Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAH Hockey 2012-13: Still breathing

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    The only trouble with that is that college hockey teams are very limited in number of games as it is, and any club exhibition counts against your limit of 34 (for Ivy purposes, it's a scrimmage, so it doesn't count against the 29). If you were to use it as a tool to promote ice hockey to more colleges, especially colleges that are fully D-I, perhaps allow a one game exemption for a club team?
    Frankly, I would say there's some value in an "ambassadorship" game. Allow an exemption for one game against an identified collegiate club, and allow a second if the NCAA team will play that game in the club team's home venue.
    UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

• Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
      Frankly, I would say there's some value in an "ambassadorship" game. Allow an exemption for one game against an identified collegiate club, and allow a second if the NCAA team will play that game in the club team's home venue.
      We already have those. They're called exhibition games. Only most D1 schools choose to play the USNDT and/or a random Canadian university.
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
        Do you think it'd be more likely that they'd combine it with the one game international exemption, though, and possibly also a cross-division exemption similar to what they do in bouncyball?

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
          We already have those. They're called exhibition games. Only most D1 schools choose to play the USNDT and/or a random Canadian university.
          Those are specifically called out in the NCAA rules, though. You get one international exhibition exempt, and you get one game against a USA Hockey team exempt. There's also a special Olympic exemption in addition, but ever since they started using NHL players, no one uses that.

Comment

Not sure Iagree with brother dobbs on that. I know I'm in the minority but I'd say 34 regualr season games is fine when you add potentially 6-8 more playoff games and a couple of NCAA games in a season that is probably the longest in college athletics, we don't need more games. And while I'm sure it is a great thrill for the club teams I'm not sure how much fun it would be for BU to wallop the URI club team...You want to allow it as a scrimmage in addition to one of the Canadian teams that we typically schedule, or in place of it maybe, I guess that would be ok. But i'm not sure I see the value for either party for too many of these games. I mean UAH put a beating on Vandy's club. What do you think someone like Minnesota would do to them? 35-0?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
              I mean UAH put a beating on Vandy's club. What do you think someone like Minnesota would do to them? 35-0?
              I think that hits on why you don't see more of it. UAH is in a pretty unique situation. It would sound interesting to have Wisconsin schedule the Illinois ACHA team, but I'd be embarassed by what would happen. It would definitely highlight the difference between the programs, but I'm not so sure the fans would enjoy it, or it would nudge U of I to add a team.

I would like to see more cooperation between the NCAA and ACHA in general though. Maybe letting ACHA teams play games in a D1 facility on occasion, or NCAA coaches helping them run practices for a week. I'm not sure what would be best to bring more attention to the ACHA, but a 35 - 0 beating isn't likely it.

Comment

Originally posted by slowe View Post
                I think that hits on why you don't see more of it. UAH is in a pretty unique situation. It would sound interesting to have Wisconsin schedule the Illinois ACHA team, but I'd be embarassed by what would happen. It would definitely highlight the difference between the programs, but I'm not so sure the fans would enjoy it, or it would nudge U of I to add a team.

I would like to see more cooperation between the NCAA and ACHA in general though. Maybe letting ACHA teams play games in a D1 facility on occasion, or NCAA coaches helping them run practices for a week. I'm not sure what would be best to bring more attention to the ACHA, but a 35 - 0 beating isn't likely it.
                Letting ACHA teams play games in a D1 facility isn't a decision made by the NCAA. Not to mention, you can play there, but what are you going to do to promote it?

Comment

I'm sure it could be used to get game experience for scratches as well as potentially evaluating walk-on prospects. Michigan Tech used this year's intrasquad game to play a few potential walk-ons.
                  Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                  What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                    I'm sure it could be used to get game experience for scratches as well as potentially evaluating walk-on prospects. Michigan Tech used this year's intrasquad game to play a few potential walk-ons.
                    It could, but so could a game against, oh I don't know, McGill and the latter is probably more competitive and provides a truer picture of people's various skills. In fact UConn has traditionally played everyone in those games, often rotating goalies even, playing different combos on lines,things like that, especially in the 2nd and 3rd periods.

Comment

Here, there would be a financial value as well.

If the Huskers played UNO in an "ambassador" game, you wouldn't be able to get near the venue it was being held in.

Comment

I think it would be more beneficial done in conjunction some type of Hockey Day in America event, with scrimmage/practice and getting local youth teams involved. Especially in non-traditional hockey areas

Comment

Originally posted by fangers View Post
                          I think it would be more beneficial done in conjunction some type of Hockey Day in America event, with scrimmage/practice and getting local youth teams involved. Especially in non-traditional hockey areas
                          It would have to be also organized at the College Hockey Inc. level.
                          Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                          What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                            It would have to be also organized at the College Hockey Inc. level.
                            True, but then that would require CHI to actually do something...

Comment

We only played club teams to get home games. If Portera hadn't scuppered the program, we'd have had a fine home schedule this year, one that would've involved USNTDP U-18 as we did this weekend and have the last three seasons. We added Oklahoma to the schedule because we didn't want to go a month between games. As it is, Saturday was our last home game until October. Don't take anything about how this season's schedule has gone very seriously at all.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

The best of luck to UAH and their fans tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X