This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
    That's not what I'm saying. Sap, Pimm, Ferriero, Vermeersch, Karlsson and Sauce should all be decent to good power-play players with the right coaching. Roy is just so good that he can produce without coaching.
    Vermeersch can't skate. Sap, Ferreiro, and pimm are decent players, but don't tell me that they are great.
    Husky Hockey heading to the top of the bottom!

Comment

• Re: Northeastern 2012-2013 Season Thread: A New Hope

Originally posted by NU Speed Racer View Post
      These are the comments I was talking about.

Split, Why are you not on the bandwagon yet? The deterioration of the program comes from the playing ability and the results on the ice. I personally have heard the line "some real talent coming in next year" for over a decade. Without a central ESPN like rankings that there is in Football and Basketball, we'll never truely know what we have until they play. Do you think Fern had the best talent in the 80s where we won 4 beanpots? He made something out of what he had. He was a good coach. What about when Robitaille was in goal? He was talent but his coach was awful. Nothing came from it. What about Crowder's day? Morris, Ryan, Fahey, Selig. All of these guys where "real talent". Only 1 actually was. We can kid ourselves and convince ourselves that next year will be better. But that doesn't produce winners on the ice. Its just sugarcoating the fact that this season sucks and next year has to be better.

As for the Goalies, how can you just push that aside when talking about "real talent"?! It's our major weak point now. In case you forgot, we did score 9 goals against BU and BC this weekend. 4.5 goals a game. You score that many goals on any level of organized hockey with kids over the age of 10, and you win 90-95% of those games. The problem is that we let in 14! 14 goals this weekend. 7 a game. And yes we let in 9 in one game, but there was 5 in the other!

I do want to note, that we would not have a goalie issue right now if it weren't for Roby, Madigan and Rawlings. Each have a major major hand in the fact that Rawlings somehow is still playing any form of hockey that doesn't revolve around beer and 50 yr old lawyers. Now everyone can have their opinion on why Gillies left, but personally, I put the blame solely on Madigan.

Also, I refuse to hold my nose and hope for the best. No one that has a successful program does that.

It is people like Steve that are the problem more than its the AD, coach or players. Until this defeatist attitude leaves the program, we will continue to hire fundraisers and get excited at 10 win seasons, 7th place finishes, and 3rd place Beanpots. We will wait and wait for things to change, even after we are aware that the changes will not come. It is people like him that allow 25 years of bad hockey, with a decent year scattered every 6 or so years.

But hey, history is against us. Why bother changing our mindset? Why bother caring? It's still the best deal in town. You know who else had their history against them? The Boston Red Sox. 86 years of failing, with 3-4 close seasons. What did they do? They changed, the found the right guys for the job, and they won 2 championships.

If we need to go through coaches every 3 years until we find the right one, so be it. I have given too much time and effort of my life to this program to watch it wash away and be a program where 8-9 other schools look at the schedule, look at us, and go "sweet 4 pt weekend".

Until the fan base cares. Until they demand a winning program, comments like these will continue. People like Steve will wait. People like Split will hope. And people like me (Happy Husky Victory, Theissen's Better, and various others on this thread) will complain and urge people to care to make this program mean something again.

Maybe its because we're younger and only been around the program for 10-15 years that we still care and actually want to have a winning team.
      Your blaming me? I have no say in who coach's who plays and who is on their power play. I have been watching this team for 30 years now, I still get my season's, I still go to the beanpot every year and hope that this is the year. In the 80's they did not have the best players, that had certain style of player, an extremely hard working, physical player. They would recruit kids that were good, but not finished products, they would hope that they would become better players while they were here. 1 of those players that played on those teams was Jim Madigan. Teams used to hate to play Nu especially at NU, they would get the win, but they would get beat up. I think that is what Jim is trying to get back to, but you can't expect that to happen overnight. Think about what he inherited.

The 2010-2011 team in my opinion I though was a good team coming in, I thought they defintely would be playing in the NCAA's. They started out like 1-8, finished in 6th place and then beat BU in the Qtrs. That team had some good players but they did nothing with it. In comes JM, Ried leaved early, arguably there best forward, Olesiak leaves early, by far there best D man. The top 3 scorers from the previous year graduate. The incoming class gets gutted with the loss of Johnny G, Haar, and Kovacs. The 2011-12 team had some moments, but in the end they were a weak team. Then another exodus of players, Bitteto, Eibler, Daniels brothers among others gone, all would have been upper class-man.

