X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern 2012-2013 Season Thread: A New Hope

Originally posted by Ryecheers View Post
    These were not all decommits I thought you might like to have some of the facts.

The Gaudreaus - You all know the story. If JG turns pro, it will be interesting to see how BC handles little bro - who isn't 20% of the player his brother is.

Berkle - didn't come through with the grades. Doing well at Bowling Green

Juell - Foreign player with eligibility problems. Never got close to campus. Got traded to Cedar Rapids. Not playing in NCAA

McLauglin - we dropped him. A Cronin recruit (as opposed to Albie or Seb.) Claim to fame is slick goal. Justo committed to PC

McKee - Not nearly as good as he thought he was. Decommed when we deferred him for a year. WMU took him and deferred him for another year. Say something about his head being nearly as big as the rest of him.

Kovacs - Cro recruit playing 4th line at WMU. Decided to stay closer to home when Cronin resigned.

Haar - All rookie at WMU. Might have gone to BC if they hadn't had JGaudreau in their sights (while still under an NLI to NU)

Ryan Renz - Sebastien saw him on the best night of his career. Father decomitted the kid when we wanted to defer him. 2 1/2 years later, he is still available and has done little to distinguish himself in the excellent Vernon program. His Dad should be on our Hockey Christmas list.

The recruiting process is much more complex than most people realize. Lots of things can go wrong before a player ever makes it to school. Even after he's here there are lots of people (agents, advisors, OHL reps etc.) whispering in his ear about how they can help him to "realize the dream" of getting to the NHL
    I knew not all of them were legit player decommits, but admittedly did not have info on three of the players (Berkle, Juell, McLaughlin). Thanks for that. Shame that Berkle didn't have the grades, as he seems to be doing well at BG.

Regardless of the quality of players/situations for decommitting, however, the others decommitted no matter how you describe the situation. That makes... 9?

Although, I am completely on board with you regarding some of these decommits being more beneficial than not.
    On Jamie Oleksiak:

Originally posted by Hokydad
    If he comes next year he will be eaten alive. Zero chance of success in Hockey East next year

Comment

Every school has decommits and kids who drop out for unforseen reasons. We simply have much better information sources than we used to as well as the internet to promulgate that information.

What drives me crazy is when some kid commits to Mercyhurst or Ferris state and his junior team's PR people (or USHR) state that the boy chose the school over Harvard or Cornell or that the Ivies were "in the hunt". BTW frequently there is a large helping of hyperbole (BS) involved in those announcements as the kid may have chatted for 30 seconds with a Harvard coach in the men's room, while both were answering nature's call.

Comment

These were not all decommits I thought you might like to have some of the facts.

The Gaudreaus - You all know the story. If JG turns pro, it will be interesting to see how BC handles little bro - who isn't 20% of the player his brother is.

Berkle - didn't come through with the grades. Doing well at Bowling Green

Juell - Foreign player with eligibility problems. Never got close to campus. Got traded to Cedar Rapids. Not playing in NCAA

McLauglin - we dropped him. A Cronin recruit (as opposed to Albie or Seb.) Claim to fame is slick goal. Justo committed to PC

McKee - Not nearly as good as he thought he was. Decommed when we deferred him for a year. WMU took him and deferred him for another year. Say something about his head being nearly as big as the rest of him.

Kovacs - Cro recruit playing 4th line at WMU. Decided to stay closer to home when Cronin resigned.

Haar - All rookie at WMU. Might have gone to BC if they hadn't had JGaudreau in their sights (while still under an NLI to NU)

Ryan Renz - Sebastien saw him on the best night of his career. Father decomitted the kid when we wanted to defer him. 2 1/2 years later, he is still available and has done little to distinguish himself in the excellent Vernon program. His Dad should be on our Hockey Christmas list.

The recruiting process is much more complex than most people realize. Lots of things can go wrong before a player ever makes it to school. Even after he's here there are lots of people (agents, advisors, OHL reps etc.) whispering in his ear about how they can help him to "realize the dream" of getting to the NHL

This is a great post. Maybe can bring some people off the cliff. Wasnt there another kid named MacMillan who is doing nothing.
        Husky Hockey heading to the top of the bottom!

