This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern 2012-2013 Season Thread: A New Hope

3 coll gms on TV tonight.. (been a while since that happened )..

Harvard @ Merrimack on WBIN
    Princeton-Qunnipiac on NESN i believe..
    Michigan St- Notre Dame on NBC Sports..
    GO NU HOCKEY
    Always bullish on the future.
    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Manno is headed for Dubuque, because he didn't feel that he was getting enough ice time and enough PP time. He'd been getting 12-15 minutes a game. He got <10 minutes Saturday after being banged up a bit and not playing in the the third period. The parting was amicable and mutual. He finished the semester and was very solid academically. He needs to be smarter in the O zone. He was good about tracking down pucks, but not good at knowing what to do with it once he got it. He missed his share of open nets, but so have a lot of our guys.

Chances are better than even that JM will replace him with a more productive/smarter player who'll be ready to come in and help next fall.

Comment

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
        What did BU do after they lost Trivino and Coyle, they lit it up and became a top 5 team.
        They went 13-10 without those two.

Comment

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
          Can we also talk about how we suck? What did BU do after they lost Trivino and Coyle, they lit it up and became a top 5 team. We will not be doing that.

steve, I honestly feel bad for you, you remind me of Al Davis. Oblivious to mediocrity and failure.
          I feel bad for your guys, what the hell will the next coach do? Be the guy who will do what no other NU coach has been able to do, win! Take a look at the last 20 years, hell 30 years. 1 HE title, 3 beanpots and 3 NCAA appearances. I liked Cronin, but did anyone think his last season here that team was a 6th place team? I did not,m I thought they would finish in the top of the league and go to NCAA's. They **** the bed. I've been rooting for this team for the last 30 years, its been the same thing all long, every now and then they put together a wining year but always filter back to who they are. So we can fire Madigan, bring in the next guy, who always looks better than what is here Then in a couple of years when we have a bunch of 6-10 place finish's we can throw out another name of a coach that will definitely be better than what we have.

Darcy hurt, that was a big part of the future, no doubt about it. Manno is nothing, gives them another scholarship. Seems to me like there are a bunch of quitters on this team. Probably explains why they are where there are. But if you guys want to blame the coach's then go ahead. Its easier, cause in one swoop you hire a new coach and everything is right. But if you have to admit its the players, then its a real big problem that will take years to fix.
          Husky Hockey heading to the top of the bottom!

Comment

Steve, that's how it works when you lose. You aren't given forever to start showing results. I will say that barring scandal or Colorado football results, every coach should be given more than a couple years. Sounds like the majority of NU fans think Madigan is a pretty good recruiter, but just can't coach them. That seems reasonable to me. Have him stay on as recruiting coordinator

There are plenty of examples of guys who can recruit but can't coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
              ...The program we both have followed for years and that we both love to our very bone marrow is disintegrating right before our eyes....You want something to complain about? Start with Peter Roby!
              I hate it when I quote myself.
              "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                They went 13-10 without those two.
                For a time though I believe they got hot before cooling off.
                Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Steve.. everything about NU has changed in the last 20 odd years for the better (save the hockey).

Then it came to the hockey & they hired Cronin.. a step in the right direction. We saw some success & good players including a #2 National ranking. Too bad things panned a certain way; but they could have more than adequately replaced Cronin ith someone qualified nationally. Instead.. with Madigan it was almost an impulse decision to hire someone from fundraising -from right there on campus. As has been pointed out.. he is a recruiter. HC.. unfortunately - no. Sorry!

Oh what the heck.. we're rooting for the same team.. i hope you're right (with the players coming in nxt season) & i'm wrong.

I just think Petr Roby blew this hire big time & Madigan still could have played a solid role with the hockey.. only.. behind the scenes.. not the bench.
                  GO NU HOCKEY
                  We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by steve66 View Post
                    ... Take a look at the last 20 years, hell 30 years. 1 HE title, 3 beanpots and 3 NCAA appearances.....
                    Who you trying to kid? NU has three beanpots in the last 30yrs?!? I call BS!!!

a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                      Not just those two...numerous other kids not involved with that stuff.

Let me ask you NU fans something, Mike Cavanaugh interviewed for the NU job a while back, correct? Was it when Cronin was hired? Both times? I can't remember. Anyway, what I don't know is after the interview process, was he really interested in the NU job? Wouldn't that be someone to go after rather than a scout?
                      Cavanaugh interviewed for the position when Greg Cronin got the job, he did not apply for it this time around. At this point, I think Cavanaugh expects to take over the helm when and if Jerry York decides to call it a career.

