Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Prospective Top Freshman in 2012-13

BC fanboys never have valid points.
    Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
    when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
    Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
      It's a college hockey board, he has every right to voice his opinion... I was also expressing mine. Maybe a bit more snarkily, if that word even exists.
      Agreed, and I think your points were valid too. It's an interesting discussion. I can see both sides.
      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
        Agreed, and I think your points were valid too. It's an interesting discussion. I can see both sides.
        I actually can see both sides as well... If Grimaldi were to win ROTY there would be many that thought some other "true" freshie got screwed. If I had to guess, I would think that Rocco could care less about this stuff and just wants to be out there playing hockey. I think he will be going for Hobey anyhow...

Comment

I actually can see both sides as well... If Grimaldi were to win ROTY there would be many that thought some other "true" freshie got screwed. If I had to guess, I would think that Rocco could care less about this stuff and just wants to be out there playing hockey. I think he will be going for Hobey anyhow...
          Exactly. I would hope Rocco would be more concerned about winning a National title rather than some pointless ROY. The Hobey would be nice though.
          Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Not totally out of the question, which says something about his talent.

Comment

Exactly.... Rocco doesn't have time to worry about ROTY... he is too busy worrying about girls showing too much skin
              tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                Exactly.... Rocco doesn't have time to worry about ROTY... he is too busy worrying about girls showing too much skin
                Get with the times. That was last year, this year The Minister is all about the boobies.
                Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Come on. Agree with him or not, they were valid points.
                  FWIW, all the players mentioned in that line of posts are '93s (Grimaldi, Mike Reilly, Schmaltz, and Mario Lucia).

Does 4 games and practicing with a strong college team for a few months give a player that much of an advantage against players who played a full season last year and practiced with inferior teams? IMO, it is probably a wash. What Grimaldi gained (the college life experience) is probably equal to what he lost (playing/practice time and growing as a player). I don't think Grimaldi cares, but IMO because he is a freshman, he should be considered at that level in determining awards.
                  North Dakota
                  National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                    FWIW, all the players mentioned in that line of posts are '93s (Grimaldi, Mike Reilly, Schmaltz, and Mario Lucia).

Does 4 games and practicing with a strong college team for a few months give a player that much of an advantage against players who played a full season last year and practiced with inferior teams? IMO, it is probably a wash. What Grimaldi gained (the college life experience) is probably equal to what he lost (playing/practice time and growing as a player). I don't think Grimaldi cares, but IMO because he is a freshman, he should be considered at that level in determining awards.
                    I would go back and re-read the conversation
                    Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 08-28-2012, 12:33 PM.

Comment

I would go back and re-read the conversation
                      I get the line of the conversation I was merely inputting my thoughts that I consider Grimaldi a Freshman, and an equal to just about any other freshman in the country.
                      North Dakota

Comment

I get the line of the conversation I was merely inputting my thoughts that I consider Grimaldi a Freshman, and an equal to just about any other freshman in the country.
                        Never disagreed with any of that. Just pointing out that the other guy's points were legit as well

Comment

Never disagreed with any of that. Just pointing out that the other guy's points were legit as well
                          Did I say they were not valid? Certainly from a pure academic standpoint they likely are. Did Grimaldi take enough credits to be considered a Sophomore? Should anyone who spent 1 year on campus be considered a Sophomore? What about a high school student that takes enough credits to be considered a Sophomore? Should they not be considered a Freshman? What is more important, the time on campus or the credits taken? What if I spend just one semester on campus, but earn enough credits to be considered an academic Sophomore? On the converse, what if I spend 2 years at the school, yet only go part-time and have not acquired the credits necessary to be considered a Sophomore...am I a Freshman? A Junior? All of these (along with many more) questions are valid in relation to the question of whether someone should be considered a "Freshman."

However, this is a hockey board. Consequently, I would argue that the academic arguments are moot. Few people care if Thomas Vanek or Zach Parise are considered "Juniors" or "Seniors" or if they have graduated. They have no athletic eligibility any longer. All that truly matters is what the governing body (NCAA) says about a player's eligibility. If they conclude that Rocco Grimaldi is still a Freshman (which they have), then he should be on the same level as any other Freshman coming into college hockey this season. Why? Well, that's what I discussed in my post as far as why I feel that Grimaldi should be on the same level.

Everyone has their own opinions. Ultimately, I don't think anyone really cares too much one way or the other. If a voter who is deciding a Freshman of the Year Award (or more commonly called "Rookie of the Year" in the WCHA) decides to overlook Grimaldi because of the 4 games from last season, that is their choice. They certainly have arguments in their favor. My point is that I feel those arguments are flawed.
                          North Dakota

Comment

Did I say they were not valid? Certainly from a pure academic standpoint they likely are. Did Grimaldi take enough credits to be considered a Sophomore? Should anyone who spent 1 year on campus be considered a Sophomore? What about a high school student that takes enough credits to be considered a Sophomore? Should they not be considered a Freshman? What is more important, the time on campus or the credits taken? What if I spend just one semester on campus, but earn enough credits to be considered an academic Sophomore? On the converse, what if I spend 2 years at the school, yet only go part-time and have not acquired the credits necessary to be considered a Sophomore...am I a Freshman? A Junior? All of these (along with many more) questions are valid in relation to the question of whether someone should be considered a "Freshman."

However, this is a hockey board. Consequently, I would argue that the academic arguments are moot. Few people care if Thomas Vanek or Zach Parise are considered "Juniors" or "Seniors" or if they have graduated. They have no athletic eligibility any longer. All that truly matters is what the governing body (NCAA) says about a player's eligibility. If they conclude that Rocco Grimaldi is still a Freshman (which they have), then he should be on the same level as any other Freshman coming into college hockey this season. Why? Well, that's what I discussed in my post as far as why I feel that Grimaldi should be on the same level.

Everyone has their own opinions. Ultimately, I don't think anyone really cares too much one way or the other. If a voter who is deciding a Freshman of the Year Award (or more commonly called "Rookie of the Year" in the WCHA) decides to overlook Grimaldi because of the 4 games from last season, that is their choice. They certainly have arguments in their favor. My point is that I feel those arguments are flawed.
                            Screw the ROY just bring #8 home ****it.
                            Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Easy turbo. Not going to argue about something I never intended to argue about in the first place, so I will make this short. You quoted and replied to my comment, not vice versa.

I was just pointing out that the guy made valid points and didn't deserve the snarky response. I didn't say or imply anything else. Not sure why you felt the need to quote me, but I logically took that as you misread the premise of my response

I genuinely don't care one way or the other, which is why I don't want to argue with you about it.
                              Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 08-28-2012, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by icehawk View Post
                                Screw the ROY just bring #8 home ****it.
                                Agreed.

Easy turbo. Not going to argue about something I never intended to argue about in the first place, so I will make this short. You quoted and replied to my comment, not vice versa.

I was just pointing out that the guy made valid points and didn't deserve the snarky response. I didn't say or imply anything else. Not sure why you felt the need to quote me, but I logically took that as you misread the premise of my response

I genuinely don't care one way or the other, which is why I don't want to argue with you about it.
                                No worries Chester. Hopefully next time we understand where each other is coming from earlier.
                                North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                                X