2012-13 Incoming Freshman Classes Write-Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    I don't see any insults in what I said there.
    Wasn't referring to that post in particular. Are you denying that you have thrown some pretty crude insults my way?

Comment

• Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
      I brought this over from the other thread "he who must not be named" ruined:
      Wasn't really funny there either.

Comment

• Re: 2012-13 Incoming Freshman Classes Write-Up

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
        Wasn't really funny there either.
        *****http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSjZbL_RqJdx-cEc3ygQ-8riqk8qbQEC5Sz-GfvXxUOrLysnWl&t=1******
        "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
        Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
        The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
        Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

• Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
          *****http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSjZbL_RqJdx-cEc3ygQ-8riqk8qbQEC5Sz-GfvXxUOrLysnWl&t=1******
          Clearly you need one after that joke crashed and burned.

Comment

• Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
            Clearly you need one after that joke crashed and burned.
            There is something in this thread that crashed and burned, but it wasn't that joke.
            "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
            -Gallagher

R.I.P.
            Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
            Grandma ~ Jan 2004
            Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
            Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

i doubt you will find any more talented a player than taylor cammarata. most points as a 16 year old ever in the USHL- and outscored nathan mackinnon when they were teammates at shattuck st marys. hopefully a 4 year guy due to his size...

Comment

• Originally posted by jerryj View Post
                i doubt you will find any more talented a player than taylor cammarata. most points as a 16 year old ever in the USHL- and outscored nathan mackinnon when they were teammates at shattuck st marys. hopefully a 4 year guy due to his size...
                I couldn't agree more. I'd take him over any other player coming into college hockey next year. I might be slightly biased tough
                @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

I actually have a hard time putting the gophers in the top ten recruiting class this year

Next year, they are a top three class, very possible #1

Comment

• Originally posted by thetruthhurts View Post
                    I actually have a hard time putting the gophers in the top ten recruiting class this year

Next year, they are a top three class, very possible #1
                    I really think Mike Reilly and Brady Skjei are going to be good, but I agree with you. There are recruiting classes not listed that I would probably put ahead of Minnesota's this year as well. Most notably, in my opinion, Wisconsin's.
                    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                      I really think Mike Reilly and Brady Skjei are going to be good, but I agree with you. There are recruiting classes not listed that I would probably put ahead of Minnesota's this year as well. Most notably, in my opinion, Wisconsin's.
                      I think it is a stretch to say UW's is better this year. Reilly and Skjei are superior defenseman to either Wittchow or Schulze. That's not even a debate.

Connor Reilly far outproduced Zulinick in the BCHL... hell, even Ryan Reilly outproduced Zulinick last season. I grant you that both of the Reillys are older than Zulinick and that certainly plays a role (although Connor had about a 40 pt USHL season a year before)... but the point is you can't say he is really any kind of advantage for UW compared to them. I'd even be willing to debate that if you put Michaelson in the BCHL, he would have been in the same ball park statistically as Zulinick and they are more similar in age.

No doubt Kerdiles is the best forward recruit this year for either club but when you look at the advantages I laid out above, I think your comment can easily be debated.
                      University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
                        I think it is a stretch to say UW's is better this year. Reilly and Skjei are superior defenseman to either Wittchow or Schulze. That's not even a debate.

Connor Reilly far outproduced Zulinick in the BCHL... hell, even Ryan Reilly outproduced Zulinick last season. I grant you that both of the Reillys are older than Zulinick and that certainly plays a role (although Connor had about a 40 pt USHL season a year before)... but the point is you can't say he is really any kind of advantage for UW compared to them. I'd even be willing to debate that if you put Michaelson in the BCHL, he would have been in the same ball park statistically as Zulinick and they are more similar in age.

No doubt Kerdiles is the best forward recruit this year for either club but when you look at the advantages I laid out above, I think your comment can easily be debated.
                        I don't know (or care) who has a better class, but I will add debating points is a sketchy argument, especially when considering the Penticton players.

7 of the top 9 scorers in the BCHL were Penticton players. There's a residual effect here. There were 9 kids from Penticton (1st place team) that outscored the leading scorer on Salmon Arm (15th place team). You're not exactly dealing apples to apples here.

If you put Jack Connolly on Alaska Anchorage who's leading scorer had 17 points, does he score 60 points and win the Hobey? No, not even close.

I'm far from a genius, but I do know that there's more too it than simply comparing points across the board when trying to project how good a player is going to be.

