Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: B1G Hockey: The Countdown Begins

Originally posted by TWEET View Post
    As an outsider with no dog in the fight I find it curious that the five Big Ten schools have encouraged Penn St. to keep their program at the club level for the past 15-20 years to create an opportunity for more of them to make the tourney field year in and year out. Usually at least three and often four of
    them would qualify as long as they didn't have to bang heads with each other. Now that only Minnesota
    is good enough to make it they want Penn St. to move up to varsity status so they have a chance to get more than one team into the tournament.

PS Sorry about the 15-20 year comment, I forgot that PSU hasn't been amember of the Big Ten that long. But you get my drift.
    *****http://memeimages.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/ancient-aliens-guy-big-hair-giorgio-tsoukalos.jpeg******
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
      *****http://memeimages.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/ancient-aliens-guy-big-hair-giorgio-tsoukalos.jpeg******
      Hahahahaha!!!
      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

As an outsider with no dog in the fight I find it curious that the five Big Ten schools have encouraged Penn St. to keep their program at the club level for the past 15-20 years to create an opportunity for more of them to make the tourney field year in and year out. Usually at least three and often four of
        them would qualify as long as they didn't have to bang heads with each other. Now that only Minnesota
        is good enough to make it they want Penn St. to move up to varsity status so they have a chance to get more than one team into the tournament.

PS Sorry about the 15-20 year comment, I forgot that PSU hasn't been amember of the Big Ten that long. But you get my drift.
        *****http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5tyxrZeHI1ryc8eqo1_400.jpg******
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

My favorite part of this post is it says it's been edited to correct misinformation...and it's still, well, THIS.

BTW...what's the likely hood it ends up in Shooter's column sometime in the next week or so?
          Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
          Originally posted by Quizmire
          mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
          MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
          MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
          I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

• Originally posted by streaker View Post
            No, I think you are bitter, like your half brothers from UNO were. Bitter at the CCHA for "allowing" MSU and Michigan to dictate league matters. Bitter about how the CCHA markets and promotes only the "big money schools". Bitter about how television hardly seems to make its way to the "mid major" campuses. Bitter how the USCHO writer (who was first accused of being an OSU poser, now a suck up to MSU and Michigan) only details stories about the anchor schools. I have seen it, read it and have been on this site for over 15 years to laugh at it. There isn't one thing that you can disprove about this opinion.

Aside from your blind hatred, you should check your facts about the B1G Ten teams record in the past 15 or so years (Aside from Michigan's NCAA tourney streak).
            Minnesota has won multiple titles and has been a consistent WCHA conference champion. Wisconsin had a good stretch a few years back and won a title. MSU has won a title in the past five seasons, and, for most of the 15 year period I speak to, has been competitive nationally . Ohio State can't claim a national title, but has won the CCHA tournament title and went to the Frozen Four, albeit in 1998. Michigan... well two titles since 1996 and a recent NC runner up. Multiple Frozen Four appearances, CCHA titles. Frankly, you don't know what you are talking about- trying to use one season as a benchmark against years of consistent national competitiveness.

Your 'big money" argument is the seed for your discontent, because your program and others like your program scream about the unfair advantages that large schools possess. Funny, that doesn't seem to bother programs like BU, North Dakota, Denver, Cornell and other prominent D1 hockey programs that are at the same fiscal disadvantage.

Frankly, I'd be careful about playing that card. NMU has been a solid contributor to the CCHA and the WCHA, but hasn't had any program success NOT because of the disparity between they and the "big" programs, but because of their own execution. They have had similar talent to other teams that found a way to be successful and were not- something that the MSU's and Michigans of college hockey will never be sympathetic about.
            Actually I've said before why the CCHA has let Michigan, MSU and more recently Notre Dame drive the bus. They are the schools that bring in the money. It's very actually. Not a bit of bitterness from me there. That's just reality, and it wouldn't be any different were I in the cmissioner's seat. It's just smart business. Viewers are far more likely to watch Michigan/ Notre Dame than NMU/Ferris. It is also far more cost efficient to send a TV crew and truck to Lansing, Ann Arbor or South Bend than to the Soo or Marquette, once again, a very smart and simple business decision. If I'm the one making the decision as to which games to air, I choose those that will draw the most viewers and cost the least to produce.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Michigan is having a very notre dame like 2011-12 season. Have all the talent imaginable but have fallen flat on their face.

