X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern 2012-2013 Season Thread: A New Hope

Originally posted by steve66 View Post
    From ushr.

....The Commerce, Mich. native will be well accepted by the “Dog Pound” as he plays hard and without fear.

Are they already predicting his inevitable decommitment and subsequent move to Comm Ave?
    On Jamie Oleksiak:

Originally posted by Hokydad
    If he comes next year he will be eaten alive. Zero chance of success in Hockey East next year

Comment

Originally posted by HungryHungryHuskies View Post
      Are they already predicting his inevitable decommitment and subsequent move to Comm Ave?
      After that legendary performance over on Comm ave tonight, i think we're safe for just now.
      GO NU HOCKEY
      Always bullish on the future.
      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Perspective from another struggling team..

http://www.uscho.com/2013/01/10/prod...mism-at-maine/

good read.
        GO NU HOCKEY
        We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

while here there seems to be less perspective (talking about our HC here)..

http://huntnewsnu.com/2013/01/dump-a...h-for-huskies/

even with their dismal record.. advantage Maine tomorrow.
          GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

First Hockey East gm of 2013 tonight.. regardless of score, attendance, etc.. 60 minutes..
            60 minutes of hardwork, consistent hockey.. that's all the fans ask for. Thank you.
            GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

LOL, Pond will lead the league in penalty minutes if he does not clean up his game. I am sorry, but there is not an NHL player in that class, some talent? yes, who may steal a game here and there but don't expect a top 4 or 5 team next year. UNH, BU, BC, PC and ND will all be light years ahead of us. BTW, if you look across the Fens or up to Chestnut Hill or over to South Bend you will face the hard truth that we are just where we will always be ..which is nowhere, far from even a Beanpot in every other decade and anything but an occasional NCAA birth but once in a blue moon, and that's the reality of it. Also, tonight’s pathetic split on home ice was really last rites of this season, which is over, it should be a wake up call to the alumni who should demand more form its administration. We managed just one point in a must win game in which Maine skated far better than us for 2 periods, a single point against a last place team with no quality players and a good goalie it’s pathetic.

That really bad last place Maine team that got off >40 shots against us! So, best of luck JM! Say whatever you want but the team was far better and had more hope under Cronin and if you think otherwise your head is up your ***. JM never gets this team out of better than 6th or 7th place in his finest hour and he too will be gone in 3 to 5 years and we will start the same process with some new schmuck who can’t do anything with the program. BTW, Cronin’s recruits were far and away better then this class of kids. You are all fooling yourselves.

Comment

As Jekyll & Hyde as he is.. Rawlings played well tonight. Gave us a chance for the 'W'. We missed Karlsson.. that would have made a difference. Roy was a bit off his gm but still managed our lone goal.

Also, 'D' played much better.. did their job for the most part. It was nice to have Cornell back. A lot of the Maine shots, Rawlings got a good look & early. We had our chances to put this one away - game of inches.

This season.. it is what it is. No expectations.. one gm at a time from here on out.
                GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by RossiRules View Post
                  LOL, Pond will lead the league in penalty minutes if he does not clean up his game. I am sorry, but there is not an NHL player in that class, some talent? yes, who may steal a game here and there but don't expect a top 4 or 5 team next year. UNH, BU, BC, PC and ND will all be light years ahead of us. BTW, if you look across the Fens or up to Chestnut Hill or over to South Bend you will face the hard truth that we are just where we will always be ..which is nowhere, far from even a Beanpot in every other decade and anything but an occasional NCAA birth but once in a blue moon, and that's the reality of it. Also, tonight’s pathetic split on home ice was really last rites of this season, which is over, it should be a wake up call to the alumni who should demand more form its administration. We managed just one point in a must win game in which Maine skated far better than us for 2 periods, a single point against a last place team with no quality players and a good goalie it’s pathetic.

That really bad last place Maine team that got off >40 shots against us! So, best of luck JM! Say whatever you want but the team was far better and had more hope under Cronin and if you think otherwise your head is up your ***. JM never gets this team out of better than 6th or 7th place in his finest hour and he too will be gone in 3 to 5 years and we will start the same process with some new schmuck who can’t do anything with the program. BTW, Cronin’s recruits were far and away better then this class of kids. You are all fooling yourselves.
                  I see your point about NU fans sometimes fooling themselves. Occasionally there will be a comment on diehard about so and so maybe going to play pro hockey and I wonder if the poster realizes it'll be the SPHL or CHL that particular player goes to. The talent level needs to be upgraded, no kidding. The group for next year actually isn't all that bad based on their performances this year. I could see Szmatula, Benning, Stevens and Hedges all playing regular minutes right away. How bad could that be when you consider Sap, Vermeesch, Vrolyk and Ellement are the only regular skaters who we can plan on graduating. I actually think Vrolyk has had a solid year for a third liner. Would be nice if there were two other third liners that could put in 8-10 goals as that's what it takes from your third line to win in HE. If Szmatula turns out to just be a late bloomer as it looks like right now, we could have a diamond in the rough that the other Boston teams never have to look for. And hey, the D-Men absolutely couldn't be any worse next year.

