Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2012-13 Preseason Thread: Draft picks, video feeds, and Mel, oh my

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Tech 2012-13 Preseason Thread: Draft picks, video feeds, and Mel, oh my

Originally posted by JOHN SCOTT ROCKS View Post
    Pearson's been talking up Gould as a player who could have gone to any school he wanted but chose tech; to not include in the top 2 lines or at very least top 3 seems a little silly.
    I didn't know anything about Gould. That sounds fantastic. Looking forward to seeing your more knowledgeable line combos.
    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Re: Michigan Tech 2012-13 Preseason Thread: Draft picks, video feeds, and Mel, oh my

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      After doing some creepin' on some other threads...my jaw hit the floor in the Hockey East tournament thread...they actually think that the Hockey East tournament is better than the Final 5. They sure make some disillusioned people out east!
      *****http://themozartcafe.homestead.com/files/laughing_wam_on_floor.gif******
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        After doing some creepin' on some other threads...my jaw hit the floor in the Hockey East tournament thread...they actually think that the Hockey East tournament is better than the Final 5. They sure make some disillusioned people out east!
        It was pretty funny. Uninformed opinions are downright hilarious sometimes.

Comment

Minor thought here, but just want you guys to take a look at this article, and then answer a question.

Chainsaws at Humboldt State football games with their band.

Why doesn't the Second Best Feeling In The World have chainsaws?? Or at least a Logging sports team at MTU to provide chainsaws at games??
          bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
            Minor thought here, but just want you guys to take a look at this article, and then answer a question.

Chainsaws at Humboldt State football games with their band.

Why doesn't the Second Best Feeling In The World have chainsaws?? Or at least a Logging sports team at MTU to provide chainsaws at games??
            Because it wouldn't be original, and we've already ripped off enough cheers with "Sieve" from Cornell/Michigan/Wisconsin/etc. and "E^x" from RPI.

Besides, mining is more important.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              Because it wouldn't be original, and we've already ripped off enough cheers with "Sieve" from Cornell/Michigan/Wisconsin/etc. and "E^x" from RPI.

Since when has that ever stopped ya guys?? Besides, Roaring chainsaws going full go when the team takes the ice. Tell me that wouldn't get an arena all pumped up?? It would still be unique to NCAA hockey wouldn't it??
              bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                Since when has that ever stopped ya guys?? Besides, Roaring chainsaws going full go when the team takes the ice. Tell me that wouldn't get an arena all pumped up?? It would still be unique to NCAA hockey wouldn't it??
                Tech hockey is already disturbing enough, we don't need to make the JMSIA more of a haunted house.
                Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Stephen Anderson's promised hockey article:

http://www.mininggazette.com/page/co....html?nav=5009

Comment

Stephen Anderson's promised hockey article:

http://www.mininggazette.com/page/co....html?nav=5009
                    "Also looking ahead to the future, Pearson said, without disclosing further specifics, "We've been able to schedule some teams to come up to Houghton that haven't been here in a long time that I think people will be happy to see.""

Exciting times indeed. Can't wait for hockey to start up again.
                    MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
                      "Also looking ahead to the future, Pearson said, without disclosing further specifics, "We've been able to schedule some teams to come up to Houghton that haven't been here in a long time that I think people will be happy to see."
                      I have to assume Michigan is a given and maybe MI State since all the Bi6 Mistake teams are going to be looking for games.

"Tech got rid of all its old uniforms and the new ones have not arrived yet, but they are expected to come soon."
                      Mel emailed and asked if they could borrow last year's jerseys back for a few weeks... Not really.
                      Can you image what will happen if they are playing their first game in their practice jerseys? Yikes.

Ryan J
                      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                      Originally posted by geezer
                      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                      Originally posted by manurespreader
                      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Off of the Wisconsin Alumni Association page on 1970s roadtrips, the SIEVE chant was Michigan Tech's.

Look midway down the page from this site: https://www.uwalumni.com/home/1970sRTT.aspx

As quoted:

Did you ever wonder about the "SIEVE" chant at hockey games and how it came about? Believe it or not, it came from a road trip that I was on !! Here is the story:

It is the beginning of the 1970-71 hockey season — Badger Bob Johnson was the coach--maybe in his second or third year — and hockey was just beginning to become "hot" on campus, as the football team was still trying to recover from an 0-21-2 record, that was only broken in the fall of '69 against IOWA ( at home ), and the basketball team had not finished in the top half of the conference in at least 5 years.

