PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Tech 2012-13 Preseason Thread: Draft picks, video feeds, and Mel, oh my

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

bigmrg74
09-12-2012, 12:10 AM
Because it wouldn't be original, and we've already ripped off enough cheers with "Sieve" from Cornell/Michigan/Wisconsin/etc. and "E^x" from RPI. :p

Besides, mining is more important. ;)Since when has that ever stopped ya guys??;) Besides, Roaring chainsaws going full go when the team takes the ice. Tell me that wouldn't get an arena all pumped up?? It would still be unique to NCAA hockey wouldn't it??

Beer Pong Horn
09-12-2012, 12:30 AM
Since when has that ever stopped ya guys??;) Besides, Roaring chainsaws going full go when the team takes the ice. Tell me that wouldn't get an arena all pumped up?? It would still be unique to NCAA hockey wouldn't it??

Tech hockey is already disturbing enough, we don't need to make the JMSIA more of a haunted house.

FadeToBlack&Gold
09-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Stephen Anderson's promised hockey article:

http://www.mininggazette.com/page/content.detail/id/526738/Huskies-get-together-with-new-season-on-mind.html?nav=5009

stuckinwi
09-12-2012, 11:36 AM
Stephen Anderson's promised hockey article:

http://www.mininggazette.com/page/content.detail/id/526738/Huskies-get-together-with-new-season-on-mind.html?nav=5009

"Also looking ahead to the future, Pearson said, without disclosing further specifics, "We've been able to schedule some teams to come up to Houghton that haven't been here in a long time that I think people will be happy to see.""

Exciting times indeed. Can't wait for hockey to start up again.

JohnsonsJerseys
09-12-2012, 12:00 PM
"Also looking ahead to the future, Pearson said, without disclosing further specifics, "We've been able to schedule some teams to come up to Houghton that haven't been here in a long time that I think people will be happy to see."

I have to assume Michigan is a given and maybe MI State since all the Bi6 Mistake teams are going to be looking for games.

"Tech got rid of all its old uniforms and the new ones have not arrived yet, but they are expected to come soon."
Mel emailed and asked if they could borrow last year's jerseys back for a few weeks... Not really.
Can you image what will happen if they are playing their first game in their practice jerseys? Yikes.

Ryan J

Wyattus Magnus
09-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Because it wouldn't be original, and we've already ripped off enough cheers with "Sieve" from Cornell/Michigan/Wisconsin/etc. and "E^x" from RPI. :p

Besides, mining is more important. ;)

Off of the Wisconsin Alumni Association page on 1970s roadtrips, the SIEVE chant was Michigan Tech's.

Look midway down the page from this site: https://www.uwalumni.com/home/1970sRTT.aspx

As quoted:

Did you ever wonder about the "SIEVE" chant at hockey games and how it came about? Believe it or not, it came from a road trip that I was on !! Here is the story:

It is the beginning of the 1970-71 hockey season — Badger Bob Johnson was the coach--maybe in his second or third year — and hockey was just beginning to become "hot" on campus, as the football team was still trying to recover from an 0-21-2 record, that was only broken in the fall of '69 against IOWA ( at home ), and the basketball team had not finished in the top half of the conference in at least 5 years.

Well, out of nowhere, these hockey players were winning games and the excitement of seeing 2 games and in good likelihood 2 wins was really something of newly charted territory for the Wisconsin sports fan. Having been to my first hockey game ever the year before ( in the spring ), I had already bought season tickets for both Friday and Saturday night games for the 70-71 season with a group of guys that I lived in the dorm with. Some of these guys came from northern Wisconsin, near the border of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan ( Florence, Wisconsin ) and were quite familiar with the game through the coverage of the team from Michigan Tech in Houghton, Michigan.
One of them said he had a friend going to school there and asked if we wanted to go up there for the weekend series against the Michigan Tech Huskies and we could all crash at his friend's room in the dorm. I was one of the 6 people who took the trip ( we stopped in Fond du Lac to fill up on gas because the price was so low — $0.29 per gallon ) to see the Badgers play at "old" Dee "stadium." I must describe this stadium — it had 3 rows of seats and a railing all around for "standing room" tickets, I say standing room because basically you tried to grab onto the railing and stay there for the entire game and hold onto the railing to keep your spot! One other thing that I forgot to mention--you could see clear through the cracks in the siding to the outside! If it was heated--it was only because of the air coming out of the lungs of the fans, and not from any heater in the building. It was in the arena that these 6 Badger fans went to cheer on the hockey team and where we first heard the SIEVE chant after a goal was scored AGAINST the Badger team. That is right, the SIEVE chant was a Michigan Tech cheer! It was really the only thing you could say and still be understood when your teeth were chattering because of the "natural" air conditioning in November on the shores of Lake Superior!

