This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Women's Hockey 2012-2013

I apologize in advance for feeling the need to do this...

IT'S GAME DAY!!!!

Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
    Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
    Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

So how many players, if any, have scored a hat trick in their first NCAA game?

Comment

Originally posted by PPC Fan View Post
        So how many players, if any, have scored a hat trick in their first NCAA game?
        Not sure, but last year, Cornell's Jillian Saulner got 4 in her first, which also happened to be against Colgate.

Comment

I dunno, kind of hard to tell too much except for the quite obvious fact that Brandt is apparently pretty good. The Gophers dressed only 11 forwards and Frost rolled out the three lines as listed on collegehockeystats for the first couple of times through. After Kessel and Frischmann made appearances (I thought Kessel first appeared for the power play 7:52 in, Frischmann quite a bit before that) and with Kessel apparently able to stand up to the game's contact and with Frischmann certainly looking as good as several of the forwards who were listed on the first three lines it seemed like it was next three, next three, next three with all eleven jumbled in about as many different line combinations as that would produce with the only caveat being that the four who played center continued to play center. Kortum looked very good, I thought, and it seemed to me that as the game went along Frischmann started to see a bit more time than Downey. Bona hit a couple of posts, maybe three, I couldn't really tell on the last one if it was off her stick or a deflection. Brausen seems to be gradually getting it. The freshmen forwards other than Brandt looked at least up to the pace. The thing is there will be lots and lots of differences to that line up when Davis and Terry return.

The defense lived up to its billing, it is going to be solid. Both of the freshman McMillen and Stecklein skated well, seemed to play with poise and avoided any glaring ooops, that one is a freshman moment. Gillanders is maturing quite nicely and Megan Bozek was only the best player on the ice for nearly every shift she took. Was there someone here a couple of days ago who doubted Ramsey? Those doubts should be eased significantly.

The Finnish kid in goal looked yet again as if none shall pass.

A great start.
          Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

To be honest I was a little disappointed in the Gophers' play for a good portion of the 1st period. The passing wasn't sharp, and Colgate was doing a good job limiting our opportunities. But as the 1st period wore on and continuing into the second, the Gophers' seriously elevated their play. Colgate's goalie did her very best to keep the score reasonably close until the floodgates opened in the 3rd period, when the Gophers began to come at her in waves. As a fan it was fun to see.

Hopefully when the puck drops tomorrow the Gophs can continue right where they left off and keep the pressure on the entire 60 minutes. All of the first year players should have learned from their first D1 game experience and will skate and handle the puck with even more confidence.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              To be honest I was a little disappointed in the Gophers' play for a good portion of the 1st period. The passing wasn't sharp ...
              They've been practicing for a week. Usually they are only playing a scrimmage at this point. I was actually impressed. Noora was sharp. I thought Brausen looked good, and Mira was playing with confidence. I've seen so much worse over the years on opening night.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

It was nice to see Becky Kortum come out of the gate flying. And I wouldn't say that I had doubts about Ramsey, just that she was someone who I thought could show dramatic improvement this year.

Comment

Originally posted by mattj711 View Post
                  Not sure, but last year, Cornell's Jillian Saulner got 4 in her first, which also happened to be against Colgate.
                  Brandt hasn't managed 4 goals yet, but she does have a hat trick after one period of her second game.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                    Brandt hasn't managed 4 goals yet, but she does have a hat trick after one period of her second game.
                    That's not too shabby. It looks like she has Saulnier beat. Saulnier only managed 1 goal and 3 assists in her second game.

Comment

Originally posted by mattj711 View Post
                      That's not too shabby. It looks like she has Saulnier beat. Saulnier only managed 1 goal and 3 assists in her second game.
                      Maybe not; they changed the scoring on the first goal, so Brandt only wound up with two goals and four assists.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                        Maybe not; they changed the scoring on the first goal, so Brandt only wound up with two goals and four assists.
                        Too bad WCHA Offensive POTW and Rookie of the Week have to be two different players.
                        Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                        Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                        Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

http://www.mndaily.com/2012/09/29/go...e-begin-season
                          Minnesota Hockey

Comment

In Re: You Guys:

Aw, crap.
                            Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                            Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                            Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Moving on then, here is some idle speculation on top 9 forwards for next weekend:

Davis, Terry, Kortum, Brandt, Kessel, Lorence, Menefee, Brausen, Bona.

Brandt and Kortum both played center this weekend, Davis and Terry ended last season both playing center.

Here's a guess just for fun:

Kortum, Lorence, Brausen. They played together this weekend.
                              Brandt, Menefee, Bona. They played together this weekend.
                              Davis, Terry, Kessel. The 8-9-10 line. We saw it a little bit last season.

My guess for who will dress as the fourth line (and probably see significant playing time): Downey, Burns, Garzone. Again, they played together this weekend.

These are guesses for recreational purposes only, please NO WAGERING.
                              Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
                                Too bad WCHA Offensive POTW and Rookie of the Week have to be two different players.
                                Nah, Brandt Offensive Player of the Week and Menefee Rookie of the Week. Heck, throw Bozek in there and make it a clean sweep.

Comment

Working...
                                X