Well, out of nowhere, these hockey players were winning games and the excitement of seeing 2 games and in good likelihood 2 wins was really something of newly charted territory for the Wisconsin sports fan. Having been to my first hockey game ever the year before ( in the spring ), I had already bought season tickets for both Friday and Saturday night games for the 70-71 season with a group of guys that I lived in the dorm with. Some of these guys came from northern Wisconsin, near the border of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan ( Florence, Wisconsin ) and were quite familiar with the game through the coverage of the team from Michigan Tech in Houghton, Michigan.
                        One of them said he had a friend going to school there and asked if we wanted to go up there for the weekend series against the Michigan Tech Huskies and we could all crash at his friend's room in the dorm. I was one of the 6 people who took the trip ( we stopped in Fond du Lac to fill up on gas because the price was so low — $0.29 per gallon ) to see the Badgers play at "old" Dee "stadium." I must describe this stadium — it had 3 rows of seats and a railing all around for "standing room" tickets, I say standing room because basically you tried to grab onto the railing and stay there for the entire game and hold onto the railing to keep your spot! One other thing that I forgot to mention--you could see clear through the cracks in the siding to the outside! If it was heated--it was only because of the air coming out of the lungs of the fans, and not from any heater in the building. It was in the arena that these 6 Badger fans went to cheer on the hockey team and where we first heard the SIEVE chant after a goal was scored AGAINST the Badger team. That is right, the SIEVE chant was a Michigan Tech cheer! It was really the only thing you could say and still be understood when your teeth were chattering because of the "natural" air conditioning in November on the shores of Lake Superior!

Well — seeing/hearing the SIEVE chant there in Dee Stadium, we thought that maybe this was something we could bring back to the Dane County Coliseum for the Badgers. The next weekend, we made a dorky cardboard sign, then sat low near the ice (even though the seats were not that good for seeing the game action) so that we could be seen by all the people in the stadium, we introduced the SIEVE chant to University of Wisconsin hockey fans. The rest you might say is history — it only took that Friday night (about 5 goals were scored by the Badgers I think) and by Saturday the whole crowd was into it without any prompting (remember most of the crowd was there on Friday night as well).
                        From my recollection, the following people from Rust House (the Rust-Schreiner Scholarship Cooperative on Orchard Street) were on the Michigan Tech Road trip:

Bill Olson from Florence, Wisconsin (his white Chevy had the "wheels" that got us there and back) and the friend where we could "crash."
                        Brian "Sneak" Piehl from Waupan, Wisconsin
                        John Burlowski from Milwaukee, Wisconsin
                        Harold "Butch" Johnson from Beloit, Wisconsin
                        Tim Lindgren from Rice Lake, Wisconsin
                        and myself

My thanks to them and to the members of Rust House (Al Bates, Terry Ackerman, Arnie Wolff, Cecil Massie, Ken Mandl, Tom Stroik, and others whose names I cannot now remember ) who on that first Friday night after the trip, helped create part of Wisconsin Hockey lore and legend, that continues to live on. SIEVE!

I am not sure if you will print this, but, I thought it might be of an interest to some of the BADGER fans of today.

Shawn Bergemann ’74, MBA’80
                        La Grange, Illinois

Comment

Originally posted by JOHN SCOTT ROCKS View Post
                          I find it humorous that the consensus seems to be that it's going to be "difficult" to crack the top six on Techs D corp yet with essentially the same corp. Fillion stepped in at the halfway point last year and became a top four. Why, because he's mobile and can move the puck. If Hyland is mobile and can move the puck, he'll have no problem cracking their top six D. BTW, Davis is mobile and can move the puck; he does need game experience to improve his decision making but to think he doesn't have a chance at the top six I believe is over estimating Techs D.
                          Hyland will play but i don't see Davis cracking the Top 6, unless injuries happen.
                          "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                            Just for a little Recruiting update.

Evan Anderson - Penticton (BCHL)
                            Tyler Heinonen - Muskegon (USHL)
                            Jake Kauppila - Coulee Region (NAHL)
                            Chris Leibringer - Muskegon (USHL)
                            Joel L'Esperance - Tri-City (USHL)
                            Michael Neville - Cedar Rapids (USHL)
                            Joe Schuldt - Sioux Falls (USHL)
                            Dylan Steman - Cedar Rapids (USHL)
                            Reid Sturos - Nanaimo (BCHL)
                            Max Vallis - Fischer 135 (Hopefully eligible to play at start of 2013-14 season)

Other notes:
                            Bryce Reddick - Appeal denied, time at Michigan Tech done
                            Kent McPherson - NCAA appeal for MJ time was ruled poorly (would have had to sit out 2 years and 10 games so not attending MTU)
                            Patrick Anderson - Walking on at Michigan Tech to help deal with rulings for Vallis and Reddick.
                            Thanks for the update. I'll be in Minnesota this weekend for a wedding so i think i'll be checking out the Showcase in Blaine.

http://nahl.com/news/story.cfm?id=6119
                            "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by Wyattus Magnus View Post
                              Off of the Wisconsin Alumni Association page on 1970s roadtrips, the SIEVE chant was Michigan Tech's.
                              great stuff.
                              Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                              USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Wyattus Magnus View Post
                                *snip*
                                Interesting. Thanks for digging that up.

Comment

Working...
                                X