I've been traveling a ton so I haven't been able to go to a game since November. Hopefully, having been away, I'll notice differences in at least some player's games once I get to a game. Assuming one of the goalies can play consistently, next years team should be a little better. Yeah I'm not happy about another team possibly missing the HE playoffs but as frustrating as it is, I'd rather be positive than point out all the missed opportunities for getting stud players. Cronin, Johansen, Gaudraeu, Gilles, Haar and Oleksiak aren't walking thru that door and everyone needs to S T F U about it and move on. They did.

Comment

Originally posted by RossiRules View Post

NHL talent??? How many guys in the past 70 years has NU put in the NHL? Chris Nilan is the most prolific NU alumni and he was there to fight. So that point is nuts. I liked Cronin, take a look at his stats, 1 NCAA appearance, 1 HE semi finals, 1 home ice in playoffs. That all hapened in 1 season. What was the other 5 years? Bunch of finish's in 6th or worse. That has been NU from day 1. There was some success in the 80's but stack that up against our NCAA neighbors and they are considered down years for them.

You say that with JM there will be just the occasional NCAA trip. Look at the banner at Mathews, that is NU. 1982, 1988, 1995, 2009, occasional visit is being generous. That is a blind squirrel. The team this year sucks!!! With Darcy, with Manno they sucked! Its going to take time to rebuild, Cronin may have been on the verge of laying some stability here. But his last season here to me was a huge disappointment. That team lost at home to Bentley as well, finished in 6th place. They ended on a nice note, but they underachieved.
                    Husky Hockey heading to the top of the bottom!

Comment

I would say Dan McGillis was far better than Nilan and Cronin made two HE semi-finals. Just a few small corrections.

Comment

Steve. Reality time: NU had nothing to sell when Nilan & McGillis roamed the arena. They do now. Cronin rattled enuf cages to get some upgrades...maybe not BU-BC-UNH quality....but sellable. The NU brand is good enuf to get Oleksiak, Gaudrea,u, Gillies & Bitetto caliber recruits. It doesn't matter who the coach is...if NU rolled out the Goalie talent that BU BC, UNH and Maine (used to do it).....Cronin's last 2 years would have been consistent w Thiessens last season. U Can Not Win wout goaltending. CR is not good. If he were at PC and NU had Gillies....flip flop the records. BTW...I would guess that Cronin's last 4 years produced an aggregate winning overall & HE record that would have only been behind BC, BU & UNH for those years. Can u imagine that record w a better G? NU needs a goalie like BT to win...and guess what. Everyone else does, including BU & BC. If they had CR....they may not finish where NU does...but they not in home ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Sully75 View Post
                          Steve. Reality time: NU had nothing to sell when Nilan & McGillis roamed the arena. They do now. Cronin rattled enuf cages to get some upgrades...maybe not BU-BC-UNH quality....but sellable. The NU brand is good enuf to get Oleksiak, Gaudrea,u, Gillies & Bitetto caliber recruits. It doesn't matter who the coach is...if NU rolled out the Goalie talent that BU BC, UNH and Maine (used to do it).....Cronin's last 2 years would have been consistent w Thiessens last season. U Can Not Win wout goaltending. CR is not good. If he were at PC and NU had Gillies....flip flop the records. BTW...I would guess that Cronin's last 4 years produced an aggregate winning overall & HE record that would have only been behind BC, BU & UNH for those years. Can u imagine that record w a better G? NU needs a goalie like BT to win...and guess what. Everyone else does, including BU & BC. If they had CR....they may not finish where NU does...but they not in home ice.
                          I agree with you 100%, Rawlings sucks. They should have told Gillies that he was going to start. Looks like next year they are going with Witt, and Mountain
                          Husky Hockey heading to the top of the bottom!

Comment

I agree with you 100%, Rawlings sucks. They should have told Gillies that he was going to start. Looks like next year they are going with Witt, and Mountain
                            Great point Steve,can you,or anyone tell me why someone couldnt have told Gillies he would be the starter,are there politics here that we don't know about,It's a no-brainer on paper,but why don't things like this happen where the man that's gonna put up the numbers gets the shot?

Comment

Mountain is a senior.
                              Celebrating 20 Years of TheDogHouse

Comment

The team this year sucks!!! With Darcy, with Manno they sucked! Its going to take time to rebuild..
                                .. don't forget the coaching. no free passes.
                                GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Working...
                                X