2012-2013 North Dakota Hockey: Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012-2013 North Dakota Hockey: Season Thread

Love the way the Sioux are playing right now. The second half surge seems to of started a little early. Need to finish it tonight and go into the break feeling good about themselves.
    Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

The line chemistry is starting to look better and with the exception of Parks everyone looks pretty healthy, at least nothing serious enough to keep them out of games and with the break it's healing time for the minor injuries. Should be a good warm-up series with Holy Cross Gopher Killers before UND returns to league play, hopefully there won't be any "incidents" over the break.
      "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
      Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
      The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
      Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

A look at my preseason expectations, and how we are doing at the midpoint of the season...

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
        1) A top 2 finish in the WCHA - I think this season really comes down to Minnesota and North Dakota fighting for the MacNaughton. The Gophers have the far easier schedule, so they certainly have the advantage (not to mention the lone series between the teams is at Mariucci). That being said, there is no reason this team should finish below second, and could very well win the MacNaughton one last time.
        It looks like SCSU may sneak into the mix here as well, but at the midpoint, North Dakota has the best winning % in the conference. The schedule in the second half is a little more difficult with trips to Minnesota, Omaha, Denver, and Mankato (all currently top-half teams), but this team is playing well enough that a top 2 finish is very possible. IMO, this team can win 5 of 8 on the road, and get 6-7 out of 8 at home (CC, SCSU, Wisconsin, Bemidji), which would put them at 39-41 points. Since the WCHA switched to a 28 game league schedule in 1996-1997, 41 points has been good for a top 2 finish every season (and good enough to win the league 4 of the past 8 years). 39 has been good enough for a top 2 finish in each of the past 7 years (and good enough to win the league twice in that time span). The key series will likely be early in the 2nd half against Minnesota and SCSU. Take more than 4 points combined there, and North Dakota has a very good chance at hoisting the MacNaughton.

2) Make the Final Five Championship Game - Assuming this team gets a #1 or #2 seed, they should have no issues with getting to the Final Five and winning a game. I would love to see this squad four-peat, and I think they actually will. That being said, winning the Final Five is probably a bit too much to expect from any team, so I will leave it at playing for the title.
        Obviously, this is still a long ways away, and difficult to really make a good prediction. However, if UND can get one of the top two seeds, they should be able to make it to the Final Five title game.

3) Make the NCAA Tournament - This is almost a no-brainer, but shouldn't be overlooked. This team is talented, and they should be able to garner a Top seed if they play up to expectations.
        Subpar results in non-conference play may bar this squad from getting a #1 seed. However, UND is currently a solid #2 seed, and with a strong second half of the season, they should be able to at least maintain that position. If the cards fall right, they may be able to get a top seed. I haven't done much analysis of the PWR just yet, but I would imagine if North Dakota went on a good run and went something along the lines of 19-3 or 18-4, it may be enough to get a #1 seed. After UND got a #1 seed last year, I'll never say never until it's mathematically impossible.

4) Frozen Four Appearance - This is a bit of a stretch for an expectation because the NCAA Tournament is so unpredictable, but I think North Dakota has the talent and ability to make it back to the Frozen Four this season. Anything less would be somewhat of a disappointment, so I threw it in the expectations category.
        I still see this as an expectation. North Dakota struggled at times early in the season, but they have really played well over the last 3-4 weeks. They will need to continue to improve if they want to make some noise in the NCAAs, but that being said, a 10-5-3 start is pretty good given our recent history. Consequently, I still say that not making the Frozen Four would be somewhat of a disappointment.

5) 25-28 wins - Our OOC schedule is a little more difficult this year (2 up in Alaska, BU, @ Notre Dame, Holy Cross), but we should be able to win 5 of those games. Throw in that in the WCHA 1st or 2nd place usually is somewhere around 34-40 points (equivalent to 17-20 wins). Throw in a first round WCHA win and a win at the Final Five, and that gets us to 25-28 wins.
        We're 10-5-3...not too bad for this squad. There are 18 more regular season games, a first round WCHA series, potentially 3 Final Five games, and up to 4 possible NCAA Tournament games. That means we have anywhere from 20-28 games remaining on the season. As stated above, I think this squad wins 11-12 of our remaining regular season conference games. Add to that 2 wins over Holy Cross (who is very capable of pushing UND and winning a game), a first round WCHA series win, and at least 1 win at the Final Five, that equals 16-17 more victories. If the squad also makes the frozen four, that would push that up to 18-19 victories. Basically, 25-28 wins is completely within the range that I think this team can accomplish.

So then, what equals exceeds expectations?

