Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: B1G Hockey: The Countdown Begins

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
    Looks like six bottle opener/screw drivers on a Swiss Army knife.
    Real hockey players use stick shafts, not bottle openers!
    Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

I think the trophy is fine. There's no sense in trying to recreate a MacNaughton from a different era.

Besides most here won't have to worry about it as they will be spending their time in Minneapolis.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

Who cares really? It's a modern looking trophy that unfortunately reflects the day. It would be hard to create one that resembles anything that's come before it without coming off "copy-cattish" or trite.

Comment

Well, that trophy doesn't completely offend me, at least.
          Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
          66 - 86 - 07
          59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
          59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

It blows, IF michigan state won it (and that is a big IF) I can see the players bringing out imported bottles of beer and trying to open them with the trophy...
            Originally posted by alfablue
            Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
            Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
            I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

IMO the trophy is *cough* just ok. Who designed this piece of ahh...industrial plastic? Most importantly, is it too late to get a refund?

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                Well, that trophy doesn't completely offend me, at least.
                Not like the Paul Bunyan does....get a hernia lifting that one.

Comment

Well Sid Hartman made the comment we will be seeing 4 more schools joining the BiG. The idea is to take power away from the NCAA and maybe leave all together. Word has it the four schools will be in major tv markets.
                  Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                  dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                  wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
                    The future BTHC trophy has been revealed.

*****http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2284707/Big_Ten_Hockey_Trophy_medium.jpg******
                    Ugh.

That's so B1G.
                    ---
                    National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                    Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                    19 Conference Championships
                    10 Conference Tournament Championships
                    2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
                      The future BTHC trophy has been revealed.

*****http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2284707/Big_Ten_Hockey_Trophy_medium.jpg******
                      *****http://images.wikia.com/adventuretimewithfinnandjake/images/c/c5/Kill-it-with-fire.gif******

Seriously, though. Avoid shootouts and all is forgiven.
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                        I think the trophy is fine. There's no sense in trying to recreate a MacNaughton from a different era.

Besides most here won't have to worry about it as they will be spending their time in Minneapolis.
                        Wishful thinking.
                        ---
                        Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                        2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

4four4 --

Are you talking about 4 hockey schools? Because I don't know why they would only add 4 otherwise? Going to 20 seems like the end game for the B1G.

#1 priority being UNC, or maybe Notre Dame? I'd rather us not add ND. But what I want and what the B1G wants won't always be the same thing. I believe they are getting Virginia soon, and if not UNC with them, then Georgia Tech. After that they'll be targeting either UNC or GT again along with FSU I believe. If they get all 4 of those targets, I just can not see how or why they would stop there? It's possible we may have to take Duke to get UNC. And we will if that is the case. And taking Duke won't stop us from going after the other 3, which would put us at 19. Now I suppose I shouldn't assume that we'll get them all, but if they are all willing to come, we'll definitely take them all. And there is no way we'll stop at 19. My guess is getting to 18/19 is to gain a better bargaining position against ND, who probably has offered to come to the B1G in the past, but with their own conditions, and conditions that were not favorable to the B1G. But if we get to 18/19 and help destroy the ACC in the process(because SEC would surely come in and take NCSU and Virginia Tech as well), then Notre Dame is left kind of dangling out there in the wind, along with several other schools, who could all join together I suppose, which might be more to ND's liking anyway? Or the Big 12 may come in and snatch up some of them, although I get the impression the Big 12 doesn't like the idea of expansion as much as the B1G does, partly because our #1 focus is Research money, then market footprint vs money coming directly from athletics like bowl games and such.

But left at 18 or 19, they are going to either add Notre Dame as the final piece, the 20th team along with one other, or they will simply go with 2 other teams like Kansas and Boston College, or I don't know honestly. There are about a half a dozen different schools after those 4/5 ACC schools and Notre Dame, none that are very strong candidates, UConn maybe?

Kansas would give us a nice even east/west split and that could be something the B1G would think was a good idea? Or going with UConn and BC would add 2 schools to our hockey conf, but UConn could be years away from gaining entrance into the AAU, which has so far seemingly been a must to gain entrance into the Conf.

But other than UConn, BC and Notre Dame, none of the other schools have hockey. And those 3 do not seem like favorites to get in?!

