X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Women's Hockey 2012-2013

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
    I am going to guess that with the new arena that Wisconsin is going to have to limit the free admission policy that has been IMHO a huge factor in their nation leading attendance figures for the last couple of years (no more every kid gets in free on Saturday and gets a free party on her birthday). I predict North Dakota will be the new leader in average home attendance.
    I might agree that North Dakota could make a run at attendence leader, but "free admission policy" is overstated at Wisconsin. While there are several of promotions getting kids in for free (which is a good thing), not all Saturdays were kids for free and there isn't a free party on birthdays.
    Plus, the savings is only $2/kid, so is that really the difference in getting a lot of families to the games?

My experience going to Minnesota games is that it is somewhat overpriced. $10 for reserved, $8 general admission $5 kids seems a little off, plus getting hosed for area parking. Nothing like having to pay $8-$10 for event parking in a near empty surface lot or ramp. I credit Wisconsin for not charging parking fees for the lots right next to Kohl/LaBahn. Now that may change this year, so I can't confirm it's still the same.
    Last edited by Badger Booster; 09-15-2012, 01:24 PM. Reason: Grammer

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
      Nothing like having to pay $8-$10 for event parking in a near empty surface lot or ramp.
      You've hit on my pet peeve! And to make matters worse, the Athletic Dept. does not keep the revenue - it all goes into the U's general fund.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

My experience going to Minnesota games is that it is somewhat overpriced. $10 for reserved, $8 general admission $5 kids seems a little off, plus getting hosed for area parking. Nothing like having to pay $8-$10 for event parking in a near empty surface lot or ramp.
        The only time I will park in a pay lot for a Gopher game is when (a) there's a City of Minneapolis snow emergency in effect, or (b) it's snowing hard enough for one to be issued during the game. I don't mind walking a few blocks to park for free. As for admission, I don't need a chairback seat, so it's more economical for me to just buy a general admission ticket at the door instead of getting a season ticket.
        Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
        Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
        Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

I might agree that North Dakota could make a run at attendence leader, but "free admission policy" is overstated at Wisconsin. While there are several of promotions getting kids in for free (which is a good thing), not all Saturdays were kids for free and there isn't a free party on birthdays.
          Plus, the savings is only $2/kid, so is that really the difference in getting a lot of families to the games?

My experience going to Minnesota games is that it is somewhat overpriced. $10 for reserved, $8 general admission $5 kids seems a little off, plus getting hosed for area parking. Nothing like having to pay $8-$10 for event parking in a near empty surface lot or ramp. I credit Wisconsin for not charging parking fees for the lots right next to Kohl/LaBahn. Now that may change this year, so I can't confirm it's still the same.
          I have no doubt that your description of admission policies for UW women's hockey is correct. I was just riffing on something or another that I saw somewhere on the internet, it wouldn't be the first time, or the last that I was a bit off base. And I am with you, kids in free is a good thing. As for the birthday parties, if I am wrong, I am wrong. As I said, I thought that is what I saw last year in game promotions on the UW website.

But that's not my point at all anyway. I applaud UW for promoting the game well and for leading the NCAA in attendance. I am a fan of women's hockey, I absolutely support putting fannies in the seats, wherever the seats might be located. What I am saying is that with a much smaller arena it may not be possible for the athletic department to accommodate so many free and reduced admissions. It just seems likely that that kids and birthday parties are going to be harder groups to accommodate in the, again, much smaller arena. If that turns out to be true the average attendance number is likely to shrink, perhaps significantly.

Meanwhile, UND continues to play in the palatial (and huge) Ralph.
          Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

My experience going to Minnesota games is that it is somewhat overpriced. $10 for reserved, $8 general admission $5 kids seems a little off, plus getting hosed for area parking. Nothing like having to pay $8-$10 for event parking in a near empty surface lot or ramp.
            Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
            The only time I will park in a pay lot for a Gopher game is when (a) there's a City of Minneapolis snow emergency in effect, or (b) it's snowing hard enough for one to be issued during the game. I don't mind walking a few blocks to park for free. As for admission, I don't need a chairback seat, so it's more economical for me to just buy a general admission ticket at the door instead of getting a season ticket.
            What?

Women's hockey OVERPRICED?

Surely you jest. Even at Ridder surely you jest.

I can invite three people to attend the game with me, pay for their tickets, pay my own parking in the covered 4th Street ramp and one other parking for them as well, walk a block to the game, enjoy the game, walk a block to my car (which even in a snow emergency will not be snow covered) and head for home having invested less than it would cost me for a single ticket for the men's game next door in Mariucci.

Sorry Dave, I cannot agree with you on this one.
            Last edited by ManBehindTheCurtain; 09-15-2012, 09:36 PM.

Comment

I have no doubt that your description of admission policies for UW women's hockey is correct. I was just riffing on something or another that I saw somewhere on the internet, it wouldn't be the first time, or the last that I was a bit off base. And I am with you, kids in free is a good thing. As for the birthday parties, if I am wrong, I am wrong. As I said, I thought that is what I saw last year in game promotions on the UW website.