You have your opinion I have mine, the great thing about opinions are that there is no wrong answer. In my opinion he will right the ship cause I believe that he has an idea for the type of player that he wants, right now this is a team of kids that happen to be at the school, they are some that are good, but for the most part they are were they belong, in the cellar. So my opinion is that you need to give him the time to get to that point. Maybe I am wrong, I very well may be. But I think to pull the plug on it and then say we are going in a different direction just pushes it back even further.

I know that for the most part on this board I am in the minority, but it is just my opinion. But to say that I am what is wrong with NU is crazy. I see that you were HE fan of the year in 2004, so you have been rooting for NU for what 15 years? Come see me in 15.

Comment

I think NUSR is really just pointing out what many of us here think. We're tired of the complacency of the fan base who seemingly just accept average or below average results as being "the way it is". It doesn’t have to be that way, but will continue to be that way as long as fans who donate money, time and passion to the program continue to accept losing as being inevitable.

ROBY MUST GO!
        Dog House Class of 2003

"Puh Pah Playoffs!...You talk about playoffs?... You kiddin' me? Playoffs?"

55-622-73-35-418, I'm on FIRE!

Comment

Article from 2011 pretty much sums up my feelings..

Northeastern's Coaching Gamble
          by Joe Meloni/CHN Staff Writer

Tuesday afternoon, when Northeastern unveiled Jim Madigan as its newest head coach, little surprise filled Matthews Arena. Twenty-four hours earlier, the dissemination of the news had spread at Internet speed, and everyone learned that the former Husky had impressed NU athletic director Peter Roby enough to earn his place on his alma mater's bench.

We knew Madigan would lead the Huskies against Massachusetts on Oct. 7, when the Minutemen trek to Boston to open the 2011-12 season. We knew he was a proud alumnus; a man who valued character and academics as much — if not more — than hockey. We knew these things because Roby, after the calamity that was Greg Cronin's final few months on Huntington Avenue, wasn't going to hire anyone who didn't. It's similar to Michigan State's decision to hire alumnus Tom Anastos, although in some ways, that was even more out of nowhere.

The main thing we didn't really know was who Madigan was. He was a scout for the Pittsburgh Penguins at some point and he played for Northeastern in the 1980s. He studied under Fern Flaman, first as a player, then as a coach before hanging it up in 1993 and easing his way behind the scenes.

Aside from a five-year stay within the school's athletic department, his connection to Northeastern hockey has been tangential, but never really strained. While he was never on the coaching staff nor did he maintain an administrative position within the hockey program, he never lost his influence over Northeastern's short- and long-term futures.

However, knowing a program and scouting players hardly qualifies someone to coach a Hockey East team desperately seeking the consistent success of its rivals in the other corners of Boston.

Sure, he remained loyal to the program he loves, the program he guided — as both player and assistant coach — to its only four Beanpots, and he, as Penguins scout, probably directed Brad Thiessen and Joe Vitale to Pittsburgh. But, seriously, Jim Madigan?

It seems unfair, to an extent, to question Roby's decision after the last six months at Matthews Arena.

In February, Cronin and assistant coach Albie O'Connell received indefinite suspensions for their role in a series of recruiting violations.

The pair returned prior to the Hockey East playoffs where NU upset Boston University in the quarterfinals before losing to Boston College in the semifinals.

Two weeks later, freshman Brodie Reid opted to sign a professional contract — leaving Northeastern without its top five scorers from a season ago.

Days before the NHL Draft, Cronin accepted the position with the Maple Leafs. At the draft, rising sophomore defenseman Jamie Oleksiak became a Dallas Star and eventually opted to leave the program to further his development in the OHL. A few rounds later, incoming freshman John Gaudreau became property of the Calgary Flames. A couple hours past and defenseman Garrett Harr heard his name called by the Washington Capitals. To this point, no one really knows whether either player will attend Northeastern next season.

O'Connell left for Harvard somewhere in the middle of it all and then Roby named Madigan head coach after reportedly courting Merrimack savior Mark Dennehy.

Got all that?

Ostensibly, Madigan represents stability in a place desperately seeking some after an exhausting six months. For Roby, he's a safe pick that could turn the wise AD into a genius in the eyes of fans and alumni.

Roby waxed philosophic about values and identity throughout his time at Northeastern, and it's clear that, at the very least, the program needed more than just a sharp hockey mind.

