Wisconsin Badgers 2012-2013 - The LaBahn Era Begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2012-2013 - The LaBahn Era Begins

Unfortunately, Badgers lose 3-1 and have to settle for a split against Ohio State. In Wisconsin's four losses this year, they have scored 1 goal total. Consistent goal-scoring is probably going to be an issue all year.

With Minnesota's obscene start and every other team having 4 or more conference losses, it's really a battle for 2nd and 3rd place (and a spot in the NCAAs) from this point on.

Comment

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-ho...-W-Hockey.html

Needless to say, Badgers need two wins to make sure next weekend against the Gophers still has possible regular season title implications.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
        Needless to say, Badgers need two wins to make sure next weekend against the Gophers still has possible regular season title implications.
        For sure, and even then any remaining title hopes for Wisconsin will be difficult, at best. Assuming the Badgers can sweep the Huskies - which is by no means a sure thing - their next league series will be against Minnesota, North Dakota, Ohio State, North Dakota and Minnesota again - 10 games against some of the best the WCHA has to offer. While there is still plenty of opportunity to gain ground on the teams ahead of them, Wisconsin would need to play at a much higher level, and do so more consistently than what they've shown thus far, if they hope to mount a serious challenge to Minnesota for the regular season title. They are currently 14 points behind the Gophers, and could conceivably make up 12 points with outright wins in all four of their head-to-head games. And even if that were to happen, they would still need some help, hoping the Gophers would stumble elsewhere, as well as a big winning streak of their own against everyone else. Not impossible, but looking at the facts I think you would have to conclude that the Badgers chances of overtaking the Gophers (as well as OSU and UND who are ahead of them) are very slim, at best, at this point.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I understand how long the odds are at this point. Wisconsin, along with OSU, Duluth and North Dakota have pretty used up their margin of error as far as the regular season title goes. I guess I hate conceding it as early as Thanksgiving weekend.

Comment

I understand how long the odds are at this point. Wisconsin, along with OSU, Duluth and North Dakota have pretty used up their margin of error as far as the regular season title goes. I guess I hate conceding it as early as Thanksgiving weekend.
            Sometimes Women's Hockey is boring when a disproportionate amount of the "top talent" goes to a 1,2 or 3 teams. U of MN, Wisco, ect. This is a major issue on the Women's side, over by Thanksgiving. It doesn't exactly make for a good Pennant Race.

Comment

A lot can change between now and the end of February. Minnesota had a big lead in the standings in 2010, then Räty went to the Olympics and UMD came back to get a share of the title.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
                Sometimes Women's Hockey is boring when a disproportionate amount of the "top talent" goes to a 1,2 or 3 teams. U of MN, Wisco, ect. This is a major issue on the Women's side, over by Thanksgiving. It doesn't exactly make for a good Pennant Race.
                The quality of the pennant race is really immaterial. If the goal was to have tight pennant races, I'm sure someone could come up with contrived rules that would level the playing field. Recruit better players, play better hockey, win more games.

I looking forward to the game today, I'm bringing the 3 kids down for it.

Let's go RED!
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
                  While I agree that elite talent collects at the top of the WCHA and leads to haves and have-nots, the regular season race is usually competitive. This year, all the pieces have fallen in place for Minnesota and are in the process of running away with it. However, this is an exception rather than the rule.

Comment

So...Kelter up front in a search for added scoring seems to have been a smart move eh?
                    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                      So...Kelter up front in a search for added scoring seems to have been a smart move eh?
                      Very glad to see her on the hockey team 100% of the time. Her new found scoring prowess is a pleasant surprise. Also adds a lot of grit and energy.

Badgers probably played their best home game of the year in front of a nice sized Black Friday crowd (1,900+). Four straight home shutouts.

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                        Fer sure.

UW played a dominate game yesterday, which was a relief to see. This was a team they should have beat up on paper and did. Now let's finish the deal gals and get the sweep.

The crowd was pretty good. I HATE the music being played between the whisltes, especailly after a goal, it makes sieving harder to do and less impactful. I loved the guy who yelled "faceoff, faceoff rip her faceoff! OIY!" That was pretty cool. Then when we started the "gopher rejects" chant, he jumped right in. I think that chant demoralized St. Cloud, the floodgates opened right after we did that one.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Tied 1-1 after one. Decker gets the Badgers on the board first, but the Huskies answer ending the home shutout streak.

Comment

Adventurous 2nd period. St. Cloud scores two more before Packer cuts it to 3-2. Badgers squander an extended 5-on-3 power play and are still down by one going into the third. Wisconsin is also down Alev Kelter as she got the game misconduct in the first period.
                            Not to be overly dramatic, but the Badgers simply cannot afford a home loss to St. Cloud.

Comment

Wisconsin is also down Alev Kelter as she got the game misconduct in the first period.
                              Wow. With 41 penalty minutes through two, that box score makes it look like UND and UMD are playing.

Comment

Furious comeback by the Badgers on the third. Goals by Packer, Berg (first as a Badger), Unser (first of the year) and an empty netter by Decker clinch the win...and earn free Culvers for the fans for good measure.

Comment

Working...
                                X