X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern 2012-2013 Season Thread: A New Hope

Originally posted by Ryecheers View Post
    His leaving was related to hockey and his opinion of the kind of ice time he deserved. He was a good student. The CoOp system was available to him or (as most players) he could finish in a traditional four year period. We had > 46,000 applications for about 2600 spots last year. I understand that we are ahead of that pace. The "system" is attracting a ton of interest. It is scary hard to get in, which is no help to athletics.

Rossi -
    When you say we are trying to get rid of Madigan, I have two questions. First, who is "we" exactly? Secondly. why would you want to get rid of a guy who has been a terrific ASSET to the University for many years?

OTOH, when you speak/write about kicking Roby to the curb, I know exactly who "we" is!
    Listen, there is no doubt that JM has been a historical asset to the University in varied capacities. So, as a result why not let him go back to an Administrative function. However, this is really about giving someone an opportunity and realizing that being a asset to the university and being a good coach have nothing to do with one another. If that were a prerequisite for coaching a lot of great coaches would never have gotten anywhere. JM is a patsy of a recent university administration much different from the alumni who give the big $$.

A vast majority of the $$ that is going to NU is still coming form people who graduated before it's transformation into a more stellar academic institution. We have no ties to the philosophies of the recent administrations so we don’t care what they think, want or do. JM is popular with many of the old hockey players and athletes, many of whom were my casual friends, but a vast majority of them are now back in Canada and scattered around our big blue marble. Also, here is a newsflash not many of the greats that you see whose names are plastered in the "Media Guide" or in inshrined the rafters in the "Old Barn" have never given a thin cent to NU. The vast majority of peeps I watch the games with, write big checks with of 4, 5, 6 and a few 7 digits before the decimal point.

If this is an experiment, so be it, thus give him a few seasons to see if he can build both winners and the charters of young men, but if he can’t, we shouldn’t keep him around like we did Fern for 20 seasons. It is now crystal clear in hind sight, that we should have had a national search for a top coach from the get go and we should be paying him the Franklin's a that a coach commands in a premiere league. The fact that this search never happened, is clearly the reason we are in the shape we are in now. This game has changed a lot in the 20 years JM was away.

When JM played nearly 100% of the team received their degree or at least wanted too. Today, many top players in hockey may not stick around for a degree. If the university is now changed academically to a top tier institution then that philosophy should also now extend to the athletic arena. However, it p*ss*es me off when I hear Roby poo-poo winning while I am looking at a press box and renovations that were largely funded by locally born and bread hard working blue color yet successful NU grads of the 60’s ,70’s and 80’s who worked their asses off while he was twinkling away under the affirmative action programs that allowed him to receive an Ivy League education.

Does that answer your question as to who? Who is a list of people who stated business in the 128 belt, and we want a winner now. Starting with a beanpot win over BU or BC while we are still on the planet and aren't yet food for worms.
    Last edited by RossiRules; 12-11-2012, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RossiRules View Post
      Listen, there is no doubt that JM has been a historical asset to the University in varied capacities. So, as a result why not let him go back to an Administrative function. However, this is really about giving someone an opportunity and realizing that being a asset to the university and being a good coach have nothing to do with one another..
      ..exactly. Cam Neely does not Coach the Boston Bruins, but he does play an important role behind the scenes in the success of the franchise. There are alums like JM at the other Beanpot schools too.. who help their respective programs behind the scenes even with their hockey history & talents. One does not mix this with emotion or the serious (National?)..search of a Head Coach to replace one that just left for the NHL (i am taking about the Cronin departure & our loss of recruits)..

This game has changed a lot in the 20 years JM was away..
      ..this is so very true. And he has not been behind the bench in a while.. Good point Rossi.

Anyway, regardless of where this all ends up.. this is the best discussion on the NU threads in quite a while & i sincerely hope some good comes out of it. As has been said by many, including myself.. just give us a team & Coach that competes! The NU fan base will come out in droves.. Beanpot & beyond..
      GO NU HOCKEY
      Always bullish on the future.
      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

However, it p*ss*es me off when I hear Roby poo-poo winning while I am looking at a press box and renovations that were largely funded by locally born and bread hard working blue color yet successful NU grads of the 60’s ,70’s and 80’s who worked their asses off while he was twinkling away under the affirmative action programs that allowed him to receive an Ivy League education.
        Louise Day Hicks would have been proud of this rant.
        Buffoon Detector

Comment

hahaha. oh man i missed that part because i tend to skim over rossi's posts. what a clown
          my huskies > your huskies

Comment

• It is too bad some of you won't pony up the small fee to join dieharddogs. The discussion would be that much better...especially you Rossi. Just pony up and take your points of view there to liven up the talks.

