Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Team needs to be lead.. someone who can inspire.. inspire kids to play.. inspire them to stay. Sincerely hope JM is the right person.. if so, step up to the plate.. if not, get out of the way..

Of course i support him (perhaps more so in the ADs office).. but I do miss Sebastian Laplante.. especially during rough patches like these.. these guys are smart, hopefully we sort things out.
    GO NU HOCKEY
    Always bullish on the future.
    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

• Re: Northeastern 2012-2013 Season Thread: A New Hope

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
      .. and a goalie..
      Gillies played well, but he had a lot of luck. We hit three pipes in the second period (when we are not allowed to score) and missed at least two wide open back door opportunities.

First period was pretty even. PC's goal came because of a fluke bounce off the backboard and back over Rawling's shoulder into the crease. Cornell's gaffe that set up PC's first goal in the second period set the tone for the rest of the game. Manson didn't play so Cornell got another opportunity. The coaches have to make him into a forward so that he can have his brain cramps further from our net!

Comment

Ouch!

That was a sad and pathetic performance and from a fans perspective it was absolutely painful.

Well, truth be told the first goal was a bit lucky, and the 1st period was actually closer then it might appear on paper after that it was just an old time blow out, with the early 2nd period goals the fault of both the D and the G. All and all not very competitive and really kind of marker as to the fact that we are a likely bottom feeder yet again, I can live with that, if the games are competitive, I didn’t think last nights game was competitive.

However, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Ok, not true, but I did get a great veal marsala up on Federal Hill after the game.

Too many problems to fix, granted PC is pretty good this year and there is no doubt that the sudden disappearance of Cam was exposed in line up, even though the kid only had 2 pts he moved the puck in the offensive zone quite nicely and I wish him well and much success in his future endeavors.

We can only hope for a win up at UVM tonight in a tough Gunderson field house and salvage a 2 pt weekend. Although, after last nights game and pelting of slurs at me and my pals by the obnoxious PC fans I am really kind of sick.

My concern is that the chemistry is a askew and I don’t mean Cam Askew also of South Boston, who knows if he has any desire left to play for us.

I think we are in big trouble, not the team but the program. I am not going to bash DM or the administration as it’s still a bit too early, but so far now 1.3 years into this current experiment we are really no closer to winning a Beanpot than were with Crowder and this team seems perhaps worse than last years.

Not really sure what’s wrong, but man, we just can’t score, even when the net is wide open. Next realistic win on the schedule might be Bentley. I did get great tix for the Harvard game. LOL, like that’s a difficult thing to do. When I called the ticket office and told them I wanted 10 tix, (taking my Pee Wee AAA team) the voice said, Really? That’s sums it up for me when I look at the product NU has on the ice. Really?
        Last edited by RossiRules; 11-17-2012, 07:30 AM.

Comment

You're playing uvm tomorrow at gutterson not gunderson

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            You're playing uvm tomorrow at gutterson not gunderson
            Please excuse RR. We're all dazed and confused right now. Don't even think of asking us to spel Mazzakhu....whatever the name of that state is!
            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Time to see how this team reacts after a loss like that. The atitude of a team after an epic *** kicking will tell you how effective the coaching is. I didn't see the PC game, but Rawlings got pulled again. I know he holds the shutout record but no way is he one of the best goalies to play here. I hate to say it but Cronin always focused on team identity and this team has none. One thing I do miss is NU's toughness. I have seen this team play 4 times this year, they are scared to hit people. A few players can scrap but as a team rather timid bunch. Don't get me wrong I want this team to win as bad as everybody else, but we need to play with balls.
              These are good times to be a Husky Dawg!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ryecheers View Post
                Rossi:
                Your posts are a real hoot! Do you really think that the U. would mention academic problems if it wasn't true??? By leaving before his grades came out, Darcy's academic record is kept spotless. So it cost him a year of eligibility at the college level. He has a chance to start over again at another school (preferably in the midwest, where he said he was most comfortable).

Cam was not happy with his lack of productivity. He got to center Roy and Karlsson for four games. That's when he picked up his 2 assists vs BC in game two. He hadn't made the scoresheet for the past 7 games. He managed 6 SOG in his 9 games despite playing on a top line and PP for much of his time here. Last weekend he centered the 4th line. He was disappointed with his inability to contribute more at this level - forgetting that few 18 year old freshman set the league on fire during the early part of their first season. Add to that, his academic challenges and NU just didn't feel like a good place for him to be.

