This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern 2012-2013 Season Thread: A New Hope

steve, forget the recruiting part for a second. at the moment, what do you think of madigan as strictly a coach?

Comment

Originally posted by steve66 View Post
      ..What I am saying is that if they fire Madigan, we will have the same exodus out the door just like Cronin. You guys think all of these recruits that are coming in are going to stay with a new regime? Kids commit to coach's, not schools. Garrett Haar admitted then when he decommitted to NU.
      ..so that enough is a reason to keep him? His recruits might leave??.. sooner or later we are going to have to go through this pain.. (this should have already have happened.. sigh).

Look, i respect Madigan, just not in his current role. It is apparent to some of us (not all..including you ).. that this was bungled by the AD once Cronin left. It was a perfect opportunity to conduct a proper 'National Search' (as they proclaimed then).. to bring someone in here to build something ..someday. Yet you have to start at some time! LaPlante was here already!

I really wish all these things you keep saying about Madigan are true. I personally have no confidence in his abilities (strictly as Coach).. having watched him for 2 seasons now. He does not motivate, he does not draw up any plays, he does not Coach, he does not adjust. We are DOA after the first period, most games. I just pray he is doing a thorough job.. learning on the job...!!! Then yes.. perhaps something might click!.. (and i pray he is as astute a recruiter, as advertised)..

..and i am not even going to argue with you over the Pecknold comparison.. there is none. Pecknold has paid his dues behind the bench.
      GO NU HOCKEY
      Always bullish on the future.
      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by NU Speed Racer View Post
        Side note and I know its not hockey, so its not apples to apples here but look at ND, they had Charlie Weis. Didn't take them 4 years to decide.
        You're right, it didn't. It took us five years to decide.

Perhaps you meant the Ty-tanic? Him it only took three years to dump, partly because he preferred golfing over recruiting.
        Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
        Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Craig, then in that case.. i feel Madigan would prefer recruiting over Coaching. (which is not a bad thing, btw).. he just seems out of place behind the bench..
          You have to come to Matthews & observe..see where i am going with this.

Recruiting is a huge part of the process, i understand. Then after that.. so is Coaching..
          GO NU HOCKEY
          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

What I am saying is that if they fire Madigan, we will have the same exodus out the door just like Cronin. You guys think all of these recruits that are coming in are going to stay with a new regime? Kids commit to coach's, not schools. Garrett Haar admitted then when he decommitted to NU.
            Lowell and Providence we're in really bad situations with Army and MacDonald and have turned it around quickly by bringing in the right coach. Both didn't lose many recruits either. It can be done.
            2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
            2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

A lot of the conversation in this coaching regime is about Madigan. A lot of the prior coaching regime chatter was about Cronin, Albie, and LaPlante.

So what about Madigan's assistants? Are they up to snuff?
              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                A lot of the conversation in this coaching regime is about Madigan. A lot of the prior coaching regime chatter was about Cronin, Albie, and LaPlante.

The problem is not a coaching one. The AD is not “up to snuff”; BC had similar isssues with their AD and they solved the problem, as NU should!

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                  steve, forget the recruiting part for a second. at the moment, what do you think of madigan as strictly a coach?
                  This team based it's talent is exactly where I thought they would be. So I don't have anything bad to say about his coaching. I don't think there is much there to coach.
                  Husky Hockey heading to the top of the bottom!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post

Interesting question, NP. From what I've seen, they have pretty much received a pass from NU fans. They haven't drawn the ire from anyone that I've seen.

I think the general consensus is that Keefe and Foley are young, up-and-comers that bring a good energy to the program. Keefe landed K. Roy so can't complain about him there. Special teams have improved this year and I believe Madigan leaves special team coaching responsibilities to his assistants...as well as in-game coaching and everything else...

Comment

• Originally posted by fahey4prez View Post
                      ..as well as in-game coaching and everything else...
                      ..ha! so true.
                      GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by fahey4prez View Post
                        Special teams have improved this year
                        To me, the only reason the PP is better is because of Roy. He leads the conference with 10 power play points and the team has 12 PPG as a whole. Its still pretty bad when he's not out there and it doesn't take Scotty Bowman to put Roy on the half-wall and let everything run through him.

Comment

Originally posted by roma View Post
                          The problem is not a coaching one. The AD is not “up to snuff”; BC had similar isssues with their AD and they solved the problem, as NU should!
                          Pretty much sums up my feelings. Look, I'm just as much alarmed about the rapid deterioration of the program as anyone else but I can't in good conscience jump on any Fire JM bandwagon at this point. There's supposed to be some real talent coming in next year and I would want to see how things go with the extra depth before I look for anyone's head. And yes, I realize the goaltending prospects remain bleak. So far at the rest of this season goes, hold your nose and hope the for best.

