Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2012-13 Preseason Thread: Draft picks, video feeds, and Mel, oh my

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2012-13 Preseason Thread: Draft picks, video feeds, and Mel, oh my

It'll be interesting to how holmberg does this year. he appears much quicker than in the past.

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2012-13 Preseason Thread: Draft picks, video feeds, and Mel, oh my

The team balance looks really great this year.

There will be competition, but I expect the coaching staff to settle on the 20-22 players that will see regular ice time.

I am really excited to see if Gould, Khaira, and Petan can provide as much upside as B. Pietila and D. Johnstone did last year.

I think Furne, B. Pietila, and Gordic will have great years.

Good luck to the team, we can't wait to see the Minnesota series on Fox College Sports.

I am very curious who wins the goalie battle. It seems like a rotation will be likely to start to determine the winner.
      If all excel, do they all get games this season?

I'm hoping the team will be competing for top 4 in the WCHA this year.

The battle for the top 6 forwards should be interesting with the depth.

I think the #1 line will be B. Pietila, Jacob Johnstone, and David Johnstone
      Followed by #2, Furne, Petan, Gordic
      #3, Khaira Kero Gould
      #4, Lickteig, Eick, Rix

What do you all think....

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        I am pretty sure that the majority of the group will be tailgating up at the arena at that time. Homemade beer, beer darts, grilling, etc. stop by if you have a chance.
        This. IIRC, we start around 4ish.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
          The team balance looks really great this year.

There will be competition, but I expect the coaching staff to settle on the 20-22 players that will see regular ice time.

I am really excited to see if Gould, Khaira, and Petan can provide as much upside as B. Pietila and D. Johnstone did last year.

I think Furne, B. Pietila, and Gordic will have great years.

Good luck to the team, we can't wait to see the Minnesota series on Fox College Sports.

I am very curious who wins the goalie battle. It seems like a rotation will be likely to start to determine the winner.
          If all excel, do they all get games this season?

I'm hoping the team will be competing for top 4 in the WCHA this year.

The battle for the top 6 forwards should be interesting with the depth.

I think the #1 line will be B. Pietila, Jacob Johnstone, and David Johnstone
          Followed by #2, Furne, Petan, Gordic
          #3, Khaira Kero Gould
          #4, Lickteig, Eick, Rix

What do you all think....

I agree with your top three lines and their line mates. Alex Petan could eventually become their top line center ice man if he plays well enough.

Comment

*Looks in, looks around, quitely retrives sandbags.*
            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
              *Looks in, looks around, quitely retrives sandbags.*
              ?????
              Is this a Duluth or Grand Forks joke?
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                Because we have Mel now...
                Need we say more?
                Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                  Michigan Tech Hockey Garage Sale is Saturday Sept 29.
                  Hockey Equipment, Skates, Sticks, Pads, Jerseys, Apparel and Memorabilia
                  Had a great time at the sale and was very suprised how well attended it was. People packed the room when the doors opened and at one point there were easily 30 people in line waiting to check out. The line went clear across the Blue Line room. The only varsity jerseys I saw at the sale were two practice jerseys but I grabbed them anyway - one homemade goalie jersey which had the Pianodog crest sewn over the Heaton logo, and one from the late 2000s with the script "Huskies" crest by OT Sports.

There were hundreds of Hockey Development School jerseys, nearly all in child sizes. I saw what I assumed were local youth coaches picking up a dozen or so each. At $3 each, a great low cost way to get prenumbered jerseys for the kids. There were still 5-6 boses of them left when the sale ended. Also some misc logowear for the HDS program as well (polos, windbreakers, windpants, etc.)

Since the team also replaced pants and socks this year, there were 40-50 pairs of breezers and hundreds of pairs of socks. The breezers were generally $25 up to $50 for brand new still in the bag. I found a pair of used John Scott breezers (huge) with the suspenders still attached and also a pair of Michigan State used as well. No one had any idea how those got to Houghton, but I grabbed them anyway along with the Scott pair. The socks were $2 / pair, but if you spent $100 or more they let folks just grab a few pairs for free. The team even had black dazzle socks which were supposed to be worn with the black dazzle jerseys, but the team took one look at them and left them in the box and wore regular knit socks.