Comment

I have been following the decommits from last season. Obviously Gaudreau, Haar has been good, but Kovacs is hardly playing at all.
          Husky Hockey heading to the top of the bottom!

Comment

Every school has decommits and kids who drop out for unforseen reasons. We simply have much better information sources than we used to as well as the internet to promulgate that information.

What drives me crazy is when some kid commits to Mercyhurst or Ferris state and his junior team's PR people (or USHR) state that the boy chose the school over Harvard or Cornell or that the Ivies were "in the hunt". BTW frequently there is a large helping of hyperbole (BS) involved in those announcements as the kid may have chatted for 30 seconds with a Harvard coach in the men's room, while both were answering nature's call.
            Then it should really borther you when one of your programs "top" recruits has the biggest PR machine of all. Draft hype and all. He hasnt done it in the ushl, didnt get it done at the prep school level either. Yet no one has mentioned the hometown connection to one of your asst coaches and the player. Won't get better recruiting on baseless promotion.

BTW
            I know of players who had options, legit ones outside of Atlantic league in ECAC and HE and chose what you consider the lesser option. Maybe an offer to come right in vs year(s)of juniors , maybe the offer to be top 6 f or top 4d vs one of the 9 or 10 dman on say pc or lowells rosters. Maybe a financial decison. But you know they really never had the options or the visits to these schools since they would have never chose a Mercyhurst over St. Lawrence etc etc.
            Must be nice to know those things about all the players.

Comment

Is there anyway we can prevent BU and BC fans from ****ing on our "blog" I don't post on their blogs. Why are they so obsessed with us?

Its likely because 2 of BC's most recent losses are against us and BU feels there once academic superiority slipping away. Next US News we move ahead of them for sure. Its already way harder to get in. However I regress this forum should be about hockey and to that extent is there a way we can prevent them based on user name? We need 4 points this weekend, no if and's or but's.

Comment

It seems Saturday night's game is also on WBIN too,I love GoNUxstream,but it's nice to have the option-GO HUSKIES!

Comment

• First 'W' after a hiatus.. more importantly.. first road 'W'.. nice going team.
                  Baby steps..
                  GO NU HOCKEY
                  Always bullish on the future.
                  We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

• Nice shutout for Rawlings tonight. He looked very sharp and on top of his game. Now if he could play like this on a consistent basis, that would be nice. On the other hand, the offense continues to sputter even though the talent is there to put more pucks in the net. At least this win should be a confidence booster for the guys.
                    "We just didn't get the lucky bounces..."

Comment

Goodnight Irene we needed 4 pts this weekend and only got 2. The, the, the, that's all folks.

#1 I paid the $ ten bucks for the game on Friday away at Amherst on CBS Sports and there is no way we should have won. CR stood on his head and we got 2 pts that we really did not deserve.

#2 I was at the game Sat. night and the play, CR's performance and outcome were more in line with what we should expect from this team.

#3 Let the losses pile on because every loss is a nail in Madigan's coffin. He has to go, and soon. He is a nice guy but let’s face it we won’t be winning any Beanpots, HE championships or even an occasional NCAA berth under his tenure and that's the bottom line. If any of you think any differently, your either delusional, a hapless optimist or you really don’t know this game. Tonight’s display was absolutely horrific and appalling some of the worst hockey I have ever seen at NU in 30 years. If the team is playing well, then the goaltending is suspect, if the goal tending is stellar, the D is insufficient. It's like showing up to bake cookies every night with one ingredient missing. You can still bake them and they will look like cookies but they will taste like S+H+I+T. That’s the best analogy I can come up with. Clearly, JM is so fing stupid he thinks that if they compete harder they will win. Like this is a RUDY movie or Miracle on Ice. It’s a miracle that we actually beat BC when they were still just awaking from the hibernation of a long Summer nap. That’s the only miracle I have seen this year.

There are so many things wrong with this team that it doesn’t pay to fix them or even talk about fixing them. This team does not need a renovation it needs radical reconstruction. In Wellesley, where I live we call it a down. Tear it down and build an entire new house, as any more attempts at half-a-s-s fixes would be akin to paving the goat paths. UMASS is not even a good team.

However, if we could perhaps find away to keep Roy and build a entire new house around him, that would be my plan.

