Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAH Hockey 2012-13: Still breathing

Originally posted by UAHSTUDENT View Post
    I understand there are many passionate fans from past eras when the team's head was above water, and I agree that entrance into conference play (any conference) would greatly improve the team itself and the enviroment surroundng the team with more time spent here in Huntsville. The problem I am simply addressing is what happens in the next season or two seasons when they are still without a conference. I just can't see any conference biting at the heels when home games aren't drawing anywhere near 1,000 fans...not even 500 fans at times to the VBC. I just cannot fathom a scenario where this team given all the variables I am seeing finds its way into a conference prior to the 2014-15 season, and thats only if the current coaching change fundamentally changes the way these guys are playing and we see a move back to a near .500 season. I suppose the question is when will the current and former UAH hockey fans as well as UAH administration admit that this ship cannot be righted and the plug needs to be pulled on this dying patient?
    If we don't get into a league, we're most surely done for. But we're not going down without a fight, which is what the prior university (interim) president wanted. The current president, Dr. Altenkirch, allowed us and worked with us to come up with a plan to keep the program alive, hinging on us getting into a conference. If it happens, our work goes into high gear. If not, we're done for. But I'm grateful for the chance.

Charge on.
    Michael Napier - UAH '97
    uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
    U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
    NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
    CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
    CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

I am curious, was that 5,000 attendance on free game night?
      I do not know about any promotions. Perhaps you should research the link I gave you and come up with an answer yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
        If we don't get into a league, we're most surely done for. But we're not going down without a fight, which is what the prior university (interim) president wanted. The current president, Dr. Altenkirch, allowed us and worked with us to come up with a plan to keep the program alive, hinging on us getting into a conference. If it happens, our work goes into high gear. If not, we're done for. But I'm grateful for the chance.

Charge on.
        This is where I am at. I am sorry if I am putting out the wrong idea, I would love to see UAH Hockey turn around and see it return to prominence, However, passionate fans cannot fix bad coaching and lack luster players. Grassroot efforts only work if team and administrative dynamics change and drastically...I am just not seeing it.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          I do not know about any promotions. Perhaps you should research the link I gave you and come up with an answer yourself.
          The 5,000 attendance was on free game night. I don't think thats a fair representation...you have "free" anything at the VBC and you will draw a crowd. I did some fishing, 5,000 attendance was the highest fan attendance for a UAH game in 3 years. Average attendance since 2010-11 at VBC for UAH games: 1,002. I have been proven wrong, my apologies.

Comment

I am curious, was that 5,000 attendance on free game night?
            It was. We had the WCHA in town. We wanted to show them that there's still a market for UAH hockey in Huntsville, and that if we get into their league and work toward being competitive, a good chunk of those 5,000 will become paying customers.

If we didn't get the bump, that would've been bad. But we got even more than expected, and it was great.
            Michael Napier - UAH '97
            uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
            U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
            NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
            CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
            CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

I think "struggling" is being very generous. If UAH men's basketball lost to an All-Star highschool team fans would be screaming from the rafters for blood. When you can lose to an Under-18 team and people aren't suprised you have gone from "struggling" to "awful." Trust me I know, I am a UT football fan.
              Being a fan of a team that has not only lost to USA U-18, but has also seen a couple of USA U-18 players wearing my team's jersey (including a WJC gold medal winner), I'll tell you that these kids constantly train and are some of the best in the world. If you've ever seen them in international play, they are scary good. A game against consistent gold medal competitors does not define your season.

Since you've basically shown that you only came on here to pretty much slander your school's team, don't be surprised if you get a rough time here.

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
                It was, so before you start with "see?!?!?!":

We had the WCHA in town. We wanted to show them that there's still a market for UAH hockey in Huntsville, and that if we get into their league and work toward being competitive, a good chunk of those 5,000 will become paying customers.

If we didn't get the bump, that would've been bad. But we got even more than expected, and it was great.
                The average since free game night at VBC: 912

Comment

The 5,000 attendance was on free game night. I don't think thats a fair representation...you have "free" anything at the VBC and you will draw a crowd. I did some fishing, 5,000 attendance was the highest fan attendance for a UAH game in 3 years. Average attendance since 2010-11 at VBC for UAH games: 1,002. I have been proven wrong, my apologies.
                  Oh gee, you've once again only looked at the independent years. Try looking when the team was actually in a league. Idiot.

Comment

The average since free game night at VBC: 912
                    1431, 1381, 1469, add 'em up for 4281, average of, assuming I can still do math, 1427. Once again, you have proved your idiocy. Go back to your English homework.

Comment

Being a fan of a team that has not only lost to USA U-18, but has also seen a couple of USA U-18 players wearing my team's jersey (including a WJC gold medal winner), I'll tell you that these kids constantly train and are some of the best in the world. If you've ever seen them in international play, they are scary good. A game against consistent gold medal competitors does not define your season.

Since you've basically shown that you only came on here to pretty much slander your school's team, don't be surprised if you get a rough time here.
                      Its ok guys, I understand the animosity but also am enjoying the conversation. I am suprised to see so many responses so fast in defense of UAH Hockey and that is definitely a good sign. I think the hardship for this squad is also what gives it some of its charm: it's in the South. In SEC country people like victories in all sports as often as possible. I think UAH hockey's dip will only get worse if they don't win....and they are losing far more than they are winning now. When do you guys think realistically will be UAH's next winning season? Serious question.

Comment

1431, 1381, 1469, add 'em up for 4281, average of, assuming I can still do math, 1427. Once again, you have proved your idiocy. Go back to your English homework.
                        1427. The numbers I got were "non-child" adult passes. I assume they give out free tickets to the under 5 crowd. When I went back and looked the numbers you gave included those kids, fair enough, fans are fans and I apologize. Still though, 1,400 is a very low number for any Div-I sport. I went to a soccer game at MTSU last Spring that drew nearly 1,300.

Comment

UAHSTUDENT,
                          The coaching isn't bad. Our current coach was hired two weeks before the season began, so he is working with recruits he did not bring in, and you can't change a system overnight. Coach Kleinendorst is a former NHL assistant coach who won a Stanley Cup, and two seasons ago won the AHL title as a coach. Yes, the team is bad this year, but you have to give the coach time to bring in recruits and implement his style of play.

Comment

Oh gee, you've once again only looked at the independent years. Try looking when the team was actually in a league. Idiot.
                            Wow just went back into the 90's and looked at the numbers....ok UAH was a very good hockey team then. My hats off, should have researched that out.

Comment

Originally posted by UAHFAN61 View Post
                              UAHSTUDENT,
                              The coaching isn't bad. Our current coach was hired two weeks before the season began, so he is working with recruits he did not bring in, and you can't change a system overnight. Coach Kleinendorst is a former NHL assistant coach who won a Stanley Cup, and two seasons ago won the AHL title as a coach. Yes, the team is bad this year, but you have to give the coach time to bring in recruits and implement his style of play.
                              Given what you know as a fan and what you are seeing on the ice when do you think UAH's next winning season will be?

Comment

1427. The numbers I got were "non-child" adult passes. I assume they give out free tickets to the under 5 crowd. When I went back and looked the numbers you gave included those kids, fair enough, fans are fans and I apologize. Still though, 1,400 is a very low number for any Div-I sport. I went to a soccer game at MTSU last Spring that drew nearly 1,300.
                                You've never seen AIC or most Atlantic hockey games involving schools with letters not including R, I, and T, eh?

Comment

Working...
                                X