If the confidence surrounding the team wasn't bad enough, losing another player midseason might be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Before we know it, there will not be enough players on the roster to field a complete team. It scares me that I'm hearing people who are close to the team (i.e. trainers and player's girlfriends) say that the team is tuning Madigan out because they do not believe he is the right person to lead them. When they first announced that he was among the three finalists for the job, I thought that was just to appease the alumni, however, when I heard he got the job, I was beside myself. I understand that the guy has been around the game as a scout for a long time, but to hire a coach who hasn't been behind a bench in over twenty years is preposterous. Anyhow, I hope they can somehow salvage this season with some shred of dignity.
                      "We just didn't get the lucky bounces..."

Comment

Originally posted by Motorboaters View Post
                        Cavanaugh interviewed for the position when Greg Cronin got the job, he did not apply for it this time around. At this point, I think Cavanaugh expects to take over the helm when and if Jerry York decides to call it a career.

If the confidence surrounding the team wasn't bad enough, losing another player midseason might be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Before we know it, there will not be enough players on the roster to field a complete team. It scares me that I'm hearing people who are close to the team (i.e. trainers and player's girlfriends) say that the team is tuning Madigan out because they do not believe he is the right person to lead them. When they first announced that he was among the three finalists for the job, I thought that was just to appease the alumni, however, when I heard he got the job, I was beside myself. I understand that the guy has been around the game as a scout for a long time, but to hire a coach who hasn't been behind a bench in over twenty years is preposterous. Anyhow, I hope they can somehow salvage this season with some shred of dignity.

Couple of things, he was offered the job 8 years ago and turned it down. They then hired Cronin, he has been the guy they have wanted for awhile. He may not be the right man for the job, all I am saying is that 1+ years is not enough time to make that judgement.

Salt on the wound, I have heard from a somewhat reliable source that Roy is leaving for the Q.
                        Husky Hockey heading to the top of the bottom!

Comment

Originally posted by steve66 View Post
                          ..Salt on the wound, I have heard from a somewhat reliable source that Roy is leaving for the Q.
                          ..game -set -match!

I don't blame the Q for looking at our entire team at this point..

Who was it.. Madigan who said.. 'time to blow things up & start afresh'..
                          no kidding. Starting with himself..

Shame on Peter Roby.. NU Admin should fire him now (Roby that is)! Transition Madigan to ADs office.
                          Let's do all the housekeeping/house cleaning this season itself. If something good has to come (and i am sure it will).. do it this season. Like i said before.. we can't lock out college hockey.. let's just lock out the Huskies for this one season.

Sorry to fellow Husky fans for any comments that may have offended anyone..
                          NU hockey.. we'll see better days.
                          GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Just watched Wednesday's ESPN Outside the Lines. Peter Roby was part of a 4 man panel discussing coaching hiring/firing and paying buyouts. He was of the belief that firing a coach before his contract is up and paying him to not coach is almost always a bad decision, and that fans will come even if the team is not a championship contender. Good luck guys.

When is Madigan's contract up, by the way?

Comment

Originally posted by steve66 View Post

Salt on the wound, I have heard from a somewhat reliable source that Roy is leaving for the Q.
                              I checked with a source, who is better than yours, who believes Roy will be around for a while. He is doing well in school and is very close with his brother who is certainly expected to stay.

Thank you sincerely for sharing a rumor like this that can only described as kicking the program (and its fans) while it is down. Without rectal cranial inversions like yourself, who believes everything he hears without checking the facts, we might never have our rumors promulgated.

Comment

I figured Askew before he de-committed as his family and Darcy's are close. Last week, I saw the St Sebastian’s line without him and they are clearly not as good as they were with him as they lost 3 to 2 to lowly Milton and needed OT to get past Rivers. In fact Seb’s has a full line of commitments to BU and of course Noah Hannifin, who is committed to BC, so it was nice to have had one local kid in Askew committed to NU even if he was only 15.

I expect he will light it up over at Cushing where academic help is much more prevalent.

I have an ear close to the track and fully expect Roy to stick it out for the remainder of this season, but next year ? who knows by the end of this season when we have 25 losses he may just want to pack it in.

However, I really do not expect that any of the following will ever actually make it Huntington Ave. Michael Szmatula, Matt Benning and John Stevens, Why? LOL! Do I really need to say it? You all know why. After they speak with new teammate Manno my guess is they all pursue other options . I mean we might get one of them but all three I doubt it. Program is in trouble.’ However, we need this to happen so that Roby is released. He is the real rung in the ladder that is preventing NU to move to the next level nationally in sport.
                                Last edited by RossiRules; 12-08-2012, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X