Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2012-13 Preseason Thread: Draft picks, video feeds, and Mel, oh my

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2012-13 Preseason Thread: Draft picks, video feeds, and Mel, oh my

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    If the NHL has any brains at all they won't cancel an entire season again. When they last did it (2004-05) they didn't pull the plug on the season until Feb 2005. If the NHL is dumb enough to can the 2012-13 season, I can't see them doing it before Thanksgiving. If you don't give 30 days notice, I don't think you can pull of a venue change. We're not talking about going from one indoor rink to another - this is an outdoor game with a ton of specialized equipment required to an indoor game.

I think that changing the venue, even now three months in advance, would be worse than 30% capacity at the outdoor games. I sure wouldn't want the pain of figuring out new seat assignments, mailing new tickets, issuing refunds to those who don't want to watch indoor games, taking calls from PO'd people, etc. I would just take your lumps with poor attendance and send the bill to the NHL if you lose money.

Ryan J
    Here is the thing, the winter classic could be canceled by Thanksgiving...the season might not be but the winter classic could.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2012-13 Preseason Thread: Draft picks, video feeds, and Mel, oh my

The NHLPA could use the Winter Classic as an effective bargaining tool to prevent the cancellation of the season. The NHL would hate to lose one of its marquee events. I think the season will not be lost and could use the Winter Classic as the opener. I will be surprised if they cancel the season.
      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
        The NHLPA could use the Winter Classic as an effective bargaining tool to prevent the cancellation of the season. The NHL would hate to lose one of its marquee events. I think the season will not be lost and could use the Winter Classic as the opener. I will be surprised if they cancel the season.
        The same thing happen with the NBA, making sure they still had games on Christmas.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Stephen Anderson's Twitter:

In case #NHL lockout continues on, Pearson said *unofficially* last week the #mtuhky #GLI will *likely* go back to Joe Louis Arena.

Comment

You guys thinking that the season won't be cancelled certainly have a lot more faith in the owners and players than I do, both sides are being greedy and would rather punish the fans and cancel the season than give in.
            2005-2006: 7-25-6
            2006-2007: 18-17-5
            2007-2008: 14-20-5
            2008-2009: 6-25-7
            2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
              You guys thinking that the season won't be cancelled certainly have a lot more faith in the owners and players than I do, both sides are being greedy and would rather punish the fans and cancel the season than give in.
              I really don't think the players are being all that greedy. Its not their fault the owners want to throw money at players. I find it amazing that these systems are setup basically to keep the owners from over spending because they can't control themselves...

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                I really don't think the players are being all that greedy. Its not their fault the owners want to throw money at players. I find it amazing that these systems are setup basically to keep the owners from over spending because they can't control themselves...
                I think the owners are being more greedy than the players but when someone is *****ing about getting paid $5 million a year vs. $6 million I would call that greedy as well, seriously, you're getting paid to play a game while the fans who watch you have real jobs making 1/100th what you do, you should be happy with getting paid $1 million a year.

Comment

As for the new jerseys, does anyone have an in with the team etc. so we can get group buys on them with customization for cheaper? I remember in spring/summer 2010 they did that and they were significantly cheaper than in the store, like $119 or $129 vs like $159 or whatever University Images sells them for.

Comment

Got an email this morning that UND suspended ALL of their captains for the first game of the season for violation of team policy. It didn't say what the issue was but the ENTIRE team now has to attend a weekly alcohol education program for an undisclosed length of time and do community service work. Also the entire team was placed on probation. I guess the boozing and hockey isn't limited to BU.

On one hand, good for the school for taking charge of the situation, on the other hand a pretty toothless penalty missing the opening non-conference game of the season, alcohol education and community service. I'm sure the guys will still make the trip and play the second night of the tourney in AK. How about sit them down for the entire first WCHA weekend and see if that gets their attention.

As for the Tech jerseys -tough to get jerseys for the fans when the team is still waiting.
                    :-)
                    Ryan J
                    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                    Originally posted by geezer
                    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                    Originally posted by manurespreader
                    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                      Look at the most "loaded" MN HS team from last year: Benilde. Jake O'Borsky played on their first line. This year, he's been a healthy scratch, and played sparingly in one game for Wenatchee. Jake Horton was their best defenseman and played every other shift. This year, he's not even the best defenseman on a bad NAHL team. Benilde's third line had a senior that's not even playing hockey anymore, and a kid that was born in 1997. Any NAHL team would mop the floor with them.

Look up how the Minnesota kids in that league are doing now, compared to what they did in high school. The only ones having real success were top line/all-state types two years ago. There's just way too much difference in age and depth for a game like that to be close in any way. Statements like that are as ignorant as Canadians saying Khaira is wasting his time because he's not playing on a team with NHL draft picks.
                      Amen.
                      "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                        Got an email this morning that UND suspended ALL of their captains for the first game of the season for violation of team policy. It didn't say what the issue was but the ENTIRE team now has to attend a weekly alcohol education program for an undisclosed length of time and do community service work. Also the entire team was placed on probation. I guess the boozing and hockey isn't limited to BU.

On one hand, good for the school for taking charge of the situation, on the other hand a pretty toothless penalty missing the opening non-conference game of the season, alcohol education and community service. I'm sure the guys will still make the trip and play the second night of the tourney in AK. How about sit them down for the entire first WCHA weekend and see if that gets their attention.
                        USCHO says that they'll be missing the AK game not the AIC game. Stings a little more, but probably is a slap on the wrist. MTU has been pretty lucky with our recruits and culture....we've had relatively few such incidents, despite a healthy love for beer.

Comment

New guy commiting for 2015:

https://twitter.com/TristanRostagno
                          MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Every school's athletes throw parties and drink . In the case of North Dakota's hockey team, they just happen to get the vast majority of the 'local celebrity' media attention in Grand Forks.

How quickly we forget John Scott and his SUV.

EDIT:

Originally posted by Andy Johnson
                            Arrowhead HS & TW U16 d-man @TristanRostagno has committed to Michigan Tech for 2015. 6'2, 185. 9/25/1996
                            http://blog.insidemuskegonlumberjack...-rostagno.html

He will play his sophomore year at Arrowhead, then move to Muskegon.
                            Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 09-18-2012, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
                              New guy commiting for 2015:

https://twitter.com/TristanRostagno
                              nice. i heard Tech was in early on the Poganski kid from St. Cloud Cathederal. hopefully Mel can land him.

http://www.sctimes.com/article/20120...oganski-demand
                              "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

The Gophers published their TV schedulel today and FSN is making the trip to Houghton. The last time UMN was in Houghton, maybe 2 seasons ago, they skipped it.

On Monday Tech posted a video that will be a series called In the Crease, Mel answers some questions. It doesn't give me much hope for quality video this season for the games! I would think this would be the easy part, purchase an affordable HD flip camera, interview Mel and post the quality recording on the Athletics website, maybe my standards are too high, but the video seems dark/blurry, looks poorly done.

Comment

Working...
                                X