UNH WildcatS 2012-'13: The Dawn of New Prominence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by freak View Post
    So..... She'll be back in the stands on Wednesday?
    Read my mind=
    "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

• Re: UNH WildcatS 2012-'13: The Dawn of New Prominence

Originally posted by wowie4
      What a joke!!! .....Rest of post deleted
      Wow Wowie. Sounds to me you are trying to win the Cookie award (flashback). First ever post and this is your contribution?. What a Joke indeed !.
      Last edited by OnMAA; 12-05-2012, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Posting Guidelines

The USCHO Fan Forum is a place where all college hockey fans can come and express their opinions and thoughts. It is a gathering place for the disciples of the world’s greatest sport.

To maintain a high level of content on the board, we have implemented an authorization scheme that will easily allow everyone to discuss college hockey in an environment that all can enjoy.

Be yourself! Do not pose as a player, coach or other known personality. Similarly, do not pretend to be another poster, or change the content of another user when quoting them. Let others speak for themselves.
        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by wowie4
          What a joke!!! This is for all the future parents/girls looking at UNH---after I finish most of you reading will have the same thoughts as I have reading many of the posts by parents on this forum and that is WOW ARE THEY CRAZY PARENTS do they not know what NCAA is all about and how much work their kids need to do to be successful ----and they are just bitter parents not getting there own way. Well let me save you the typing. Yes we are bitter parents and let me further state that we have no one to blame but ourselves and only ourselves. Hence the thread---Know that when you decide to send your daughter to UNH that they will destroy her confidence in the game and they will set them up to fail for reasons that you will never understand and that you will shake your head at---possibly to toughen their skins???---well my kid has a tough skin and knows what hard work is all about as she worked hard to get to UNH -----she takes things as they are thrown her way and tries to persevere but hard to fight through it when you are begin set up to fail!!! We looked at this school knowing that at one point they were a top ten and that they were in the building phase but that is not the case ----there is no building phase----they were the in the top 10 because of the National leaders they had---easy to coach those kids---problem is trying to coach kids that are not National players, something that UNH has no idea how to do. A lot of talent this year and into what? week 12 and still have no idea what to do. Continuously boasting about the same players in McCloskeys blog and around the rink even when their +- indicates some problems(btw all these girls are wonderful hard working individuals)is not how you motivate the ones that are trying to please and earn their spots--- that is soooo old school-----Guess what McCloskey they knew you like them based on the ice time they see---destroying the moral and the confidence of the rest of the team is not going to build you a winning team. So in the end I wish my daughter would have spoken to more then one person prior to making her decision and as parents we failed her in assisting her in doing her homework so--- consider this a heads up to future recruits, please do your homework I wish we would have
          So what your saying is your kid isn't good enough to play much if at all on a 6th place hockey team with a losing overall record and you are upset about it when you should likely be happy she has a team to play for because maybe no one else would take her...is that how I read this post? Your rant makes you look really bad with suspect character and absolutely no 'team-first' attitude...let's hope the apple falls far from the tree!

Comment

Originally posted by wowie4
            What a joke!!! ....
            It's unfortunate that your family's experience at UNH has made you this bitter. UNH is a terrific University with a great foundation of a team. Yes, the hockey could be better right now but the players and coaches can both take responsibility for their current record. They have a young team and have played one of the toughest schedules in all of Division I hockey. Many of the freshmen are getting a lot of playing time and are making lots of freshman mistakes. It's a huge leap to this level and the girls are going to adjust at different rates. This does not help the win-loss record but they are still attracting top talent and will continue to because of the total school experience and environment, not just the hockey. The school is challenging, the location is unique, and most importantly the vast majority of the girls and their families are great people. There is good chemistry off the ice and that will follow on the ice as these players develop. This is a positive environment and trying to dissuade others from the opportunity to play at UNH is a disservice to that family, your daughter, and the players she has befriended. Every D-I program has playing time and other internal issues. It's impossible for all players and parents to be completely satisfied in any program as evidenced by my recent conversations with WCHA families. But I really respect the character of those families in that they understand the workings of a D-I program, they use the communication channels they should, and most importantly though not completely satisfied, they would never do anything to undermine the program itself. Those are the type of families UNH is trying to recruit. Maybe they missed…..

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
              Posting Guidelines

The USCHO Fan Forum is a place where all college hockey fans can come and express their opinions and thoughts. It is a gathering place for the disciples of the world’s greatest sport.

To maintain a high level of content on the board, we have implemented an authorization scheme that will easily allow everyone to discuss college hockey in an environment that all can enjoy.