The parting was pleasant, even cordial. Both the boy and his dad called Madigan to thank him for all he had done for Cam. There is no "non-disclose" agreement as some imbecile suggested and we don't expect any "well-poisoning" by Cam with respect to our other recruits in the USHL. Let's wish him luck. Now let's move on.

You mention Dongara. He was a fan favorite - not a coach favorite.
                While he could bring the fans out of their seats with his speed, the rest of his game was very incomplete. Cronin didn't like his game. Madigan didn't like his game. JM didn't string him along. Perhaps he will fit in better on the wider rink at UMass.

You believe that Reggie Lewis got a pass in school. Did it ever occur to you that, (if you really are Rico Rossi), you probably benefitted from same lowered standards for athletes that, you believe, prevailed at that time?

Tonight and Sunday we have games that are definitely winnable. It was about this time last year that the team came together for a run that saw them win games in which few expected them to be competitive. it is far too early for you, or anyone else, to try to declare the season to be over and that Madigan is unfit to coach.

If you have read any of my posts you know that I am not RR, and have never claimed to be. My pal RR is coaching in the top German league and has been for many years. I use his name because he was the epitome of the perfect college player and in my view, was in some ways, perhaps the best player NU has ever had, giving 100 % in every shift regardless of your talent. Do something positive on every shift, make a move, score, assist, dump, shoot, or deliver a punishing hit, that’s how you succeed in life. My shifts now starts every morning at 6am.

You can learn a lot not playing.

Although, I was a 3 year player, I was not a letterman and never made it to a game in any attire other than a suit and tie. I spent my entire career in the rafters looking down much the same way I do today. However, I played a lot in prep school in Northwestern CT and then for 2 seasons at another small DIV 1 program where I made significant contributions, before some poor life decisions landed me @ NU, which was perhaps the best thing that ever happened to me, so I did not benefit from any preferential treatment.

Although, my affinity to the program and commitment to the university is unwavering as I feel I owe much of my life success both individually and collectively to many of the individuals (professors, administrators, coaches both Coach C and Coach F and the other players) for lessons learned while in attendance and thus I give back handsomely and with pride.

However as the vice - chief justice of the universities Student Court, during my enrollment tenure, I was privy to many of the mental lapses of the general student population including a number of student-athletes, with regard to both integrity and what would today be perceived as a double standard. So I know it existed.

As a top ranked student in the College of Arts and Sciences in my year of graduation I want to make sure some people on here understand one thing, I get lots of negative and under handed comments about the quality of the academics in my time and what you perceive them to be now. Plato’s Republic the concepts it coveys and weather you get it or not, are the same regardless of if you graduated NU in 1912 or 2012.

The stories of the academic inequality are thus greatly over exaggerated. Clearly, the university is academically a light year ahead of where it was when I attended and I must admit that this change benefits me today as much as it does any of you. Yes, the NU, I graduated form in the late 80’s was a fairly easy school to get into, but don’t be mistaken, it was not an easy place to graduate from, by any stretch of your imagination.

The University had a system that worked for nearly 6 decades, to make oodles of money by accepting 5000+ freshman, sadly most of whom were not remotely college material and weed them out over a 4 year period with a 60% attrition rate to end up graduating classes only 2000 or so. So, trust me the 2000 who actually graduated every year were every bit as smart and academically proficient as most any of the co-op students I see that we have working at our firm today. We have 10 of them right now in our office and I interviewed every one of them.

As far as Cams decisions I was only speculating and of course, think we would have been better with the kid then w/o him but if other hockey opportunities present a better future or fit for an individual then by all means , they should pursue those options. My worry is about the program collectivly and not the individuals. I don't want to die without seeing a National Championship game in which the real Huskies of Huntington Ave are not represented, they don't even have to win.

My post was geared at the fact that I think anyone who is playing sports at NU today has to do the work and must be qualified academically in general and you simply cant get in or by based on a hockey only resume. I may be incorrect. The timing of his departure is suspect to a grades release, is it not? Just saying.

There is some odd feeling that the comments left on this thing should have some biblical significance. This is a sounding board that has root in only one thing, your opinion, which perhaps the last thing that we should cherish as we are not yet taxed by our government for revealing our thoughts.