But that's not my point at all anyway. I applaud UW for promoting the game well and for leading the NCAA in attendance. I am a fan of women's hockey, I absolutely support putting fannies in the seats, wherever the seats might be located. What I am saying is that with a much smaller arena it may not be possible for the athletic department to accommodate so many free and reduced admissions. It just seems likely that that kids and birthday parties are going to be harder groups to accommodate in the, again, much smaller arena. If that turns out to be true the average attendance number is likely to shrink, perhaps significantly.

Meanwhile, UND continues to play in the palatial (and huge) Ralph.
              Personally I consider the paid parking at Ridder as just a part of the price of Admission.. At least for the 2-8 games a year in Minneapolis its not that big of a deal.

And I think we all agree that the more butts in the seats the better for the growth of the game. And... not to overrun the gopher thread but I do believe that UW will be offering fewer of the free weekend games with a men's ticket from the previous night promotions in the new building. Also, The Birthday parties start at $75 for 12 kids + $6 for each additional kid attending. (Flyer for 2012). In the past the parties have been numerous for some games and 1 or none for others and contained for the most part in one portion of the concourse. I am curious where they will host the parties in the new venue as their doesn't appear to be an adequate space in Labahn maybe the basketball practice gym will host as it is connected on the concourse level to Labahn..

With no NHL on tap hopefully people will be SMART and look for alternatives (especially in the Minnesota, Columbus OH, and Boston areas) to fill the void (although realistically I know not to hold my breath too long when it comes to this..)

Ok back to your regularly scheduled gopher chatter like..

Is Amanda Kessel going to be healthy and good to go for the start of the season?
              Is Nadine Muzerall going to handle the guts of the recruiting similar to Friesen at UW?
              Anyone making the trek to Durham in November?
              Whats the +/- for Raty getting 2 shutouts against Colgate?

Season just around the corner now.. where is Brooky at with that countdown clock????
              The WCHA Dynasty
              Wisconsin
              National Championships: 2011,2009,2007,2006; Runners Up: 2012, 2008
              MOP Winners: Bauer (07), Duggan (11), Knight (11), Vetter (06, 09)

Minnesota
              National Championships: 2012, 2005, 2004, 2000 (AWCHA); Runners Up: 2006
              MOP Winners: Darwitz (05), Killewald (00), Raty(12), Wendell (04)

Minnesota-Duluth
              National Championships: 2010, 2008, 2003, 2002, 2001; Runners Up: 2007
              MOP Winners: Blais (10), Martin (08), Ouellette (03), Rooth (01)

Comment

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...19&min=7&sec=0

I would bet Muzzy is heavily involved in recruitment.

Don't know the Kessel status...can only say I'm pretty sure I saw her at the National Sports Center in Blaine during a USA v Canada U18 game looking fit by all outwardly appearances. Same for a photo I saw today sporting her brand new shiny ring.

Another season with Noora as the foundation...just give me two W's and I'll be off to a happy start.

Nu Durham for me...wish I could...to visit with two of my favorite USCHO members.

And I'm with MBTC, GWH is the bargain / deal of the century even with parking fees. I'm with D2D as well...athletic dept. should get a piece of that pie.
                Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                  Don't know the Kessel status...can only say I'm pretty sure I saw her at the National Sports Center in Blaine during a USA v Canada U18 game looking fit by all outwardly appearances.
                  Hard to tell much buy that, though. She played as rookie when she wasn't fit, and one couldn't tell by looking at her. It's not like Westy, who was wrapped in ice bags for much of her UM career.
                  "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                  And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                    Hard to tell much buy that, though. She played as rookie when she wasn't fit, and one couldn't tell by looking at her. It's not like Westy, who was wrapped in ice bags for much of her UM career.
                    I interpreted no crutches, slings or other obvious signs of injury as a positive thing. I've heard some rumors as to the nature of an injury that could indicate it's now a matter of proper healing / recovery and the time that may require.
                    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
                      Maybe... But the GWH Facebook page just mentioned a big announcement coming on Tuesday (9/18) and it might have to do with youth admission based on the clue they gave today.
                      Dave gets the prize, as I assume this is the BIG surprise.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w...091812aae.html
                      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                        Dave gets the prize, as I assume this is the BIG surprise.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w...091812aae.html
                        While I appreciate the kudos, I had inside information.

Comment

What?

Women's hockey OVERPRICED?

Surely you jest. Even at Ridder surely you jest.

Sorry Dave, I cannot agree with you on this one.
                          I have to save up for a Thanksgiving weekend trip to New England.

EDIT: Two additional thoughts...

(1) I didn't say the game was overpriced, just the parking.

(2) As for the game tickets, I want to reference a comment Gopher football coach Jerry Kill made the other day. When asked why all four Gopher punters wear jersey number 38, he said that he didn't like the rule that multiple players could wear the same number, but until they change it he was going to utilize it. I don't think it's smart that GWH single-game at-the-door bench seat tickets are cheaper than season tickets, but until they change it, I'm going to utilize it.
                          Last edited by CrazyDave; 09-18-2012, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crazydave View Post
                            i have to save up for a thanksgiving weekend trip to new england. :d
                            :d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d
                            "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Tickets came UPS this year.

Looking forward to seeing what they have.

Obviously great goaltending, an All-America back on defense with other solid players back as well, two of the top three centers return and several other forwards who played significant minutes last season.

How soon and how well the frosh fit in will tell a huge tale about which expectations are reasonable and which are only wishful thinking.

Comment

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...19&min=7&sec=0
                                Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X