'd be content with that result, but then actually watching it playout is a whole different story. Anyway as a newcomer to NU hockey, I'm curious is Matthews usually that empty or this just a reflection of how inept the team has become?
                          Last edited by BrocktonNU; 01-26-2013, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrocktonNU View Post
                            Anyway as a newcomer to NU hockey, I'm curious is Matthews usually that empty or this just a reflection of how inept the team has become?
                            UMass went to play at Matthews when NU was ranked number 2 in the nation a few years ago I believe on Valentine's Day. I was really worried about tickets, so I bought them online a week in advance. I was one of four people in my section. My section was fairly typical for the lower bowl that night. I will never be worried about getting a ticket at Matthews again. I don't know about for other schools, but for UMass it's always empty during the regular season. Playoffs is a different story.
                            #NewMass

Comment

I don't feel like keeping this going. But you just said we have the nicest arena? You are on crack.
                              Steve. NEVER COME TO A NU GAME EVER AGAIN. The Boston Arena is a national landmark. The term "Barn" comes from this very place. It is the oldest indoor arena in America. At one point it hosted 3 college hockey teams and an NHL team.

It is a national treasure. Living history.

Fenway. Wrigley. Original Yankees Stadium. Lambeau. Cotton Bowl. These are places that while don't have the bells and whistles that the current generations are used to, are amazing stadiums that people travel across the country for. Our arena is one of those places.

I am now coming to the conclusion that you aren't really a fan of NU and have just chosen them out of convenience.

Also, I would LOVE to hear which arena in Hockey East you think is a better rink.

Originally posted by Motorboaters View Post
                              In my opinion, Mountain didn't look that good. He gave up way too many rebounds and Lowell's second goal was a result of him falling asleep in the crease. The Lowell player scored from center ice!! His lateral movement is terrible and as I said before, he cannot control rebounds. My question is where is Witt or why don't they give Derek Roy a chance in net?
                              I believe Witt graduated or left?? I don't recall seeing him at all since the beginning of the season, if that.

My last straw with Madigan rests on what he does at the end of the season. If and when we are finally eliminated from the playoffs (if it happens), I fully expect Roy in net the entire time regardless of score or situation. With Rawlings and Mountain both seniors and FINALLY gone after the season, we need to focus on the future. Personally, I was ok with Roy being the #2 backup back in November. Regardless of his skill, he needs to adapt to Hockey East's skill level.

Originally posted by BrocktonNU View Post
                              I should feel god about NU snapping an opposition's 9 game winning streak but the way they only hung on to a point leaves me disappointed. Just like last week how beating BU was dampered by an attrocious 3rd. Another blown multigoal lead in the 3rd tonight. Basically if you were to tell me before the game they would tie a streaking UML team I'd be content with that result, but then actually watching it playout is a whole different story. Anyway as a newcomer to NU hockey, I'm curious is Matthews usually that empty or this just a reflection of how inept the team has become?
                              You should not feel good. You should not be happy. Yes, we got a point. Yippee. I bet Steve66 opened a bottle of champange and poured it all over his head after tonight's game.

The fact is, we had a 4-2 lead in the early 3rd.
                              The fact is, Mountain let in a goal from Brookline.
                              The fact is, we let leads evaporate in the last two weekends.

This is a coaching issue. This is Madigan's only job. Win games. He can't close. In one of the Timeouts tonight, he stood silently on the bench, looked at an assistant coach to ask where the face off was, then turned to the players and said "this is what we train for." We should not be training for holding on desperately for a tie. We should be training to win games 5-2.

Also Brockton, outside of BU or BC, you will have pick of the litter in terms of seating outside of the front row balony. Even in the most important of games, playoffs included, NU doesn't sell out. One of the reasons why the lowered the seat total in the last renovation.
                              Doghouse Class of 2004

Hockey East Fan of the Year 2004
                              NU "Superfan" Award winner 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Motorboaters View Post
                                My question is where is Witt or why don't they give Derek Roy a chance in net?
                                I've wondered this myself...Witt doesn't even dress. If they're the goalies for next year, why not give them a look?

Comment

Working...
                                X