So not sure what Sid was talking about will help our hockey situation out or not?

Comment

Originally posted by Back2BackU-MnPride2002 View Post
                            4four4 --

Are you talking about 4 hockey schools? Because I don't know why they would only add 4 otherwise? Going to 20 seems like the end game for the B1G.

#1 priority being UNC, or maybe Notre Dame? I'd rather us not add ND. But what I want and what the B1G wants won't always be the same thing. I believe they are getting Virginia soon, and if not UNC with them, then Georgia Tech. After that they'll be targeting either UNC or GT again along with FSU I believe. If they get all 4 of those targets, I just can not see how or why they would stop there? It's possible we may have to take Duke to get UNC. And we will if that is the case. And taking Duke won't stop us from going after the other 3, which would put us at 19. Now I suppose I shouldn't assume that we'll get them all, but if they are all willing to come, we'll definitely take them all. And there is no way we'll stop at 19. My guess is getting to 18/19 is to gain a better bargaining position against ND, who probably has offered to come to the B1G in the past, but with their own conditions, and conditions that were not favorable to the B1G. But if we get to 18/19 and help destroy the ACC in the process(because SEC would surely come in and take NCSU and Virginia Tech as well), then Notre Dame is left kind of dangling out there in the wind, along with several other schools, who could all join together I suppose, which might be more to ND's liking anyway? Or the Big 12 may come in and snatch up some of them, although I get the impression the Big 12 doesn't like the idea of expansion as much as the B1G does, partly because our #1 focus is Research money, then market footprint vs money coming directly from athletics like bowl games and such.

But left at 18 or 19, they are going to either add Notre Dame as the final piece, the 20th team along with one other, or they will simply go with 2 other teams like Kansas and Boston College, or I don't know honestly. There are about a half a dozen different schools after those 4/5 ACC schools and Notre Dame, none that are very strong candidates, UConn maybe?

Kansas would give us a nice even east/west split and that could be something the B1G would think was a good idea? Or going with UConn and BC would add 2 schools to our hockey conf, but UConn could be years away from gaining entrance into the AAU, which has so far seemingly been a must to gain entrance into the Conf.

But other than UConn, BC and Notre Dame, none of the other schools have hockey. And those 3 do not seem like favorites to get in?!

So not sure what Sid was talking about will help our hockey situation out or not?
                            My response to further B1G expansion: If you don't have hockey, go away.
                            ---
                            2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
                              My response to further B1G expansion: If you don't have hockey, go away.
                              Wholly CRAP I agree with an ugly helmet guy. But, further more end the madness of expansion period.
                              - Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. -

Go Bemidji Beavers
                              Go you Green and White
                              Go Bemidji Beavers
                              Fight with all your might!
                              Rah! Rah! Rah!
                              We are here to cheer you
                              We are out to win your fame,
                              So, Go Bemidji Beavers
                              Fight to win this game.-Fight.

Comment

Wholly CRAP I agree with an ugly helmet guy. But, further more end the madness of expansion period.

Serious? Why? Honestly? Should Universities start letting students come there for free?! Should tickets to game be free?!

I know you don't live in some sort of fantasy world and are just venting about it, right? If you want pure sports for the love of sports, you might need to find some kindergarten playground game to watch. That's how bad its gotten these days.

Do I approve of all the bs going on in sports these days?! ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!! Not even close. But honestly, *****ing and moaning about it just makes us fans look like whiners. And I'm NOT trying to insult anyone. When the Big Ten expanded and added PSU I was livid, and whined quite abit, actually. So I'm not ridiculing you or anyone else, just trying to say that since I've embraced this new trend in college sports, I've enjoyed the whole situation much more. So I'm just trying to give you some friendly advice. *****ing about it may make you feel better in the moment, but it won't get you anywhere in this world. And it **** well won't do one iota towards stopping it from happening.

Money makes the world go round, unfortunately, its just that simple. And the Big Ten needs to position itself so that it can compete with leagues like the SEC who have all the natural advantages that relate to things like location and weather and percentage of population that are raving mad lunatic fans. The league is only doing whats in the best long term interest of the league and its league members.

Comment

Working...
                                X