Wisconsin Badgers 2012-2013 - The LaBahn Era Begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2012-2013 - The LaBahn Era Begins

2. Only the first (10/19/12 vs. Bemidji) and the most recent (1/27/13 vs. Minnesota) are shown as being sellouts (per official capacity of 2,273).
    Plus at least 2 more this weekend...

5. Three games last season had attendance below 1,000 (vs. this season's low of 1,262). The lowest was 544 vs. Lindenwood on 9/25/11.
    All 3 of those games were also non-typical situations. The Lindenwood game was free, so the only tickets sold were season tickets, and I don't even remember them having the turnstiles out. It was still a small crowd, it was played in September afterall, but it skews the numbers. The other two, I assume, were the two WCHA playoff games, which were sell-outs, but at the Eagles Nest that seats less than 1000.

If you've still got the numbers out, I'd be curious to see what the average looks like with only the Kohl games, not the WCHA playoffs, and removing the two outliers of the Lindenwood and Fill the Bowl games.
    Considering it cost over $25 million to build a 2,273 capacity LaBahn, how much more would it have cost to build a 3,500 capacity LaBahn?
    I have no idea either, but the seating was a tiny fraction of the overall cost, which included not just the building and ice, but a bunch of other locker rooms and other things for the hockey and swimming programs. How much more could it have really cost to add an extra 5-6 rows of metal bleachers?

I was trying to find the cost estimates for the original arena plans, which would have been at least 4,000 seats, but I couldn't find any numbers.
    If you look at it from an accountant's point of view, you would say it's plenty big enough, as they don't fill all the seats now nor would they have filled them for half the games last year when they were played at Kohl. So it was "prudent" to build it as they did because the added revenue would have taken decades to pay for the extra construction cost.
    From a bean counters point of view, you send the women out to play in Verona every night in front of a sold-out crowd of 900 people, since it is a non-revenue sport. Of course, LaBahn wasn't built because of women's hockey, it was built because the men needed a place to practice, and having the women play their games there was basically an afterthought.
    Last edited by Nowheresville; 02-13-2013, 05:39 PM.

Comment

BTW, It looks like the always popular Friday afternoon games will never be going away.

While trying to find the original plans and cost for the 4,000 LaBahn, I discovered that as part of getting the permit from the City to build LaBahn, UW had to agree that they wouldn't hold events in both buildings at the same time.

So I feel at least a little better that the UW has a reason for the crappy scheduling.

Comment

Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post
        BTW, It looks like the always popular Friday afternoon games will never be going away.

While trying to find the original plans and cost for the 4,000 LaBahn, I discovered that as part of getting the permit from the City to build LaBahn, UW had to agree that they wouldn't hold events in both buildings at the same time.

So I feel at least a little better that the UW has a reason for the crappy scheduling.
        I would love to know why in the world the City of Madison would be opposed to having events at Kohl/LaBahn at the same time. Even with that, they could move the women's games to 4 which would be a little better.

Comment

Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post
          If you've still got the numbers out, I'd be curious to see what the average looks like with only the Kohl games, not the WCHA playoffs, and removing the two outliers of the Lindenwood and Fill the Bowl games.
          Here you go - this all games last season:

2011-12 Season (all at Kohl)
          09/23/2011 LU 1,417
          09/25/2011 LU 544
          10/08/2011 UND 2,136
          10/09/2011 UND 1,971
          10/14/2011 UM 2,379
          10/16/2011 UM 2,603
          10/28/2011 BU 2,046
          10/29/2011 BU 2,243
          11/25/2011 SCSU 2,758
          11/27/2013 SCSU 2,615
          01/20/2012 UMD 1,924
          01/21/2012 UMD 3,694
          01/27/2012 BSU 2,690
          01/28/2012 BSU 12,402
          02/03/2012 MSU 2,047
          02/05/2012 MSU 2,695
          02/17/2012 OSU 2,157
          02/18/2012 OSU 3,576

WCHA Playoffs
          02/24/2012 MSU 804
          02/25/2012 MSU 824

NCAA Tourney
          03/10/2012 MU 2,946
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            Here you go - this all games last season:

2011-12 Season (all at Kohl)

WCHA Playoffs
            02/24/2012 MSU 804
            02/25/2012 MSU 824
            Those two were at the Eagles Nest in Verona (because of the state high school wresting tournament at Kohl Center).
            Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
            Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
            Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

I'm not going to be able to use my season tickets this weekend, so both Saturday and Sunday are up for grabs. Free to a good home, though I do accept gifts

I'm in Milwaukee, but I'll be at the men's game tomorrow night if someone wanted to meet up there. Otherwise, I could find out if I could leave them at the Kohl for LaBahn will call pick up.