Comment

Originally posted by fahey4prez View Post
              It is too bad some of you won't pony up the small fee to join dieharddogs. The discussion would be that much better...especially you Rossi. Just pony up and take your points of view there to liven up the talks.
              I am down! Count me in. Ah the truth hurts. Lots of lip from lots of peeps who likely have never dug deep into there pocket to write a check to their alma mater. Luv it! BTW, I have been to Cleveland co owned a hotel there once, had to fumigate it every other week. Sure, I will anti up the dockets to join. In fact if you’re the webmaster send me your address and if after I take a look around and if I like what I see I will send you some seed $$. I didn’t know it was out there. I am all for user fees. I wish this thing had them to keep out the riff raff and morons who don’t know the deference between and odd man rush and old man winter or defensive pinch from a porter pint and haven’t seen an actual game since they graduated. Louisa Day Hicks? Ah, I love bussing as I took the bus every day to the Bronx High School of Science with 500 other kids, like Roby who received 400 free points on the admission test while kids in my neighborhood in Woodlawn who actually had high scores were denied admission. I employ those guys now… they work in cubicles in my office, sometimes I say "hi" to them. Anyway, on to the new site dieharddogs!

Comment

It is too bad some of you won't pony up the small fee to join dieharddogs. The discussion would be that much better...especially you Rossi. Just pony up and take your points of view there to liven up the talks.
                I would love to join you guys,it's just that 30 bucks is alot of clams when you are trying to put food on the table,let alone afford tics for a game that often,I am still very happy here too and thankful for it,and hoping you make it free so we can all join in.
                Last edited by Happy Husky; 12-12-2012, 09:36 PM.

Comment

I am down! Count me in. Ah the truth hurts. Lots of lip from lots of peeps who likely have never dug deep into there pocket to write a check to their alma mater. Luv it! BTW, I have been to Cleveland co owned a hotel there once, had to fumigate it every other week. Sure, I will anti up the dockets to join. In fact if you’re the webmaster send me your address and if after I take a look around and if I like what I see I will send you some seed $$. I didn’t know it was out there. I am all for user fees. I wish this thing had them to keep out the riff raff and morons who don’t know the deference between and odd man rush and old man winter or defensive pinch from a porter pint and haven’t seen an actual game since they graduated. Louisa Day Hicks? Ah, I love bussing as I took the bus every day to the Bronx High School of Science with 500 other kids, like Roby who received 400 free points on the admission test while kids in my neighborhood in Woodlawn who actually had high scores were denied admission. I employ those guys now… they work in cubicles in my office, sometimes I say "hi" to them. Anyway, on to the new site dieharddogs!
                  Rossi.. is that you in there? I dunno..
                  Anyway, hey some of us do support the U. just beyond hockey.. didn't realize we had to advertise it..

Far as DHD.. its just that when i have the time.. iam on USCHO & get all my coll hockey news/ updates in one place.. i like reading/ hearing from posters here (from other schools as well) & by that time.. back to work.

Again, re. DHD.. i have been curious.. never know perhaps one of these months i'll try it. Those guys from the Ledger always knew their sports.
                  GO NU HOCKEY
                  We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

On another note.. our nxt opponent's losing players at a faster rate than us.. this way when we play Harvard on the 29th.. might be cross ice /4x4 type match up.
                    Maybe we'll even score..
                    GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

On principle, paying to talk sports is ridiculous.
                      Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                      Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

I believe there is a reduced fee for students and recent grads. It might represent one hour's wages or a game ticket (for which students usually don't pay for).

You'll get much broader discussions and info.

You can do it!

Comment

A couple of weeks ago I ran into a hockey agent...err, advisor...who advises a player that is committed to NU. I talked to him for a while and asked very pointed questions about JM. He said JM is very much respected, well liked, and is viewed as a good coach. He also said there aren't concerns about NU and the current situation is being viewed from the outside as rebuilding. Take it for what it's worth...
                          This is not a rebuild, this is a joke. And it will not get better. Mark my words. Until Roby is gone, realizes his mistake or we get a real coach. Maybe the captain's practices over break get us a couple wins. Viewed as a good coach by who? Loyalists who cannot see the light.

Askew to BU by the way. That didn't take long.
                          Northeastern Huskies

Comment

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
                            This is not a rebuild, this is a joke. And it will not get better. Mark my words. Until Roby is gone, realizes his mistake or we get a real coach. Maybe the captain's practices over break get us a couple wins. Viewed as a good coach by who? Loyalists who cannot see the light.

Askew to BU by the way. That didn't take long.
                            The fact that he got a kid of that caliber to commit to NU was a shocker anyway. Did anyone really think he was coming?
                            Husky Hockey heading to the top of the bottom!

Comment

Originally posted by steve66 View Post
                              The fact that he got a kid of that caliber to commit to NU was a shocker anyway. Did anyone really think he was coming?
                              I don't really care that he decommitted. 8th grade is ridiculous to be committing to anything at that age. A 14 year old decommitting is far from any immediate worry. And it wasn't that much of a shocker, considering Cronin got Gaudreau, Oleksiak and Ryan Johansen all committed here.

The fact remains this team is regressing under JM. To be 0-17-3 when trailing after two periods is pathetic for a coaching regime. And he didn't inherit a garbage team, he inherited a team that beat BU in a playoff series. In 49 games we have been outshot 39 times. And of course on TV we are 0-6.

I don't see this getting better. Olsson, Benning and Szmatula are not going to change the lack of proper coaching.
                              Northeastern Huskies

Comment

The most amazing thing about the above post is that Oleksiak actually made it to campus.

Comment

Working...
                                X