Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gophers @ Tech Road Trip - Planning, Coordination, Taunting, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gophers @ Tech Road Trip - Planning, Coordination, Taunting, etc.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I know some people that take I94 east to Eau Claire, then take 29 to Wausau and then go north through Rhinelander and Eagle River, I have gone that way, and I am sure that it is the longest time I've taken to get there. Cutting through Wisconsin on some combination of US8 and US63 is probably about the same as taking 35 to Duluth, but you have to slow down for so many small towns and the deer (and there are also elk along 77) are as thick as mosquitos (if you go this way, the fastest way is to take 77 east out of Hayward, and then taking GG in Clam Lake, to Mellen)
    You'll waste a ton of time going out to Eau Claire and Wausau. The fastest way is up 35 but then across on 70 (not 8) through Siren to Spooner, Hayward, Clam Lake, Mellen (via GG) and Ironwood. This has been extensively researched. Yes, the deer are a hazard but I'm not sure US 2 is better.
    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
      You'll waste a ton of time going out to Eau Claire and Wausau. The fastest way is up 35 but then across on 70 (not 8) through Siren to Spooner, Hayward, Clam Lake, Mellen (via GG) and Ironwood. This has been extensively researched. Yes, the deer are a hazard but I'm not sure US 2 is better.
      This is the one my client yesterday told me (his daughter is an ME student at Tech). If we go, I don't intend to be driving near dawn or dusk or after dark. I think the deer risk is minimized in that way. We also may take the 8-63 route just because my buddy has a place near Cumberland we may stop at (and yes, I know not to take 8 through Chisago Lakes area).

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
        This is the one my client yesterday told me (his daughter is an ME student at Tech). If we go, I don't intend to be driving near dawn or dusk or after dark. I think the deer risk is minimized in that way. We also may take the 8-63 route just because my buddy has a place near Cumberland we may stop at (and yes, I know not to take 8 through Chisago Lakes area).
        You'd take 94 to the 94/Wis 29 Interchange. Going all the way to Eau Claire would be out of your way since 29 doesn't run through Eau Claire.
        Originally posted by SCSU Euro
        What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
          You'd take 94 to the 94/Wis 29 Interchange. Going all the way to Eau Claire would be out of your way since 29 doesn't run through Eau Claire.
          I do think 94 to 29 to 51, etc would be fast if you lived south/southeast metro but since I never have, 35 to 2 has been the most consistent. The way through Mellen/Hayward can be fine but you're far more at the mercy of sunday drivers and traffic than 35 to 2.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

There's only one way to solve this debate. Each of you guys leave at the same time on a different route and may the best driver win. Someone else will have to start a riot in Madison to divert attention of the authorities.
            Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.

Comment

There's only one way to solve this debate. Each of you guys leave at the same time on a different route and may the best driver win. Someone else will have to start a riot in Madison to divert attention of the authorities.
              I that debate if you were to take 29 across to 51 it is quicker to get to Rhinelander via Hwy 8 instead of Hwy 17.
              What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

I that debate if you were to
                started the bar hop already?

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                  I do think 94 to 29 to 51, etc would be fast if you lived south/southeast metro but since I never have, 35 to 2 has been the most consistent. The way through Mellen/Hayward can be fine but you're far more at the mercy of sunday drivers and traffic than 35 to 2.
                  I've gone that way from Red Wing (gotten on 94 in Baldwin) and it took longer than just taking 63 all the way north to Hayward. It was longer by about 30 minutes.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

In that case, I think the Duluth route wins, because I think there is much more opportunity for speeding going that way.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                      I'd say there is some truth to this. I live in the north metro and its much easier to get on 35.
                      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

• Originally posted by geezer View Post
                        started the bar hop already?
                        I won't even be there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                          Yup. Technically you are going through Chippewa Falls.
                          tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

I won't even be there.
                            I was making a joke about your drunken grammar. But that sucks if you can't make it, sadly I won't be able to see the games either. I have a feeling there might be some top notch entertainment to be had this weekend. Tech might even pull off a win, if a goalie comes up big. The only things that would really surprise me are a Tech sweep or less than 30 penalty minutes in the series.

Comment

I was making a joke about your drunken grammar. But that sucks if you can't make it, sadly I won't be able to see the games either. I have a feeling there might be some top notch entertainment to be had this weekend. Tech might even pull off a win, if a goalie comes up big. The only things that would really surprise me are a Tech sweep or less than 30 penalty minutes in the series.
                              I chose not to go. It'll be on in HD here in Duluth. I'm hoping to get to a few more road series this season instead.

Comment

I chose not to go. It'll be on in HD here in Duluth. I'm hoping to get to a few more road series this season instead.
                                good call.

Comment

Working...
                                X