X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: B1G Hockey: The Countdown Begins

Originally posted by Back2BackU-MnPride2002 View Post
    4four4 --

Yes, it will probably greatly help the Big Ten.

But how does adding another team to the college hockey landscape, PSU, not help college hockey?!

How does dividing up the RICHES that were the WCHA and spreading that talent out into 3 different conferences, not help college hockey?!

The new version of the WCHA still has decent teams left in it, and they will probably thrive even more now without always being beaten down regularly by the likes of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Denver, CC, North Dakota and even SCSU and UMD. And it gets some teams from the CCHA that could thrive in that conf more than they could in the CCHA as well, not to forget Alabama-Huntsville.

The NCHC is chock full of great teams, and I'm interested, very interested to see how teams like Miami and W Mich, who are coming in from what I've always believed to be one of the weaker conferences, the CCHA, will do when they have to play basically vs former WCHA teams week in and week out.

The Big Ten will have the same dynamic, Michigan, MSU and OSU will be able to go up against 2 of the better teams in the WCHA and we'll get to see who ends up at the top on a regular basis. I believe that Minnesota and Wisconsin will regularly finish among the Top 3 teams in the conf. But I guess we'll just have to see over time what happens? But Penn St has already shown that they are going to hit the ice running come next season. They already have at least one surprising win over Wisconsin this season.

And now that there is a Big Ten Conf, with Big Ten Conf games naturally being on the Big Ten Network, other Big Ten teams like Illinois and Nebraska will be more motivated to get a team started up. The incentive wasn't there before.

If the creation of the Big Ten Hockey Conf helps to facilitate the addition of 2-4 more teams onto the college hockey scene, how is that not good for college hockey as a whole?!
    I should have been more clear. The expansion doesn't help the current Big Ten hockey schools because currently Maryland and Rutgers don't have varsity programs.
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

With the history of Michigan's solar car, I think she will run across more than just one.

bluevox -- I hope you are right. I just posted that basically because I get a ton of crap from cfb and cbb fans for even liking and following college hockey. I dare never mention that I follow something like Solar Rayce Car Raycing for its just not very highly regarded among the majority of Neanderthals who call themselves college sports fans out there. I should know that Universites exist for the sole purpose of providing me with an entertaining football game to watch.

Comment

B1G Tournament info has been released:

SAINT PAUL, Minn.; March 19, 2013 – Xcel Energy Center and the Big Ten announced Tuesday that All-Session Ticket Package Reservations for the inaugural 2014 Big Ten Men's Ice Hockey Tournament, to be held Thursday – Saturday, March 20 – 22, 2014, will go on sale at 11 a.m. ET on Monday, March 25.

The tournament will feature all six teams – Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State, Penn State and Wisconsin – in a single-elimination format. The tournament will consist of five games (two games on Thursday, March 20; two games on Friday, March 21; championship game on Saturday, March 22). All-Session Ticket Packages include one ticket to each of the five games of the tournament.

Thursday’s quarterfinals will feature the No. 3 seed facing the No. 6 seed and the No. 4 seed battling the No. 5 seed. The top two seeds will open tournament play in the Friday semifinals, with the No. 1 seed against either the No. 4 or 5 seed and the No. 2 seed facing the No. 3 or 6 seed. The championship game will be played on Saturday.

Prices for All-Session Ticket Packages are:

$130 per package - Lower Level

$80 per package - Upper Level

$160 per package - RBC Wealth Management Club Level
        Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by bluevox View Post
          Are you talking about right now, as in football is not being played RIGHT NOW, so the NHL is behind NBA, college basketball and NASCAR? If you are going to say NHL, I would say that it is behind NFL, college footbal, NBA, college basketball, MLB and then we start talking NHL.

If you are going to say hockey, then I would rank them football, basketball, baseball and hockey is right there with soccer, car racing, golf etc.