On the ice, Cronin's club played an aggressive game that irritated opponents and entrenched fans. Off the ice, though, the — ahem — fiery Cronin seemed to struggle keeping his players in line at times. He answered questions honestly and made it perfectly plain — to the player and the press — when someone needed to make a change. These things will serve him well in the NHL. In the college game, though, it just never really clicked. He had his moments, because, well, the guy can coach. The question was whether or not he could lead, if he could instill values, if he could reflect the identity Roby aggressively pursued since becoming the school's AD.

Ultimately, it became clear he couldn't. He said he was never comfortable, and we all believed him.

Still, though, Jim Madigan?

In Tuesday's press conference, the 10th head coach in the program's history insisted Northeastern mattered to him. It represents more than just a step to another job. It is a chance to lead the program he loves to the places he wants it to go. And, for now, Roby can sleep easy, because he and his new coach boast the same goals. They want to win, but they want to represent the university well at the same time. It's not that Cronin didn't. He just valued the former a little more than the latter, and sought a place where that was OK.

Roby says he's found his man, that Northeastern has found its man. In the process, though, he may have set his program back for years to come.

There exists little doubt at Northeastern about Jim Madigan as a man, a positive representative for the university or an experienced hockey mind. As a successful Division I hockey coach, though, the doubt is very real.

Link to the original article..

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...ing_gamble.php
          GO NU HOCKEY
          Always bullish on the future.
          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by steve66 View Post
            Your blaming me? I have no say in who coach's who plays and who is on their power play. I have been watching this team for 30 years now, I still get my season's, I still go to the beanpot every year and hope that this is the year.

I know that for the most part on this board I am in the minority, but it is just my opinion. But to say that I am what is wrong with NU is crazy. I see that you were HE fan of the year in 2004, so you have been rooting for NU for what 15 years? Come see me in 15.
            I am blaming you. But not because of your decisions of who plays or what to do on the power play. That would be silly.

Its everything else. Its your attitude towards the team. Its the fact that you go to the beanpot HOPING this is the year. That you are HOPING for something to turn it around and get better. Its that you are wishing, willing, hoping, that Madigan can somehow turn around the team in some distant utopian view of the future. The fact is, he's not going to. 2 years. 3 years. 5 years. 8. It won't matter. The only difference is the names on the back of the jerseys and the gray hairs we gain waiting.

My first season was 99. I helped build the student section into what it is now. I travelled across this country with the team. I knew a good 50 players pretty well, some to this day. I know this program very well. I know the season ticket holders very well. Sadly you are not in the minority. AND THAT IS THE PROBLEM. YOU(collectively) ARE WHAT IS WRONG.

The sad truth of the matter is that you have followed the team for 30 years. I only half of that time. We have experienced the EXACT SAME SUCCESS in this program. Sure, you may be been lucky to witness the beanpot wins when you first started following the team. Yes, there was a 3rd place NCAA year. But other than that, we've witnessed 0 first place finishes. 0 conference championships. 1 NCAA bid(maybe 2).

The difference between you and me is that you're ok with your 30 years. I will not be. I will not sit by and watch 15 years of my life go by with this mediocre team, this maybe next year mindset. I don't want to wait 5 years to see if Madigan can put together a single season where we may be lucky enough to win a Beanpot or get to the NCAA.

I WANT THAT TO BE THE NORM!

Originally posted by Happy Husky Victory! View Post
            I think NUSR is really just pointing out what many of us here think. We're tired of the complacency of the fan base who seemingly just accept average or below average results as being "the way it is". It doesn’t have to be that way, but will continue to be that way as long as fans who donate money, time and passion to the program continue to accept losing as being inevitable.

ROBY MUST GO!
            HHV was 100% right in what I was trying to convey.
            Doghouse Class of 2004

