X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern 2012-2013 Season Thread: A New Hope

Originally posted by steve66 View Post
    Here's why I disagree with you on the recruits de-committing. These 3 kids have all just recently committed to Madigan. Lets face it, kids don't commit to schools they commit to coach's as we saw all too well in the summer of 2011. So in this scenario, Manno shows up after 1.5 years at NU and there are 3 kids who are coming to NU. He starts talking to these kids and they say why did you leave? Well I wasn't playing as much as I thought I deserved too. Then these kids see this kid step on the ice and they say. Ok, he sucks that's why. Manno had committed to UMass and then when Haar, Kovics, and Gaudeau all left he cam here cause he thought there would be more opportunity to play. Madigan needed players so he brought him on, gave him a shot. If I was one of those 3 kids who has committed to Madigan, likes his style, Madigan likes there's, I am not going to care that this kid who is a weak skater decided to bail cause he thinks he should be on the PP.
    If I may ask a question as an outsider, I heard today that Manno's reasoning for leaving was more school related (not grades, just didn't like the NU system -- whatever that means)? If that's all it is, he might not have anything bad to say about NU outside of that?
    Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
    2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
    2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
      If I may ask a question as an outsider, I heard today that Manno's reasoning for leaving was more school related (not grades, just didn't like the NU system -- whatever that means)? If that's all it is, he might not have anything bad to say about NU outside of that?
      .. the hockey community is a small world. if he is smart, he'll just concentrate on moving on & playing to the best of his abilities unless there was some gross injustice (which i doubt).
      GO NU HOCKEY
      Always bullish on the future.
      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
        well written.. (and reasoned).. still hope they WAKE UP in the athletics office someday! ...

http://www.huskyhockeynews.com/2012/...-here-to-stay/
        LOL! Of course, Roby thinks Madigan should stay he picked him, he is nuts if he thinks the President isn’t going to set a fire under is *** if he loses every game this season and he probably will lose the rest. We are talking about getting rid of both Madigan and Roby, not just Madigan! It has nothing to do with what he wants. When the alumni make a big enough stink he will be gone no matter what Roby wants. BTW, lets face it, with ND in HE next year and CT on the way we are just going to be 2 spots further into the basement with Roby’s mentality. Again, using his logic uncovered in this article , we should expect nothing until he is gone. I am sure you have all noticed that CT has both an AD and alumni base who have a firm understanding the business of sport and its effects on the universities bottom line and expect them to be winning early and often. There is no correlation between being a nice guy, a well liked member of the university community and being a good coach. I would prefer we had a an unkempt, unlikable, schmuck who was constantly at odds with his players, alumni and university administration, if he did one thing,and that thing is JUST WIN BABY!
        Last edited by RossiRules; 12-11-2012, 12:04 AM.

Comment

• ..Rossi, maybe per Roby then.. we'd belong in the ECAC and take our chances there.. who knows what options are on the table with these guys.. per him.. winning.. its over rated.. perhaps some of our current team has bought into that mindset..
          Last edited by northeastern; 12-11-2012, 12:07 AM.
          GO NU HOCKEY
          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

• I just hope the HC has a plan in place because as the school rises.. the students on campus & growing alumni base will demand it.. history or no history.. heck look at Quinnipiac this season..
            GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by Sully75 View Post
              I just returned from Europe, after a 3 months abroad & checked into this site. Surprised to see how foolish u all are...NU Hockey has an identity crisis. Coach Flaman had a taste of success, and after almost 2 decades of losing, NU fired Crowder (btw he did a great job at UML before NU). Cronin inherited maybe the worst team in HE history with a 3 win team. Cronin did something Crowder, Smith & Flaman could not do. He rehabbed the entire program & helped facilitate the Arena Renovation....and..won by developing players from a 3 win team. They went to 2 HE final fours, a near miss in 2 BPot finals, an NCAA tourney and several All Americans/All HE's in his last 3 years. The crappy NU image was being replaced by some success and NU was poised to make a consistent run at success. Look who NU had for players & recruits before Cronin AND STAFF..were run out of town for "texting" recruits?? Texting!? How would NU be with Gaudreau. Haar, Gillies, Oleksiak, B. Reid, Bitetto, Eibler, Dongara....over the last year and a half. You all had it going in a good direction and someone blew it all up. What a shame...Madagan inherited a good situation....and he will lose too. WHY? There is no leadership above him. Cronin & his staff gave NU a taste of success & it was derailed. U reap what u sow...the sad thing is that the BCeagle is right. U alumns r attacking one of ur own...& one of NU's best ambassadors in JM.
              Had a conversation with a former NU hockey player. He played 4 years for Cronin and did not like his personality at all, but conceded that he was an excellent coach who lived 24/7 for hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                His leaving was related to hockey and his opinion of the kind of ice time he deserved. He was a good student. The CoOp system was available to him or (as most players) he could finish in a traditional four year period. We had > 46,000 applications for about 2600 spots last year. I understand that we are ahead of that pace. The "system" is attracting a ton of interest. It is scary hard to get in, which is no help to athletics.

Rossi -
                When you say we are trying to get rid of Madigan, I have two questions. First, who is "we" exactly? Secondly. why would you want to get rid of a guy who has been a terrific ASSET to the University for many years?

OTOH, when you speak/write about kicking Roby to the curb, I know exactly who "we" is!