Well — seeing/hearing the SIEVE chant there in Dee Stadium, we thought that maybe this was something we could bring back to the Dane County Coliseum for the Badgers. The next weekend, we made a dorky cardboard sign, then sat low near the ice (even though the seats were not that good for seeing the game action) so that we could be seen by all the people in the stadium, we introduced the SIEVE chant to University of Wisconsin hockey fans. The rest you might say is history — it only took that Friday night (about 5 goals were scored by the Badgers I think) and by Saturday the whole crowd was into it without any prompting (remember most of the crowd was there on Friday night as well).
From my recollection, the following people from Rust House (the Rust-Schreiner Scholarship Cooperative on Orchard Street) were on the Michigan Tech Road trip:

Bill Olson from Florence, Wisconsin (his white Chevy had the "wheels" that got us there and back) and the friend where we could "crash."
Brian "Sneak" Piehl from Waupan, Wisconsin
John Burlowski from Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Harold "Butch" Johnson from Beloit, Wisconsin
Tim Lindgren from Rice Lake, Wisconsin
and myself

My thanks to them and to the members of Rust House (Al Bates, Terry Ackerman, Arnie Wolff, Cecil Massie, Ken Mandl, Tom Stroik, and others whose names I cannot now remember ) who on that first Friday night after the trip, helped create part of Wisconsin Hockey lore and legend, that continues to live on. SIEVE!

I am not sure if you will print this, but, I thought it might be of an interest to some of the BADGER fans of today.

Shawn Bergemann ’74, MBA’80
La Grange, Illinois

eye4talent
09-12-2012, 01:03 PM
I find it humorous that the consensus seems to be that it's going to be "difficult" to crack the top six on Techs D corp yet with essentially the same corp. Fillion stepped in at the halfway point last year and became a top four. Why, because he's mobile and can move the puck. If Hyland is mobile and can move the puck, he'll have no problem cracking their top six D. BTW, Davis is mobile and can move the puck; he does need game experience to improve his decision making but to think he doesn't have a chance at the top six I believe is over estimating Techs D.

Hyland will play but i don't see Davis cracking the Top 6, unless injuries happen.

eye4talent
09-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Just for a little Recruiting update.

Evan Anderson - Penticton (BCHL)
Tyler Heinonen - Muskegon (USHL)
Jake Kauppila - Coulee Region (NAHL)
Chris Leibringer - Muskegon (USHL)
Joel L'Esperance - Tri-City (USHL)
Michael Neville - Cedar Rapids (USHL)
Joe Schuldt - Sioux Falls (USHL)
Dylan Steman - Cedar Rapids (USHL)
Reid Sturos - Nanaimo (BCHL)
Max Vallis - Fischer 135 (Hopefully eligible to play at start of 2013-14 season)

Other notes:
Bryce Reddick - Appeal denied, time at Michigan Tech done
Kent McPherson - NCAA appeal for MJ time was ruled poorly (would have had to sit out 2 years and 10 games so not attending MTU)
Patrick Anderson - Walking on at Michigan Tech to help deal with rulings for Vallis and Reddick.

Thanks for the update. I'll be in Minnesota this weekend for a wedding so i think i'll be checking out the Showcase in Blaine.

http://nahl.com/news/story.cfm?id=6119

geezer
09-12-2012, 01:09 PM
Off of the Wisconsin Alumni Association page on 1970s roadtrips, the SIEVE chant was Michigan Tech's.

great stuff.

