2015-2016 Division I Commitments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015-2016 Division I Commitments

Maybe its time to start the 2015-2016 thread....

Northeastern
    Maddie Hartman..........D..............(CYA)............. ........Deer Park, Illinois

Ohio State
    Mikalea Gardner...........D..............(Chicago Fury).........Plainfield, Illinois

Yale
    Emma Vlasic..............F................(CYA)........ ............Wilmette, Illinois
    Last edited by 96IllinoisDad; 11-28-2012, 12:47 PM. Reason: hometowns

Re: 2015-2016 Division I Commitments

Originally posted by 96IllinoisDad View Post
    I'm sworn to silence...
    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Wisconsin

Audrey Warner..........F.........(Ohio Flames).........Cleveland, OH

Comment

Originally posted by 96IllinoisDad View Post
        These are Grade 10 kids already committing ?. Just Saying !!

Comment

Wow. This thread does seem Premature. First kudos to the girls that have worked their tails off and positioned themselves to be top recruits. However, the trend of earlier and earlier commits just does not seem healthy for womens hockey nor the athletes. Having been through this three times, our girls would have made significantly different choices at the age of 15-16 then they ultimately made at the age of 17. It's a rare player at 15 that is prepared to make this type of commitment based on facts and assessment and it would have been an emotional decision (local team, favorite team...... The up-side is if they are good enough to get offers at 15-16 then they will likely get many offers and they will have time to sort through their options. Having those options and taking time to evaluate opens up a whole world of opportunities they have never been exposed to and they may even have some inkling by 17 on what their career path might be which is a huge factor in choosing a school. They only get to do this once. Whats happening in D-I football, is that many of these "early commits" are re-evaluating their options and ending up DE-committing before their senior year. I can't believe this trend would be healthy for the womens' game nor do I believe the coaches would want to take an inordinate amount of risk. I would also speculate that it puts the Ivy's/others at a significant disadvantage as they have the the uncertainty if a player can hit the index. I have heard rumors that the coaches association has had some dialog on this topic but cannot confirm if these are moving toward more formal discussion or not. I do believe it's important for the entire college experience that the player finds the right environment and the coaches get the player/person they thought they were getting. This process takes time and effort and may be short-changed at such a young age. Just some thoughts.

Comment

It seems that some schools are doing this more than others

Comment

Is it even legal to make "official" offers at this age? I suspect that this may be players who are verbally committing with no firm offer from the school. Please let me know if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeydad4two View Post
                Is it even legal to make "official" offers at this age? I suspect that this may be players who are verbally committing with no firm offer from the school. Please let me know if I'm wrong.
                I think it happens fairly regularly in other sports where HS sophomores commit verbally. Age limits the program's ability to pursue a student athlete, but the young student can still initiate the process.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by puckskillz View Post
                  Wow. This thread does seem Premature. First kudos to the girls that have worked their tails off and positioned themselves to be top recruits. However, the trend of earlier and earlier commits just does not seem healthy for womens hockey nor the athletes. Having been through this three times, our girls would have made significantly different choices at the age of 15-16 then they ultimately made at the age of 17. It's a rare player at 15 that is prepared to make this type of commitment based on facts and assessment and it would have been an emotional decision (local team, favorite team...... The up-side is if they are good enough to get offers at 15-16 then they will likely get many offers and they will have time to sort through their options. Having those options and taking time to evaluate opens up a whole world of opportunities they have never been exposed to and they may even have some inkling by 17 on what their career path might be which is a huge factor in choosing a school. They only get to do this once. Whats happening in D-I football, is that many of these "early commits" are re-evaluating their options and ending up DE-committing before their senior year. I can't believe this trend would be healthy for the womens' game nor do I believe the coaches would want to take an inordinate amount of risk. I would also speculate that it puts the Ivy's/others at a significant disadvantage as they have the the uncertainty if a player can hit the index. I have heard rumors that the coaches association has had some dialog on this topic but cannot confirm if these are moving toward more formal discussion or not. I do believe it's important for the entire college experience that the player finds the right environment and the coaches get the player/person they thought they were getting. This process takes time and effort and may be short-changed at such a young age. Just some thoughts.
                  TOTALLY AGREE. I would urge the NCAA TO change the rules and not allow early verbal commits until 17!

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeysbest View Post
                    I would urge the NCAA TO change the rules and not allow early verbal commits until 17!
                    How would you enforce that? Student athletes are not allowed to say, "I plan to attend school X?" Sounds like a violation of the First Amendment. So what you really want, is that programs aren't allowed to talk to student athletes until they are 17, which pushes the entire process to very late in the game for some students who would like to plan their future. I fail to see how your suggestion benefits the kids, so I disagree with it.

Comment

I don't quite buy it's a bad move or inherently bad idea where all players are concerned. I'm for restrictions on the coaching staffs per age of contact. Wouldn't be in favor of the NCAA imposing on a student athletes free will. Every early commit doesn't end in catastrophe or changes of heart. The NCAA controlling when a player can offer a verbal? I hope not.
                      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

So basically, if I'm interpreting correctly, is that these kids are saying "I'm going to go to school XYZ and play hockey" and the coach probably hasn't even talked to them. Is that correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeydad4two View Post
                          So basically, if I'm interpreting correctly, is that these kids are saying "I'm going to go to school XYZ and play hockey" and the coach probably hasn't even talked to them. Is that correct?
                          No. The player or parent calls up the coach and says my daughter is really good blah blah blah. The coach takes a look at her. The player/ parent have to call the coach back (coach can't call or email them until they are a senior) to see what the coach thinks. If the coach likes her enough he will make a verbal offer. Then the mom, dad or player gets on here and blabs it to the world.

OR

The player is at a camp, most likely a USA Hockey Dev. Camp, and the coach approaches the player. Very much in violation of NCAA rules but happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
                            The player/ parent have to call the coach back (coach can't call or email them until they are a senior) to see what the coach thinks.
                            I think this rule was relaxed a bit a few years ago to allow minimal outreach by the program sooner. It used to be that the magic date was July 1 before the student's senior season, and even then some mass mailings were allowed to younger prospects. I don't recall the specifics of the changes, but it did move the process slightly toward recruiting younger students.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                              I think this rule was relaxed a bit a few years ago to allow minimal outreach by the program sooner. It used to be that the magic date was July 1 before the student's senior season, and even then some mass mailings were allowed to younger prospects. I don't recall the specifics of the changes, but it did move the process slightly toward recruiting younger students.
                              Current official rules:
                              - Coach can initiate mail/e-mail contact at start of Junior year (September X)
                              - Coach can initiate phone contact early July before Senior year - date moves a little it seems
                              - Player can initiate contact almost any time but coach can't e-mail or call back before the above dates

Players who are clearly college level typically do unofficial visits in their junior year and/or summer before senior year (true at both Division 1 and Division 3 schools) and then official visit(s) in Fall of senior year.

Comment

Working...
                              X