Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irish hockey '12-'13: Why would you not wanna go there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish hockey '12-'13: Why would you not wanna go there?

So here is the new season thread. The title (as per usual) is a song by my favorite Philly band, Hoots and Hellmouth. It's about a "fanciful kingdom."

Captains should be announced next week, but they are already leading practices. You can attend tomorrow morning's 10:00 practice and hopefully make it out of there before the football rush gets too thick. The first official, all-in practice is October 6th. In the meantime, you can meet the players (freshmen are up first) on ND's Twitter account. Strange. Steven Fogarty looks nothing like Christian Hanson...
    "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Re: Irish hockey '12-'13: Why would you not wanna go there?

So how did the first practice go?

Comment

This wasn't the first practice. The captains have led practices for about a week and there have been voluntary practices since school began. The first official practice that would be mandatory and have all coaching staff present is in 2 weeks.

Other than that, nothing special to report.

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Something just occurred to me...Garrett Peterson is not on the team anymore. Anyone know what happened?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
          Something just occurred to me...Garrett Peterson is not on the team anymore. Anyone know what happened?
          He still goes to school there. He still hangs out with the hockey team. Maybe a mistake was made when they released the roster.

Comment

Originally posted by NotreDameFan27 View Post
            He still goes to school there. He still hangs out with the hockey team. Maybe a mistake was made when they released the roster.
            I would say no mistake was made as he was not included in the intros on their Twitter page. They are working their way through the juniors now.

Everyone should have their season tix by tomorrow. Mine arrived today. Hot dog!

Comment

Odd news about Garrett Peterson. He seemed to have a fairly steady freshman season. Good +/-, found the scoresheet as much as any of the part-timers (and more than a few full time skaters) and the team played well when he dressed, 13-5-2 when he was in the lineup versus a horrible 6-13-1 without him. He skated in most of the best wins of the year as well, BC, BU, the Minn game. This may have a bigger impact on the team than it may otherwise appear at first glance. I have no idea why he is not on the roster.

Comment

The Hockey News' Ryan Kennedy interviewed Coach Jackson for THN's upcoming college hockey preview. Irish fans should expect to see T.J. Tynan and Anders Lee on separate lines this season as Lee is moving to center. Now there's a good Christian Hanson replacement. Lee went about 60% on his faceoffs, but he took only about 30, whereas Tynan went about 58% on his faceoffs, but took about 660 of them.

Comment

In addition to moving to the center position, Lee will apparently be the only captain this year. I think it was expressed a time or two in this forum that the oddity of having two players wear the "C" did not seem to be overly successful last season, so a little more traditional approach is probably welcome. I wonder if Lee's move to center -- which was talked about somewhere in the off-season -- has something to do with Peterson not being on the roster. After playing both wings last year in the season's opening months, Peterson played the second half centering the fourth line. Wasn't Lee playing center regularly until he came to Notre Dame?

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                    Wasn't Lee playing center regularly until he came to Notre Dame?
                    Yes.

Comment

So the game at Minnesota is now on a Tuesday?! It has been moved to Tuesday, January 8th I presume for tv purposes as it will be on FSN.

So ND has 4 mid-week games and 2 Sunday games (not counting the exhibition game) this season. Within the span of a month (actually, within the span of 25 days), the Irish will play 10 games (Tuesday, January 8th to Saturday, February 2nd). IIRC, last season when they averaged about a game every 2.5 days earlier in the season, they went 7-0-3. I'll take that.

Comment

“@Russostrib: #MNWild prospect Mario Lucia (broke leg in August) has cast off, almost weight bearing, hopes to debut for Notre Dame by Thanksgiving (1/2)”
                        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                          ...Mario Lucia (broke leg in August) has cast off, almost weight bearing, hopes to debut for Notre Dame by Thanksgiving...
                          Yay. But again, why are we learning this from a publication 3 states away?

Eek. I don't know how to feel about pre-season league guesses (think back to one year ago). I certainly don't like the idea of big heads because sometimes they get in the way of actually competing hard. This team has performed better when they come in somewhat under the radar. I guess it's time they perform well on the radar...

We have our first competition in 4 days. The Under-18 team comes to the CFIA Sunday. Thus far they are 3-1-0 and make a stop in Madison to play their first D1 team the night before playing here. Players to watch would include Tyler Motte (of the FSU goalie C.J. Motte family) and Shane Eiserman (not of the Steve Yzerman family). Each has 5 points. Their top Dman is Scott Savage with 3 points. Hunter Miska (2-0-0, 2.5 GA, .902 save %) and Thatcher Demko (1-1-0, 2.0 GA, .897 save %) have split time in net. USA is 16.7% on the PP and 85% on the PK. Dawson Cook and Kevin Labanc are ND commits, so we'll get a sneak peak at how they play.

With no question marks about league moves, no frenzy about the new digs, no media coverage for the documentary, and the FB team actually doing well thus keeping everyone's attention on those players, I'm hopeful that the hockey team can simply focus on the task at hand: winning a national championship for Christ's sake.

If you're going to bother dreaming, you may as well dream big!

Comment

How cool is this?!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                              How cool is this?!
                              That was very cool. It is for reasons such as this, that I love college hockey. Thank you very much for sharing.
                              North Dakota
                              National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Working...
                              X