FadeToBlack&Gold
09-12-2012, 01:59 PM
*snip*

Interesting. Thanks for digging that up.

bose301s
09-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Do you think they'll have new jerseys available for sale at any point?

manurespreader
09-12-2012, 08:20 PM
That article had false statements! the Dee had way more than three rows. At least 8 or nine. and no you couldn't see thu the cracks,

but yes it was cold in there. There were times during the sieve chant that people threw tea strainers on the ice.

bigblue_dl
09-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Suck it, Bucky.

I'm planning to be at the games in Blaine tomorrow after work and possibly Friday after work.

Wyattus Magnus
09-13-2012, 08:57 AM
That article had false statements! the Dee had way more than three rows. At least 8 or nine. and no you couldn't see thu the cracks,

but yes it was cold in there. There were times during the sieve chant that people threw tea strainers on the ice.

I'm sure that a Bucky fan who has probably visited the Dee once in his entire life - nearly 30 years ago - is going to have a photographic memory of every architectural detail of the building. Compared to Dane or the Kohl Center, I am sure it seemed like it was that small and rough in his mind's eye. :rolleyes:

FadeToBlack&Gold
09-13-2012, 10:30 AM
The annual InCH A-to-Z series profiled Dan Sova (http://insidecollegehockey.com/inch/2012/09/12/az_sov/).

bigblue_dl
09-13-2012, 10:43 AM
The annual InCH A-to-Z series profiled Dan Sova (http://insidecollegehockey.com/inch/2012/09/12/az_sov/).Oh, but he'll probably get bumped for Jimmy Davis because Davis is a smooth skater. :rolleyes:

UpNorthHockey
09-13-2012, 10:45 AM

I watched the last two seasons of MTU at the Dee and played mite thru bantam there. It was quite a barn with many unique and quirky features that harkened back to pre WWII days. It's hard to describe the ambience that place had without resorting to a little embellishment. I still play pickup games there once in while, and most of that historical ambience is sadly gone. I also recall the seive chant and the strainers on the ice. I had to ask my dad what a seive was and why they were throwing perfectly good kitchen utensils on the ice. The first time I went to the Dane County Coliseum in the mid-70s, I thought the Badger's hand-twirling version of the seive cheer was obnoxious and a bit over the top. Bucky certainly put their own style to it.

Shirtless Guy
09-13-2012, 11:28 AM
I watched the last two seasons of MTU at the Dee and played mite thru bantam there. It was quite a barn with many unique and quirky features that harkened back to pre WWII days. It's hard to describe the ambience that place had without resorting to a little embellishment. I still play pickup games there once in while, and most of that historical ambience is sadly gone. I also recall the seive chant and the strainers on the ice. I had to ask my dad what a seive was and why they were throwing perfectly good kitchen utensils on the ice. The first time I went to the Dane County Coliseum in the mid-70s, I thought the Badger's hand-twirling version of the seive cheer was obnoxious and a bit over the top. Bucky certainly put their own style to it.Its also the most intimidating sight I've ever seen in college hockey. I don't think anything quite compares to the electricity in the building when that place is packed and everyone is doing the hand twirling to the pep band's beat.

bigblue_dl
09-13-2012, 02:08 PM
FYI to the Techies out there, that may be interested: Fantasy College Hockey (http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?101135-USCHO-Fantasy-College-Hockey-Season-11&p=5500757#post5500757)

manurespreader
09-13-2012, 06:44 PM
I've only been to the Kohl a couple of times but if you ask me the Dee back in the 70's was far more intimidating to the other team. It was known by other teams as "the snake pit" for a good reason.
It was real loud in there. You could hardly hear yourself think. I've never been in any rink anywhere near as loud. Second it was a tiny rink surface, so Tech ran a very aggressive forecheck and got a lot of turnovers from it. Often there would be 5 -6 minutes where the other team could not get out of it's own end this often would result in louder and louder cheering.. Third, the "lets go Tech!" cheer. it was not the sing song version we have now, and which I personally hate, but much more in your face. typically it was chanted at full volume after the opponent scored, with particular emphasis on the TECH. it was almost an indian war chant.

Regarding the tea strainers, there was a letter to the editor printed in the lode in 1969 or 70, (not signed, but everyone thought it was from the coach), saying that the chant was not complimentary to our team, as it really said that we did not accomplish the goal by our own skill, but more by luck.. The cheer slowed down for a while after that, but then reappeared.