Also WOTS, the CCHA will be passing the Regular Season and Playoff Championship trophies onto the B1G.
              ---
              National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
              Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
              19 Conference Championships
              10 Conference Tournament Championships
              2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
                Michigan is having a very notre dame like 2011-12 season. Have all the talent imaginable but have fallen flat on their face.

Also WOTS, the CCHA will be passing the Regular Season and Playoff Championship trophies onto the B1G.
                It's actually heading to the US hockey hall of fame.
                Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Big Ten Standings

Minnesota 14-3-3

Ohio State 7-8-5

Wisconsin 6-7-5

Penn State 8-11-0

Michigan 7-11-2

Michigan State 5-12-3

Comment

• Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                    Big Ten Standings

Minnesota 14-3-3

Ohio State 7-8-5

Wisconsin 6-7-5

Penn State 8-11-0

Michigan 7-11-2

Michigan State 5-12-3
                    The Big Ten Hockey Conference doesn't exist yet. Talk to me in 5+ years and I'll be able to give you an informed opinion on the effect of conference realignment.
                    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                      Big Ten Standings

Minnesota 14-3-3

Ohio State 7-8-5

Wisconsin 6-7-5

Penn State 8-11-0

Michigan 7-11-2

Michigan State 5-12-3
                      Michigan is having their first bad year in 22 years. 22 straight NCAA appearances, I think they'll be back. Certainly have the talent. Just no leadership right now. This season has been like ND's last year.

ohio is just ohio. They lack fan support and probably have the least amount of fans of all the B1G schools. UW has been awful for a few years now. Minny has finally done something and has a good shot barring a monster collapse of making their second straight NCAA appearance. Yayyyyy! state still sucks and will not get any better until they get a coach. No a real coach, not a former conference commissioner. And PSU is PSU. They're in a transition year to the NCAA.

B1G will be a two team league most likely for awhile. Michigan and minny. And then you'll just have "the rest".
                      ---
                      National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                      Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                      19 Conference Championships
                      10 Conference Tournament Championships
                      2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
                        Michigan is having their first bad year in 22 years. 22 straight NCAA appearances, I think they'll be back.
                        No they won't. It's over, man. Time to let it go.

Comment

This aired tonight during Alaska-Anchorage v. Minnesota on BTN. I must say, it's an excellent promo.

Hard to believe that we're nine short months away from college hockey's apocalypse and simultaneous rebirth.
                          Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                          66 - 86 - 07
                          59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                          59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

I think we've talked about this before, but with the drop to 20 conference games, that opens up a lot more non-con games. I think I heard UM and MTU are going to be playing, but I haven't heard anything regarding MSU's schedule.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                              I think we've talked about this before, but with the drop to 20 conference games, that opens up a lot more non-con games. I think I heard UM and MTU are going to be playing, but I haven't heard anything regarding MSU's schedule.
                              Last I heard, MSU goes to Houghton next season for a series against Tech. Only non-conference series I know of.

Personally, I'd like to see yearly home-and-home weekends with Western and Notre Dame. I'd also like to see a yearly series with Lake Superior State.
                              Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                              66 - 86 - 07
                              59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                              59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

I could see a home-and-home with BGSU too.

34 games, 36 if we go to Alaska, but I really don't see that ever happening again unless it's for a pre-season tournament.

So 34-B1G-Tech-GLI= 10 games to fill. Those aren't all going to be at home, though it would be nice. We could just fill it with old CCHA teams but I would like to see some new teams, maybe the military academies or a team from HE.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Working...
                                X