Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2012-2013 - The LaBahn Era Begins

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    That's exactly where I was going with this. I'll never get to Ridder, so I'll never be able to compare them myself, but it sounds like BA cheaped out the public areas in the LaBahn to a certain extent. Hopefully he didn't cheap out the player amenities, that is what is most important. It's an arms race so why build new and be inferior?
    I don't want to make any final judgements until I see the finished product. Ridder is a nice set-up with a combo of bench seating (with backs) and individual seats that go all the around in a full bowl, plus rails for standing room which a lot of people like to use. I also know they put in a new four-sided scoreboard with video within the last year. I don't know about any of the behind the scenes amenities, but I assume it's pretty nice.

Comment

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-ho...082112aaa.html
      August is usually thought of as a big time of the year for the sport of hockey, but it has been a busy month for a select group of Wisconsin women’s hockey players, as ten players were called up to skate with their respective national teams. USA Hockey selected eight Badgers to participate at its women’s national team camp in Blaine, Minn., including Alex Rigsby (Delafield, Wis.), Courtney Burke (Albany, N.Y.), Alev Kelter (Eagle River, Alaska) and Brianna Decker (Dousman, Wis.), along with former Badgers Jessie Vetter (Cottage Grove, Wis.), Molly Engstrom (Siren, Wis.), Brooke Ammerman (River Vale, N.J.) and Erika Lawler (Fitchburg, Mass.).

Hockey Canada held a separate camp for its women’s under-22 team and invited two Badger defenders, Saige Pacholok (Edmonton, Alberta) and Katarina Zgraja (Waterloo, Ontario). Assistant coach Jackie Friesen was also asked to attend to help coach the camp.

After both camps ended in mid-August, the U.S. and Canadian U-22 teams faced-off in a three-game series (Aug. 16-19) at the WinSport Canada Athletic & Ice Complex in Calgary, Alberta. Of the players eligible for the series, Decker, Kelter and Rigsby, were the only UW players selected to participate in the slate of games.

Decker was named captain of the U.S. squad for the event, her first time donning the ‘C’ for a U.S. national team.

Decker, Kelter and Rigsby helped the U.S. claim its first-ever sweep over Canada in the five-year history of the series. The U.S. outscored Canada 12-7 in the three-game event. Decker recorded one assist in the opening game, before scoring two goals and tallying one assist in the second period of the third game. Kelter assisted on the game-winning goal in game three as team USA rallied from an early deficit to win. Rigsby played all 60 minutes in both the first and third games, making a total of 46 saves on 50 shots in the two games.

With national team training done for the summer, the Badgers now turn their focus on preparing for the upcoming season. The start of the season is just a little more than a month away, as the women’s hockey team opens the 2012-13 slate on Sept. 28 with a trip to Minnesota State.
      All around the world, everyone knows when you say Wisconsin, you said it all.
      A Badger living in Buckeye country.
      Originally posted by MadCityRich
      He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
      Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
      Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
      Originally posted by Timothy A
      I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
      "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

http://twitter.com/BadgerWHockey/sta...641985/photo/1

Not sure this link will work or not, but a nice shot of the continued work inside LaBahn Arena. Looks like there will be railings for standing-room which is nice.

Comment

Originally posted by EastFan1 View Post
          WI probably needs 110 regular season goals or more to be in the mix in the WCHA and NCAA tourney. WI had 158 regular season goals last year, 134 if you ignore Lindenwood. WI's three seniors had 92 goals.

I doubt WI is going to squeeze an additional 30 or 40 goals out of the existing line up. An entire line up just doesn't double up their scoring in a random year. Without the seniors, I would expect WI to be in the 90 to 95 goal range which was good for the 5 or 6 spot last year.
          You are only looking at one side of the equation. I don't think anyone who follows the Women's team thinks they will score like they have for most of the past 6 seasons, but even if they score 90 to 95 goals, I don't think they are going to let up a significant amount more than they did last season. While the games might be closer, they are still going to win and be at the top of the WCHA once again.

In conference last year they only allowed 44 goals. Only minnesota was better at 43 and Duluth was a distant 3rd at 61. Rigsby is back, and the blue line is among the best in the country w/ a ton of experience.

Also, I think there are some players ready to step up and fill the void. That was tough last season playing in the shadow of three dominant seniors and Decker at forward. I think a healthy Madison Packer makes a big impact on the ice all around.

