Post Grad year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Grad year

Can a player play a post grad. year of hockey, after graduating High School, take College courses, and maintain four years of eligibility for a D3 or D1 institution?

Re: Post Grad year

I assume you mean post grad from high school. In the JWHL the post grad player must be 19 or younger as of 12/31 of that season. I'm pretty sure they can take college classes, but not more than 11 credits per semester. In order to maintain all future eligibility they can't be considered a full time student. 12 credits or more per semester changes status to full time. Once you become full time, I think you have 5 years to complete your 4 years of eligibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain_Hockey_Dad View Post
      I assume you mean post grad from high school. In the JWHL the post grad player must be 19 or younger as of 12/31 of that season. I'm pretty sure they can take college classes, but not more than 11 credits per semester. In order to maintain all future eligibility they can't be considered a full time student. 12 credits or more per semester changes status to full time. Once you become full time, I think you have 5 years to complete your 4 years of eligibility.
      Is it 11 credits? I thought anything more than two classes kicked the clock into gear.

Comment

I am pretty sure it is based on less than "full time status" whcih would be 11 credits or less during full semesters, but only say 5 credits during the popular 1/2 semesters in the late spring and summer.

Comment

Yes, I meant after playing her four years in High School. Then playing on a U19 team the year after H.S. graduation. She has been getting conflicting information. Thank you for your responses, we are fortunate to be able to use this forum to gather credible information.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhawks Rule View Post
            Yes, I meant after playing her four years in High School. Then playing on a U19 team the year after H.S. graduation. She has been getting conflicting information. Thank you for your responses, we are fortunate to be able to use this forum to gather credible information.
            Don't take anything you read here as gospel fact. If a student athlete's future is riding on the answer, I'd check with the NCAA or the compliance department at a member institution.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Credits earned are very different from time on the ice. Playing eligibility depends on D1 vs D3 and also has more to do with when you become a rostered player. Credits earned before enrollment will matter more to the status of being considered a transfer student vs an incoming freshman. There are ways to play as a grad student.

Comment

Can a player play a post grad. year of hockey, after graduating High School, take College courses, and maintain four years of eligibility for a D3 or D1 institution?
                I don't see why not. Quebecois typically finish an undergraduate degree in three years because of the design of their schooling, and considering the number of students that take time off for juniors, at least on the male side, why should it be any different for the women?

Comment

There are many, I repeat MANY, rules and factors to determine when the clock starts ticking on eligibility. There are also some exemptions, for example National team members during an Olympic year or armed forces service, that can extend the eligibility duration.

My advice. Read the NCAA rule book thoroughly first, and then work with your target school and or NCAA advisor to discuss the details of your situation, before making any decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    I don't see why not. Quebecois typically finish an undergraduate degree in three years because of the design of their schooling, and considering the number of students that take time off for juniors, at least on the male side, why should it be any different for the women?
                    There are special later "start" rules for NCAA men's hockey. Read the NCAA rule book first.

Comment

My daughter did this in the 2010-2011 season.

She did this to improve her SAT scores and to get ready to go to college full time. When she started grade 11 we found that she had a reading comprehension issue. She/we also knew around that time if she played college hockey it would be at a D3.

Our situation here in Dallas allowed for her to go a local JUCO and play on a good team. She had moved from defensive to forward her SR year (2009-20010) so another year at forward was good for her. She went to the JUCO and kept her schedule at less than 9 hours a semester to allow her to work on her studies. She took developmental classes in English & Math (which did not count towards her “NCAA clock”) and each semester she also took a PE class. She worked part-time at a local hockey shop and continued to train. This also allowed her to retake her SAT and she added 100 points to her math score (645) and 110 to English (695).

This allowed her to develop at her position and was recruited by four D3, including UMass-Boston. That is the one she wanted and chose. This fall will be her second year there.

Our situation was different and it was “perfect storm” for us. Check out your local situation and see what is available. If you are looking at a D1 situation you need to weigh your options.

Bottom line-
                      By the time you are 15 or 16 you have a pretty good idea if you are going to be on the National team. You have a pretty good idea if you may play someday for the Women’s Olympic Team. There are very few women playing pro-hockey, and IMHO there is a reason why those girls have to have a “support” job.

Use the hockey to go to college, use the college to get an education and a career.
                      Last edited by NoGo; 08-21-2012, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Yes - absolutely!

Comment

Originally posted by NoGo View Post
                          ...snip...

Use the hockey to go to college, use the college to get an education and a career.
                          Many people have said this, but this is the clearest it's been written that I've ever heard. Until there's a pro league for women that pay's a living salary, this is the best advice that a young woman hockey player can take.

Comment

Originally posted by NoGo View Post
                            Your closing sentence clinched it. Great exclamation point to drive the message home.

Comment

Thanks.

It was hard to develop a team here (in Dallas) and we tried different things. One thing we have had was a consistent coach, access to good facility’s and the handful of folks driving this thing. The folks that stepped in last year after I left have tried some new things themselves and attracted some players. Their efforts have paid off.

Each girl is different and so are their situations, I am a big proponent of the “post grade” year. Especially for girls that are D3 players, those looking to improve their grades, or SAT or ACT scores.

Comment

Working...
                              X