I reveal my thoughts, I just love the game, NU and have a distain for BC and BU, that runs so deep that I wish them to fail so miserably it is almost an obsession. Seems healthy to me.
                Last edited by RossiRules; 11-18-2012, 05:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RossiRules View Post

and have a distain for BC and BU, that runs so deep that I wish them to fail so miserably it is almost an obsession. Seems healthy to me.
                  it's "disdain" but whatever ...........and it probably isn't healthy

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                    My 2 older brothers are NU grads, but when they start on me and BC. I quietly beam with pride when you look at the final results, and the little discussion ends quickly

Anyway, NU needs a coach like Cronin to recruit and upgrade the program. I thought they were on their way in the right direction until he left and NU was regressing again on the ice and the recruiting area. Players decommitting or leaving early. Losing JG or Haar is symbolic of their plight and getting a head case like Cody sums it up. JM has not really impressed me so far but time will tell if NU makes any progress towards respectability again. It's fustrating for their alums and fans just like GDF screwed us when he hired Spaz and got rid of other varsity coaches in other sports.

You cannot underestimate what a coach like York is when he returned to BC after years of fustration in the hockey program when BU was the king of the block. Harvard had their time for awhile but when Cleary left it has not been the same for them. The 2 things BC and BU have is the stability behind the bench to keep the program at top level.

Now York is on the brink of reaching a great milestone and when he retires, Bates needs to get the right guy in there else we could relive a Cedorchuk disaster. Hopefully, that won't happen.
                    Last edited by BCeagle; 11-18-2012, 09:10 AM.
                    NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                      Ya, rooting for BC to fail miserably is probably a waste of time...just sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by BCeagle View Post
                        Losing JG or Haar is symbolic of their plight and getting a head case like Cody sums it up.
                        I agree with most of what you wrote, but Cody was a Cronin get. JM has recruited some talent, and has some more coming in next year. The problem appears to be that he is incapable of coaching that talent remotely close to as well as Cronin could.
                        2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                        2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by RossiRules View Post
                          I am not RR, and have never claimed to be. My pal RR is coaching in the top German league and has been for many years. I use his name because he was the epitome of the perfect college player

Dude, that is so ****ing weird ... do you also wear his old jerseys when you hang out with him?
                          On Jamie Oleksiak:

Originally posted by Hokydad
                          If he comes next year he will be eaten alive. Zero chance of success in Hockey East next year

Comment

Originally posted by steve66 View Post
                            All I am saying is that, whoever this scout was has his opinion and also has his own agenda. Madigan has been the coach for 1 year, I expect in 20 years to still see him behind the bench, and saying that he has been the most stabilizing and consistent coach in school history. You need to have talent in order to develop talent.
                            Your dreaming. The man took over a team with talent, that the previous year had won a playoff series on the road at bu, and went to the Garden and put up a good fight. Its not like he took over a last place team. The cupboard was not bare when he took over. Was it a perfect team? No. But it was a team that should have been in the fight for the 4th home ice spot, not battling to make the playoffs.

He seems to be coaching them into the grave again this year. At least last year this team owned almost every game at even strength. The stats backed it up. It was the special teams that killed them. This year, the special teams are still horrible, and now they get killed at even strength. Yes, some of that has to due with a defense that has maybe 2.5 guys back there that can play at this level, but the forwards have totally fallen off. We should be able to roll three pretty aggressive lines out there, but not so much anymore.

JM is going to need to walk away when this season is over. Roby picked the wrong former player to run the team, Sebastian was the guy. I am guessing Roby did not feel comfortable giving him the job knowing he was going to suspend him the first few games of the year and maybe felt he was going to have issues with him the way he did Cronin.

Lets look at it another way, its been a year and a few months. Is there any player on this team better now then when JM first took over? Who has shown improvement? Oskroba and Manson would be about it. Everyone else is about the same.
                            DogHouse Graduate 2001

Comment

It's too early to call for Madigan's dismissal but there needs to be a marked improvement from this stretch dating back to early 2012. This team has too much talent to be scoring at this rate. On the bright side, Kevin Roy is filthy. Man, he could've had 4 goals this weekend. As it was, his second goal vs. UVM was a laser wrist shot. Kid's top 5 in Hockey East in scoring, you can't ask more than that.

I think NU's biggest issue is one, enough rotating goalies, pick one for the long haul (Mountain) and enough rotating line combos, pick one for the long haul so we can get some **** chemistry.
                              Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                              Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
                                It's too early to call for Madigan's dismissal but there needs to be a marked improvement from this stretch dating back to early 2012. This team has too much talent to be scoring at this rate. On the bright side, Kevin Roy is filthy. Man, he could've had 4 goals this weekend. As it was, his second goal vs. UVM was a laser wrist shot. Kid's top 5 in Hockey East in scoring, you can't ask more than that.
                                Hopefully he doesn't bail.
                                Bruce Crowder-Assistant Coach

Bruce Crowder comes from his post at Northeastern University, where he has served the past nine seasons as the head coach and revitalized the Northeastern program.

Comment

Working...
                                X