Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    It won't even be DIFFICULT. #playrealteamsthenwewilltalk
    Your predictive powers are astounding
    BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
    -
    Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
      Okay there Mr. "Let's stop throwing around opinions and grand proclamations." Why do your opinions and grand proclamations carry so much weight and mine mean nothing? More of that classic midwestern elitism Joe and I noticed when we first started posting here.
      In full disclosure I was raised a Midwest guy, WCHAer and raised our kids in MN. My posts have been more on lets encourage great competition between all of the top leagues - it will be good for the game. My view of the future says the WCHA for women will implode like it did on the Men's side.

Good luck to all.

Comment

• Re: Boston College Women's Hockey - 2012-2013 Season Thread

Play some tougher competition to better manage the expectations of your team. Otherwise you're in for a hell of a rude awakening in March for those of you who can't take off the Goldy Glasses.
        Head-to-head competition:
        vs. UNH:
        BC is 1-1-1. Total goals for/against: 12-7
        MN went 2-0. Total goals for/against: 14-2

vs. UMD
        BC went 1-1. Total goals for/against: 5-5
        MN went 2-0. Total goals for/against: 8-1

(The Gophers played both series away from home, while BC was at home for 3 of their games)

P.S. Still waiting for some facts from the math major! But now knowing that you also studied philosophy, I do understand your penchant for making grand proclaimations, the latest being, "The rest of you enlightened few can clearly see it coming like the rest of us." Eastern elitism at its finest!
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by joehockey View Post
          My view of the future says the WCHA for women will implode like it did on the Men's side.
          joe, off topic, but I assume here you were referring to the realignment of the conferences that will take place next year, not the quality of the teams.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            Head-to-head competition:
            vs. UNH:
            BC is 1-1-1. Total goals for/against: 12-7
            MN went 2-0. Total goals for/against: 14-2

vs. UMD
            BC went 1-1. Total goals for/against: 5-5
            MN went 2-0. Total goals for/against: 8-1

(The Gophers played both series away from home, while BC was at home for 3 of their games)

P.S. Still waiting for some facts from the math major! But now knowing that you also studied philosophy, I do understand your penchant for making grand proclaimations, the latest being, "The rest of you enlightened few can clearly see it coming like the rest of us." Eastern elitism at its finest!
            Holy small sample size, Batman... Geez in a world of stat cherry pickers, you are the king of all stat cherry pickers.

I'm pretty sure you're just trolling at this point, so I can't even believe I'm doing this, but let's see:

Hockey East #1 vs. WCHA #1: Boston College vs. Minnesota -- Those of us who can take off the gold glasses can see that at BEST this is a tie in terms of talent... but we'll give you Gophers the benefit of the doubt. TIE

Hockey East #2 vs. WCHA #2: Boston University vs. Ohio State -- Despite what I like to say about the scum of Comm Ave, they're actually a half decent team, managing to have a miraculous 1-1-1 record against us this year. This is not even close. BU IN A LANDSLIDE

Hockey East #3 vs. WCHA #3: Providence vs. North Dakota -- PC is having a bit of a down year, and despite the Fightin [Redacted]'s decent record against horrible competition, we have to give NoDak the edge. ND WITH THE EDGE

Hockey East #4 vs. WCHA #4: Northeastern vs. Wisconsin -- Holy horrible season, Wisconsin. Not exactly St. Cloud but clearly NU gets the edge in this battle. NU, EASILY

Hockey East #5 vs. WCHA #5: Vermont vs. Minnesota-Duluth -- Another horrible down year for a "perennial power" (pardon me while I vomit). Vermont is having a reasonable season. The result is probably too close to call. TIE

Hockey East #6 vs. WCHA #6: New Hampshire vs. Minnesota State -- LOL Minnesota State. UNH, AND IT'S NOT CLOSE

Hockey East #7 vs. WCHA #7: Connecticut vs. Bemidji State -- Both teams with terrible records. UConn at least has to play in the tougher conference so honestly we have to give them the edge, but barely. UCONN BY A NOSE

Hockey East #8 vs. WCHA #8: St. Cloud State vs. Maine -- Perennial laughing stock of women's hockey versus a bad team that, like UConn, holds its own and loses a few tough battles to better competition in a better conference. MAINE IS SLIGHTLY LESS TERRIBLE

Hockey East takes this one in a complete landslide, 5-1-2. Nate Silver would call this one with 1% of the precincts in. EVEN IF YOU ALLOW for the WCHA to flip one of the ties or something, that still hands it to the east without any trouble.

I don't really see how this is an argument. I probably just went through all that to persuade someone who's just trolling me but whatever. Take it from a math major, bro, there is no argument here. BC plays in a far tougher conference where you can't "take a game off here and there" like the Gophers who play in what might be the weakest conference outside of the AHA men. It's not even top heavy, it's a "decent" team at the top feeding off the dregs of the sport.