Be yourself! Do not pose as a player, coach or other known personality. Similarly, do not pretend to be another poster, or change the content of another user when quoting them. Let others speak for themselves.
              While you try to hang me on a technicality, I sincerely believe that those connected to a program should not be throwing these programs under the bus. As parents, we should teach our daughters to stand up for themselves and teach how to deal with these type of challenges directly from within. For a parent to come on here to blast the coach is not the right approach. That was my opinion in the past on similar threads, and that is still my opinion today. My own D's have been in challenging situations themselves in the past. Letting them work through it made them stronger. Facing challenges and disappointments is just the nature of varsity sport in general. What makes the person is how they deal with the adversity.
              Last edited by OnMAA; 12-06-2012, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by puckskillz View Post
                It's unfortunate that your family's experience at UNH has made you this bitter. UNH is a terrific University with a great foundation of a team. Yes, the hockey could be better right now but the players and coaches can both take responsibility for their current record. They have a young team and have played one of the toughest schedules in all of Division I hockey. Many of the freshmen are getting a lot of playing time and are making lots of freshman mistakes. It's a huge leap to this level and the girls are going to adjust at different rates. This does not help the win-loss record but they are still attracting top talent and will continue to because of the total school experience and environment, not just the hockey. The school is challenging, the location is unique, and most importantly the vast majority of the girls and their families are great people. There is good chemistry off the ice and that will follow on the ice as these players develop. This is a positive environment and trying to dissuade others from the opportunity to play at UNH is a disservice to that family, your daughter, and the players she has befriended. Every D-I program has playing time and other internal issues. It's impossible for all players and parents to be completely satisfied in any program as evidenced by my recent conversations with WCHA families. But I really respect the character of those families in that they understand the workings of a D-I program, they use the communication channels they should, and most importantly though not completely satisfied, they would never do anything to undermine the program itself. Those are the type of families UNH is trying to recruit. Maybe they missed…..
                THIS!

When I first read Wowie's post, I immediately began to wonder which player the parent belongs to, but I realized that is completely unfair to the player and the team. If you really care about your daughter, her playing career, and her college experience, you might consider showing your support in a more positive way, because you are, in effect, ostracizing her in public, and condemning one of her most adult decisions up to this point - her choice of college.

If she struggles with coaching or playing time, and is so miserable that she does not want to be at UNH, there are many options, but if running away from a tough, unpleasant, challenging situation is the answer your family comes up with, maybe the skin isn't quite as tough as you think.

There are posts every season from "people close to the situation" who say that Coach X is ruining the team, their daughter, the future... It's really rather tiring to see people who are so bitter hide behind an anonymous screen name and fire accusations and insults, real or perceived, at a target who may not even be aware that it's happening.

This is your D's first foray into the semi-real world. You earn your place in it by solving problems, not creating them. I hope your daughter is better at that than you, and I wish her luck as she continues to become more comfortable outside her comfort zone both on the ice and off. There is a lot of talent and character on this team, and I can see a marked improvement in their game and play, win or lose, and it's because of the coaches and the players buying in to a program and the role they are playing within it. Your D will be better served if you let her work it out with positive support, or the apple will end up as bitter as the tree.

Funny - I checked Wowie's profile, and the only information there is "wowie4 has not made any friends yet" Go figure~
                "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

I thought this would be a good time to re-post one of the best, most poignant speeches I have heard - 2012 Grad Emma Clark's Senior Reflections:

The Shift

For some, a shift, is a shift, is a shift. I hope that I can shed a little light on the significance of a shift, for me at least, and perhaps make you think a bit deeper by the end of my time sharing my thoughts today as I reflect over my time in hockey and with UNH.

The dictionary defines the word shift like this: to transfer from one place, position or person, to another; to change or exchange. Why would anyone care about this? What does it matter? Well, for me this word changed my life.

As most of you know I started out at St Lawrence University – a recruit of Paul Flanagan and Ted Wisner. I was excited to begin my college hockey career and make my mark. But before I even stepped onto the ice for practice there was an unfortunate shift. Coach Flanagan made a change, deciding to begin a program at Syracuse University and leaving before I spent day one with my new team. I was dissapointed, but always optimistic. I would give the new coach, his replacement, an opportunity. Long story short, we did not see eye to eye as the new coach made it clear that he would not have recruited a ‘small’ player. I didn’t care. I wanted to play. I guess I’d really never though about being small…

As a freshman I was eager and ready, but also “green” and starry eyed. As we traveled to our first “away” game at the University of New Hampshire I was prepared and raring to go without a thought, except to hope that I didn’t “screw it up” if I got out there! .. The Whittemore Center proved to be magic for me as I scored my first collegiate goal right here in Durham. What a day, what a moment. No matter what else happened that day, I was on a high…..what a feeling. Things began to shift for me after that and I had made my mind up that I would be transferring.

