Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2012-2013 - The LaBahn Era Begins

Originally posted by greenmtngirl View Post
    Hey Badger fans, we're driving down for the weekend to see the teams play, and were crushed to hear that the Sunday game was already sold out. Any idea where we might be able to come by some tickets? We'll be there on Friday regardless but it's kind of a bummer to take two days off work and make the drive, and then not be able to get in to Sunday's game.
    I'd be in the same boat, but . . . I just got an email from my friend in Madison who said that he has our tickets in hand. Whew.

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
      Sure is an unfortunate situation for women's hockey when you could almost certainly sell more seats but don't have more to sell.
      I agree they built too small of an arena for a major program like Wisconsin's, but on the other hand sell-outs are always a good thing for creating "buzz" and interest. Maybe when fans can't get a ticket to a few games like Sunday's they'll sell a few more for other games where there are plenty of seats available.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        I agree they built too small of an arena for a major program like Wisconsin's, but on the other hand sell-outs are always a good thing for creating "buzz" and interest. Maybe when fans can't get a ticket to a few games like Sunday's they'll sell a few more for other games where there are plenty of seats available.
        I doubt that this is the way it will work. More likely, those that are turned away, at least those who are only casual fans, will find something else to do. You don't build a market with the less desirable events.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
          Boy, the original design for 4,400 looks really good right about now. Wonder if they will consider moving games to Kohl (if available) for high-demand games like this.
          I can't imagine they will at this point. If they ever were going to, this would be the perfect weekend. The men are already playing Saturday night, and there are no events planned for the Kohl on Sunday or Monday, so you could easily just leave the ice in place. The reality is if they aren't willing to bother with a "fill the bowl" game anymore, its pretty clear the women won't be back in the Kohl again.

I've made my feelings about LaBahn clear in the past - I think it is going to do long term harm to the fan base of women's hockey. Keeping people from going to the games is a big part of it. If people don't think they can get a ticket, they aren't going to check it out. Last year, the team was drawing 3k fans to Sunday afternoon games, once football season was over, so this was very predictable. I'm just curious if it will happen again when Duluth comes to town again in a few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post
            I can't imagine they will at this point. If they ever were going to, this would be the perfect weekend. The men are already playing Saturday night, and there are no events planned for the Kohl on Sunday or Monday, so you could easily just leave the ice in place. The reality is if they aren't willing to bother with a "fill the bowl" game anymore, its pretty clear the women won't be back in the Kohl again.

I've made my feelings about LaBahn clear in the past - I think it is going to do long term harm to the fan base of women's hockey. Keeping people from going to the games is a big part of it. If people don't think they can get a ticket, they aren't going to check it out. Last year, the team was drawing 3k fans to Sunday afternoon games, once football season was over, so this was very predictable. I'm just curious if it will happen again when Duluth comes to town again in a few weeks.
            My guess is that they may not have wanted to move any games in this inaugural season at LaBahn no matter the demand . However, the rivalries with Minnesota, UMD and North Dakota (plus throw in Ohio State for good measure) aren't going anywhere and I think there will be external pressure to move a game or two to Kohl Center after this year.

If LaBahn was in the 4,000-5,000 capacity range, I don't think sellouts would be a bad thing. Makes it more of an event.

Now, it's just more of a reminder that corners were cut that negatively affect the women's team. How many more seats could have been sold with 4 more days and gameday walk-up? Who knows?

Comment

There are currently ads on Craigslist looking for tickets for the Sunday game. Not sure if that's happened before for a women's sporting event here in Madison.

Comment

Question I wanted to ask regarding the Friday / Sunday scheduling. Aren't many teams squeezed per operating costs, including travel budgets which would experience added strain upon those budgets...lodging, meals etc.? Could the practice impact a teams willingness to schedule a NC series in Madison?
                Minnesota Hockey

Comment

From the UW:

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-ho...-W-Hockey.html

Looks like there are video options, but I don't know what (if any) the cost is.

Comment

From the State Journal:

http://host.madison.com/sports/colle...a4bcf887a.html

Look, it's a nice streak and all, but if Minnesota wins Friday yet Wisconsin comes back and wins on Sunday (in front of a full house), it will be considered a successful weekend at least from my standpoint. It's championship banners that hang from LaBahn Arena, not winning streaks.

Comment

Better than average video quality from UW in my past experience. Was once no charge but is no longer. Only beef I've had in the past is a slight reluctance to show replays of opponents goals or close calls while showing replays of rather unspectacular plays of the home team. At least as perceived by this opponent fan.
                      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
                        Boy, the original design for 4,400 looks really good right about now. Wonder if they will consider moving games to Kohl (if available) for high-demand games like this.
                        The rodentettes should be scheduled at the KC every year, not @ LaBahn.

I just wish they didn't cheap the place out (size and theater vs bench seats) like they did. I read a fortune cookie once that said "if you are going to do something, do it right or not at all."

A friend of mine wanted to buy tickets for 10 kids before the game, guess he's outta luck.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

"It's a Great Day for Hockey"

Temps in the teens, overcast sky, light snow and the #1 Gophers in town.

With the notable exception of the 2:00 faceoff time, it's the perfect environment for a big rivalry game.

Go Badgers & On Wisconsin!

Comment

With the 2-0 loss, Wisconsin has scored only 2 goals in eight losses and have been shutout 6 times. The offensive struggles continue....

Looking forward to going Sunday and see if we can get the split and some much needed conference points.

Comment

I guess the day/time issue Friday with the mighty rodents wasn't much of an issue at all attendance-wise. I think the opponent had a lot to do with that. I can't imagine Bemiji drawing 1700 on a Friday afternoon. Provided the KC isn't being used today by wbb, UW should have shifted today's game over there. They had enough time to change things around. The UW is turning away a lot of fans (and $$$) today.

I don't think UW would have had adequate parking yesterday aft to host mbb and women's hockey in the afternoon.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I don't know what UW considers their official reason for not being able to hold events at both Kohl and LaBahn at the same time (or even within several hours of each other) but parking should never be one of them. There's more than enough parking in Downtown Madison to handle the 20k people if both buildings are sold out. Sure, fans might have to walk a little farther, but there's a whole lot more parking near the Kohl Center than there is around Camp Randal, and they never seem to have a problem with parking for a sold out football game.

The arena had a decent crowd Friday, especially for a 2pm weekday game, but that 1700 number seems a little optimistic and probably includes a lot of season ticket holders who didn't make the game. I would have guessed there were a whole lot more than 500 empty seats. I didn't make it until near the end of the 1st period, and had no problem sitting exactly where I wanted.

As far as the actual game goes, I was incredibly impressed by the Gopher defense. They were excellent at blocking shots, and keeping Raty from even needing to make many quality saves. It was also the first time all year I saw a team completely neutralize Decker. I go into a game these days expecting her to make a few amazing plays, and she was pretty much stopped on Friday.

Comment

Working...
                                X