Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ferris State Hockey, 2012-2013: Okay, how are we going to top THAT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferris State Hockey, 2012-2013: Okay, how are we going to top THAT?

Hi.

It's that time again.

For once, I don't know how to start this season's thread. Usually it's Angry Hammer ranting about no goal scoring, no attendance, and lots and lots of penalty minutes, followed by some aspect of special teams going straight to hell in a rocket sled. Uh-uh. Not this year. A Frozen Four kinda takes that out of you.

Last year was beyond any of our wildest dreams. I didn't think 2002-2003 could be topped, and yet somehow we managed to do just that. The question is, now what?

For the first time in forever, I think we have enough goal scoring. Sure, we lost Jordie Johnston and a few others, but Kirzinger, Ouellette and Bonis all return and I think we can put enough pucks in the net to keep us in plenty of games. For once, I'm not overly concerned about that facet of the game.

On the other hand, we've lost a hell of a lot on the blueline the past two years. Two years ago it was Redmond and Wietecha to graduation, this year it was Billins, Wysopal, Hill, Schmit, Trebish, and Graham played a bit of defense as well. It's going to take more than one year to replenish that depth and talent.

I believe we're going to be fine in net as well. CJ Motte should step in nicely, much like Nelson did upon Nagle's graduation. I don't know if we can expect the same performance, but I don't think he's going to hurt us any. There have been two positions that the coaching staff has done a very good job of keeping us in fresh supply of: defensemen and goaltenders. I have confidence that the coaching staff will continue to do so, even if it takes more than one season.

As for any predictions....not me. I'm out of that business. And for once, I'm not overly concerned about this team's record this season. I'm good for a while.

Let the season begin.
    Last edited by Hammer; 09-23-2012, 08:49 PM.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Re: Ferris State Hockey, 2012-2013: Okay, how are we going to top THAT?

I started watching Ferris hockey games in 1976 and I am still in shock over last season. Even without having a dominating player like they did in 2003, they came together and played at an amazingly high level. I still don’t know how they accomplished what they did, but it was the ride of a life.

I’m looking for Cory Cane to have a big year for the Bulldogs this year. He needs to further develop his game, (More speed with the puck in neutral ice), but I do think he is set for a break out year.

LETS GO DOGS!

Comment

Good luck. Heck of a season last year ...and a great job in the title game. Now the key is to build on last year (hopefully get a recruiting boost), make it a culture of winning hockey, and sustaining that culture. Not easy but having a season like last season certainly helps!
      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
        Hi.The question is, now what?
        Win the whole **** thing.
        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

I've spent the last six years occupying various spots in the Dawg Pound yelling on the Bulldogs. This year, I am in the world of college graduates, and unfortunately, far, far away from going to any sort of Ferris games. This is a weird thing, and I'm not sure I'll realize how much I'll miss it until the season gets in swing. It makes me sad, but I'm also very excited to see a lot of the foundation that was shown last year hopefully put together another very strong season.

I also hope that the success carries over with support from both the community and the students. I also hope the University doesn't try to completely limit what the students can do and kill that support. We'll see.

Either way, go Dawgs!

Comment

I know those feels. Good luck this season.
            RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by I Want Shegos View Post
              I've spent the last six years occupying various spots in the Dawg Pound yelling on the Bulldogs. This year, I am in the world of college graduates, and unfortunately, far, far away from going to any sort of Ferris games. This is a weird thing, and I'm not sure I'll realize how much I'll miss it until the season gets in swing. It makes me sad, but I'm also very excited to see a lot of the foundation that was shown last year hopefully put together another very strong season.

I also hope that the success carries over with support from both the community and the students. I also hope the University doesn't try to completely limit what the students can do and kill that support. We'll see.

Either way, go Dawgs!
              Gradumatation sucks for sports bums like us IWS.

And since it is this weekend...... An Oldie but a goodie!

bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Either way, go Dawgs!
                That's one thing I'm not looking forward to about graduation, being far away from Engineer hockey. Hey, if you're in New York Ferris is playing RPI next weekend!

Comment

Unfortunately, I live in Montana now, I'm far away from humanity in general lol.

Comment

Jeebus. What did you do that for?

God, that was fun...

Comment

Unfortunately, I live in Montana now, I'm far away from humanity in general lol.
                      Wow! Actually, RPI has an excellent student-run production team, RPITV, that will be streaming games (I think in HD) for free this year. Their site is rpitv.org , and they should have a game-specific link as it draws closer.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                        Jeebus. What did you do that for?
                        Cows??

Still not happy about last night. Its been bound to happened sooner or later, but uggg.... to have Ferris beat us like that??
                        bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Hey Ferris fans, I'm playing RPI's Click to Pick (it's on this board and you can play even if you aren't a RPI supporter.)

Here's my question, my Ferris choices are Bonis and Czarnowzzzz. What do you think?
                          GO DU !!!

Comment

Czarnowczan's a good defenseman, and Bonis is not a bad choice for a scorer, although I would have leaned to Kirzinger and Ouellette this early on. You still did fine.

God, that was fun...

Comment

A season like the one the Bulldogs had last year comes around only once every 10 years or so. I have been a fan of Bulldog hockey since I went to school there back about 20 years ago. I have really enjoyed watching the team play thats for sure. The bummer is that the good teams like last season are few and far between for the Bulldogs. Will they win a national championship? I certainly hope so, but I am tempering my expectations. It may not come this year, but I hope it will happen at least once in my lifetime. In order for that to happen, certain things have to change at the university level. The university has to be willing to pump some serious money into the hockey program. So far, that hasn't happened. I could go on and on here, but I hope that Ferris will look at the good year last year and capitalize on it this year. I am just not betting on it.
                              Nightfall
                              Christopher Brian Dudek
                              USCHO Photographer/Reporter 1998-2005
                              http://www.nightfall.net

Comment

Working...
                              X