Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UAA Seawolves 2012-2013 Thread "the Last Hurrah"

Originally posted by Suze View Post
    I don't have a problem with the idea of a polar bear, but those costumes you have are almost as ugly as our Seawolf.
    Are not.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

At least those others look like a wolf and not a reptile. Our mascot is a laughing stock if you ask other fans.
      You definitely got a point there. It looks like something that nature would have left on the evolutionary cutting room floor. No wonder there were problems a few years back trying to get someone to don that costume (if I remember correctly). UAA needs to pull the plug on this monstrosity and start fresh. Maybe by putting the 'wolf' back in Seawolves? I'm seriously considering starting a petition to have them redo it. Not that it will guarantee them more success on the ice, but having a Seawolves mascot they can be proud of would only help the public's perception of them as a team.
      Last edited by Alaskana; 10-10-2012, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaskana View Post
        You definitely got a point there. It looks like something that nature would have left on the evolutionary cutting room floor. No wonder there were problems a few years back trying to get someone to don that costume (if I remember correctly). UAA needs to pull the plug on this monstrosity and start fresh. Maybe by putting the 'wolf' back in Seawolves? I'm seriously considering starting a petition to have them redo it. Not that it will guarantee them more success on the ice, but having a Seawolves mascot they can be proud of would only help the public's perception of them as a team.
        Totally agree, I'll sign it and so will everyone in our section!
        Originally Posted by aparch
        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Totally agree, I'll sign it and so will everyone in our section!
          Thanks, Suze. I was even thinking that UAA art majors could get involved and design the concept art for the new mascot costume.
          Why not get those students some real world experience and help the Seawolves at the same time. It would be a win/win situation for students,
          the university and fans. And while we're at it, how about getting UAA marketing students involved in crafting a new marketing/PR campaign for Seawolves
          athletics? Maybe I'm mistaken and this is already happening, but if not again it would be great real life experience for students. I know that most bigger universities already have paid marketing/pr departments but it seems like UAA could use a boost. In any case, most of this is wishful thinking, but the petition I think isdoable.

I'll try to write up a draft petition and will pass it on to you for review before I submit it.
          Last edited by Alaskana; 10-11-2012, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Thanks, Suze. I was even thinking that UAA art majors could get involved and design the concept art for the new mascot costume.
            Why not get those students some real world experience and help the Seawolves at the same time. It would be a win/win situation for students,
            the university and fans. And while we're at it, how about getting UAA marketing students involved in crafting a new marketing/PR campaign for Seawolves
            athletics? Maybe I'm mistaken and this is already happening, but if not again it would be great real life experience for students. I know that most bigger universities already have paid marketing/pr departments but it seems like UAA could use a boost. In any case, most of this is wishful thinking, but the petition I think isdoable.

I'll try to write up a draft petition and will pass it on to you for review before I submit it.
            I'm thinking the students may have had a hand in designing the current Seawolf? Not sure about that though. I like the old wolf mascot, but when I asked Cobb if they could bring him back his reply was "there's nothing to bring back", so I'm not sure what happened to it.
            I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

The only music that doesn't belong in hockey is country. Leave inbred and hick out of a classy environment, leave country music in buildings with farm animal excrement. Chris Brown is Hip Hop/R&B, not rap, and it was just an example of newer/modern music. If there was anything I could eliminate from the d.j.'s list it would be those terrible sound bites like "awesome" and "sit down in your seat", and that zamboni song. Get some new material for crying out loud!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by shootdontpass View Post
                The only music that doesn't belong in hockey is country. Leave inbred and hick out of a classy environment, leave country music in buildings with farm animal excrement. Chris Brown is Hip Hop/R&B, not rap, and it was just an example of newer/modern music. If there was anything I could eliminate from the d.j.'s list it would be those terrible sound bites like "awesome" and "sit down in your seat", and that zamboni song. Get some new material for crying out loud!!!!!
                If you model your music to the average age of UAA fans you should be playing Glen Dorsey's big band music.

Comment

Originally posted by shootdontpass View Post
                  You apparently don't realize that there is a massive overlap of "hockey" and "country" in western Canada, which is, I believe, where your team recruits many of its players.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                    You apparently don't realize that there is a massive overlap of "hockey" and "country" in western Canada, which is, I believe, where your team recruits many of its players.
                    You took the words out of my mouth

Anyway, folks if you reallly have issues with Music and our Mascot, please tell the AD's (I'm not talking Cobb, but the ones under him) the more who complain to them face to face the more likely the issues can be resolved.
                    Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Originally posted by birdman View Post
                      If you model your music to the average age of UAA fans you should be playing Glen Dorsey's big band music.
                      10/10
                      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

At least they got rid of that embarrassing blogger that they were forcing everybody to read. So they are doing something!

Comment

I'm thinking the students may have had a hand in designing the current Seawolf? Not sure about that though. I like the old wolf mascot, but when I asked Cobb if they could bring him back his reply was "there's nothing to bring back", so I'm not sure what happened to it.
                          That would be cool if they did have a hand in it. Interesting about what Cobb said, wonder what they did with the costume? Out of curiosity I found this interesting article about the history of the logo from 'The Northern Light' campus newspaper:

http://www.thenorthernlight.org/2010...f-the-seawolf/

I actually like the logo of the Seawolf as a wolf merged with a wave (third down from the top). It would be cool if they could bring that one back and derive a new, more wolf/less reptile suit from that. Also I had no idea UAA used to have a sourdough as a mascot, seems more fitting for UAF.
                          Last edited by Alaskana; 10-11-2012, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                            At least they got rid of that embarrassing blogger that they were forcing everybody to read. So they are doing something!
                            Yup, because nothing says progress like severing ties to the most popular Seawolves blog on the Internet. ;-)

Comment

Found a picture of the old costume, definitely more wolf like:

http://carlauer.photoshelter.com/image/I0000R7ZdFs8wLH0.
                              Last edited by Alaskana; 10-11-2012, 03:02 PM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

Found a picture of the old costume, definitely more wolf like:

http://carlauer.photoshelter.com/image/I0000R7ZdFs8wLH0.
                                Oh my gosh, SO much better. Not only is the new one ugly but what are those stupid muscle pads on his legs? I can't believe the students actually like the mascot we have now. I'd love to hear their input.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Working...
                                X