Hockey East Fan of the Year 2004
            NU "Superfan" Award winner 2004

Comment

Yes,it's a Roby and Madigan issue,there have been many excellent points,by posters much wiser,and more involved,than myself,and I am enjoying the gentlemanly banter,I would just like like to throw in my two cents on the situation,as for Roby,it's obvious that he does not understand the importance of having a world class hockey program,he is ignorant of everything that is needed to make that program successful,Roby is an AD and he should act like one,and show that he cares about having a succssful program (winning) I will speculate the Roby is a modern PC liberal who might embrace the idea of little league baseball where everybody wins and no one loses,and he translates this philosophy in how he directs the Hockey program,Roby does not care if they win,and he will never care as long as he has power,it's evident in hiring "nice guy" Madigan,that's a PC move,I don't care if Madigan was this or that,he's not a coach,period!,great guy,yes,and I admire him,great scout,maybe,I'm not even willing to give him that,let's look at Gillies for a second,here is arguably the best goalie in Hockey East,He commits supposedly under Madigan,I tip my hat to him for that,but he could not close the deal,he could not tell Rawlings look,let's be honest Chris,your gonna get some games but I'm bringing Gillies in and he's carry the lion's share of work,as one poster wisely pointed out earlier,player's commit to coaches,and coaches have to finish the job,get them here,and coach them into great players,Gillies signed on and Madigan did not and could not get the job done and sit Rawlings out,we would be riding high with the playoff's in sight,a possible Beanpot win and this all builds on itself,wins bring better players,more money for the program,instead you have mediocrity at best and this like a disease that also feeds on itself,guys leave,players won't commit,you guys know much better than I,I'm the new guy,but I love the program and am also frustrated,I am Happy NU has a team and a rich heritage,but a heritage doesnt win games,Roby doesnt want to win,he must leave,Madigan is in over his head,he needs to change jobs perhaps to AD,I would be happy with Cronin again,but that isnt going to happen,so how about an AD that actually wants to win games and a coach who knows how to do it,with that in place the good players will show up,and the good coach will make them even better,Northeastern has a bright future only if hard decisions are made today-Let's go Huskies!!!
              Last edited by Happy Husky; 01-25-2013, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Very good points by Speed Racer & Happy Husky.
                I am willing to suffer through a couple yrs re-building under a qualified D1 Coach (again, this should already have happened!.).. but it did not.

Let it happen now!
                If members in the Varsity Club can raise h#ll!!!.. we'll have liftoff .
                GO NU HOCKEY
                We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by NU Speed Racer View Post
                  I am blaming you. But not because of your decisions of who plays or what to do on the power play. That would be silly.

Its everything else. Its your attitude towards the team. Its the fact that you go to the beanpot HOPING this is the year. That you are HOPING for something to turn it around and get better. Its that you are wishing, willing, hoping, that Madigan can somehow turn around the team in some distant utopian view of the future. The fact is, he's not going to. 2 years. 3 years. 5 years. 8. It won't matter. The only difference is the names on the back of the jerseys and the gray hairs we gain waiting.

My first season was 99. I helped build the student section into what it is now. I travelled across this country with the team. I knew a good 50 players pretty well, some to this day. I know this program very well. I know the season ticket holders very well. Sadly you are not in the minority. AND THAT IS THE PROBLEM. YOU(collectively) ARE WHAT IS WRONG.

The sad truth of the matter is that you have followed the team for 30 years. I only half of that time. We have experienced the EXACT SAME SUCCESS in this program. Sure, you may be been lucky to witness the beanpot wins when you first started following the team. Yes, there was a 3rd place NCAA year. But other than that, we've witnessed 0 first place finishes. 0 conference championships. 1 NCAA bid(maybe 2).

The difference between you and me is that you're ok with your 30 years. I will not be. I will not sit by and watch 15 years of my life go by with this mediocre team, this maybe next year mindset. I don't want to wait 5 years to see if Madigan can put together a single season where we may be lucky enough to win a Beanpot or get to the NCAA.

I WANT THAT TO BE THE NORM!

HHV was 100% right in what I was trying to convey.

HAHA, I hope that this can be the year, I hope that things will get better cause that is all I can do. I don't play, I don't coach, so all I can do is hope. What can you do about it? How did your traveling all over country and knowing over 50 kids work out for you? Your right we saw the same amount of wins and losses. You can say that you won't sit by and let things continue, I think you have an ego problem. Who the **** are you to do anything? You donate money, good for you. How has that worked? I want them to win just as much as you do, but I am not so ****in stupid to think that I can do anything about it. Start your petition get your signatures. Maybe you should coach the team, you seem to know a lot about hockey, I mean you started the doghouse, is that on your resume? Maybe you and those 50 players that you know can try and convince the top players in the country to come to NU, you can tell them that you want things to change at NU. That will probably work. Try and convince these kids who have no interest in NU to come here. Go walk into a locker room of 12 year old kids, ask them who there favorite college hockey team is? If 1 said NU I'd be shocked. You think it was any of these current huskies dream to play for NU? Olesiak wanted BU, Bu wanted him but they had no scholarships left so it was of to NU.

