Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boston College Women's Hockey - 2012-2013 Season Thread

Originally posted by IceIsNice View Post
    Option 2: Goalies and their parents are a bunch of whiny idiots who know nothing and should shut up and stop the puck.
    So if I read this correctly, now Parents have to help stop the puck

P.S.....In Canada, Team Ontario Blue (The B team), beat Team Ontario Red (The A team) in the National semi finals. You should see all the commenting about it on the Ontario forum with various anonymous posters throwing minor hockey players under the bus. Ugly. So I'm with you. Some parents are just a whiny bunch of...well you fill in the blanks.

P.P.S....Check your Rep !!!
    Last edited by OnMAA; 11-13-2012, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Well, I will dare say that one of two things is genuinely true:

Option 1: After years and years of highly specialized and somewhat expensive individual training, most college aged goalies and their parents are absolutely smart enough to know the difference between the following 2 likely scenarios:
      A. receiving an appropriate level of attention during practices, off ice evaluations, and transparent discussions about such things as performance, preparedness, etc. coupled with the ability to work with a bona fide goalie coach who provides input directly to the head coach regarding playing time.
      B: simply being sent to the far end of the ice for never ending 2 on 1 and 3 on 1 drills with no conversation and no feedback whatsoever, with no rational explantions regarding playing time.

Option 2: Goalies and their parents are a bunch of whiny idiots who know nothing and should shut up and stop the puck.
      I absolutley agree with option #2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Specifically in Ice's case. I am a hockey coach and I'll admit I don't know much about goaltending. I know this: if the puck stays in front of you then you are my goalie. If the puck ends up behind you then you are not. I also know that any coach who wasn't a goalie that trys to tell his goaltender how to play net will get the stink eye. Both the goalie and the crazy parents will just ignore that coach. At the club level anyway I'm sure it's different at the DI level.
      Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

Originally posted by UCONN FAN View Post
        I absolutley agree with option #2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Specifically in Ice's case. I am a hockey coach and I'll admit I don't know much about goaltending. I know this: if the puck stays in front of you then you are my goalie. If the puck ends up behind you then you are not.?!?!?!? I also know that any coach who wasn't a goalie that trys to tell his goaltender how to play net will get the stink eye. Both the goalie and the crazy parents will just ignore that coach. At the club level anyway I'm sure it's different at the DI level.
        WOW!! That's shallow!!

No goalies in the family......In the process of playing a game the fact is...fowards make many many mistakes..(bad pass given/taken..reading a play..playing a system)..Defence can get away with far fewer mistakes because it WILL be noticed more so than when the puck is headed to the offensive end. A Goalie makes a single mistake...HOLY CRRRAPP!!! EVERYONE in the stands and on the bench is an expert.
        Last edited by myStuff; 11-13-2012, 02:08 PM.

Comment

If you want to be a goalie it goes with the territory!
          "How would you like a job where, every time you make a mistake, a big red light goes on and 18,000 people boo?"
          Jacques Plante
          Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

"How would you like a job where, every time you make a mistake, a big red light goes on and 18,000 people boo?"
            Jacques Plante
            Great quote from a great player

"I know this: if the puck stays in front of you then you are my goalie. If the puck ends up behind you then you are not."

Still shallow

Comment

Jacques Plante
              And then they blow that horn that just about shakes the paint off the walls. Just watching a game with a goalie parent over the years whose kid is in net has shown me that being a goalie parent is a tough gig. I think all three parties -- coaches, goaltenders, parents -- deserve more credit than some are giving them.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I claim no part whatsoever in this conversation other than my original statement that Miller has struggled and until she turns it around, BC should stick with Boyles in net for the time being.
                Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  And then they blow that horn that just about shakes the paint off the walls. Just watching a game with a goalie parent over the years whose kid is in net has shown me that being a goalie parent is a tough gig. I think all three parties -- coaches, goaltenders, parents -- deserve more credit than some are giving them.
                  At the end of the day the Gs parents know what they are in store for/getting into. It's part of the gig and you can't have it both ways. Step up to the plate and let your play do the talking or face the music. It is a pretty simple concept.

Comment

I think the original point was about goalie decisions...... credentials/pedigree/legacy/"experience"?

or.... the best player on game day, based on a truly objective and professional determination?
                    Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Comment

• Re: Boston College Women's Hockey - 2012-2013 Season Thread

Originally posted by myStuff View Post
                      Great quote from a great player

"I know this: if the puck stays in front of you then you are my goalie. If the puck ends up behind you then you are not."

Still shallow

LOL ok..I'm a bottom line guy...most coaches are.
                      Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

Miller gives up 3 straight goals and the lead.....hmmmm

Someone's trying to jam a square peg in a round hole, when they already have a round peg.
                        Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Comment

Neither goaltender is stopping 90% of the shots as of yet. I'd say that the competition is open and the coaches are still looking for any peg the will fill as much of the hole as possible.
                          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

In the immortal words of my good friend DC, "THIS"!

Haven't we all seen this film rerun over and over again? Don't get me wrong, it's a real honor and privelege to get selected to any of your nation's natonal teams.....even at U-18 Level, but.... what does that really mean? Except for US v. Canada, the games don't mean crap, so "International Experience" in my opinion is grossly overrated at that young level. Why coaches will automatically dedicate such confidence to these players just doesn't make sense to me. I don't want to embarssa anybody, but I can think of several players just over the last few years, including some goalies, who just didn't pan out at the D1 level despite being given the benefit of the doubt when they first arrived.

Just to be clear, I think the newest member of this club has great promise and will likely evolve successfully. I just don't think the coronation should be occurring yet, especially when there is an experienced option who has already outperformed in this young season.
                            I agree that the International experience doesn't mean anything. With any player it comes down to this, "What have you done for me lately?" Here is a thought, she was recruited out of NAHA. At NAHA, how many games was she tested in, with the game on the line? From my research it seems that NAHA beat most teams by a lot when she was there. That might be the psyche issue?

Comment

LOL ok..I'm a bottom line guy...most coaches are.
                              Understood. Is it better to win 6-5 or lose 1-0 when assessing goaltenders? I know I'm talking extremes but a bottom line guy has to open his eyes and see what is going on in front of him(or her). When a team loses 1-0 and gets out shot 50-10 and the coaches response is "but you still lost" (to the goalie), then the bottom line guy is just a moron.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar3535 View Post
                                Understood. Is it better to win 6-5 or lose 1-0 when assessing goaltenders? I know I'm talking extremes but a bottom line guy has to open his eyes and see what is going on in front of him(or her). When a team loses 1-0 and gets out shot 50-10 and the coaches response is "but you still lost" (to the goalie), then the bottom line guy is just a moron.
                                I Agree. And the goalie should tell the coach we can't win if we don't score

Toe Blake On goalies: You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.

Comment

Working...
                                X