This is such a ridiculous argument; I can't even believe I have to spell this out for you.
            Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
            Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
            Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

You disappoint once more, Grant. All opinion and conjecture, not based on any factual information whatsoever. I could go down the same list of teams and argue the opposite, and my opinions would be just as valid. How could that be, you might ask? Because either way it's just personal opinion, with nothing to back it up!

Take a look at actual results of games pitting WCHA teams against Hockey East teams. As a math major you should understand that the numbers don't lie!

Comment

You disappoint once more, Grant. All opinion and conjecture, not based on any factual information whatsoever. I could go down the same list of teams and argue the opposite, and my opinions would be just as valid. How could that be, you might ask? Because either way it's just personal opinion, with nothing to back it up!

Take a look at actual results of games pitting WCHA teams against Hockey East teams. As a math major you should understand that the numbers don't lie!
                Well of course, whenever *I* say something, it's all opinion and conjecture. When *you* say something OHHHHH FACTTTTTTS OHHHH NUMBERS WHAT I'M SAYING IS UNIMPEACHABLE.

You're ridiculous. Just because you say it doesn't make it fact and just because I say something doesn't make it opinion. I don't think anyone would debate my conference rundown above. Why? Because it's factual, line by line evidence of which team is better than the other. Based on fact. Just because you disagree doesn't make it so. NO ONE DENIES THIS.

Comment

Tony, if you want to take a stab at some objectivity for a change, try using some ACTUAL GAME RESULTS to prove your point. That's what I've done all along. All you've been able to come up with is "my team is better than your team, and my conference is better than your conference, because I SAY SO!"

P.S. Your favorite team, Boston University, managed a tie against UMD today. By your estimation above, BU SHOULD have won in a LANDSLIDE. But once again ACTUAL GAME RESULTS prove your opinion to be incorrect.

Comment

Tony, if you want to take a stab at some objectivity for a change, try using some ACTUAL GAME RESULTS to prove your point. That's what I've done all along. All you've been able to come up with is "my team is better than your team, and my conference is better than your conference, because I SAY SO!"

P.S. Your favorite team, Boston University, managed a tie against UMD today. By your estimation above, BU SHOULD have won in a LANDSLIDE. But once again ACTUAL GAME RESULTS prove your opinion to be incorrect.
                    1) You have not used game results in your argument. All you keep saying is "USE GAME RESULTS IN YOUR ARGUMENT! You aren't using game results in your argument but I *WOULD* use game results in *MY* argument and therefore you are wrong!" While, obviously, NOT using game results.

2) My favorite team. Hilarious.

3) See, now you FINALLY break out a game result. Have you ever heard of small sample sizes? Wow, one game, and not even a win, but a *TIE*. Really? I'm guessing you weren't a math major like me so you obviously don't have a clue what you're talking about. I can play that game too.

Honestly your argument is pretty weak when your retort is "Hey I see the perfectly understandable facts you're presenting me with but NO YOU'RE WRONG!"
                    Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 12-08-2012, 06:51 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE]=TonyTheTiger20;5570859]What, do you think there's some kind of tear in space time that improves female hockey players west of a certain longitude? [Quote]

I knew there had to be a reason. Thanks Tony.

Some good laughs here. Kind of reminds me of the early days of the infamous Brown thread.

[Quote] The Founding Fathers knew that when they wrote "All Men Are Created Equal" into our great Constitution and no matter how much you listen to the mainstream AKA LAMESTREAM media, that isn't going to change. [QUOTE]

Would that be the same great Constitution that your successive administrations, regardless of stripe, just ignore for their political convenience without much clamouring from the sheeple? Or is there another one that I'm not aware of...sort of like, two sets of books?

Anyway, your comment brought back a fond high school memory that has revisited me many times. We had an English Lit teacher in grade 12...below his station I always thought...a large rotund man very much in the vein of the classical "Philosopher" type whose style and mannerisms were very much suited to philosophical pontificating but I mean that in a very complimentary way...he really did try to expand his students' consciousness...very little Eng lit was taught/discussed as I recall.

Although I can't recall the topic, one day while he was attempting to expose the class to some higher forms of thought than it was normally used to he made a comment to which I objected by raising my hand from the back of the room and asking quite confidently, "but Mr. "***", isn't it true that all men are created equal?"

As the rest of my classmates turned to look at me as if in anticipation of a confrontation that I had been stupid enough to ask for by even questioning anything that he said, since he was way above our intellectual pay grade, he gazed steadily at me while allowing a pregnant pause to fill the room amid the silence of anticipation while he collected his thoughts, very surprised that anyone had been paying attention and had actually challenged him. Finally, and very slowly and deliberately, while maintaining constant eye contact with me he said "yes, it IS true that all men are created equal. It's just that, SOME, are a little more EQUAL than others."