Bought season tickets again, hope to make more than 5 games. Life was much simplier when I plan everything around Badger Hockey.
          Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
          Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
          Originally posted by UWisco
          It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

The Minnesota Women's Hockey team just put out this announcement on Facebook about their series in Madtown in January:
            For any of you GWH fans who were thinking about traveling to Madison for our games at the new LaBahn Arena, we have a schedule change! The games will now be on Friday, Jan. 25 and Sunday, Jan. 27. There will be not be a game on Saturday, Jan. 26 anymore.
            Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
            Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
            Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-ho...090612aaa.html

Just following up the above post with the official UW press release. Honestly, this is kind of a joke. While I might understand why you can't play hockey games at Kohl and LaBahn at the same time (not enough zambonis?), I don't see any real reason why women's hockey can't play during a basketball game, which is the reason for the re-scheduling.

Now one of the biggest home games of the year (against Minnesota) is on a Friday early afternoon and another game is now 11:00 on a Sunday morning. Still being scheduled as a second or third tier sport at the UW. I would love a further explanation from someone in the administration.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
                http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-ho...090612aaa.html

Just following up the above post with the official UW press release. Honestly, this is kind of a joke. While I might understand why you can't play hockey games at Kohl and LaBahn at the same time (not enough zambonis?), I don't see any real reason why women's hockey can't play during a basketball game, which is the reason for the re-scheduling.

Now one of the biggest home games of the year (against Minnesota) is on a Friday early afternoon and another game is now 11:00 on a Sunday morning. Still being scheduled as a second or third tier sport at the UW. I would love a further explanation from someone in the administration.
                I agree 100%. The only thought I had is maybe 100 people might want to go to both games, and if they are at the same time, that can't happen, seems pretty silly to me. 11:00 on a Sunday morning is a total joke. No rodentettes at prime time is a travesty.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I agree 100%. The only thought I had is maybe 100 people might want to go to both games, and if they areat the same time, that can't happen, seems pretty silly to me. 11:00 on a Sunday morning is a total joke. No rodentettes at prime time is a travesty.
                  UW doesn't make those considerations when scheduling women's hockey & volleyball head-to-head and there would be more crossover in fan bases than men's basketball. The only possible reasons would be staff and/or parking issues, but not really sure. It's frustrating whatever the case.

Comment

If the University with the best record in the history of NCAA era women's hockey cannot be bothered to give respect to its hockey team then it is hard to imagine where and when women's hockey will ever get any respect.
                    Last edited by ManBehindTheCurtain; 09-12-2012, 08:14 PM.
                    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                      If the University with the best record in the history of NCAA era women's hockey cannot be bothered to give respect to its hockey team then it is hard to imagine where and when women's hockey will ever get any respect.
                      Probably Minnesota.

When your AD is an ex-football coach, everything else but football to him is just an annoyance. Would the Labahn ever have got off the ground if the UW women's program was just a .500 program? I doubt BA would have built a new facility just to have the men practice in it.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                        Agree....

Comment

Probably Minnesota.

When your AD is an ex-football coach, everything else but football to him is just an annoyance. Would the Labahn ever have got off the ground if the UW women's program was just a .500 program? I doubt BA would have built a new facility just to have the men practice in it.
                          I think the arena would have been built eventually if women's hockey was average, but the capacity would have probably been less and taken out additional amenities. For a practice facility, all you really need is decent locker rooms, video/training areas and a quality sheet of ice. The seating, video displays, bathrooms and concession areas are for actual games. I'm extremely interested to see how those areas stack up.

It's not like the UW hasn't done a lot for the program over the years. I remember the early years of watching them play out at the Coliseum in front of maybe 100 people. Starting October 19, it will be a radically different game environment than those days.

After all the progress they have made, the re-scheduling of the three games just seems like a step backwards.

Comment

I think the arena would have been built eventually if women's hockey was average, but the capacity would have probably been less and taken out additional amenities. For a practice facility, all you really need is decent locker rooms, video/training areas and a quality sheet of ice. The seating, video displays, bathrooms and concession areas are for actual games. I'm extremely interested to see how those areas stack up.

It's not like the UW hasn't done a lot for the program over the years. I remember the early years of watching them play out at the Coliseum in front of maybe 100 people. Starting October 19, it will be a radically different game environment than those days.

After all the progress they have made, the re-scheduling of the three games just seems like a step backwards.
                            While I hate to come across as a wet blanket I just have to say the fan areas don't stack up unfortunately.. If this venue would have been built as originally designed it could have been on par with others recently built in its size range at the National Collegiate and Division III levels. However after seeing the nearly complete facility last week I was deeply disappointed in what has turned out to be the finished product. While there are some nice touches including the athlete amenities, I cant help but feel that the spectator areas took a huge hit when the project was scaled back. The bleachers were uncomfortable and seem like the cheapest quality available, concession area and restrooms seem adequate for no more than 200-400 people. As for game environment I think the cozy space could get quite loud when full and the seamless glass is always a nice option, which is good. As for the rail behind the seating I was informed that these areas will be reserved for wheelchairs only and fans standing in this area will not be permitted during play . Also it was noted that photographers in the seats will be relegated to the filming balcony or the floor on the north end of the ice. Overall, while the spectator areas may be lacking there are not many women's programs that have their own sauna, hot and cold spas for their women's hockey team in addition to a larger locker room than the men;s team. If I were a Hockey or Swimming student athlete at UW I would be really excited to have this facility after all of the shuffling done in the past. As a fan who was hoping for a mecca of sorts I feel like the UW AD missed the mark in a number of areas.