How many points does Zulinick put up if he's playing for Penticton? Who knows, but I know it's more than the 66 he had with Salmon Arm.
                        Last edited by Chuck Schwartz; 09-07-2012, 01:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                          I don't know (or care) who has a better class, but I will add debating points is a sketchy argument, especially when considering the Penticton players.

7 of the top 9 scorers in the BCHL were Penticton players. There's a residual effect here. There were 9 kids from Penticton (1st place team) that outscored the leading scorer on Salmon Arm (15th place team). You're not exactly dealing apples to apples here.

If you put Jack Connolly on Alaska Anchorage who's leading scorer had 17 points, does he score 60 points and win the Hobey? No, not even close.

I'm far from a genius, but I do know that there's more too it than simply comparing points across the board when trying to project how good a player is going to be.

How many points does Zulinick put up if he's playing for Penticton? Who knows, but I know it's more than the 66 he had with Salmon Arm.
                          And we all know the BCHL plays very little defense. It's an offensive league and I have said for some time now a players numbers from that league don't mean a whole hell of alot to me. Not taking anything away from a kid who has great numbers from there it's just my 2 cents.
                          Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
                            Hammy, I'm your huckleberry......

Reilly vs Schultz

Both players are lefty, similar in size, 93 birth years and what I would catorgize as "skilled defenseman". Both players will struggle with the physicality of the game due to their size.

Schultz is a excellent skater, the best of all of 93 birth years from MN, with Reilly not even in the top five. Ben Marshall, a young 92 is also excellent skater, with explosive starts. Schultz is a better skater than Marshall, but lacks those first two steps.

Reilly has mad, mad hand skills and offensively is very creative with a hockey sense that is off the charts. He has the best hands skills of all the 93's from Minnesota.

Schultz will be the better defender in 5 on 5 due to his skating and is very capable of running the point on the power play. I also think Schultz will do a better job jump starting the transition game with the 1st pass.

Reilly will be the better power play defenseman due to his superior offensive hand skills, creativity and hockey sense.

Up next, Skjei vs Whittchow comparison. Got to do some work now, I follow up his afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                              I'll give you that there is a team difference. Not to mention, I've never been big on stat comparisons for the reasons you mention. But the reality is there was a healthy disparity and while you can say it was team difference, it also isn't quite that simple either when C. Reilly was pretty much their leader most of the year until his knee flared up. The kid proved he could score in the USHL for a rather substandard SF team the year before. A much tougher league. Probably would have been a top 15 to 20 scorer in that league this past year had he and his brothers gone that route.

I really don't expect any Gopher frosh forward to do much this year. The team is too stocked up front to expect them to get much prime time in the scoring roles. I doubt he'll have any more than 15 to 20 points this year simply because the Gophers won't need that given their top two lines are essentially filled with very good returning players.
                              University of Minnesota

Comment

Originally posted by thetruthhurts View Post
                                Hammy, I'm your huckleberry......

Reilly vs Schultz

Both players are lefty, similar in size, 93 birth years and what I would catorgize as "skilled defenseman". Both players will struggle with the physicality of the game due to their size.

Schultz is a excellent skater, the best of all of 93 birth years from MN, with Reilly not even in the top five. Ben Marshall, a young 92 is also excellent skater, with explosive starts. Schultz is a better skater than Marshall, but lacks those first two steps.

Reilly has mad, mad hand skills and offensively is very creative with a hockey sense that is off the charts. He has the best hands skills of all the 93's from Minnesota.

Schultz will be the better defender in 5 on 5 due to his skating and is very capable of running the point on the power play. I also think Schultz will do a better job jump starting the transition game with the 1st pass.

Reilly will be the better power play defenseman due to his superior offensive hand skills, creativity and hockey sense.

Up next, Skjei vs Whittchow comparison. Got to do some work now, I follow up his afternoon.
                                I think it is clear who the guys who get paid to evaluate talent think and I tend to agree after years of watching both. Particularly Schulze (you seem to think you know his game but can't spell his name?) last year and in HS at Hill.

Reilly is clearly a player on the rise and is the better player. His defense is very much underrated as he showed by his performance at the US Camp (where was your boy at the US Camp if he's such an equal?). It's not all offense with him. It just tends to overshadow his smart position play. I don't disagree that the physical maturity will need work though.

Feel free to write all you want about either. It won't change the reality of what pretty much every paid talent evaluator will tell you.
                                Last edited by Hammy; 09-07-2012, 10:15 AM.
                                University of Minnesota

Comment

Working...
                                X