X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Women's Hockey 2012-2013

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
    Looks like Kortum is playing with Brandt-Kessel today.
    She did at times. It was probably Lorence on the Brandt line most often. Bona also played with #8 and #22, primarily late, and IMO that was the most dangerous of the three combinations. Might all become moot if #14 returns full time. On the third line, Downey may have had the majority of the shifts, but Burns had time as well.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Everyone who watched the AmericaOne stream should now go to Control Panel/Programs and Features and take this opportune moment to uninstall the Octoshape Streaming Services plug in.

I keep the install program on my desktop so that I can reinstall whenever I want to use the service.

I prefer not to have Octoshape running on my machine any time except when I need it to avail myself of the AmericaOne stream.
      What's the benefit of doing this?

Just got a new state of the art computer and am having lots of trouble posting and editing posts...the cursor usually disappears for minutes on end and then usually won't move when commanded to when it does appear.

Maybe I should start a thread about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
        What's the benefit of doing this?
        Google Octoshape.

One article of interest is a TechLifePost entry calling it an invasive enhancement.

Here's a short quote from the article: "Among other things, the ‘enhancement’ turns subscribers’ computers into relay stations, making them part of a grid to, “deliver parts of the video and audio stream to other end users of the Software,” as the Octoshape end user agreement clearly states." In short, they are using your bandwidth to "enhance" their broadcast.

I'm plenty OK with that, I guess, while I am watching the broadcast. I am not OK with the plug in constantly running in the background when I am not watching.

I use it for AmericaOne streams but then immediately uninstall it.
        Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Moving on then, here is some idle speculation on top 9 forwards for next weekend:

Davis, Terry, Kortum, Brandt, Kessel, Lorence, Menefee, Brausen, Bona.

Brandt and Kortum both played center this weekend, Davis and Terry ended last season both playing center.

Here's a guess just for fun:

Kortum, Lorence, Brausen. They played together this weekend.
          Brandt, Menefee, Bona. They played together this weekend.
          Davis, Terry, Kessel. The 8-9-10 line. We saw it a little bit last season.
          Originally posted by brookyone View Post
          I'll throw the hanging curve ball with some thoughts out of left field (seasonal clearance sale on MLB references).

With the addition of Terry and Davis and associated experimentation:

Kessel, Brandt, Bona
          Davis, Terry, Brausen
          Lorence, Kortum, Menefee
          Burns, Downey or Frischmann, Garzone
          Per those long ago musings and after enjoying a large helping of great hockey...I guess in my view these were the optimum combinations up front:

Maryanne Menefee / Hannah Brandt / Amanda Kessel

Rachael Bona / Sarah Davis / Kelly Terry

Meghan Lorence / Becky Kortum / Bethany Brausen

Jordyn Burns or Sam Downey / Katie Frischmann / Brook Garzone

CrazyDave / D2D / Goldy

Pretty good first half campaign for Kortum. Both Bona and Lorence could easily have a handful more Gs with a few more favorable bounces. Brausen as well who's skated great guns from the get go.
          Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
            CrazyDave / D2D / Goldy
            We'd be 4th line for sure if they got us a Goldy who could skate!
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              We'd be 4th line for sure if they got us a Goldy who could skate!
              I'm okay with D2D at center but Goldy is a left handed shot, no? I'd swap CrazyDave and Goldy to get them on their natural wing but otherwise that's not a bad combination.
              Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
              Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
              Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Last year at the Frozen Four, Cornell had bear mascott that looked as though he'd not had a lot of ice time at any level, including pick up. So Goldy could take such as him. But having watched his antics on the ice, I don't know that Goldy really has a head for the game -- in more ways than one.

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  Last year at the Frozen Four, Cornell had bear mascott that looked as though he'd not had a lot of ice time at any level, including pick up. So Goldy could take such as him. But having watched his antics on the ice, I don't know that Goldy really has a head for the game -- in more ways than one.
                  Goldy was at the quarterfinal at Conte in 2011 and we got him to do a "spin your head."

Despite how well the game went for BC, that was still one of the real highlights… For me personally, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                    Goldy was at the quarterfinal at Conte in 2011 and we got him to do a "spin your head."
                    Follow it up with a "Spin your body", and then the Triple-Dog-Dare of spins, the "Spin your tail". Goldy always pretends at first to be perplexed by this request. Goldy has game, just not anything that would be useful in a game.

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      Follow it up with a "Spin your body", and then the Triple-Dog-Dare of spins, the "Spin your tail". Goldy always pretends at first to be perplexed by this request. Goldy has game, just not anything that would be useful in a game.
                      Noted for future use!

How the hell would he spin his tail? I guess that's just something I'll need to see in person.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                        Let me see, I've seen Goldy on the ice against that stupid Badger, against some silly looking Wildcat (Frozen Four 2006, the cat had fur covering up its skates and didn't even have a stick), that mopey Bulldog up in Duluth, and that Bear, that I can think of, right off the top of my head.

Only the Badger has ever shown even a hint of a chance of staying with Goldy. Again at that 2006 Mariucci Arena festival I recall Bucky and Goldy having a little spirited one on one. I think the Badgers won more that year than just the NCAA title.

But, and further, here is deep double secret information, there is more than one Goldy. At women's games this year we have mostly had the Goldy who can skate only a little bit better than the the under 8 girls skating after the first period. But . . . but when we get the Goldy who CAN skate, that is Goldy I would line up on any 6th line, even with the sight issues involved with having a head that can be turned completely around.

I don't want Joe and Grant to stop, it is more fun when they are on a roll.
                        Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

I would pay good money to see good Goldy vs. good Baldwin in a good intermission competition.

My money is on Baldwin. Maybe if Goldy competed against some REAL mascots for a change you wouldn't be so high and mighty!!!11one1

Top to bottom, Hockey East's mascot battles leave no chance for a breather. Always have to be on your game. You never know when you'll have a tight center-ice-shot competition break out between mascots during intermission. You gotta keep your head on a swivel!

Good thing there aren't any mascots adept at keeping their aforementioned heads on said swivels out west.
                          Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 12-09-2012, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                            I would pay good money to see good Goldy vs. good Baldwin in a good intermission competition.
                            There was also an Eagle mascot at the FF last year. I take it that wasn't the "good" one. May have been better than the Cornell bear, but then he didn't have to support a head the size of a cage ball.

Comment

Minnesota Daily recap of this past weekend: http://www.mndaily.com/2012/12/10/go...-heading-break
                              Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                              Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                              Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

In 2005 they still let Goldy bring a puck onto the ice. I remember one of the then players being envious of Goldy's slap shot. I still see "that" Goldy from time to time watching games at Ridder.

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                                There was also an Eagle mascot at the FF last year. I take it that wasn't the "good" one. May have been better than the Cornell bear, but then he didn't have to support a head the size of a cage ball.
                                Welcome to Minnesota. We have lakes, and wild life, a couple of nice cities, a whole host of towns, some farms, and general country side. It's really pretty here, just watch out for the state bird; it likes to suck your blood. Fortunately it hibernates from Labor Day (first frost) to Memorial Day (ice out date). I'm sure you'll really love it here, why because we have a hockey habit that just won't quit, don't believe me, come and see for yourself.

Comment

Working...
                                X