1) Winning the MacNaughton
        2) Winning the Final Five
        3) Winning the National Championship
        4) 30+ wins
        The MacNaughton is certainly reachable with 39-41 points, and nobody on this squad has ever lost a WCHA Final Five game, so that is certainly within the realm of possibility. The National Championship is possible, but a lot of that will come down to luck, hot goalies, health, and who is playing the best at the right time. North Dakota should at least be in the mix when it comes to March and hopefully April. As for the 30+ wins, that is certainly possible as well. If North Dakota accomplishes the first three goals to exceed expectations, they will likely win somewhere in the neighborhood of 31-33 games.

It has been a lot of fun to watch this team progress throughout the season. If Hakstol's track record continues, it should be very exciting to watch this team in the second half, win a lot of games, raise a couple of trophies, and maybe...just maybe win that elusive National Championship. However it shakes out, I'm sure we'll all have fun watching the games.

Anyway, how are everyone else's expectations coming along? Where do you see this team going in the second half?
        Last edited by Fighting Sioux 23; 12-18-2012, 09:26 AM.
        North Dakota
        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by darker98 View Post
          Did it say Duluth beat us in the Semis?
          And he called us "Minny".
          tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Sioux pick up a nice recruit:

http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=92626
            Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Shane Gersich commints to UND. Another great pick up by Hakstol.
              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
              Originally posted by Quizmire
              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Corban Knight is named WCHA player of the week - well deserved!

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle...CLID=205835897

Comment

Checking the PWR, the WCHA only would have UND and UMTC as sure locks right now for the tourney. SCSU sits at 16, but would be bumped by the auto-bid. With the last round of non-conference games coming up, it's time for the WCHA to start flexing a little or it could be a lonely and embarrassing showing for the old school conference...
                  'If a man wants to eat fried chicken, he's gotta get greasy.' - Kenny Rogers

Fighting Sioux Hockey: Highest NCAA Playoff Winning Percentage

There's no more pompous group of sports fans in the Twin Cities than hardcore followers of Gophers men's hockey. That makes it quite entertaining to see them in full pout after an unexpected elimination from the NCAA tournament. - Reusse

Comment

1. It looks like SCSU may sneak into the mix here as well, but at the midpoint, North Dakota has the best winning % in the conference. The schedule in the second half is a little more difficult with trips to Minnesota, Omaha, Denver, and Mankato (all currently top-half teams), but this team is playing well enough that a top 2 finish is very possible. IMO, this team can win 5 of 8 on the road, and get 6-7 out of 8 at home (CC, SCSU, Wisconsin, Bemidji), which would put them at 39-41 points. Since the WCHA switched to a 28 game league schedule in 1996-1997, 41 points has been good for a top 2 finish every season (and good enough to win the league 4 of the past 8 years). 39 has been good enough for a top 2 finish in each of the past 7 years (and good enough to win the league twice in that time span). The key series will likely be early in the 2nd half against Minnesota and SCSU. Take more than 4 points combined there, and North Dakota has a very good chance at hoisting the MacNaughton.

Although the schedule is challenging, it starts out favorably, with 3 out of the first 4 series at home (the one road series being at UMTC). I can see a good lead in the standings going into the last 4 series, where the Sioux play 3 of 4 series on the road. It may take back-to-back sweeps of BSU and MSUM to win the MacNaughton. I can see it happening.

Originally Posted by Fighting Sioux 23
                    2) Make the Final Five Championship Game - Assuming this team gets a #1 or #2 seed, they should have no issues with getting to the Final Five and winning a game. I would love to see this squad four-peat, and I think they actually will. That being said, winning the Final Five is probably a bit too much to expect from any team, so I will leave it at playing for the title.
                    Obviously, this is still a long ways away, and difficult to really make a good prediction. However, if UND can get one of the top two seeds, they should be able to make it to the Final Five title game.

I agree – very doable but as with the Frozen Four, anything can happen. It could matter Pairwise, but a Final Five title should guarantee a #1 seed in the national tourny.

3) Make the NCAA Tournament - This is almost a no-brainer, but shouldn't be overlooked. This team is talented, and they should be able to garner a Top seed if they play up to expectations.
                    Subpar results in non-conference play may bar this squad from getting a #1 seed. However, UND is currently a solid #2 seed, and with a strong second half of the season, they should be able to at least maintain that position. If the cards fall right, they may be able to get a top seed. I haven't done much analysis of the PWR just yet, but I would imagine if North Dakota went on a good run and went something along the lines of 19-3 or 18-4, it may be enough to get a #1 seed. After UND got a #1 seed last year, I'll never say never until it's mathematically impossible.

