Aurora University wants to add D3 hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aurora University wants to add D3 hockey

Aurora University (western Chicago suburbs) has just added an ACHA D3 team. Sounds like it's just now being thrown together. Nothing impressive in the article until you get to

Ryan Buchanan has been tapped as the first head coach of the team, which will begin as a member of the American Collegiate Hockey Association (Division III). Buchanan will direct the program with the eventual goal of joining the university's additional 20 varsity sports as an NCAA Division III program. Buchanan also serves as an assistant baseball coach and the event manager at AU
    A different article in the local paper indicates their timeframe for establishing the NCAA D3 team is about two years. So far it's all very easy to say that's what you want to do. They are certainly a long way off. But it's nice to know there's interest and support. Can't argue with possibly doubling the NCAA hockey in Illinois in one swoop.

Aurora University announces plans to add men's hockey
    Last edited by slowe; 09-10-2012, 11:32 AM. Reason: Forgot the link

Re: Aurora University wants to add D3 hockey

The more the merrier in Div III hockey - I hope it comes about.... is there a women's program to add too?
    Steve
    Penn State Class of '95
    Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Not sure, but so far I haven't seen anything of a women's hockey team. After some reading it looks like they are also starting a women's lacrosse team in the spring of 2013. Maybe that's already there to balance a possible new men's hockey team? Or the other possibility is the men's team would come first. Based on the articles it looks pretty last minute to be putting the team together. Maybe they'll get the men's team up and running then focus on a women's? But again, that's my speculation. No mention of a women's team so far. Here's another article with a little more info.

Hockey: AU’s new club team begins play Nov. 10

Comment

So who would be their regional rivals? All the western teams I hear about are in Wisconsin, Michigan and Minnesota. Isn't Lake Forest the only Illinois school in D3 hockey?

Comment

I want to know what league they're going to play in. The MCHA is presumably full, at 10. And I'm guessing, without looking at a map, that they're out of the MIAC footprint as well.
          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
            I want to know what league they're going to play in. The MCHA is presumably full, at 10. And I'm guessing, without looking at a map, that they're out of the MIAC footprint as well.
            Affiliate with the WIAC???? They're going to be desperate for that AQ.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

That still leaves them one short.
              FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                That still leaves them one short.
                One short is one less than two short . The WIAC would then only need to convince one MCHA school to bolt, or to get one WIAC school to add the sport.
                2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  Affiliate with the WIAC???? They're going to be desperate for that AQ.
                  This would seem to be logical...as least until Aurora becomes competitive.
                  Steve
                  Penn State Class of '95
                  Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

On the off chance Aurora University actually does create a D3 team, most logical to me would be the MCHA as I'm sure they'd want an in state rival in Lake Forest. Best fit geographically anyway. But yeah, with both Norbert and Scholastica joining it puts that conference at 10. That sounds like it's getting a little crowded... Realistically where else would Aurora go though? The WIAC did offer Norbert and Scholastica options as an affiliate member, but would they do so for a brand new program?
                    Last edited by slowe; 09-11-2012, 10:41 AM. Reason: Answered own question

Comment

Originally posted by slowe View Post
                      On the off chance Aurora University actually does create a D3 team, most logical to me would be the MCHA as I'm sure they'd want an in state rival in Lake Forest. Best fit geographically anyway. But yeah, with both Norbert and Scholastica joining it puts that conference at 10. That sounds like it's getting a little crowded... Realistically where else would Aurora go though? The WIAC did offer Norbert and Scholastica options as an affiliate member, but would they do so for a brand new program?
                      Because a brand new program wouldn't beat them every year.
                      Go Cards: win or lose, The Better Team.
                      A Lot of (Sometimes Tainted) SUNYAC Championships
                      A Handful of ECAC West Championships
                      A Number of NCAA Appearances, Including Several Trips to the Final Four, Though Some of Them Don't Count
                      Some National Championships:
                      Women's (THIS YEAR, LAST YEAR, A Couple Years Back, '08, '07)
                      Men's (Wow Look at the Time Pass, A While before That)

Comment

Originally posted by slowe View Post
                        Since budget $ restrictions was the "published" reason given by the WIAC for withdrawing from the NCHA. I don't think they would add a team in Illinois.
                        High travel miles and $$$$...
                        SNC Men:
                        Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
                        NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
                        SNC Women:
                        O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by pete99race View Post
                          Since budget $ restrictions was the "published" reason given by the WIAC for withdrawing from the NCHA. I don't think they would add a team in Illinois.
                          Considering how spot-on he was with everything else, maybe that Dennis guy can come back and get us all up to speed on this one.
                          A decade of excuses.

MSOE RAIDER HOCKEY!!

Comment

Originally posted by pete99race View Post
                            I don't know the geography, but I do recall spending a miserable night in some Wisconsin burg that was just an hour or so away from Chicago... I was driving from Seattle to VT, and wanted to rest up before going through Chicago at 4AM to beat the traffic. The Motel was part of the Bates chain...
                            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                              I don't know the geography, but I do recall spending a miserable night in some Wisconsin burg that was just an hour or so away from Chicago... I was driving from Seattle to VT, and wanted to rest up before going through Chicago at 4AM to beat the traffic. The Motel was part of the Bates chain...
                              at least there was no shower scene.......or was there??

Comment

Working...
                              X