BTW, I would let Manno go tonight because he absolutely sucks! Also, on the sucks list is Vermeerch. HE BLOWS!, if the object in college hockey was to have a great freshman campaign and get incrementally worse each season he would win a freaking Hobey Baker.

Sadly, I predict Roy leaves after this year , because one thing is certain, while he is clearly a great player with lots of potential not an ounce of that God given ability will be molded any further by playing for this team under it’s current administration.

To this extent, I am so sure we are in the basement with Maine this year that I have decided to give my four center ice premium seats and parking to the GBYHL. I have kept only the remaining BU,BC games.

Totally discussed…Talk to you all in October 2013.
                      Last edited by RossiRules; 12-01-2012, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rossirules View Post
                        is there anyway we can prevent bu and bc fans from ****ing on our "blog" i don't post on their blogs. Why are they so obsessed with us?

Its likely because 2 of bc's most recent losses are against us and bu feels there once academic superiority slipping away. Next us news we move ahead of them for sure. Its already way harder to get in. However i regress this forum should be about hockey and to that extent is there a way we can prevent them based on user name? We need 4 points this weekend, no if and's or but's.
                        lol.

Comment

Can someone please tell me how #79 gets soo much ice time???? Lead/Cement Boots a -3 yet he gets on the ice time and time again. There is definitely something wrong out there. Who exactly is running this show? They should just run with the younger guys and build the future. At this rate, I fully agree with Rossi, no way Roy comes back.

Comment

Originally posted by RossiRules View Post
                            Is there anyway we can prevent BU and BC fans from ****ing on our "blog" I don't post on their blogs. Why are they so obsessed with us?....
                            this forum should be about hockey and to that extent is there a way we can prevent them based on user name?....
                            C'mon man! The program we both have followed for years and that we both love to our very bone marrow is disintegrating right before our eyes and this is what irritates you? First of all, this isn't a blog, it's a message board and none of the threads are the private preserve of any one group or fan base, nor should they be. Seeing ourselves as others see us is not always a bad thing. Besides, the banter has sometimes provided the only hockey-related laughs I've been able to have so far in this most dismal of dismal seasons.

You want something to complain about? Start with Peter Roby!
                            Last edited by Split-N; 12-01-2012, 10:02 PM.
                            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Many good points on all,but we can't give up the ship,whether we care to admit it or not,being an underdog is life for a Huskies fan,and one day they will win a beanpot/HE Championship maybe national too,and while some are jumping off the bus I cant afford to take my family to Matthews,so if someone has given up and wants to support me leading my family to Matthews with tickets,I would be thankful,don't lose heart,it's all you have-Go Huskies!!

Comment

I disagree with Rossi on a few of his points, mostly though on this team being the worst one in the last 30 years. The first year Cronin and Crowder teams were much, much worse.

The basic issue with this team is that they are lost in their own zone. They have one puck moving defensmen, and he was in the stands again tonight. The big part with this team is not the goalie, because he was good tonight, its the defense is awful. They are basically playing with dmen 5-11 out there every night. There is no true #1. No true #2. No true #3. No true #4. Drew Daniels would be an upgrade over the guys we played tonight. Eibler would he all Hockey East.

They cannot clear the puck, then the forwards go into their me against the world shtick. Which actually worked with Vroylk's goal tonight.

I also disagree, I thought the Vroylk-#9-Manno/Morra line was actually our best out there. The only one that looked like they had an idea. Vinny and Roy click, but nobody else done. McMurty is awful and we are really seeing what losing Darcy means, more of McMurty.

They fix this team by adding two more dmen to the two they have coming in next year (not from the same league that brought us DD and Fennell), hope that Gunn can play, and then hope that Sauce can get better.

I will go to all the games I can the rest of the way. I think they have maybe 3-5 wins left in them. Rawlings can steal a game or two still. Those wins will feel pretty nice. That is about it.

Actually, watching the good teams come to Matthews and skate circles around us will be kinda fun in a weird way. I love the game of hockey and watching talent. I like watching talent play well and be able to show its stuff. We will be seeing alot of that the rest of the way.

JM will come back for one more year too. He may need to toss an assistant to the curb though.
                                DogHouse Graduate 2001

Comment

Working...
                                X