Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: B1G Hockey: The Countdown Begins

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    Hopefully that signals a dramatic change in the attitude of the program in regards to scheduling non-conference road series. Either way, enjoy it, as it will mark the first time in 20 years that Michigan has traveled to Houghton for a road series (and the first time in over a half-century for a non-conference series). Of course, as Hovey already pointed out, the biggest reason for that trip is likely due to the relationship between Mel and Red.
    Regardless of how it happened, it should be a good thing. I would be very surprised if it wasn't a sell-out or close to it, which will be nice since at that point there won't be any other "name" schools coming to Houghton.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      Regardless of how it happened, it should be a good thing. I would be very surprised if it wasn't a sell-out or close to it, which will be nice since at that point there won't be any other "name" schools coming to Houghton.
      I certainly hope that North Dakota and Michigan Tech can continue to play each other, but I have my doubts. It would at least be nice to do a 4 game contract over 4 years, and maybe include Northern (i.e. Tech would come to the Ralph in Year 1, UND would travel out and do 1 game each against Tech and Northern in Year 2, Northern would come out to the Ralph in Year 3, and then UND would travel out and do 1 game each against Tech and Northern in Year 4 - this could also be done in the reverse (i.e. UND goes out to Tech Year 1, Tech/Northern come out to UND Year 2...etc.)).

Ultimately, I hope the Coaches and ADs sit down and get creative to come up with ways to save these rivalries and still make it a win-win for each side involved.
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        Exactly. That's what I've never understood about taking the approach Michigan has.

I've had the privilege of seeing first hand how much enthusiasm a local team has when a "name" program comes to town. Fans in Mankato, Bemidji, etc..., get just that much more excited when someone like Wisconsin or UND plays the locals.

Now take a school like Michigan. Can you imagine the excitement in Mankato, St. Cloud, Bemidji, Duluth, Orono, Troy, Burlington, Potsdam, etc..., if the locals were playing Michigan at home. It only creates more enthusiasm for the game of college hockey, and only enhances the aura of the "name" program.

I'm sympathetic to schools who need to schedule as many home dates as possible because of heavy reliance on hockey dollars for their athletic program, but you can't tell me Michigan goes busto if during those years the CHS was played at home they found it possible to schedule a weekend away at one of the schools listed by FS23.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
          Exactly. That's what I've never understood about taking the approach Michigan has.

I've had the privilege of seeing first hand how much enthusiasm a local team has when a "name" program comes to town. Fans in Mankato, Bemidji, etc..., get just that much more excited when someone like Wisconsin or UND plays the locals.

Now take a school like Michigan. Can you imagine the excitement in Mankato, St. Cloud, Bemidji, Duluth, Orono, Troy, Burlington, Potsdam, etc..., if the locals were playing Michigan at home. It only creates more enthusiasm for the game of college hockey, and only enhances the aura of the "name" program.

I'm sympathetic to schools who need to schedule as many home dates as possible because of heavy reliance on hockey dollars for their athletic program, but you can't tell me Michigan goes busto if during those years the CHS was played at home they found it possible to schedule a weekend away at one of the schools listed by FS23.
          Isn't that basically what's been happening for years when Michigan goes to play at Bowling Green/Western Michigan/Ferris State/Northern Michigan/Lake State? If you go someplace like Bemidji or Potsdam, you lose all of the benefits in-state games bring (more passion because people are probably already either Michigan football fans or hate Michigan football, possibly have some students that didn't get into Michigan/resent it because it's the big state school, more likely to have Michigan fans in the area, Michigan fans are more likely to make the trip, you're more likely to convert kids to being Michigan fans, etc.). Both schools would be giving up thousands of dollars in lost revenue by playing in a smaller venue with cheaper ticket prices. The smaller school would lost out on a chance to get some exposure in southeast Michigan. The players would potentially miss out on a chance to be seen by NHL scouts (I imagine they show up to games at Yost more often than they do in Bemidji or Potsdam). And all you'd gain by having Michigan travel is a few thousand people in a rural area getting to watch a team they don't get to see very often in a moderately more exciting atmosphere. I know it's not all about the money, but college hockey is closer to a business than it is to a charity.

Comment

Let's just all agree to agree that Michigan sucks.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

Thank you.
              Yup.