You say in 15 years you wont stand by and let thiings remain the same. I HOPE they aren't! But what if they are? What will you do?

Comment

Go walk into a locker room of 12 year old kids, ask them who there favorite college hockey team is? If 1 said NU I'd be shocked..
                    ..you'd be surprised. Northeastern does not understand its own brand ..especially in recent years. That is the travesty. Newer fans are perplexed by this.. older fans (like you Steve) have become complacent to it. Someone's gotta rock the boat & i applaud the newer fans for trying to!!!
                    GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                      ..you'd be surprised. Northeastern does not understand its own brand ..especially in recent years. That is the travesty. Newer fans are perplexed by this.. older fans (like you Steve) have become complacent to it. Someone's gotta rock the boat & i applaud the newer fans for trying to!!!
                      I am happy to hear!!

Comment

I agree with Speed Racer, Happy Husky and Northeastern. Steve, it is the opinion of some here that there is a complacency and hestitancy on the part of older fans (like yourself) in part because they fear that awkward conversation in the Varsity Club.

Anyway, I really think Mr. Roby is the main problem here. I encourage you all to look up the interview on Youtube of Peter Roby on Outside the Lines (OTL) on ESPN. The following is a small quote from the conversation regarding scholarships:

"If we have an athlete at our school that is being asked not to come back but it turns out it was because they (coaches) didnt think he (player) was good enough, we're not going to allow that to happen"

I think this is a very scary quote and should trouble anyone who donates money to NU Hockey or cares about it in any way. How are we supposed to recruit and try to re-load if we cant cut some of the dead weight that doesnt pan out. Keep them on the team with a full ride, knowing full well they are not talented enough to play D1 hockey in Hockey East? Are we supposed to keep the dead weight and let top prospects not only go to BC and BU which they do already, but now go to Lowell, Merrimack and Providence??? Give me a break! This guy doesnt get it, and we (the fans) need to make ourselves clear that this type of PC bull is what is putting this program behind the 8 ball, and it needs to STOP.

ROBY MUST GO!
                        Dog House Class of 2003

Comment

Found it.. makes point around the 11:00min-11:15 mark in the video.

Hey, perhaps that's why JM kept Rawlings around.. Roby wouldn't have it any other way!!!

Look if this is the mindset.. least let's switch the Hockey to compete in the ECAC (i'm serious), where this type of mindset is probably more prevalent & then we're on a level playing field with perhaps more success (no doubt in my mind).

In Hockey East.. this will lead to 9th & 10th place finishes & that is the stark truth.

GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post

In Hockey East.. this will lead to 11th & 12th place finishes & that is the stark truth.
                            Fixed.
                            On Jamie Oleksiak:

Originally posted by Hokydad
                            If he comes next year he will be eaten alive. Zero chance of success in Hockey East next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Happy Husky Victory! View Post
                              I agree with Speed Racer, Happy Husky and Northeastern. Steve, it is the opinion of some here that there is a complacency and hestitancy on the part of older fans (like yourself) in part because they fear that awkward conversation in the Varsity Club.

Anyway, I really think Mr. Roby is the main problem here. I encourage you all to look up the interview on Youtube of Peter Roby on Outside the Lines (OTL) on ESPN. The following is a small quote from the conversation regarding scholarships:

"If we have an athlete at our school that is being asked not to come back but it turns out it was because they (coaches) didnt think he (player) was good enough, we're not going to allow that to happen"

I think this is a very scary quote and should trouble anyone who donates money to NU Hockey or cares about it in any way. How are we supposed to recruit and try to re-load if we cant cut some of the dead weight that doesnt pan out. Keep them on the team with a full ride, knowing full well they are not talented enough to play D1 hockey in Hockey East? Are we supposed to keep the dead weight and let top prospects not only go to BC and BU which they do already, but now go to Lowell, Merrimack and Providence??? Give me a break! This guy doesnt get it, and we (the fans) need to make ourselves clear that this type of PC bull is what is putting this program behind the 8 ball, and it needs to STOP.

ROBY MUST GO!
                              Never said I wanted Roby to stay, hate him

Comment

Never said I wanted Roby to stay, hate him
                                Good. So we can count on your support??
                                Dog House Class of 2003

Comment

Working...
                                X