This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2012-13

Just to point out, Colgate swept a road weekend last year and won a regular season tournament in the process. Colgate beat Robert Morris and Nebraska Omaha to win the Mututal of Omaha Stampede to start last season.

Comment

The PP has been on fire the last few games...believe it or not up to eighteenth nationally at just about twenty per cent. I guess having four or five frosh that have played together before on the PP is paying dividends. Happy with our start so far and still believe"We will only get better".

We are an incredible six for ten and seven for twelve on the PP in our last two and three games !!!!
      Last edited by sshablak; 12-08-2012, 03:27 PM.
      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by 'Gate Radio View Post
        Just to point out, Colgate swept a road weekend last year and won a regular season tournament in the process. Colgate beat Robert Morris and Nebraska Omaha to win the Mututal of Omaha Stampede to start last season.
        That is true, but given that the first game was neutral, it's not a true road sweep, as in beating one or two teams both playing in their home barns.
        Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
          I second the welcome back, Magoo...haven't said much myself - perhaps to the joy of some - but simply have been watching...we certainly can't be disappointed after 17 games, and even if we lose tonight the first half of the season has been positive. Would agree that more consistent goaltending will be crucial during the second half of the season; maybe Finney is the answer. The frosh seem to be as advertised and it's great to finally see a Colgate team that can put three scoring lines on the ice. Other than Q-Pac it seems anybody can beat anybody, so stealing a game or two will be crucial to a top four (or even a top eight) finish. Union's been slumping, Yale got blasted by RPI last night (the engineers seems to have Yale's number in New Haven), Cornell can be beaten, etc. I'd like to see our fourth line improve their plus/minus #s, but perhaps that is being a little picky. Going Forward??? Another class that is even close to this year's frosh would set us up for a pretty good 3 to 4-year run because DV will get the results on the ice. All in all, this is a team with talent and speed and a good-sized and mobile defense. PLEASE no serious injuries...I'm pretty positive going into the new year and it seems that every time we're picked eighth or ninth in the league, we surprise. My New Year's wish??? More fannies in the seats at Starr, especially from our undergraduates...these young kids deserve it
          Not picky at all, your 4th line comment. Their job when they go out there is basically to bring energy and make sure they don't get scored on. As simple as that.
          Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

Comment

Sweep 5-2 !!!!!

Comment

Incredible job by the team this weekend. What a third period! Expecting great things in 2013.
              Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

Comment

So last night I made the 100-mile drive to Amherst to watch Colgate take on UMass, and despite having to travel home in some intense fog, it was worth it.

The Mullins Center is a really nice venue. I almost want to compare it with the Dunkin' Donuts center in Providence or even the Times Union Center in Albany. Full seating bowls, great sight lines, and concession stands all around the full perimeter of the concourse. It's the 2nd best arena in Hockey East only behind the Tsongas Center (UMass-Lowell's home venue).

As for the game, well I swear I was the only one there rooting for Colgate. Practically everyone I saw there was rooting for the Minutemen! They even had a good turnout of students that were into the game. Anyways, after the first period I thought we were in for an uphill battle. We looked a bit flat and UMass appeared to have built on the momentum they created in the 3rd period of Friday night's game. It was no surprise that they were up 2-1 after one period.

In the second period, it looked like we just weren't getting the bounces that we needed. Joe Wilson got mugged on a shorthanded breakaway and no call. We had some trouble staying out of the box but killed every penalty in that period. Still, we were down 2-1.

Then the 3rd period. Oh, what an exciting 20 minutes. We tie it, then take the lead, then score an insurance goal, THEN score again which sent the fans to the exits! Yes, we had that comeback against Dartmouth this year and against Union in the 2011 ECAC Quarterfinals but this is the first time I've seen us come-from-behind in person! How "sweep" it is!

Also, this is the first time since the 2005-06 season (Feb. 24-25 of 2006 to be exact) that we swept a road series. However, that was a sweep of Union and RPI. This was a road sweep of the same team, something that hasn't happened since the 2004-05 season (October 8-9 of 2004 to be exact, when Colgate swept Ferris State on the road)!

This will probably be my last post here until after the break. Happy Holidays!
                Colgate '09

Comment

Certainly a nice wrap to the first part of the season; looks like good things could be in store for 2013. Great to see the frosh acclimating so quickly to the college game.

And great production from seniors Bourdon and Bartliff who I believe are tops in the team in plus/minus. Not to mention scoring extremely clutch goals all season.

Lastly, I think there is a chance that Colgate could have 7 ten goal scorers this season. Six guys have 6 or more and one of the Spink twins has four. Now that is balance we haven't seen around here in forever.

The only thing that concerns me is one of the things Green Coat is constantly observing--we are a bit thin on depth. We really need to stay healthy for the second half and the sky is the limit . . .

Comment

Also, according to Heisenberg we signed two more forwards for next year bringing a total class at the moment of eight.

Comment

Extremely pleased to see us sweep a HE team. Many of us speculated in Sept-Oct. about the learning curve of the frosh, and what to expect in the way of growing pains this season. While there are obviously tough games ahead, could this two-game set with UMASS be the turning point in terms of experience for the team as a whole? It looks like we are building steam for the second half; in some ways I wish there were not a break right now and that we could keep the old mo going.

Big picture thoughts: We have played 18 games - one more than Q-pac and many more than most of our ECAC rivals (Yale-11; Cornell - 11; Dartmouth - 11; Harvard - 8, etc.) This accumulated playing time by the frosh - as well as the rest of the team - gives us a larger body of playing time & experience that should pay off over the long season (barring injury). By March our reactions to game situations should be instinctual, our knowledge of the system deeply imbedded. I'm thinking we look pretty good right now and about on schedule for a good run.
                      COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
                        Extremely pleased to see us sweep a HE team. Many of us speculated in Sept-Oct. about the learning curve of the frosh, and what to expect in the way of growing pains this season. While there are obviously tough games ahead, could this two-game set with UMASS be the turning point in terms of experience for the team as a whole? It looks like we are building steam for the second half; in some ways I wish there were not a break right now and that we could keep the old mo going.

Big picture thoughts: We have played 18 games - one more than Q-pac and many more than most of our ECAC rivals (Yale-11; Cornell - 11; Dartmouth - 11; Harvard - 8, etc.) This accumulated playing time by the frosh - as well as the rest of the team - gives us a larger body of playing time & experience that should pay off over the long season (barring injury). By March our reactions to game situations should be instinctual, our knowledge of the system deeply imbedded. I'm thinking we look pretty good right now and about on schedule for a good run.
                        Not to mention our 11th-ranked, 21% power play. And to think it started really anemic.
                        Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

Comment

Great, great series for Colgate. Long time since I remember the frosh making such an impact. Think the change in goal was also a necessary turning point and a spark that was needed. 'Gate #22 in the polls...Ho! Ho! Ho! Can't bet against the Raiders in '13 :-)
                          C O L G A T E
                          2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                          1990 NCAA FINALS
                          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                          ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                          ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by TchrBill View Post
                            Great, great series for Colgate. Long time since I remember the frosh making such an impact. Think the change in goal was also a necessary turning point and a spark that was needed. 'Gate #22 in the polls...Ho! Ho! Ho! Can't bet against the Raiders in '13 :-)
                            And believe it or not, even though it's still very early, currently 15th in the PWR, which means we'd be getting the last at large. At 9-7-2, that's a testament tour SOS, which is currently 15th.
                            Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

Comment

Flying under the radar....shhhhh !

Comment

Ranked #20 tied with Harvard !

Comment

Working...
                                X