When I asked about the schedule changes, I was told that while its unfortunate, its nearly impossible to staff and operate both venues simultaneously during a "Large" Kohl Center event, regardless of what the event is. Basically, they are saying when you add the Kohl-Labahn events, Parking for all the spectators, and any other campus or community downtown events together something has to give and they have chosen to move the event that effects the "least amount of people". Until the women's hockey team can draw enough support (ie:fill the kohl center) that they get the same consideration with scheduling this is the way it will be..
                            The WCHA Dynasty
                            Wisconsin
                            National Championships: 2011,2009,2007,2006; Runners Up: 2012, 2008
                            MOP Winners: Bauer (07), Duggan (11), Knight (11), Vetter (06, 09)

Minnesota
                            National Championships: 2012, 2005, 2004, 2000 (AWCHA); Runners Up: 2006
                            MOP Winners: Darwitz (05), Killewald (00), Raty(12), Wendell (04)

Minnesota-Duluth
                            National Championships: 2010, 2008, 2003, 2002, 2001; Runners Up: 2007
                            MOP Winners: Blais (10), Martin (08), Ouellette (03), Rooth (01)

Comment

Originally posted by WHKY blogger View Post
                              While I hate to come across as a wet blanket I just have to say the fan areas don't stack up unfortunately.. If this venue would have been built as originally designed it could have been on par with others recently built in its size range at the National Collegiate and Division III levels. However after seeing the nearly complete facility last week I was deeply disappointed in what has turned out to be the finished product. While there are some nice touches including the athlete amenities, I cant help but feel that the spectator areas took a huge hit when the project was scaled back. The bleachers were uncomfortable and seem like the cheapest quality available, concession area and restrooms seem adequate for no more than 200-400 people. As for game environment I think the cozy space could get quite loud when full and the seamless glass is always a nice option, which is good. As for the rail behind the seating I was informed that these areas will be reserved for wheelchairs only and fans standing in this area will not be permitted during play . Also it was noted that photographers in the seats will be relegated to the filming balcony or the floor on the north end of the ice. Overall, while the spectator areas may be lacking there are not many women's programs that have their own sauna, hot and cold spas for their women's hockey team in addition to a larger locker room than the men;s team. If I were a Hockey or Swimming student athlete at UW I would be really excited to have this facility after all of the shuffling done in the past. As a fan who was hoping for a mecca of sorts I feel like the UW AD missed the mark in a number of areas.

When I asked about the schedule changes, I was told that while its unfortunate, its nearly impossible to staff and operate both venues simultaneously during a "Large" Kohl Center event, regardless of what the event is. Basically, they are saying when you add the Kohl-Labahn events, Parking for all the spectators, and any other campus or community downtown events together something has to give and they have chosen to move the event that effects the "least amount of people". Until the women's hockey team can draw enough support (ie:fill the kohl center) that they get the same consideration with scheduling this is the way it will be..
                              Nothing that you stated really surprises me. I knew when they cut the budget, it was no longer going to be the Taj Mahal of women's hockey arenas. With that said, I'm glad that the player amenities are still there which makes it a great recruiting tool. Ideally, some of these issues (seating, concessions, etc) can be improved/enhanced over time with the right fund-raising.

I still don't buy that they can't handle a game at both Kohl and LaBahn. I don't feel like doing the research, but has Minnesota never had games at either Ridder, Mariucci and/or Williams Arena at the same time?

Comment

I still don't buy that they can't handle a game at both Kohl and LaBahn. I don't feel like doing the research, but has Minnesota never had games at either Ridder, Mariucci and/or Williams Arena at the same time?
                                Last year almost every Friday night the Gopher women's hockey team was at home, so was the men's team. The start times were slightly staggered -- 6 p.m. for the women, 7 p.m. for the men -- but there was definitely overlap. On Saturdays, when the men's b-ball team was also home, they played in the early afternoon (noon or 1 p.m.), the women's hockey team played at 4 p.m., and men's hockey game was at 7 p.m.
                                Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                                Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                                Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X