Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2012-13 Preseason Thread: Draft picks, video feeds, and Mel, oh my

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2012-13 Preseason Thread: Draft picks, video feeds, and Mel, oh my

Once again this season Tech Hockey Guide will be providing fans with a means of chatting live during games at http://www.techhockeyguide.com/live/.
    Originally posted by SCSU Euro
    What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2012-13 Preseason Thread: Draft picks, video feeds, and Mel, oh my

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      Michigan Tech has picked up a commitment from Des Moines (USHL) Defenseman, Marcus Ericsson. As you might expect from the name, he was born in Sweden and until the 2012-13 season, he has played Jr Hockey in Sweden, in fact, in Lulea, where bigblue_dl was for work earlier this year of all places. He's 6'1" but didn't put up many points with his teams so probably more of a stay at home d-man. Likely to join the huskies for 2013-14.
      watched him play Friday night against the NTDP U17 Team. looked ok. played a regular shift and was on the 1st unit PP. played the body a few times and showed he has a physical side. seemed to have trouble at times with the speed/quickness. good hockey sense and made some nice passes. did a lot of little things well.
      "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

For those of you that want an alternate streaming source besides pasty.net (which always seems to max out or drop my stream), you should be able to hear the games via Mix 93 on the TuneIn website or Android app.

The website for the PC stream is: http://tunein.com/radio/The-Mix-93-935-s30290/#

Comment

Originally posted by Madison Husky View Post
          For those of you that want an alternate streaming source besides pasty.net (which always seems to max out or drop my stream), you should be able to hear the games via Mix 93 on the TuneIn website or Android app.

The website for the PC stream is: http://tunein.com/radio/The-Mix-93-935-s30290/#
          No offense but tune in only works part of the time and sometimes it drops right at game time. Just sayin.. Not any better than pasty if you ask me. Hopefully this year will be better though. I use tune in a lot.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Mel Pearson show summary from 10-1, Meet the Coaches is Thursday 7PM, is anyone going that report back?

Feels great it's finally game week.
            Still only have 2 hours a week with team, first official full day is Saturday.
            Special teams are a concern until you get more time to work on it.
            Hard without the on ice time to see Freshmen.

Line and freshman:
            Working on lines, start thinking during the summer
            Have a pretty good idea of what they'll look like
            Lineup is fairly set, we have a couple injuries, Chad Pietila has been out for 2 weeks, groin pull
            Jake Johnstone tweaked an ankle last week, not sure if he'll be ready this weekend, could be 2 weeks to 6 weeks
            Jujhar, they call him JJ, will be a top 9 forward, big body, playing center, good in front of the net, needs to pick the pace up a bit, get significant PP time, team him up with skill players, he distributes the puck, pass first guy, with Petan right now, they look good, will add experience/Defense on the left side of that line
            JJ appears physically ready, at NHL combine, he was excellent, ahead of the freshmen curve physically, 18 year old, true freshmen

Petan - you'll see skill, can't teach, him and Gould are two pure scorers, he shoots to score
            Freshmen will have up and downs, and will have to play against some guys 4/5 years older than them, really like their talent

Eick - has speed, he sticks out, if he gets a step on someone, hard for Dman to catch up, need to tell him to score, expand his role and show him he has better offense than his numbers have shown
            He'll create some scorring chances on the PK, hopefully can burry those shorthanded chances

Questions:
            Two biggest areas you'll look at during exhibition game?
            Goaltending, want to see freshmen in action, Brock has played 3 games, they'll give us a good match
            Overall feel for some of the new players/kids that didn't play last year

Same question but for intrasquad?
            All players will play in that game, will make it as much a game situation as you can. Great opportunity for community outreach for our team. Will have autograph session afterwards.

Goalie situation, have any seperated themselves yet?
            Don't know who we'll start against Brock. Not sure if we'll play 3 or 2 goalies. We do have a game the following Thursday. Both freshmen are good, we have a small book on Kevin, we'll see.

On Walker Hyland - good offensive skills/instincts, 40 pts in BCHL, has fit in well, a lot of depth on defensemen, 9 bodies, all capable of playing

Where do Davis and Brown fit in on defense?
            Tommy had a great summer, ready to go, looks good, being a senior he knows what it takes to win. He's such a competitor. Jimmy has looked much improved, he had a good freshmen year, very capable, adds toughnes on blueline. We'll have tough decisions, players will make decision for you.

Will Jimmy crack the lineup? Yes, no questions, he'll have the opportunity, where and how much is TBD with all the Dmen. He looks improved, stronger and more confident.

Dirk wondered about some Forwards that are trying to earn spots in lineup:
            They all work hard and have played in some games. Lickteig has great speed, expecting his best year. Holmberg is capable player, give some size and he has some touch around the net. With the change in coaching and speed of the game they wanted to play may have caught him off guard. Aaron Pietila adds toughness and speed. Hietila has some skill. Problem is not enough games/time to give kids time in games. Need to go with best lineup. All of them are capable D1 players. They'll all get an opportunity, need to show coaches/teammates you're ready to contribute.

Tanner Kero will better with age. He got off to a great start, then hit a wall. If Mel could've changed one thing, maybe would've given him a game off or two, but kept playing him. Skating is more powerful, stronger. He's healthy and ready to go. He had a nagging injury most of the year last year, upper body.