I shifted my thoughts and my hockey career yet again. I spoke with the assistant coach at UNH and she informed me that I had been accepted and would be welcome to join their program. Once again I was filled with hope and excitement. Plus my mother always told me there never was a Saint with red hair!

This is where my shift gets interesting…. The program at UNH was intense, successful and very much calculated. Of course it was, that is how you win hockey games. I had to prove myself and earn my place…. The team was already formed prior to my arrival and they had key prolific players like Kelly Paton, Micaela Long and Courtney Birchard to name a few. I had to shift my thinking and shift my skill set. It was challenging and such a shock for me to learn I had to improve and learn, but I love a challenge.

Instead of hoping for ‘more’ playing time, I began to hope and actually work towards earning a single shift.

So what do you do when presented with that reality??? My answer was to work. If I was going to have just a single shift, it would be my personal best… my very best. What would you do if you got just one shift?? You **** well better make it count.

So that brings me to a question for all of you… What do you do when you get shift after shift after shift? What do you do when you play constantly? No answers?? Well the answer stays the same. You work and you work and you work to give your personal best...your very best. How dare any of us take that for granted. Why would any of us lay back and just play? Inconceivable!

One shift… it can change momentum. One shift…it can allow your teammate to recharge. One shift…it can create opportunities. One shift… it can win a game. One shift…it got me off the bench! If you’re not taking advantage of "your shift" then you’re simply taking someone else’s.

My first year at UNH there was a big shift in women’s hockey. UNH would face Northeastern and be recognized by playing outdoors at Frozen Fenway. That was an unforgettable day and I still can’t believe I can now say I was a part of it. When I look back on all of this, my life will shift once again….

I am heading down the homestretch of my time with the Blue and White and it feels unimaginable. Some ask me "was it hard to make the change? Was it hard to not play as often? Was it hard to be a competitor who was sidelined at times? "

My answer: Hell Yeah! You bet it was. It was all consuming at times. There were tears and there was struggle…. The final question always comes - “then why did you do it, why stick with it?” My answer: for the love of the game.

I challenge you, in fact I DARE you…. to make your shift memorable, even if no one else notices or pays attention. If you find yourself on the ice or in life, with just a single shift, make it count. No one wants to wish for a "do over" on the ice or in life. And if you have more shifts than you know what to do with, make them count… because people notice.. I notice. And deep down you know if you’re not giving your best, your very best…which means you are simply taking.. someone else’s shift. They may not have the most talent or the best stats.. But that shift belongs to someone who wants it more… for the love of the game.
                  Last edited by DC78-82; 12-06-2012, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
                    I thought this would be a good time to re-post one of the best, most poignant speeches I have heard - 2012 Grad Emma Clark's Senior Reflections:

The Shift

For some, a shift, is a shift, is a shift. I hope that I can shed a little light on the significance of a shift, for me at least, and perhaps make you think a bit deeper by the end of my time sharing my thoughts today as I reflect over my time in hockey and with UNH.

The dictionary defines the word shift like this: to transfer from one place, position or person, to another; to change or exchange. Why would anyone care about this? What does it matter? Well, for me this word changed my life.

As most of you know I started out at St Lawrence University – a recruit of Paul Flanagan and Ted Wisner. I was excited to begin my college hockey career and make my mark. But before I even stepped onto the ice for practice there was an unfortunate shift. Coach Flanagan made a change, deciding to begin a program at Syracuse University and leaving before I spent day one with my new team. I was dissapointed, but always optimistic. I would give the new coach, his replacement, an opportunity. Long story short, we did not see eye to eye as the new coach made it clear that he would not have recruited a ‘small’ player. I didn’t care. I wanted to play. I guess I’d really never though about being small…

As a freshman I was eager and ready, but also “green” and starry eyed. As we traveled to our first “away” game at the University of New Hampshire I was prepared and raring to go without a thought, except to hope that I didn’t “screw it up” if I got out there! .. The Whittemore Center proved to be magic for me as I scored my first collegiate goal right here in Durham. What a day, what a moment. No matter what else happened that day, I was on a high…..what a feeling. Things began to shift for me after that and I had made my mind up that I would be transferring.

I shifted my thoughts and my hockey career yet again. I spoke with the assistant coach at UNH and she informed me that I had been accepted and would be welcome to join their program. Once again I was filled with hope and excitement. Plus my mother always told me there never was a Saint with red hair!