Given recent results, making the tourny looks like a lock. If they go 19-3 or 18-4 I don’t see how they wouldn’t get a number 1 seed. To get to those results, it would mean wins against several ranked teams – Denver, Minny, UNO, MSUM, SCSU.

4) Frozen Four Appearance - This is a bit of a stretch for an expectation because the NCAA Tournament is so unpredictable, but I think North Dakota has the talent and ability to make it back to the Frozen Four this season. Anything less would be somewhat of a disappointment, so I threw it in the expectations category.
                    I still see this as an expectation. North Dakota struggled at times early in the season, but they have really played well over the last 3-4 weeks. They will need to continue to improve if they want to make some noise in the NCAAs, but that being said, a 10-5-3 start is pretty good given our recent history. Consequently, I still say that not making the Frozen Four would be somewhat of a disappointment.

Since I have already put them in the tourny, why not the FF? The 5 losses have come against teams currently ranked 3, 6, 16, and 2 unranked (although CC was ranked 18 when they played). The biggest roadblock that I see is the regional they end up playing in. They don’t seem to get any help from the schedule makers.

5) 25-28 wins - Our OOC schedule is a little more difficult this year (2 up in Alaska, BU, @ Notre Dame, Holy Cross), but we should be able to win 5 of those games. Throw in that in the WCHA 1st or 2nd place usually is somewhere around 34-40 points (equivalent to 17-20 wins). Throw in a first round WCHA win and a win at the Final Five, and that gets us to 25-28 wins.
                    We're 10-5-3...not too bad for this squad. There are 18 more regular season games, a first round WCHA series, potentially 3 Final Five games, and up to 4 possible NCAA Tournament games. That means we have anywhere from 20-28 games remaining on the season. As stated above, I think this squad wins 11-12 of our remaining regular season conference games. Add to that 2 wins over Holy Cross (who is very capable of pushing UND and winning a game), a first round WCHA series win, and at least 1 win at the Final Five, that equals 16-17 more victories. If the squad also makes the frozen four, that would push that up to 18-19 victories. Basically, 25-28 wins is completely within the range that I think this team can accomplish.

Agreed – 12 conference wins, 2 wins against Holy Cross, 3 wins in conference playoffs, at least 1 win at the Final Five, 2 regional wins, and……

So then, what equals exceeds expectations?

1) Winning the MacNaughton
                    2) Winning the Final Five
                    3) Winning the National Championship
                    4) 30+ wins
                    The MacNaughton is certainly reachable with 39-41 points, and nobody on this squad has ever lost a WCHA Final Five game, so that is certainly within the realm of possibility. The National Championship is possible, but a lot of that will come down to luck, hot goalies, health, and who is playing the best at the right time. North Dakota should at least be in the mix when it comes to March and hopefully April. As for the 30+ wins, that is certainly possible as well. If North Dakota accomplishes the first three goals to exceed expectations, they will likely win somewhere in the neighborhood of 31-33 games.

It has been a lot of fun to watch this team progress throughout the season. If Hakstol's track record continues, it should be very exciting to watch this team in the second half, win a lot of games, raise a couple of trophies, and maybe...just maybe win that elusive National Championship. However it shakes out, I'm sure we'll all have fun watching the games.

Anyway, how are everyone else's expectations coming along? Where do you see this team going in the second half?

I see them going to Pittsburgh!!

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
                      1. It looks like SCSU may sneak into the mix here as well, but at the midpoint, North Dakota has the best winning % in the conference. The schedule in the second half is a little more difficult with trips to Minnesota, Omaha, Denver, and Mankato (all currently top-half teams), but this team is playing well enough that a top 2 finish is very possible. IMO, this team can win 5 of 8 on the road, and get 6-7 out of 8 at home (CC, SCSU, Wisconsin, Bemidji), which would put them at 39-41 points. Since the WCHA switched to a 28 game league schedule in 1996-1997, 41 points has been good for a top 2 finish every season (and good enough to win the league 4 of the past 8 years). 39 has been good enough for a top 2 finish in each of the past 7 years (and good enough to win the league twice in that time span). The key series will likely be early in the 2nd half against Minnesota and SCSU. Take more than 4 points combined there, and North Dakota has a very good chance at hoisting the MacNaughton.
                      If they are gonna get any from UNO February 8th & 9th, UND is definitely going to earn it.

Besides the fact that UNO does not suck, they are going to play in front of, by college standards, massive, mostly hostile crowds, although I have been told that North Dakota is bringing a lot of fans down that weekend.