Comment

Ryecheers, Roma or other well connected people "in the know",

Is there an individual, phone # or something that those of us who are very concerned about the direction that this program is going in, can contact to express our displeasure with the current situation? I think a lot of people that comment about our team are very passionate and want the best, but don't necessarily know who the proper person would be to speak with or contact to voice our concerns. Whether it be a change in coach, AD or both, who would be the person to contact?
                  Dog House Class of 2003

"Puh Pah Playoffs!...You talk about playoffs?... You kiddin' me? Playoffs?"

55-622-73-35-418, I'm on FIRE!

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Husky Victory! View Post
                    Ryecheers, Roma or other well connected people "in the know",

Is there an individual, phone # or something that those of us who are very concerned about the direction that this program is going in, can contact to express our displeasure with the current situation? I think a lot of people that comment about our team are very passionate and want the best, but don't necessarily know who the proper person would be to speak with or contact to voice our concerns. Whether it be a change in coach, AD or both, who would be the person to contact?
                    If you want to complain about the coach, contact the athletic director. If you want to complain about the athletic director, contact the president, board of trustees, VP of fundraising/development, etc. It is best to write a letter through the old fashioned way of US Mail or by email with your name attached. Be manly enough to stand behind what you say. Do not use vulgarities. Do not go on a rant. Say you are a long time fan, alum, concerned about direction of program, why you are concerned, say you will stop donating money, stop buying tickets, if the program continues in this direction. Give them facts for why Madigan/Roby should go. Do not say "Roby sucks, Madigan can't coach." Say why they are performing poorly.

Comment

..i was going to give up my season tix & go watch some Bruins gms for a while.. oops.

In all seriousness.. if the 2nd half of the season does not show improvement.. and im not even talking about wins.. just wanting to watch our team trying hard each gm instead of just laying down.. then i will consider giving up my tix (i will not be the only one)..

NU Hockey needs to change. Period. The status quo will not be tolerated. If JM has a capacity to do it.. more power to him. If not, i will wait until there are changes made in the program, before coming back. Again, its not about wins.. just getting the players & staff that gives it their all as is expected & witnessed night in night out in several hockey rinks.

Heck, if this means making a move to the ECAC (due the increased apps, pressure on athletes, academics etc).. so we have a better shot yr in, yr out.. so be it. Come playoffs, anything goes. I was against this for the longest time, but do realize things have changed at the school on several levels.

Also, i thank irishfan for the advice. Its good advice. if enough of us pen our concerns.. perhaps there is chance with this avenue as well to be heard.
                      GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

I'm so sick of hearing about the coach and the AD. These are just excuses! Guys just accept the fact the team stinks. No upper class talent at all. Hope the the next couple of classes have talent.
                        Husky Hockey heading to the top of the bottom!

Comment

• Originally posted by steve66 View Post
                          I'm so sick of hearing about the coach and the AD. These are just excuses! Guys just accept the fact the team stinks. No upper class talent at all. Hope the the next couple of classes have talent.
                          What happened

Comment

• Originally posted by Sully75 View Post
                            What happened
                            NU has a history of losing. NU Hockey reflects an institutional problem. Cronin & staff may not have been liked by everyone, but they had the strength to rattle enuf cages in the INSTITUTION to get a little support to fuel their goals of winning. Albie & Sebastian recruited good players & the staff coached them UP....yes UP Steve. As they chipped away at some humble success (although not winning a championship)...they showed evidence that u could win at NU. Then...a funny thing happened...they got great, not good, but great recruits that would help them win more, because they believed that the staff would win. I remember reading an article in NY Times a few years back about the rise of NU Hockey in the face of BU & BC. I was proud to be an alumn. The trajectory was coming together. They had a staff that actually had a plan & got people to buy in. Now in the absence of that staff....the athletic department is revealed for what it is: part of the institutional problem. Get behind the program 100% or accept the consequences of losing. NU can win (see MC & PC who just hired a great coach who is doing what Cronin & staff did at NU before exiting). BTW...why did the ENTIRE STAFF leave without anyone getting fired? Doesn't that say something about being rotten in Denmark??. Yes....NU needs better players....but they still have good players who are playing below their abilities (from what I read). I am rooting for Madigan & his staff & players. They beat ND, Michigan & Minnesota all on the road last year.....with almost all Cronin players. (that means RAwlings too). That's all the evidence that there is talent....because that was quite a run.....

Comment

Originally posted by roma View Post
                              Had a conversation with a former NU hockey player. He played 4 years for Cronin and did not like his personality at all, but conceded that he was an excellent coach who lived 24/7 for hockey.

Well said, in fact you have taken all of the words out of my mouth and trust me if you have seen the length of my posts that's not an easy thing to do. You are dead on that Cronin was the best coach we ever had and I knew Fern and played for him, he was content to just be there and build fine young men. I really don’t give a fat rats *** about character development and graduation rates these days. I just want to win. Cronin was unreal hockey mind , a bit quirky too. Although, I used to e-mail him and he would e-mail me back or even text me. He would talk about the game and ask me what I had thought. He lives for hockey and would give up his right arm if he could win a big game. He was a great coach who will likely coach as a head coach in the NHL someday. Arguably, we had the best recruits we ever did under his tenure. Madigan is a nice guy and nice guys finish last and the AD doesn't care.
                              Last edited by RossiRules; 12-11-2012, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by steve66 View Post
                                Do you understand the idea of putting players in position to succeed?
                                Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                                Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Working...
                                X