Remember, this is coming from a hockey fan, for whom hockey is the number one sport, but if you are talking the entire USA, hockey is not even an automatic fourth place.
          Perhaps your right.

But in terms of the Big Ten's offering, you've got football and you've got basketball. What is the next product with the best opportunity for TV growth beyond those two...esp during the cold winter, higher viewer months? Its got to be hockey.
          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
            Looking forward to the Final Fiv...errr...B1G tourney.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

When do you suppose they'll hold the competition committee meetings to determine the league rules that I'm sure will annoy the living **** out of me?
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Decided today I'm making the trek to Saint Paul.

Even though I will forever hate the building for what happened in 2011, I don't wanna miss the first B1G Tournament.

I hate the format it's going to be. Neutral sites blow. ESPECIALLY in college hockey. The regular season champion should be rewarded with being the host of the Final 4 of the playoff. Top 2 seeds get byes into the Final 4, and the other 4 teams in the league play best-of-3 series where higher seed hosts.

NCAA needs to wake up and smell the coffe. And in the NCAA Tournament, regionals should be hosted by the 1 seed in that region.

The only thing that sucks is Yost is banned from hosting regionals. That's why Michigan is "hosting" the West regional in Grand Rapids. At least the block M will be on the ice.
                ---
                National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                19 Conference Championships
                10 Conference Tournament Championships
                2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                  Looks like they plan on having split sessions which i can not stand

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                    When do you suppose they'll hold the competition committee meetings to determine the league rules that I'm sure will annoy the living **** out of me?
                    Someone please tell me we've seen the end of shootouts in college hockey.
                    Still anticipating the all-CCHA Frozen Four

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
                      See you all there.

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post

Even though I will forever hate the building for what happened in 2011, I don't wanna miss the first B1G Tournament.

I hate the format it's going to be. Neutral sites blow. ESPECIALLY in college hockey. The regular season champion should be rewarded with being the host of the Final 4 of the playoff. Top 2 seeds get byes into the Final 4, and the other 4 teams in the league play best-of-3 series where higher seed hosts.

NCAA needs to wake up and smell the coffe. And in the NCAA Tournament, regionals should be hosted by the 1 seed in that region.

The only thing that sucks is Yost is banned from hosting regionals. That's why Michigan is "hosting" the West regional in Grand Rapids. At least the block M will be on the ice.
                        Glad to see you making plans to attend the tournament.

The only problem with the playoff format you suggest is that the #2 seed gets screwed out of hosting games ($$$) and #3 and #4 get to host 2 or 3 games. Kinda makes you either want #1 or drop to #3. Of course, since the Gophers would always host the F4 I would support it.
                        Bottom Line: If you deserve to win the national championship then don't worry about who you play, when, and where. Just keep winning.
                        Exception: You are right about the refs. They, no doubt, have it in for <insert your team name here>!

Comment

And I thought Jan was a whiny *****....
                          - Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. -

Go Bemidji Beavers
                          Go you Green and White
                          Go Bemidji Beavers
                          Fight with all your might!
                          Rah! Rah! Rah!
                          We are here to cheer you
                          We are out to win your fame,
                          So, Go Bemidji Beavers
                          Fight to win this game.-Fight.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                            Yes, I too am looking forward to the Super Six... er... um... Big Ten Tournament.
                            Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                            66 - 86 - 07
                            59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                            59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

• Originally posted by gopheritall View Post
                              Glad to see you making plans to attend the tournament.

The only problem with the playoff format you suggest is that the #2 seed gets screwed out of hosting games ($$$) and #3 and #4 get to host 2 or 3 games. Kinda makes you either want #1 or drop to #3. Of course, since the Gophers would always host the F4 I would support it.
                              Except the revenue from any conference playoff game goes to the conference, not the host school.

Comment

Not sure that I like the one-and-done format. That could get a little pricey for fans who buy a weekend ticket only to see their team gone after the first day.
                                Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Working...
                                X