Those two games are going to probably, collectively, be played in front of more than 40,000 people. The Friday night game is on national television and and will likely be UNO's "sell out" night (that's the rumor). The Centurylink Center seats 17,100 for hockey (despite anything you have read or heard anywhere else, otherwise). Between North Dakota fans in town for the game the following day and the interest here in playing you guys, in general, my guess is that the school single game attendance record of 16,138 set against Minnesota-Duluth last season goes down on Friday night the 8th. The next day, both teams are playing the first ever outdoor game for either school and that game will probably be in front of 25,000+ (man, I am torn about the weather I am hoping for). As of the first week of November, more than 7000 seats had been sold for the outdoor game and it has gotten exactly zero pub here so far of any consequence as yet. Right now, the Omaha Lancers (who are the undercard that day against the Lincoln Stars earlier in the afternoon) are doing a far better publicity push than UNO is for this game. By the way, that game is a blood war and well worth seeing. Boston College Forward Matt Gaudreau's (Hockey East Player of the Month for November) brother Johnny Gaudreau (and BC commit himself) plays for the Lancers, not to mention Lancer defenseman Tucker Poolman, who is a North Dakota commit.

All of this is predicated on UNO not laying any eggs between now and then.
                      Last edited by Red Cows; 12-21-2012, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                        Shane Gersich commints to UND. Another great pick up by Hakstol.
                        http://www.grandforksherald.com/even...cle/id/252137/

arguably the top uncommitted 1996-born player in the country
                        Gersich’s father, Frank, and uncles Neal, Aaron and Paul Broten, all suited up for the University of Minnesota.
                        I really, really wanted to play for that coaching staff — that’s what it came down to
                        Not overly impressed with Minnesota's coaching staff ... smart kid.
                        "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post
                          http://www.grandforksherald.com/even...cle/id/252137/

lots of hair-pulling going on over at GPL...

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post
                            Not sure that a comment that he really wanted to play for UND's staff translates into "not overly impressed with Minnesota's coaching staff."

Assuming the young man develops into the player we hope he will be (still pretty young), it will be a nice job by Hak and the rest of the staff pulling him out of the Cities. UND hasn't traditionally tried to concentrate it's recruiting in the metro area, but we have pulled a few nuggets out of there over the years. It was the opinion of a few of their fans that the move to the BTHC would make it that much harder for UND, DU, CC, etc..., to recruit there. Nabbing some MN "legacy" recruits like Shane is a nice pick up.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                              Not sure that a comment that he really wanted to play for UND's staff translates into "not overly impressed with Minnesota's coaching staff."

Assuming the young man develops into the player we hope he will be (still pretty young), it will be a nice job by Hak and the rest of the staff pulling him out of the Cities. UND hasn't traditionally tried to concentrate it's recruiting in the metro area, but we have pulled a few nuggets out of there
                              over the years. It was the opinion of a few of their fans that the move to the BTHC would make it that much harder for UND, DU, CC, etc..., to recruit
                              there. Nabbing some MN "legacy" recruits like Shane is a nice pick up.
                              Things can change but currently the chance to play in a very strong-looking group of teams in the NCHC might sway a few? The B10 has some very traditionally strong programs, but right now the teams as a group in the B10 are not as strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                                If they are gonna get any from UNO February 8th & 9th, UND is definitely going to earn it.

Besides the fact that UNO does not suck, they are going to play in front of, by college standards, massive, mostly hostile crowds, although I have been told that North Dakota is bringing a lot of fans down that weekend.

Those two games are going to probably, collectively, be played in front of more than 40,000 people. The Friday night game is on national television and and will likely be UNO's "sell out" night (that's the rumor). The Centurylink Center seats 17,100 for hockey (despite anything you have read or heard anywhere else, otherwise). Between North Dakota fans in town for the game the following day and the interest here in playing you guys, in general, my guess is that the school single game attendance record of 16,138 set against Minnesota-Duluth last season goes down on Friday night the 8th. The next day, both teams are playing the first ever outdoor game for either school and that game will probably be in front of 25,000+ (man, I am torn about the weather I am hoping for). As of the first week of November, more than 7000 seats had been sold for the outdoor game and it has gotten exactly zero pub here so far of any consequence as yet. Right now, the Omaha Lancers (who are the undercard that day against the Lincoln Stars earlier in the afternoon) are doing a far better publicity push than UNO is for this game. By the way, that game is a blood war and well worth seeing. Boston College Forward Matt Gaudreau's (Hockey East Player of the Month for November) brother Johnny Gaudreau (and BC commit himself) plays for the Lancers, not to mention Lancer defenseman Tucker Poolman, who is a North Dakota commit.

All of this is predicated on UNO not laying any eggs between now and then.
                                I think you have the Gaudreau's mixed up. Johnny currently plays for BC.
                                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                                Originally posted by Quizmire
                                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Working...
                                X