Milos Gordic has adapated to how we want to play. He's had to push his skating and has gotten better. He can score, good around the net, big body. He's in his best shape.

On Brock:
            Can dress 22 players, 2 extra
            Will play some line combinations and mix it up to see chemistry

On intrasquad:
            Will have tents setup outside, game is at 3PM, will play two halves, it will be entertaining and after the game kids can have posters signed and get autographs and a barbeque after
            Mel likes this better than last year during December, last year there was a break in the schedule, but there may be another one in 2nd half of season

Media preseason poll:
            Gophers will be tought, defending champion, Mel not surprised Bujstad is back
            Get your tickets for UMN series, will be heck of a series
            UW picked 4th, good talent played better at end of the year
            We were picked 9th, told player doesn't matter where we get picked, just guys like Dirk that don't know much about hockey, we have something to prove
            UND picked 2nd, very good, lot of injuries last year
            We have UMN and UND coming to Houghton, get your tickets
            Our schedule is more difficult, both non-conference and WCHA pod we're in, play UMD 4 times
            Seigo to Mel is one of best Dman in league, he's ready to have a breakthrough year

Meet the coaches is on Thursday, Begg hockey center in ice arena
            All coaches will be there except Muckalt, he's in BC recruiting
            Thursday 7PM, begg hockey center (players lounge area), bring your questions, there will be refreshments
            The Monday email was inaccurate, it is in Begg hockey center, not blueline room!
            We have a new feature this year, In the Crease, good questions, equipment, recruiting, future opponents, lockerroom changes, we encourage people to come out and bring questions
            When can people get a tour of the locker room? It's a possibility this Thursday to open it up, good to go behind the scenese to see what's been done
            It's an arms race, some nice places like UND etc, we're making nice improvements, when the Mac gets packed, no other place liek it in college hockey, people right on top of you

Anxious this week, going to turn the heat up a bit, can't be too intense, getting into game time, but it's a long season
            Brock is a good opponent, Mel wanted a good team that will make us work not one we would blow out
            Not sure what jerseys on Saturday, will try to wear all three this weekend, one on Sat and each side will wear the remaining two on Sunday

Comment

Quite a few updates on THG. Updated the recruiting grid, added all of the new head shots, reorganized the schedule with more information to be added there.
              What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                Quite a few updates on THG. Updated the recruiting grid, added all of the new head shots, reorganized the schedule with more information to be added there.
                Looks good, also nice to see that the live chat is back. It's nice to ***** about the refs with others not fortunate enough to be at the games
                MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Tech hockey guide looks good, looking at the recruiting grid, I'm surprised at the bump in the number of forwards slated for next year. I wonder if that will decrease.

Stephen Anderson's freshmen article today in on Gould
                  http://www.mininggazette.com/page/co....html?nav=5009

It's been out there awhile, but here's a St. Cloud article on Ben Storm's recruitment.
                  http://www.sctimes.com/article/20120...sey=nav%7Chead

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                    Tech hockey guide looks good, looking at the recruiting grid, I'm surprised at the bump in the number of forwards slated for next year. I wonder if that will decrease.
                    Sure. If Jake Kauppila couldn't make the USHL this year, I don't see him in Houghton next year.

Max Vallis is going to play three years according to Stephen Anderson, so he should probably be bumped up a year in the grid.

Comment

Stephen Anderson's freshmen article today in on Gould
                      http://www.mininggazette.com/page/co....html?nav=5009

It's been out there awhile, but here's a St. Cloud article on Ben Storm's recruitment.
                      I don't know if that's cool having a "season ticket holder" doing your recruiting for you, St. Cloud.
                      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                      USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                        Sure. If Jake Kauppila couldn't make the USHL this year, I don't see him in Houghton next year.

Max Vallis is going to play three years according to Stephen Anderson, so he should probably be bumped up a year in the grid.
                        you are correct on both accounts.

Vallis should start 2013-14 but belongs in the "orange" band with this year's frosh and will be a senior 2015-16 and I expect that kauppila will be in USHL in 2013-14, not in Houghton and be a frosh for 2014-15.
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                          I don't know if that's cool having a "season ticket holder" doing your recruiting for you, St. Cloud.
                          That could probably be a recruiting violation.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                            you are correct on both accounts.

Vallis should start 2013-14 but belongs in the "orange" band with this year's frosh and will be a senior 2015-16 and I expect that kauppila will be in USHL in 2013-14, not in Houghton and be a frosh for 2014-15.
                            Corrected

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                              That could probably be a recruiting violation.
                              depends if the season ticket holder is considered a booster I would think.
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

"Storm, who said he had a 3.5 grade-point average in high school, is undecided on what he wants to major in but is considering either business or engineering."
                                Hmmm...
                                MTU = Engineering
                                SCSU = Business

I guess we can chalk that up as decided on the "business" side of the ledger. I'm confident that with the type of recruits Pearson and staff have been landing, if SCSU showed Storm more love than Tech right in his backyard, then Mel decided he has seen better that he wants on the roser rather than Storm.
                                Ryan J
                                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                                Originally posted by geezer
                                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                                Originally posted by manurespreader
                                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Working...
                                X