Message me and they're yours.
              It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

Originally posted by tristarscoop View Post
                I'm not going to be able to use my season tickets this weekend, so both Saturday and Sunday are up for grabs. Free to a good home, though I do accept gifts

I'm in Milwaukee, but I'll be at the men's game tomorrow night if someone wanted to meet up there. Otherwise, I could find out if I could leave them at the Kohl for LaBahn will call pick up.

Message me and they're yours.
                Okay, I just made an account on this forum (though I've been lurking since the spring), and I can't figure out how to send a private message. I clicked some links in the FAQ search for "private message," but I got a message that says, "Your administrator has disabled private messaging."

Edit/Addition: I'm interested in the Saturday game, and I'll be at the men's game Friday night.
                Last edited by WiscDC; 02-14-2013, 09:08 PM. Reason: Added detail.

Comment

Originally posted by tristarscoop View Post
                  ...but I'll be at the men's game tomorrow night if someone wanted to meet up there.
                  But wouldn't you rather see a Badgers' team win?
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                    Okay, I just made an account on this forum (though I've been lurking since the spring), and I can't figure out how to send a private message. I clicked some links in the FAQ search for "private message," but I got a message that says, "Your administrator has disabled private messaging."

Edit/Addition: I'm interested in the Saturday game, and I'll be at the men's game Friday night.
                    Well maybe they did that and I didn't notice? I've been around awhile, but I lurk more than post. Anyway, email me nicole (dot) haase (at) g mail and we'll figure out a way to meet up tonight. The Saturday tickets are yours.

If anyone wants Sunday's women's tickets, let me know at the same email.
                    It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-ho...-W-Hockey.html

While a Badger sweep would clinch no worse than third in conference, even a split will probably get them there....not that I want to concede anything to UMD.

Comment

Wow, that was a first period of hockey. Duluth is playing extremely chippy, and there has only been a couple minutes of 5 on 5. Badger power play hasn't been too sharp, wasting a nearly 2 minute long 5 on 3, but they did take advantage of a later pp, with kelter punching one in on a cross ice pass. The badger pk has been very strong Though, with a couple good shorty chances.

Crowd is bigger than the mn sellout, but there are still plenty of open seats. Saw at least 2 families turned away, and 1 who only got in because I gave him an extra.
                        Last edited by Nowheresville; 02-16-2013, 08:27 PM.

Comment

The rivalry lives on. An extremely physical first period and a very eventful game for Madison Packer. Two goals, an assist, a penalty and drew at least two penalties in the third including getting tripped by Black. With that said, Brianna Decker put on another show even though she "only" ended up with two assists. Clearly the best player on the ice.

Maybe a couple hundred empty seats, but many people choose standing-room and I don't know how that figures into how they sell tickets.

Win clinches home-ice for the playoffs and a win tomorrow wraps up third place at the worst.

Comment

I actually think Decker has been a far better and more important player this year, compared to last. Of course, there's no way she repeats as Kaz winner, but it would be real interesting if she had some more pieces around her this year.

Actually talked with Packer's mom a bit during the game, who was quite happy at how well her daughter had controlled herself during that very physical first period. But then was not as happy about the dumb, and obvious, penalty she took in the 2nd. Certainly another good game from her. She's really going to be a very important piece next year.

Comment

Very entertaining game yesterday in front of a crowd that was officially a sellout and seemed pretty close to it.

Much cleaner played than Saturdays' penalty-fest and was even throughout. The difference (big surprise) ended up being Brianna Decker. After Turnbull scored on a fortunate goal late in the third to tie it up, Decker gets the game-winner directly off her own face-off win and beats Black on a backhand flip. Great way to end senior day!

Win wraps up third place (at worse) and still keeps the hope alive for second. Need UMD to rise up and take a game from North Dakota and also need to take care of Bemidji, who have proven to be a thorn in the past.

Comment

Awesome game to be at yesterday. Decker is freaking good. She totally embarrassed UMD herself in the OT, winning the faceoff, splitting 2 players, undressing the Black hole. She is just magic with the puck.

We took 12 HS boys to the game, they were very vocal down along the boards in the far end of the rink. It was a first game for 4 of them, and they had a blast.

The refs let ALOT go, way too much. Both teams got away with a lot, but I think UMD got away with more for most of the game and UW got away with stuff once they got the lead in the 3rd.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X