This is where my shift gets interesting…. The program at UNH was intense, successful and very much calculated. Of course it was, that is how you win hockey games. I had to prove myself and earn my place…. The team was already formed prior to my arrival and they had key prolific players like Kelly Paton, Micaela Long and Courtney Birchard to name a few. I had to shift my thinking and shift my skill set. It was challenging and such a shock for me to learn I had to improve and learn, but I love a challenge.

Instead of hoping for ‘more’ playing time, I began to hope and actually work towards earning a single shift.

So what do you do when presented with that reality??? My answer was to work. If I was going to have just a single shift, it would be my personal best… my very best. What would you do if you got just one shift?? You **** well better make it count.

So that brings me to a question for all of you… What do you do when you get shift after shift after shift? What do you do when you play constantly? No answers?? Well the answer stays the same. You work and you work and you work to give your personal best...your very best. How dare any of us take that for granted. Why would any of us lay back and just play? Inconceivable!

One shift… it can change momentum. One shift…it can allow your teammate to recharge. One shift…it can create opportunities. One shift… it can win a game. One shift…it got me off the bench! If you’re not taking advantage of "your shift" then you’re simply taking someone else’s.

My first year at UNH there was a big shift in women’s hockey. UNH would face Northeastern and be recognized by playing outdoors at Frozen Fenway. That was an unforgettable day and I still can’t believe I can now say I was a part of it. When I look back on all of this, my life will shift once again….

I am heading down the homestretch of my time with the Blue and White and it feels unimaginable. Some ask me "was it hard to make the change? Was it hard to not play as often? Was it hard to be a competitor who was sidelined at times? "

My answer: Hell Yeah! You bet it was. It was all consuming at times. There were tears and there was struggle…. The final question always comes - “then why did you do it, why stick with it?” My answer: for the love of the game.

I challenge you, in fact I DARE you…. to make your shift memorable, even if no one else notices or pays attention. If you find yourself on the ice or in life, with just a single shift, make it count. No one wants to wish for a "do over" on the ice or in life. And if you have more shifts than you know what to do with, make them count… because people notice.. I notice. And deep down you know if you’re not giving your best, your very best…which means you are simply taking.. someone else’s shift. They may not have the most talent or the best stats.. But that shift belongs to someone who wants it more… for the love of the game.
                    THIS !!!.....is a beauty. Must read for any varsity player (and their Parents).!!

Comment

• Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                      THIS !!!.....is a beauty. Must read for any varsity player (and their Parents).!!
                      tI cannot find the original post and I am not sure I am posting this right . Speaking on behalf of our family who sees our daughter having a bit of a struggle this year. She knows she has to find her place and work through her problems or issues with academics, and with hockey --even with the struggle all we can do as parents is support as much as possible without fighting the battle for them. UNH has been a great decision to date and with the ups and downs like anything else I am sure the light is still at the end of the tunnel and her way will be found with enough work

Comment

Originally posted by squirt View Post
                        I cannot find the original post and I am not sure I am posting this right . Speaking on behalf of our family who sees our daughter having a bit of a struggle this year. She knows she has to find her place and work through her problems or issues with academics, and with hockey --even with the struggle all we can do as parents is support as much as possible without fighting the battle for them. UNH has been a great decision to date and with the ups and downs like anything else I am sure the light is still at the end of the tunnel and her way will be found with enough work
                        Looks like the original post was deleted.

You got the right perspective. Have two D that played varsity. One is graduated, the other in year three still playing. Both had their struggles at times, and good times as well. Neither were stars on their teams and both had to adjust their hockey roles while at college. Combine that with a rigorous curriculum (both pre-med), and it presents many challenges. You hit the nail on the head....We have to support them, encourage them and advise them, but let them find their own way to success, and let them deal with failures as well. Many think they can do everything when they are in high school, specially those with success. Many find out in college that you cannot do everything and be successful at it. We have to led them try for themselves, so they can find out for themselves. It is the greatest learning tool of all.

Proud parent.

Comment

Nice game by UNH battling toe to toe with Harvard and getting a 2-2 tie today in Durham.

Comment

So the team hits the break at 7-11-2, having played 11 of those games against teams in the top ten nationally. This being done with a team 1/3 freshman...anybody have issues with this team? Personally I think they're great...what else could you ask for...talk about enjoying the journey! Enjoy your well deserved break Ladies, have a safe and joyous Holidays and we'll continue the fun next year !

Comment

Sorry. We've been informed that your team is a bunch of bottom feeders by an impeccable source.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                                Sorry. We've been informed that your team is a bunch of bottom feeders by an impeccable source.
                                Yeah, lots of good Terrier, Eagle, and Husky treats to feed on down at the bottom.

Comment

Working...
                                X