BTW the AD isn't going anywhere unless he wants to. Not unless there's wholesale change at the top of the administration. That's just the hard, cold, facts of life.
                          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
                            To me, the only reason the PP is better is because of Roy. He leads the conference with 10 power play points and the team has 12 PPG as a whole. Its still pretty bad when he's not out there and it doesn't take Scotty Bowman to put Roy on the half-wall and let everything run through him.
                            What I have been saying!!! This team sucks!! without Roy there is nothing there. So WHY would any other coach make this team any better? That is my point on defending Madigan, there is nothing there.
                            Husky Hockey heading to the top of the bottom!

Comment

What I have been saying!!! This team sucks!! without Roy there is nothing there. So WHY would any other coach make this team any better? That is my point on defending Madigan, there is nothing there.
                              That's not what I'm saying. Sap, Pimm, Ferriero, Vermeersch, Karlsson and Sauce should all be decent to good power-play players with the right coaching. Roy is just so good that he can produce without coaching.

Comment

These are the comments I was talking about.

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                                Pretty much sums up my feelings. Look, I'm just as much alarmed about the rapid deterioration of the program as anyone else but I can't in good conscience jump on any Fire JM bandwagon at this point. There's supposed to be some real talent coming in next year and I would want to see how things go with the extra depth before I look for anyone's head. And yes, I realize the goaltending prospects remain bleak. So far at the rest of this season goes, hold your nose and hope the for best.
                                Split, Why are you not on the bandwagon yet? The deterioration of the program comes from the playing ability and the results on the ice. I personally have heard the line "some real talent coming in next year" for over a decade. Without a central ESPN like rankings that there is in Football and Basketball, we'll never truely know what we have until they play. Do you think Fern had the best talent in the 80s where we won 4 beanpots? He made something out of what he had. He was a good coach. What about when Robitaille was in goal? He was talent but his coach was awful. Nothing came from it. What about Crowder's day? Morris, Ryan, Fahey, Selig. All of these guys where "real talent". Only 1 actually was. We can kid ourselves and convince ourselves that next year will be better. But that doesn't produce winners on the ice. Its just sugarcoating the fact that this season sucks and next year has to be better.

As for the Goalies, how can you just push that aside when talking about "real talent"?! It's our major weak point now. In case you forgot, we did score 9 goals against BU and BC this weekend. 4.5 goals a game. You score that many goals on any level of organized hockey with kids over the age of 10, and you win 90-95% of those games. The problem is that we let in 14! 14 goals this weekend. 7 a game. And yes we let in 9 in one game, but there was 5 in the other!

I do want to note, that we would not have a goalie issue right now if it weren't for Roby, Madigan and Rawlings. Each have a major major hand in the fact that Rawlings somehow is still playing any form of hockey that doesn't revolve around beer and 50 yr old lawyers. Now everyone can have their opinion on why Gillies left, but personally, I put the blame solely on Madigan.

Also, I refuse to hold my nose and hope for the best. No one that has a successful program does that.

Start your petition, you guys are a bunch of losers. Funny thing, when you guys get your new coach and in 3 years from now after a blowout game against BC and everyone is saying new coach can't coach we'll just start the process again.
                                It is people like Steve that are the problem more than its the AD, coach or players. Until this defeatist attitude leaves the program, we will continue to hire fundraisers and get excited at 10 win seasons, 7th place finishes, and 3rd place Beanpots. We will wait and wait for things to change, even after we are aware that the changes will not come. It is people like him that allow 25 years of bad hockey, with a decent year scattered every 6 or so years.

But hey, history is against us. Why bother changing our mindset? Why bother caring? It's still the best deal in town. You know who else had their history against them? The Boston Red Sox. 86 years of failing, with 3-4 close seasons. What did they do? They changed, the found the right guys for the job, and they won 2 championships.

If we need to go through coaches every 3 years until we find the right one, so be it. I have given too much time and effort of my life to this program to watch it wash away and be a program where 8-9 other schools look at the schedule, look at us, and go "sweet 4 pt weekend".

Until the fan base cares. Until they demand a winning program, comments like these will continue. People like Steve will wait. People like Split will hope. And people like me (Happy Husky Victory, Theissen's Better, and various others on this thread) will complain and urge people to care to make this program mean something again.

Maybe its because we're younger and only been around the program for 10-15 years that we still care and actually want to have a winning team.
                                Last edited by NU Speed Racer; 01-24-2013, 01:52 PM.
                                Doghouse Class of 2004

Hockey East Fan of the Year 2004
                                NU "Superfan" Award winner 2004

Comment

Working...
                                X