A few pairs of skates, a few new helmets (I picked up the only one with the Tech decals applied), and a good assortment of shin guards, elbow pads, and shoulder pads (many still new in the bags). Only about a dozen gloves, I picked up one set that actually matched, but many of the others were singles. The one big ticket item I picked up was a mixed set of goalie gear - leg pads and blocker from Josh Robinson 2008-09 and a catcher from Rob Nolan 2007-08. There was another complete set from Genoe as well but I let that stuff go and it went home with two other parties.

The coolest stuff (in my opinion) but didn't get much attention, was a small table of autographed and/or game used sticks - many of which were donated by Mel Pearson. As you would expect quite a few were from Michigan players (Montoya, Shields, Komisarek and a 93-94 Michigan team signed stick.) I grabbed a couple right away, but at the end of the sale many were still there so I grabbed a few more for my friends that cheer for other programs downstate. The ones I liked the most however were MTU 1998-99 team signed sticks which also included a brass plate for the ground breaking ceremony for the Hockey Education Center in September 1998. They were in mind condition (hadn't even uncovered the nameplates yet) and since I was actually at the ceremony that day, I thought that was a pretty cool souvie. The team also sold several dozen brand new sticks from former MTU players. They were really nice one-peice composites so I grabbed a couple for use in rec league hockey. I'm sure to score 50 goals this year now...

All in all, a great time and if I would have had more space I might have been tempted to pick up more. Talking with the staff afterwards, they thought maybe they had brought up 40-50% of what they had in storage for this sale (hard to believe with everything they had yesterday) but Mel wants to make it an annual event like they did at Michigan and so next year should be equal in scope.

Ryan J

*****http://www.johnsonsjerseys.net/temp/mtu-stuff.jpg******
                  Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                  https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                  Originally posted by geezer
                  Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                  Originally posted by manurespreader
                  ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

what a haul!
                    Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                    Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

?????
                      Is this a Duluth or Grand Forks joke?
                      See the D2 Football thread to get the joke.
                      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

Comment

See the D2 Football thread to get the joke.
                        I think I'll pass.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I think I'll pass.
                          Eh, only a techie would need to have the joke explained to him anyways.

Needless to say, I was nervous about the GVSU at Tech game, and well, I felt I had a ligitiment reason to sandbag this weekend. And well, things went to hell in a big hurry there at the end for GVSU, although they still slunk out of Houghton with a win. I'll take it, but esh.... still thinking they're going to get exposed sooner or later.

It just happens.

Comment

Needless to say, I was nervous about the GVSU at Tech game, and well, I felt I had a ligitiment reason to sandbag this weekend. And well, things went to hell in a big hurry there at the end for GVSU, although they still slunk out of Houghton with a win. I'll take it, but esh.... still thinking they're going to get exposed sooner or later.
                            No, I just don't see a reason to waste my time with D2 football and tracking down some thread that actually discusses it.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I'll leave it to someone else to post a complete synopsis but some good stuff on the mel show.

I think he is very high on the freshmen and I would not be at all surprised if they get a prominent role. I think the special teams will be better this year and I think defense will be too. He specifically said that Davis has made great strides and will get ice time this season. He also liked Hyland and said Brown has come in in good shape and looks good.
                              The big question mark is how will Genoe play and what role will the new goalies have. I get the feeling that the intrasquad game up in Calumet is going to be quite important to who gets ice time.

He said Brock is a good team and will challenge us.

He also said that tickets are going to be harder to get this year what with two top programs coming in and to get your tickets right away. Also mentioned we play Duluth four times.So we have a tough schedule, and some wins vs these others will certainly make us noticed.

For my part I think we will see Gould on one of the top two lines and Khaira may not start right away. Otherwise HF906's pairings look pretty good to me.
                              Mel mentioned how good Steven Siego has become and how much he has improved. I don't see Brown making it as a forward but I do see him as a regular defenseman.
                              Also one last thing, If Eick and Rix play like I think they can, they are really going to create problems for the other teams forth line and we will score some significant shorties this year.He has been very impressed with Eick in particular.
                              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Your rep to me is further proof that your brain doesn't work like it is supposed to.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X