Comment

Thank you.
                QFT
                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Thank you.
                  Well they do play in a tin shed, so yeah they suck.

Comment

Originally posted by kdilks View Post
                    I know it's not all about the money, but college hockey is closer to a business than it is to a charity.
                    That probably makes up 90% of the reason they schedule more home NC game series than road series. I don't see Red having issues with suggesting scheduling against the ECAC or HEA in or near their rinks- has done it in the recent past- and played the extra outdoor game against the Badgers. My take is, if you are going to schedule a series, you want it to benefit your program, also. He gains zero recruiting traction by playing games against the W/Nacho in their rinks. I would hazard to guess, given the nature of dislike for the Michigan program, he really doesn't give a flying fig what detractors think,anyway.

Michigan doesn't need to travel, and given the competitiveness in the national tournament, or their PWR, it hasn't hurt them there, either. This may not be an even comparison, but the SEC schools in football rummy up their NC schedule (because of their conference schedule) and it doesn't seem to affect them in bowl games. Yet, the same criticism is leveled on them. It's basically an appendage measuring argument that W fans are really fond of. Same for comparing rinks, jerseys, fightsongs and the quality of skating mascots/cheerleaders.

The new conference alignment will allow for more NC games. I'm sure there will be more agreements struck than before where the program was locked into the GLI and the CHS, which only allowed for a couple additional NC games.

Comment

In the GLI:
                      Michigan is 15 for 42 (~36%)
                      North Dakota is 2 for 4 (50%)

Head to Head at the GLI, the teams have split their 2 matchups. Michigan won 6-5 in OT in 1989, while North Dakota won 5-4 in OT in 2002 (BTW, the worst North Dakota team in the last 15 years).
                      Yeah, frequency skewing is an issue with your little poke. Two can play that game: FTR- Michigan is 15-13-9-5 in 42 appearances. 5/42= 12% last place finishes. UND, 1/4= 25%. So, if they are marginally better in their victories, the stats show they are also marginally worse than Michigan in defeat.

The 1988 appearance was in the final, so you can get a ribbon for participating. It started a string of nine straight championships for Michigan. The other championship was in 1967, which, according to fans who mock at Michigan's aged national championship banners, "isn't relevant anymore" since 13 of Michigan's 15 GLI championships have occurred since 1988. The tournament began in 1965. UND does hold the most "4th" participant championships, though. The team with the best percentage: The University of Toronto- 1 for 1 in the inaugural tourney.
                      Last edited by streaker; 10-06-2012, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                        Yeah, frequency skewing is an issue with your little poke. Two can play that game: FTR- Michigan is 15-13-9-5 in 42 appearances. 5/42= 12% last place finishes. UND, 1/4= 25%. So, if they are marginally better in their victories, the stats show they are also marginally worse than Michigan in defeat.

The 1988 appearance was in the final, so you can get a ribbon for participating. It started a string of nine straight championships for Michigan. The other championship was in 1967, which, according to fans who mock at Michigan's aged national championship banners, "isn't relevant anymore" since 13 of Michigan's 15 GLI championships have occurred since 1988. The tournament began in 1965. UND does hold the most "4th" participant championships, though. The team with the best percentage: The University of Toronto- 1 for 1 in the inaugural tourney.
                        Perhaps I should have said this earlier, and I know this might be difficult for Michigan fans to realize because their team doesn't ever travel, but outside of Michigan, nobody really cares about the GLI.
                        North Dakota
                        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Perhaps I should have said this earlier, and I know this might be difficult for Michigan fans to realize because their team doesn't ever travel, but outside of Michigan, nobody really cares about the GLI.
                          isn't that one of those tournaments set up by teams that never travel?
                          XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                          Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Bean Pot > GLI

Not that anyone cares about the BP either.

Heck, the Chippewa Falls Bantam A Tourney that my kid's team is going to is > GLI.

Comment

Heck, the Chippewa Falls Bantam A Tourney that my kid's team is going to is > GLI.
                              Someone is excited for the Leinenkugel Brewery tour!

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                              And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                              Twenty red lights in his honor
                              Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                                Someone is excited for the Leinenkugel Brewery tour!

I actually hadn't thought of that. Hmmmm....

Comment

Working...
                                X