Comment

it IS true that all men are created equal. It's just that, SOME, are a little more EQUAL than others."
                        I suspect a tiger is not going to have any difficulty recognizing Animal Farm.
                        Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

• Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                          I suspect a tiger is not going to have any difficulty recognizing Animal Farm.
                          Ah, that is asking a lot of a bean counter.

Comment

Well of course, whenever *I* say something, it's all opinion and conjecture. When *you* say something OHHHHH FACTTTTTTS OHHHH NUMBERS WHAT I'M SAYING IS UNIMPEACHABLE.
                            Finally! You're beginning to catch on! Honestly, I was hoping you'd get it a little earlier, since you say you majored in math.

I've given you the numbers, but I realize they are complicated, and are probably above the BC level. I'm not going to repeat them all here, but to summarize:

1. The MN strength of schedule has been tougher than BC's.
                            2. The WCHA's non-conference record is 24-8-1, by far the best in the land.
                            3. Vs. common opponents, the Gophers record trumps BC's, both in won/loss and goals for/against.
                            4. The WCHA has the overall better record against Hockey East.

None of these are "opinion and conjecture", as they are based on ACTUAL RESULTS! And, taken as a whole, they are NOT based on a small sample size.

So, until the NCAA's, I rest my case!

Comment

Don't drag me in but 10 of those wins are against Lindenwood. Who doesn't play any HEA teams.

Comment

This is just getting comical at this point.

Finally! You're beginning to catch on! Honestly, I was hoping you'd get it a little earlier, since you say you majored in math.

I've given you the numbers, but I realize they are complicated, and are probably above the BC level. I'm not going to repeat them all here, but to summarize:

1. The MN strength of schedule has been tougher than BC's.
                                This is the very definition of "opinion & conjecture"! Geez you are becoming a freaking characature of yourself. How about take a look at the SOS ratings on KRACH and RPI? We're blowing the Gophers away! Even with the inherent western bias built into the ratings (don't even pretend you don't know what I'm talking about here) BC STILL torches Minnesota in SOS. Why? Maybe because they play in a better conference and play better teams and didn't build a smoke & mirrors 20-0-0 "perfect" record?
                                I don't know how much more we can go over this, but if the Red Sox go 0-162 and my town's little league goes 20-0, that doesn't mean the kids could whoops the big leaguers. That's exactly what this is here.
                                3. Vs. common opponents, the Gophers record trumps BC's, both in won/loss and goals for/against.
                                I'm going to give you a pass on this one because based on your inability to grasp numbers and facts, I wouldn't expect the term "small sample size" to stick to you. Trust me, I was a math major, so I know what I'm talking about. Don't you get that? I WAS A MATH MAJOR. That immediately gives me credibility over you. This is why if you turn on Fox News you see guys with real credentials talking about what's REALLY going on in this country and why if you turn on the mainstream AKA LAMESTREAM media they just feed the sheeple what the government WANTS THEM TO HEAR. Same thing.

What were you anyway, a physics major? I'll let the physics guy stick to physics and you let the math guy stick to math, okay?
                                4. The WCHA has the overall better record against Hockey East.
                                Again. Not just a small-ish sample size, but see my Little League/MLB analogy above. Minnesota plays in the Little League of women's hockey. Winning an 8 team tournament a few times where you just need to string together a few lucky wins does not a better conference make. I mean honestly, take a look at what happens when Minnesota has to play BC in the tournament. Once they get absolutely curbstomped to the point where it leaves their coach's head spinning and he's forced to remind his team the next year of what happens when they play real competition, and the other time, on their own ice, they get the luckiest win of all time by a single goal where for basically the entire game BC was teeing off on target practice on whoever the Minnesota goalie was.

None of these are "opinion and conjecture",
                                For the love of all that is good and holy, yes they are!
                                as they are based on ACTUAL RESULTS!
                                Yeah, against Lindenwood and St. Cloud and Bemidji Freaking State. Little Leaguers. Why are your teams afraid to play the big boys?
                                And, taken as a whole, they are NOT based on a small sample size.
                                No, that's not how it works. Small sample size + small sample size + small sample size does not equal BIG SAMPLE SIZE. It equals uncertainty to the third power. And for you, Mr. Physics-Major-Not-A-Math-Major, that means even MORE uncertainty than just ONE set of small sample size.

Sigh.

So, until the NCAA's, I rest my case!
                                I mean honestly like I said, have at it, but the rest of us can clearly see the writing on the wall. You guys are in for a world of disappointment.

Originally posted by NUWH DogHouse View Post
                                Don't drag me in but 10 of those wins are against Lindenwood. Who doesn't play any HEA teams.
                                Q. E. Freakin' D.

Comment

Working...
                                X